East of West Thread---WOW!!

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: East of West Thread---WOW!!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Elveen wrote:I'm super interested in Xaiolain (SP?).

The woman that conquered Death...... sign me up.
:thumb:

coachjamie
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2013

Post by coachjamie »

Looking forward to issue #10!!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Best. Book. Ever.

Seriously. Everyone should be reading this series.

Issue 10 was perfect.
I almost didn't care that this issue didn't have any Rangers... And then it did. Bad *SQUEE*.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

How has no one read this yet? Chime in, people!

Seriously awesome comic book stuff here. I'm going to read it again right now before Unity - and I love Unity.

I love all of these awesome characters, and I especially love how in this issue he fleshed out one of the chosen into a very cool character that had lots of potential, but then killed him off I was truly shocked and confused. And then I crapped my pants by the awesomeness of the last page reveal.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I read Unity after my second read of East of West #10.

I'm going to re-read the whole run now.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

I thought it never came- got delayed 2 times. Will chime in tonight. ;P
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

When does the 2nd TPB come out? Anyone know?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:When does the 2nd TPB come out? Anyone know?
No idea. I can't wait that long. I usually read my comics at night on my Nook. I couldn't wait that long yesterday. I read EoW #10 during halftime of Grizz vs. Pelicans last night.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

BugsySig wrote:When does the 2nd TPB come out? Anyone know?
Image's website says April 9th. I hope that's correct.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Still nobody? I'm dying here. I'm going to have to resort to posting on the CGC forums aren't I?

I've read #10 about 5 times now. It's that good. The last two pages - WOW!

No spoilers, but on the penultimate page, I was like "who the heck?" until I got to the last two word bubbles in the last panel. I was then like, "awwww, hells yeah, baby!"

This *SQUEE* just got real!

Last panel was perfect.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Still nobody? I'm dying here. I'm going to have to resort to posting on the CGC forums aren't I?

I've read #10 about 5 times now. It's that good. The last two pages - WOW!

No spoilers, but on the penultimate page, I was like "who the heck?" until I got to the last two word bubbles in the last panel. I was then like, "awwww, hells yeah, baby!"

This *SQUEE* just got real!

Last panel was perfect.
lol - I got to that last page & the first thing I thought of was how freakin' excited you would be when you read it. :lol:

Truly great issue, loved it! I really need to re-read the story from the start again - so much to absorb out of it all. So very cool that Death's kid is the beast of the apocalypse. Can't wait to see what he does next... glad he is outsmarting the other horsemen - those things are all *SQUEE*, lol
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Yay! Somebody read it!

I really hadn't noticed the lack of that character through the whole issue because the story was sooo good. I was truly surprised at the reveal. Of course, I wet myself on the next to last page because the last two lines on the last panel gave away who it was. It didn't make the last page any less awesome, though.

What did you think of Cheveyo and the revelations about Death's companions?

So much seemed to happen in this issue, that it seemed to go on forever. This issue was the meatiest modern comic I've ever read. It honestly took about 30 minutes for me to read it, and even longer on my re-reads.

All told, I've read #6 about 15 times (it's my favorite single issue of any comic ever) and I read this issue 5 times so far. I've re-read the whole run 3 times now. This series wipes the floor with all other comics (even my other favorites).

Hickman is a genius.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Yay! Somebody read it!

I really hadn't noticed the lack of that character through the whole issue because the story was sooo good. I was truly surprised at the reveal. Of course, I wet myself on the next to last page because the last two lines on the last panel gave away who it was. It didn't make the last page any less awesome, though.

So much seemed to happen in this issue, that it seemed to go on forever. This issue was the meatiest modern comic I've ever read. It honestly took about 30 minutes for me to read it, and even longer on my re-reads.

All told, I've read #6 about 15 times (it's my favorite single issue of any comic ever) and I read this issue 5 times so far. I've re-read the whole run 3 times now. This series wipes the floor with all other comics (even my other favorites).

Hickman is a genius.
I think this book is seriously my favourite new comic. The Valiant books are my favourite superhero books because they do them so well, but this story transcends the medium of comics - it's just a damn good epic sci-fi concept, that just happens to also highly benefit from being told in the visual medium of sequential art.

I have to re-read this issue as well as the whole series. What other characters have we seen who are part of 'The Chosen' like Cheveyo? I thought it was cool that the wolf morphing companion was the Cheveyo's son - but was the crow girl also meant to be his daughter? When we saw that panel of him with the two kids, I thought the other looked like the Crown Prince of that African nation from 9.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:

Hickman is a genius.
I think this book is seriously my favourite new comic. The Valiant books are my favourite superhero books because they do them so well, but this story transcends the medium of comics - it's just a damn good epic sci-fi concept, that just happens to also highly benefit from being told in the visual medium of sequential art.

I have to re-read this issue as well as the whole series. What other characters have we seen who are part of 'The Chosen' like Cheveyo? I thought it was cool that the wolf morphing companion was the Cheveyo's son - but was the crow girl also meant to be his daughter? When we saw that panel of him with the two kids, I thought the other looked like the Crown Prince of that African nation from 9.
Definitely agree about the greatness of the concept. So many great characters. I find it odd that this is the only Hickman book I've read that doesn't have a character recap in each issue, since there are far more characters in this book than the others I've read. Even his Marvel books have them.

The chosen are:

Cheveyo
Antonia LeVay - President of the Union
Andrew Archibald Chamberlain - Chief of Staff of the Confederacy
Hu (Xiaolian's sister) - Security Minister of the People's Republic of America
Bel Solomon - Governor of the Republic of Texas
Ezra Orion - Keeper of the Message -the guy who was raised by Pestilence and merged with the beast-thing from the Void.
John Freeman - Prince of New Orleans

I look forward to the Ranger taking them all out. Of course two have already been dispatched.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Hickman is a genius.

Definitely agree about the greatness of the concept. So many great characters. I find it odd that this is the only Hickman book I've read that doesn't have a character recap in each issue, since there are far more characters in this book than the others I've read. Even his Marvel books have them.

The chosen are:

Cheveyo
Ezra Orion - Keeper of the Message -the guy who was raised by Pestilence and merged with the beast-thing from the Void.

I look forward to the Ranger taking them all out. Of course two have already been dispatched.
See now, thats why I need to re-read the whole thing. Just seeing that list of who the chosen are makes the whole thing make so much more sense. I should have realized it was those people - for some reason while I was reading 10, because Cheveyo was such a crazy-powerful being, I was thinking the other chosen were all supernatural beings as well.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Upon reflection, I'm going to have to say that EoW might end up residing in my top 3 all-time favourite comic series/concepts, alongside Grendel & Planetary. Kind of bold to say that as we don't know the whole picture yet or how good it will remain over whatever run it has, but I currently love the idea & execution of it that much right now.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Hickman is a genius.

The chosen are:

Cheveyo

See now, thats why I need to re-read the whole thing. Just seeing that list of who the chosen are makes the whole thing make so much more sense. I should have realized it was those people - for some reason while I was reading 10, because Cheveyo was such a crazy-powerful being, I was thinking the other chosen were all supernatural beings as well.
It's all in issue #2. All on one page actually:

It really doesn't get much better than this series. If it continues with the consistency it has had so far, and lasts at least 40 issues, then I will crown a new king of my comic collection and Sandman shall be dethroned - it really is that good.

Those of you trade waiting - you are about to read the best 5 issues in comics today. #6 and #10 may be the two best issues of any comic ever!

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

grendeljd wrote:

Hickman is a genius.

It's doubtful the crow girl was Cheveyo's daughter. Cheveyo was rather dismissive of her.....There is the possibility they had a major falling out, which would explain his indifference to her, but I doubt it. Also, it seems like Cheveyo's son and crow girl are "together".

The other kid in the flashback panel was John Freeman. I wasn't sure, at first, but dunlow's posting of that image pretty much confirms it.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I agree, Savant.

coachjamie
Valiant fan since: 2013

Post by coachjamie »

Issue #5 Death tells Xiao that their son is still alive and that they think he is the Beast of the apocalypse. I read #10 twice so far. Such a great issue and I have to say I believe it is my favorite right now as well! It will be fun seeing how they play out the other Chosen. Surely they have to be spectacular like Cheveyo I would think right??

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Just read the first two issues in the Vol. 1 tpb. What an intriguing little world! Hope the second tpb comes out soon!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Keith wrote:Just read the first two issues in the Vol. 1 tpb. What an intriguing little world! Hope the second tpb comes out soon!
You simply have had the rolls before the meal. You're not even at the soup or salad courses yet, and they are divine.

Issue ten is the appetizer with a lovely wine pairing.

I cannot wait for the main course... :drool:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Finished 10, like a couple of minutes ago.Last page must have dunlow changwed his pants. I'm not the Ranger crazy he is and I was like "this guy is *SQUEE* awesome". One page. So badass.
All the hype this book's gettin', it's well *SQUEE* deserved- issue 10 is one hell of a comic book. The visuals and the crazyness really stepped up. As if it was possible for this book to get even better, I think it just did. Cheveyo was awesomeand then some. Must re-read this.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

lorddunlow wrote:
Keith wrote:Just read the first two issues in the Vol. 1 tpb. What an intriguing little world! Hope the second tpb comes out soon!
You simply have had the rolls before the meal. You're not even at the soup or salad courses yet, and they are divine.

Dang... that makes it difficult to wait for the trade. Must ... fight... impulse comixology purchase.... :!: :!: :!:
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Keith wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Dang... that makes it difficult to wait for the trade. Must ... fight... impulse comixology purchase.... :!: :!: :!:
I'm tradewaiting for this, because this is the type of comic my friends would like most (self-contained world/series just like the great comics of all time- watchmen, maus, sin city, etc...). Harbinger is the only "partofabiggerUniverse-line" comic, I had succeeded in passing directly to non-usual readers, of all the VEI output. Because it's edgy and smart and not superheroic at all.

I'm also buying the floppies, went back and bought the early issues- thing is, I only get them 1 month after. I can't tradewait this series for myself.

And digital on release week, because this comic is really damn good, to wait one month to read it.
:high-five:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo