Create your own comic universe

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Create your own comic universe

Post by Brother Darque »

i was thinking about this the other day and i figured it would be fun to do here on the boards.

what if you could start your own comic company? start your own comic universe?

and you could get the rights to any characters you want, which characters would you use?

i would use the Gold Key Characters and the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents.

Image ImageImage

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...
Re: Create your own comic universe

Post by leonmallett »

I am kind of turn between two, and would not want to amalgamate them.

I am leaning towards Milestone, but close to that would be Ultraverse. And that would be stripping out the marvel stuff, and none of the Ellis-shepherded nihilism.

Probably Milestone, but as I say a rebooted Ultraverse could be fun, with a tone like the original launch.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I already created a comic book universe and it's a bit of Marvel and DC and some sci-fi and fantasy worlds thrown in. Ironically while my most of the new characters are insipred by DC and Marvel there are some characters from Malibu's Genesis line (namely the Public Domain characters in The Protectors and their spin-offs) used to expand some of the teams after a good chunk get maimed, killed, and displaced after the first mega crossover and unlike Marvel and DC my crossover does make some major changes to the Universe including the death of 2 team leaders and in my universe takes a page out from the orginal Valiant dead means DEAD.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I like Brother Darque's choices. If we are talking Gold/Silver Age characters, those would be a great start.

I am also an Ultraverse fan and could see a reboot starting with Prime, Hardcase, Mantra, Strangers and maybe Rune. I like the idea of all the super powered characters having an origin from a single event, as well as the tie in to the mystical past that some books offered.

I thought Kirby: Genesis had a lot of potential and could easily see starting a Universe with Captain Victory, Silver Star, Glory Knights, Galaxy Green and Dragonsbane.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

It would be fun to take some of the CrossGen characters and reboot it. I would make it all one world though, and let all of the powered people interact.
It could have a nice LOTR feel to it if you only had Brath, Sojourn and the Path Along with Way of the Rat and Ruse (revamped to be a bit older).

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Doctor Doom. Maybe a few retooled Golden age public domain characters to fill out Doom's world.

Or maybe Golgoth from Empire? He would work too.

ValiantReader
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1
Favorite character: Torque

Post by ValiantReader »

I first would want to do a Stargate comic. Defiantly a SG1 and a continuation to Stargate Destiny. Screw it i wana do a Atlantis comic too. This would be a big universe already and would have a big fan base that's been dying for some more Stargate stories. Than maybe I would add Thanos and The Guardians of the galexy into the mix. Maybe even Nova! That be a sick Universe now that I think about it.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ValiantReader wrote:I first would want to do a Stargate comic. Defiantly a SG1 and a continuation to Stargate Destiny. Screw it i wana do a Atlantis comic too. This would be a big universe already and would have a big fan base that's been dying for some more Stargate stories. Than maybe I would add Thanos and The Guardians of the galexy into the mix. Maybe even Nova! That be a sick Universe now that I think about it.
Dude. Ba'al brings together Thanos, Enabran Tain, Izambard Prince, Scorpius and Spike. That would be an awesome and unstoppable team.

And their patron is Londo Mollari.

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

Chiclo wrote:
ValiantReader wrote:I first would want to do a Stargate comic. Defiantly a SG1 and a continuation to Stargate Destiny. Screw it i wana do a Atlantis comic too. This would be a big universe already and would have a big fan base that's been dying for some more Stargate stories. Than maybe I would add Thanos and The Guardians of the galexy into the mix. Maybe even Nova! That be a sick Universe now that I think about it.
Dude. Ba'al brings together Thanos, Enabran Tain, Izambard Prince, Scorpius and Spike. That would be an awesome and unstoppable team.

Now that would be sick :high-five:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:

I think I just soiled myself - a lot. Make it so.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

We used to play D&D a lot here, and one of the other games we did was a game set in the marvel universe after the registration act.

It was a lot of fun, I was bonded with a symbiote (We are Zealot!) though had control, and I was not a homicidal maniac. I only lost control in extraordinary circumstances.

A lot went on, as we played for over 2 years in real time and it started getting pretty crazy.

Some quick highlights.

In the game I met up with spiderman, ended up getting lectured on power and responsibility.... blah blah :lol:

I was also captured by the X-men at one point (I lost control and things got too bloody), taken to the mansion and Beast/prof x were working on a way to break the bond before I was rescued.

I ended up saving a relative (daughter??) of Dr. Strange and eventually was trained in sorcery and we fought a cult of dormamuu worshipers.

We also got hooked up with the guys from Stargate as they were in this world too for some different missions.

Our "team" ended up disbanding as our cover was blown after the really bloody battle with some government agents trying to bring us in. Our different members went our separate ways, I ended up joining x-factor and once things calmed down at our home base (about 6 months later in game time) I left X-factor, stole their database and a helicopter and booked it back home :lol:

We ended up also traveling to another reality (robotech!) and we acquired tech for mecs... and then it got out of hand.

It was awesome as the Game master (the one who runs the game) was a huge fan of Marvel/robotech/stargate and he really knew the characters so it felt "real"

---

We also did a Star Trek campaign taking place on DS 17... 18 maybe... so far out somewhere. Eventually... the empire showed up and turns out myself and the other players were full of metachlorians sooooooooo..... we trained to be Jedi :D

So in the end, I was Lt. Commander Delvok, a Vulcan working for section 31 who was being trained as a Jedi. Pretty cool.

---

After I read Old Man Logan, I would love to play in (or GM) a campaign set in that time frame. I also wish we could start the mutant game back up, but too many people have kids now for roleplaying games to be scheduled :!: A campaign set in VEI would be great too, so many options and factions.

So I guess I have spent a lot of time thinking about merging different universes and taking aspects I like from others though usually to play a game.

:breakingnews: I am a huge Nerd :lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

nscc wrote:We used to play D&D a lot here, and one of the other games we did was a game set in the marvel universe after the registration act.

It was a lot of fun, I was bonded with a symbiote (We are Zealot!) though had control, and I was not a homicidal maniac. I only lost control in extraordinary circumstances.

A lot went on, as we played for over 2 years in real time and it started getting pretty crazy.

Some quick highlights.

In the game I met up with spiderman, ended up getting lectured on power and responsibility.... blah blah :lol:

I was also captured by the X-men at one point (I lost control and things got too bloody), taken to the mansion and Beast/prof x were working on a way to break the bond before I was rescued.

I ended up saving a relative (daughter??) of Dr. Strange and eventually was trained in sorcery and we fought a cult of dormamuu worshipers.

We also got hooked up with the guys from Stargate as they were in this world too for some different missions.

Our "team" ended up disbanding as our cover was blown after the really bloody battle with some government agents trying to bring us in. Our different members went our separate ways, I ended up joining x-factor and once things calmed down at our home base (about 6 months later in game time) I left X-factor, stole their database and a helicopter and booked it back home :lol:

We ended up also traveling to another reality (robotech!) and we acquired tech for mecs... and then it got out of hand.

It was awesome as the Game master (the one who runs the game) was a huge fan of Marvel/robotech/stargate and he really knew the characters so it felt "real"

---

We also did a Star Trek campaign taking place on DS 17... 18 maybe... so far out somewhere. Eventually... the empire showed up and turns out myself and the other players were full of metachlorians sooooooooo..... we trained to be Jedi :D

So in the end, I was Lt. Commander Delvok, a Vulcan working for section 31 who was being trained as a Jedi. Pretty cool.

---

After I read Old Man Logan, I would love to play in (or GM) a campaign set in that time frame. I also wish we could start the mutant game back up, but too many people have kids now for roleplaying games to be scheduled :!: A campaign set in VEI would be great too, so many options and factions.

So I guess I have spent a lot of time thinking about merging different universes and taking aspects I like from others though usually to play a game.

:breakingnews: I am a huge Nerd :lol:
Very cool stuff. I never played D&D. Well i did once but the DM was a idiot and i was board very quick. It looks like fun especially when they play it in Big Bang Theory.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Yeah, I was such a loser that I dreamed of having nerd friends that I could play D&D with. I had a table top game that I tried to get my cousins to play, but to no avail.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Manaf82
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2010
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Manaf82 »

I would want to create some legacy heroes set in the modern world where the major Pulp Heroes like Doc Savage,Shadow,Spider,G-8,Phantom Detective,Secret Agent x,Nick Carter,Tarzan,John Carter,Domino Lady,Fu Manchu existed and their novels were canon.The heroes in this world will be living in the aftermath of their actions during their actions from 1930s to the end of 60s and sometimes even until 70s.Some of them might be dead and some of them might just be a recluse.The world will be vastly different from the futuristic discoveries by the mad scientists, Martians and mostly by Doc Savage's inventions.

The heroes mostly will be people who sometimes might be related to them and some of them who are inspired them.

For my primary two characters one is the daughter of Doc Savage.Very powerful,Intelligent and gay

Shadow is a man trained by Lamont Cranston wearing dark clothes and instead of a hat wears a hood and carries two modern pistols..

The world is on the brink of war between the factions of the government led by Doc Savage,The underground network of Vigilantes controlled from the shadows as a puppet-master by The Shadow and finally their greatest enemy from the east Fu-Manchu but who is actually preparing against an invasion against the martians who wants to destroy earth because they know that earth will be responsible for an invasion by the Great Old Ones of H.P Lovecraft.

Let me know what you guys think..
Feel my "SQUEEING SQUEE"

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

ValiantReader wrote: Very cool stuff. I never played D&D. Well i did once but the DM was a idiot and i was board very quick. It looks like fun especially when they play it in Big Bang Theory.
lorddunlow wrote:Yeah, I was such a loser that I dreamed of having nerd friends that I could play D&D with. I had a table top game that I tried to get my cousins to play, but to no avail.
It is really fun as long as the people are interested and especially if the DM is talented in creating a world that is interactive. The DM/GM for the games I mentioned it great, he can do voices (no impressions of actors like Howard from Big bang thoery though), but most important to keep the game flowing is knowing the rules or willing to make a call and if they are wrong look up the actual rule later on. This way it doesn't get bogged down looking in a book :D

I don't know if we will ever have time for a regular game again, but now paizo, the company who publishes rules for Pathfinder (which is the rules from d&d 3.0/3.5) has made a card game where you play through an adventure path, its not a CCG, so you buy a set and play. I haven't got it yet, but it only takes an hour or so per session, so I am gonna grab them at some point and play, should be easier to get together this way :hope:
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?