East of West Thread---WOW!!

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
Re: East of West Thread---WOW!!

Post by iggy101us »

Sketch of Crow by Nick Dragotta on 5/3/2014 in Alameda.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Sweet sketch, Iggy! :clap:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:Sweet sketch, Iggy! :clap:
x2 I'm jealous.
Right now, besides a Batman by Greg C. my dream sketch would be something like that.
I seriously got the hots for the Crow. In a decent, comic fanboy way. :P
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Who has read #12? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:Who has read #12? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Of course I did. Didn't post about it because I was up late reading Divergent with my wife (great book btw). I really enjoyed this issue. Really cool seeing a female Ranger. The whole issue was a big WTH moment.

I was a little confused as to how Cheveyo put his spirit into Bel Solomon, but it was awesome nonetheless. Really interesting about the Endless Nation being interdependent on machines as that's quite the opposite of how Native American peoples are portrayed. Interesting that they divide out as magic vs. technology.

Xiaolian was kick - *SQUEE* as usual.

I was completely taken off guard by the Doma Lux betrayal - I had no clue she would become more than a background character.

Also, I assume Chamberlain murdered the Confederate president?

Overall, an awesome issue, but so far #6 and #10 remain my favorites.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

ShadowTuga wrote: I seriously got the hots for the Crow. In a decent, comic fanboy way. :P
My hots for her is nowhere near "decent."

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Yet another fantastic issue, for sure. The world-building and characterization continues with Hickman's signature slow-burn style.

lorddunlow wrote:
Of course I did. Didn't post about it because I was up late reading Divergent with my wife (great book btw). I really enjoyed this issue. Really cool seeing a female Ranger. The whole issue was a big WTH moment.

I was a little confused as to how Cheveyo put his spirit into Bel Solomon, but it was awesome nonetheless. Really interesting about the Endless Nation being interdependent on machines as that's quite the opposite of how Native American peoples are portrayed. Interesting that they divide out as magic vs. technology.

I was completely taken off guard by the Doma Lux betrayal - I had no clue she would become more than a background character.

I was surprised by Doma Lux, as well. First we get clued in on the fact that she seems to be a Dom (Which was never indicated, earlier), then we see she has some of her own orchestrations up her sleeve.

As for the other topic, I assume the same......Chamberlain murdered the Confederate President. I wonder if it's so he can take control, himself, or perhaps the replacement will be subservient to Chamberlain.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Savant wrote:Yet another fantastic issue, for sure. The world-building and characterization continues with Hickman's signature slow-burn style.

lorddunlow wrote:

I was surprised by Doma Lux, as well. First we get clued in on the fact that she seems to be a Dom (Which was never indicated, earlier), then we see she has some of her own orchestrations up her sleeve.

As for the other topic, I assume the same......Chamberlain murdered the Confederate President. I wonder if it's so he can take control, himself, or perhaps the replacement will be subservient to Chamberlain.
I'm in agreement with Savant - Chamberlin had to have done it, I'm sure he will be looking to find someone subservient to him.

I'm also curious about Cheveyo possessing Bel Solomon. That was very cool, though between that & the Doma Lux character, it's got me thinking its time for me to do a re-read of the series.

Clearly more than a few factions are spoiling for war here - and not all in order to follow The Message to bring on an apocalypse.

Savant

Post by Savant »

grendeljd wrote:
Savant wrote:Yet another fantastic issue, for sure. The world-building and characterization continues with Hickman's signature slow-burn style.

lorddunlow wrote:

I'm in agreement with Savant - Chamberlin had to have done it, I'm sure he will be looking to find someone subservient to him.

I'm also curious about Cheveyo possessing Bel Solomon. That was very cool, though between that & the Doma Lux character, it's got me thinking its time for me to do a re-read of the series.

Clearly more than a few factions are spoiling for war here - and not all in order to follow The Message to bring on an apocalypse.

Cheveyo possessing Bel Solomon was definitely a surprise, although it's probably linked to that attack Bel Solomon endured a few issues earlier. Cheveyo may have left some sort of spiritual/magical residue on Bel, so to speak, so as to be able to possess him if something happens to Cheveyo's physical form.....That wily guy apparently thinks a few moves ahead.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

#13 out today! Can't wait to read it!

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Cool Hickman interview from Bleeding Cool.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/03/ ... world-cup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:#13 out today! Can't wait to read it!
+1 - I glanced through it & saw the Ranger in the first few pages... Excited for this!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
+1 - I glanced through it & saw the Ranger in the first few pages... Excited for this!

I saw someone say something about Ranger and Death on Twitter today and really wished I'd slacked off some last night and read it. (I was up until 4AM catching up on paperwork :( )

Savant

Post by Savant »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

I saw someone say something about Ranger and Death on Twitter today and really wished I'd slacked off some last night and read it. (I was up until 4AM catching up on paperwork :( )

I'm not the Ranger fan you are, but I would have been doing myself a disservice if I delayed reading this issue like you have....It's a fantastic issue. More action-oriented than the previous issue (And I LOVED issue #12), but still has character development along the way.

East of West continues to be the best ongoing comic on the shelves today.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Savant wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

I'm not the Ranger fan you are, but I would have been doing myself a disservice if I delayed reading this issue like you have....It's a fantastic issue. More action-oriented than the previous issue (And I LOVED issue #12), but still has character development along the way.

East of West continues to be the best ongoing comic on the shelves today.
Read it last night.

O.

M.

G.

Death & the Ranger. So. Freakin. Awesome. :clap: :clap:

And the stuff that happened with The Wolf - also supremely cool (am I right on his name? Son of Cheveyo?).

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I think I need a cigarette after that one...

Best *SQUEE* book ever.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I went to my LCS today, and amidst talk about Valiant's movie news, Batman comics and action figures, I totally forgot to check if my copy was on the pile. Guess what, it weasn't. :!: :!: :!:

So *SQUEE* off, I really wanted to "experience" the physical copy first this month. Have been holding on the digital, but if they don't have a copy on the store tomorrow, that's what I'm getting.

facepalm and again :!: :!: :!:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ShadowTuga wrote:I went to my LCS today, and amidst talk about Valiant's movie news, Batman comics and action figures, I totally forgot to check if my copy was on the pile. Guess what, it weasn't. :!: :!: :!:

So *SQUEE* off, I really wanted to "experience" the physical copy first this month. Have been holding on the digital, but if they don't have a copy on the store tomorrow, that's what I'm getting.

facepalm and again :!: :!: :!:
Download it now. Seriously. It is very awesome.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I just finished reading my entire VEI montlies and had a lot of awesomeness as well. It calmed me down. 8-) Tomorrow I'm on that store first thing first. You guys drooling all over it is not helping my restrain. :P

EDIT- Damn, this will only be avialable to me at the end of THIS month. :(
Off to comixology he goes. Will post my thoughts after reading it.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Just read #14. This book is so good. *SQUEE* is about to go down. :popcorn:

I cannot understand how everyone doesn't love this book. Hickman has quite a way with words (both crude and eloquent).

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

lorddunlow wrote:Just read #14. This book is so good. *SQUEE* is about to go down. :popcorn:

I cannot understand how everyone doesn't love this book. Hickman has quite a way with words (both crude and eloquent).
I decided to hold off reading 13 in digital format at the last minute, because it arrived this week to my store. I hope 14 is there also.
I haven't read EoW in more than a month now- getting cranky and anxious. :!:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Just read #14. This book is so good. *SQUEE* is about to go down. :popcorn:

I can't wait to read it! I flipped through it today but haven't sat down to fully get into it yet. Some crazy awesome visuals in there...

Did you need a cigarette after, again? :lol:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:

I can't wait to read it! I flipped through it today but haven't sat down to fully get into it yet. Some crazy awesome visuals in there...

Did you need a cigarette after, again? :lol:
Not quite as good as last issue, but that was a major climax issue (sentient what I did there?) and this one was set up for the next several confrontations.

Endless Nation is bad-a$$

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I finally got around to read 13, and it was worth every minute of it.
#14 was not yet on my pull (like every other comic that came out this week- meaning no X-O and AH:Harbinger for me :( so my plan for a double dose of EoW goodness was blown.
But this issue alone was a :o fest. I don't know what to say about it, except it's really friggin' awesome and it's now my favourite issue. Instant re-read material. No emoticons can portray the awesomeness of East of West but :cloud9: it's close enwoof. :P
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ShadowTuga wrote:I finally got around to read 13, and it was worth every minute of it.
#14 was not yet on my pull (like every other comic that came out this week- meaning no X-O and AH:Harbinger for me :( so my plan for a double dose of EoW goodness was blown.
But this issue alone was a :o fest. I don't know what to say about it, except it's really friggin' awesome and it's now my favourite issue. Instant re-read material. No emoticons can portray the awesomeness of East of West but :cloud9: it's close enwoof. :P
Definitely best book currently on the shelves, in my opinion.