Your greatest comic book disappointments

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann
Re: Your greatest comic book disappointments

Post by Jace »

Heath wrote:
Jace wrote:
Heath wrote:What's happened with Ghost Rider the last few years. I'm a huge fan of the character, particularly the 70s Johnny Blaze version. The late 80s/early 90s Dan Ketch was also really good for a while (and made Mark Texeira the definitive Ghost Rider artist), then it got too complicated and wallowed in mediocrity before being cancelled. Then Garth Ennis got a hold of the character and told the same crappy unoriginal story he always tells. Then there was finally a spark of excellence when the new ongoing launched with Daniel Way writing and Mark Texeira back on art, and Johnny Blaze as the title character. For me, this was the best Ghost Rider. A lone biker, haunted by a demon, running into trouble and dealing out vengeance. I thought Daniel Way really nailed what I loved so much about the character. He understood the core biker part, which nobody else has. And Mark Texeira's art is just the absolute perfect fit for the character. Then, Jason Aaron came along and took the book right back to the same overly complicated crap from the 90's with a mix of Garth Ennis's "God is just as bad as Satan" crap thrown in. And things got worse from there.

And now, they've announced a new Ghost Rider. And he drives a car. A freaking car. Ghost Rider driving a freaking car. It's a '69 Dodge Charger, which is awesome, but still, Ghost Rider in a car? facepalm
Heath I get the feeling you are an Evil Knievil fan. Remember those bad *SQUEE* toys in the late 70's/Early 80's?
Yes! I love Evel Knievel! Was a huge fan as a kid and had a lot of merchandise. I don't have any of that original stuff, but I do have some replica toys including the stunt motorcycle and launcher.
I had that launcher with the crank, that things was awesome!!!!!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Heath wrote:Really, the art and character design is really horrible.

Another disappointment I have is Spider-Man. Things were going pretty great until Quesada started interfering with JMS culminating in One More Day and the total continuity screw up of Brand New Day. It was enough to make me stop buying Spider-Man comics and that hurt.
Oh wow, that concept for GR looks terrible! I have to say that the Marvel Now era has been my biggest disappointment in comics overall - I stopped reading anything marvel at that point & have yet to see anything to inspire me to come back... I actually really miss following the Marvel universe too, it was once my favourite.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

obijuan
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: Rai 0
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite artist: Patrick Zircher

Post by obijuan »

The departure of Jim Lee from Uncanny X-Men, Todd McFarlane leaving Spider-Man, the price hikes, Peter making a deal with the devil to save an old lady but could care less about his baby, Superman not wearing his red trunks, the death of Michael Turner, "Battle of the Atom", not collecting The Walking Dead from the beginning, Sentinel, that the Illuminati being pricks and sending the Hulk into space, Legion, the New 52, Marvel Now, point issues(for example 700.1, 700.2), Jim Lee never drawing Wolverine again, Haunt, Gary Frank not drawing Superman, Peter David not writing Incredible Hulk, Marvel and DC not caring about the loyal customer base and caring more about the "new reader",and that's just from the top of my head. :rant:

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

obijuan wrote:... the death of Michael Turner ...

I'd call that the biggest tragedy, though I am certainly disappointed in the quality of Aspen books since he has been gone.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

The Death (and ensuing return) of Superman.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Some of this crap I didn't know about, like putting Ghost Rider in a car, albeit a 69 Charger.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Williams and Blackman leaving Batwoman.

The constant editoral interference at DC driving away top notch creators.

The run of Transformers comics from IDW written by Simon Furman.

Marvel cancelling and restarting every comic book.

Everything and everyone in the DCU revolves around Batman.

The Transformers: Heart of Darkness I never want to see DnA near the TFs again.

Vertigo's death sprial.

Late books by big name creators. I mean Peter David had a freaking stroke and he still made all his deadlines on X-Factor and it was a bi-weekly comic as well and yet Neil Gaiman can't write a damn 6 issue mini-series without the second issue being late. And don't get started on Mark Millar and Grant Morrison's excuses.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Cyberstrike wrote:Williams and Blackman leaving Batwoman.

The constant editoral interference at DC driving away top notch creators.

The run of Transformers comics from IDW written by Simon Furman.

Marvel cancelling and restarting every comic book.

Everything and everyone in the DCU revolves around Batman.

The Transformers: Heart of Darkness I never want to see DnA near the TFs again.

Vertigo's death sprial.

Late books by big name creators. I mean Peter David had a freaking stroke and he still made all his deadlines on X-Factor and it was a bi-weekly comic as well and yet Neil Gaiman can't write a damn 6 issue mini-series without the second issue being late. And don't get started on Mark Millar and Grant Morrison's excuses.
I like your list.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Never really got in to Ghost Rider, that glow in the dark cover was pretty rad. That new design is pretty lame. I'm surprised they aren't keeping him on the bike and making him join a biker gang to try to cash in on some of the Sons of Anarchy popularity.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

Death of Mike Wieringo. I wasn't into his art for a long time but loved the work he did on Fantastic Four with Mark Waid. I've since come back around to enjoy everything he did. I read the What If? issue he was working on at the time of his death, which they completed with other artists through the Hero Initiative. The back cover to that book just bums me out to no end.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

chriskay99 wrote:Death of Mike Wieringo. I wasn't into his art for a long time but loved the work he did on Fantastic Four with Mark Waid. I've since come back around to enjoy everything he did. I read the What If? issue he was working on at the time of his death, which they completed with other artists through the Hero Initiative. The back cover to that book just bums me out to no end.
Very sad, indeed. Loved his FF work, too, along with his other stuff.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:Never really got in to Ghost Rider, that glow in the dark cover was pretty rad. That new design is pretty lame. I'm surprised they aren't keeping him on the bike and making him join a biker gang to try to cash in on some of the Sons of Anarchy popularity.
See, Mark Rose gets it... And he's not even a fan. :?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

grendeljd wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:Never really got in to Ghost Rider, that glow in the dark cover was pretty rad. That new design is pretty lame. I'm surprised they aren't keeping him on the bike and making him join a biker gang to try to cash in on some of the Sons of Anarchy popularity.

My GUESS is that Marvel thinks that to attract new readers to Ghost Rider that he shouldn't be on a bike because they think shows like Sons of Anarchy is for old people (ie people who already read their comics) and that younger fans would want a Ghost Rider that rides around in a car Vin Desiel rides in the Fast and Furious films.

That's my guess anyway.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Cyberstrike wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

My GUESS is that Marvel thinks that to attract new readers to Ghost Rider that he shouldn't be on a bike because they think shows like Sons of Anarchy is for old people (ie people who already read their comics) and that younger fans would want a Ghost Rider that rides around in a car Vin Desiel rides in the Fast and Furious films.

That's my guess anyway.
let's hope he's a better driver than Paul Walker
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

That's my guess anyway.
dude... facepalm
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

That's my guess anyway.
Man, that's almost as bad as KXXX telling the Down syndrome chromosome joke. Definitely a laugh, but I feel all dirty afterwards.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

That's my guess anyway.
Man, that's almost as bad as KXXX telling the Down syndrome chromosome joke. Definitely a laugh, but I feel all dirty afterwards.
I do feel bad that the dude passed away...BUT.....he did die because he was an idiot speeding around in his Porsche.

PSN- gorakthebunny

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Poison Elves relaunch.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

Heath wrote:Really, the art and character design is really horrible.

Another disappointment I have is Spider-Man. Things were going pretty great until Quesada started interfering with JMS culminating in One More Day and the total continuity screw up of Brand New Day. It was enough to make me stop buying Spider-Man comics and that hurt.
regular Ghost Rider will be in the Thunderbolts.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

rambone wrote:the Poison Elves reboot :!:
jedimarley wrote:Poison Elves relaunch.
Wow, two people said this. I picked up the first issue of the reboot but still haven't bothered to read it. Guess I'm not missing out on anything. I'd kind of lost interest in the series over the years and sold all of the issues I had a few months ago.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Regular Ghost Rider is not a team player.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Heath
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

And am I the only one disappointed in Spider-Man and his continuity boondoggle?
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Heath wrote:And am I the only one disappointed in Spider-Man and his continuity boondoggle?
:hi:

I keep hoping they undo it all eventually.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

myron wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

That's my guess anyway.
dude... facepalm
Too soon? :?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Heath wrote:Regular Ghost Rider is not a team player.
As opposed to... Diet Ghost Rider? Almost the whole Thunderbolts team is made up of not team players - Red Hulk, Punisher, Elektra, Deadpool, Flash Thompson Venom, The Leader and Mercy.