East of West Thread---WOW!!

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
East of West Thread---WOW!!

Post by Lightning Strike »

So I'm a huge Hickman fan and buy everything (or at least try) anything he writes. I finally sat down and read the first six issues of this series and was floored! This is such an incredible book!

I thought Hickman's run on FF was magnificent, but this?? There are no words to describe it's greatness. It's not just Hickman's writing, or the fabulous, intriguing story, or the mass of interesting characters but the artwork is slick and perfect for this book as well. I can't wait to read issue #7!

If you haven't tried this book yet, get yourself to the comic book store and get it now. You won't be disappointed. This is amazing and now my favorite book!

Can we please start a thread for this book? And if you have read it, please mark spoilers when applicable. I'd really love to hear what others have to say about this book :)

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: East of West Thread---WOW!!

Post by lorddunlow »

I could have sworn that I did start one, but I obviously didn't.

We definitely need a thread. It's awesome. Are we allowing spoilers?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

The GN for the first 5? issues is only $10.

Oh, and I know I will be sounding like a broken record, but at least I am not the only one now :) :

Jonathan Hickman is the BEST writer in comics right now, PERIOD!

Mandatory reading, in my personal order of "greatness":
Pax Romana GN
New Avengers + Avengers from the beginning of his run + Infinity 1-6 (5 is the latest)
East of West GN + singles
Shield HC + more to come
Nightly News GN
Fantastic Four / FF Run (graphic novels or a complete Omnibus vol 1,2, only first one is out)
Secret Warriors run (graphic novels, or a complete Omnibus available)
Transhuman GN
Ultimate Comics .... (few things all great)
The rest from Image (all about equally good imho, none AMAZING): Red Mass for Mars, Red Wing, Manhattan Projects, Secret
God is Dead from Avatar

BTW, a little self promotion but only 'cause it's awesome. We flew Jonathan over to the store when Fanatastic Four #1 came out and he did some interviews for us. Here are two of them. Just remember this is when his first Marvel work came out, before the fame before Avengers, East West or the rest. All he had pretty much was Pax, Nightly News, Transhuman, Fantastic Four #1 (plus a few other misc. marvel books, including a great FF mini-series that is SUPER underrated, if you read his main run, it's part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7awgjVLEn0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Y4boJ_SPU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

paradise wrote:The GN for the first 5? issues is only $10.

Oh, and I know I will be sounding like a broken record, but at least I am not the only one now :) :

Mandatory reading, in my personal order of "greatness":
Pax Romana GN
New Avengers + Avengers from the beginning of his run + Infinity 1-6 (5 is the latest)
East of West GN + singles
Shield HC + more to come
Nightly News GN
Fantastic Four / FF Run (graphic novels or a complete Omnibus vol 1,2, only first one is out)
Secret Warriors run (graphic novels, or a complete Omnibus available)
Transhuman GN
Ultimate Comics .... (few things all great)
The rest from Image (all about equally good imho, none AMAZING): Red Mass for Mars, Red Wing, Manhattan Projects, Secret
God is Dead from Avatar

BTW, a little self promotion but only 'cause it's awesome. We flew Jonathan over to the store when Fanatastic Four #1 came out and he did some interviews for us. Here are two of them. Just remember this is when his first Marvel work came out, before the fame before Avengers, East West or the rest. All he had pretty much was Pax, Nightly News, Transhuman, Fantastic Four #1 (plus a few other misc. marvel books, including a great FF mini-series that is SUPER underrated, if you read his main run, it's part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7awgjVLEn0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Y4boJ_SPU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crap. I hate you Ed. There were a few on there I didn't have on my list. More books to read. It is a good problem to have.

Lightning Strike

lorddunlow wrote:I could have sworn that I did start one, but I obviously didn't.

We definitely need a thread. It's awesome. Are we allowing spoilers?
Yep yep, just give a heads up spoiler warning first for those who haven't read it yet.

Lightning Strike

paradise wrote:
Absolutely, positively! :thumb:
paradise wrote:Fantastic Four / FF Run (graphic novels or a complete Omnibus vol 1,2, only first one is out)
I'm a big FF fan and outside of Byrne's run, Hickman's is THE best FF run. Yes, even better than Lee/Kirby. Yeah, that's right, I said it.
paradise wrote:Secret Warriors run (graphic novels, or a complete Omnibus available)
I have the Omnibus of this. I remember reading it and not wanting to stop or put it down. It was totally addictive.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

I bought the first TPB a few weeks ago bc it was only 9.99. LOVED it. i'll definitely be buying all the trades as they come out. I really dig The Manhattan Projects too that book is so fun and out there.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

paradise
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:I bought the first TPB a few weeks ago bc it was only 9.99. LOVED it. i'll definitely be buying all the trades as they come out. I really dig The Manhattan Projects too that book is so fun and out there.
PAX ROMANA will change your life. 2nd and still the best thing I have read by him.

Hook: Future, where Europe is overrun buy Muslims, dying Catholic church puts all their wealth into time travel technology, and sends a garrison of troops with tanks and satellites into Rome at the time right before Constantin's first Bible. New history starts.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

paradise wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:I bought the first TPB a few weeks ago bc it was only 9.99. LOVED it. i'll definitely be buying all the trades as they come out. I really dig The Manhattan Projects too that book is so fun and out there.
PAX ROMANA will change your life. 2nd and still the best thing I have read by him.

Hook: Future, where Europe is overrun buy Muslims, dying Catholic church puts all their wealth into time travel technology, and sends a garrison of troops with tanks and satellites into Rome at the time right before Constantin's first Bible. New history starts.
I've been meaning to read Pax Romana for years, but it always slips my mind. I also greatly enjoy Manhattan Projects...that *SQUEE* is totally insane and I love it. As a history teacher, and sci-fi lover, that sort of alternate history stuff really appeals to me and I'm sure Pax Romana would as well.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Besides VEI (honestly Harby and XO) EoW was the #1 book I talked about
At Comikaze.
Right now, for me it's right below harbinger (tied with XO) as my favorite read.
I was pushing it a few weeks ago on OTV.
It's great.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Manhattan Projects was my #1 book when I started reading it, but I'm pretty sure East of West will be taking that slot soon.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

paradise wrote:

sold. it's on my must buy list now :thumb:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Hot diggity! East of West #7 comes out tomorrow!

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

:clap:

Lightning Strike

Anyone read issue #7 yet? Another fantastic issue! Loved it!

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

I picked up the first trade today just based on this thread. Hickman will be distributing his royalty check to everyone in this thread. Or...at least I'll tell him he should. Looking forward to checking it out. I know nothing about the story going in.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

I find these days you just can't go wrong with an Image vol 1 TPB that's only 9.99.

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I just finished #7. Awesome as usual. Some really interesting reveals. The color of the horsemen seems to reflect something. It seems that the "mother" switched horsemen (I'll have to reread to make sure). Also, the three horsemen who are still together have the same three colors represented, but Death has changed from black to white.

This is a beefy read every month. Every issue answers one question, but poses three more, which I love. I wish we'd see some more Xiaolian - she's awesome.

I really get the feeling when reading this that I'm getting in on the ground level of "the next big thing" in comics. I could really see this becoming the next The Walking Dead.

Lightning Strike

lorddunlow wrote:I just finished #7. Awesome as usual. Some really interesting reveals. The color of the horsemen seems to reflect something. It seems that the "mother" switched horsemen (I'll have to reread to make sure). Also, the three horsemen who are still together have the same three colors represented, but Death has changed from black to white.
I noticed that too
lorddunlow wrote:This is a beefy read every month. Every issue answers one question, but poses three more, which I love. I wish we'd see some more Xiaolian - she's awesome.
Yep, I hope we see more of her. My favorite right now though is Death
lorddunlow wrote:I really get the feeling when reading this that I'm getting in on the ground level of "the next big thing" in comics. I could really see this becoming the next The Walking Dead.
It would be cool if it did become the next WD. Can you imagine if this eventually became a tv series? Awesome!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

This is definitely one of my top favourite non-VEI books. :thumb: :thumb:

Bought #7 but haven't read it yet ( I might after posting this!).

It would be amazing if it did become another TWD phenomenon. I think I'd prefer to see it as a cartoon tv show adaptation though - Dragotta's style is so slick, it makes me think of Akira (the movie) when I read it.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Lightning Strike wrote:Anyone read issue #7 yet? Another fantastic issue! Loved it!
It just got into my possession. I will be reading it soon.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Elveen wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:Anyone read issue #7 yet? Another fantastic issue! Loved it!
It just got into my possession. I will be reading it soon.
Just read it last night. Awesome!
Lightning Strike wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I just finished #7. Awesome as usual. Some really interesting reveals. The color of the horsemen seems to reflect something. It seems that the "mother" switched horsemen (I'll have to reread to make sure). Also, the three horsemen who are still together have the same three colors represented, but Death has changed from black to white.
I noticed that too
Noted as well - I think the 'mother' horseman, or Conquest, is blue in both iterations shown in this issue - do you mean it has changed from previous issues? There is definitely more obvious significance to Death changing from black to white.

I'm very curious as to who or what the travellers with Death represent, as he himself is a horseman of the apocalypse - gonna have to look up famous 'death' quotes to see if Hickman is drawing from other literary or pop culture references with them...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote: Noted as well - I think the 'mother' horseman, or Conquest, is blue in both iterations shown in this issue - do you mean it has changed from previous issues? There is definitely more obvious significance to Death changing from black to white.
I just read it again. I must have just been confused. I thought Conquest and Famine had swapped colors, but I was wrong.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I picked up the first trade today. I was bored and wandered through Barnes and Noble and happened to see a copy so I grabbed it. Opened it up tonight and couldn't put it down till I was finished. Pretty *SQUEE* awesome.

I love the alternate history stuff (which again reminds me to pick up Pax Romana) and Hickman is just so disturbingly brilliant. The art is pretty damn spiffy too. There's a lot of backstory that is slowly unfolding that makes it a little difficult to muddle through at first, but should make future reads that much better.

Just wondering: Is there a map of the "7 Nations of America" anywhere?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

BugsySig wrote:I picked up the first trade today. I was bored and wandered through Barnes and Noble and happened to see a copy so I grabbed it. Opened it up tonight and couldn't put it down till I was finished. Pretty *SQUEE* awesome.

I love the alternate history stuff (which again reminds me to pick up Pax Romana) and Hickman is just so disturbingly brilliant. The art is pretty damn spiffy too. There's a lot of backstory that is slowly unfolding that makes it a little difficult to muddle through at first, but should make future reads that much better.

Just wondering: Is there a map of the "7 Nations of America" anywhere?
Yes. In the books