Amassing My Complete Amazing Spider-Man Run

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Amassing My Complete Amazing Spider-Man Run

Post by lorddunlow »

So, as far as iconic comic characters go, Spidey's my favorite. Spiderman and X-Men were the only non-Image, non-Valiant, non-Indie stuff I bought back in the 90s. The "end" of Amazing Spider-Man at issue #700 (I know it's been a marketing gimmick and they'll probably restart the numbering as if it never changed) put a thought in my head. If I were to try to obtain of full run of any long term comic, it would be ASM. This would be a long term thing, of course. Just pick up issues when I find them.

I'm asking if anyone thinks this is feasible and advice on how to go about it. Also, what are the REALLY hard-to-find/expensive books in ASM that might shut me down on completing a full run?

I figure if obtained 1-700 I would make Amazing Fantasy #15 the icing on the cake at some point in my golden years.

I just think it would be cool to have something that I'm constantly working towards.

p.s. Definitely not interested in the CGC route if that makes any difference (although I figure for the more pricey ones, any copy in good shape will probably only be available slabbed).
Last edited by lorddunlow on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:02:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman
Re: Thinking about collecting Amazing Spider-Man

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

:o An admirable and daunting task indeed. The early books and the early 2000's had some lower print runs, IIRC, but if you're not setting the bar at a certain grading threshold they're all out there. It's only a matter of $ for the keys. The important gamble right now would be do you pull the trigger to get your AF 15 now? It's gone nuts in the last few years so sustainability of that demand is what you're rolling the dice on.

Unless you're willing to be evil . . . cheap keys come to those who lie in wait. :twisted:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

No, it is not feasible.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

StarBrand wrote:No, it is not feasible.
There's a guy that has a blog called "Chasing Amazing" and he states that he is only missing #1, 3, 4, 6, and 16. Now he started as a child in 1987, but it's doable. He doesn't have an AF 15, but it's not like people walk around with 2 copies of it or anything...

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

lorddunlow wrote:
There's a guy that has a blog called "Chasing Amazing" and he states that he is only missing #1, 3, 4, 6, and 16. Now he started as a child in 1987, but it's doable. He doesn't have an AF 15, but it's not like people walk around with 2 copies of it or anything...
Again, evil!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Again, evil!
I'm closing in on the location. It's only a matter of time. I mean, the guy is only a 3 hr drive away. :twisted:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

lorddunlow wrote:
I'm asking if anyone thinks this is feasible
No, it is not feasible.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Go for it!

I also started as a kid and finished it off a few years ago with a rag copy of #3. No AF 15 though, but that is ok.

If I was starting now, I'd start off hunting cheap lots on ebay or bin diving at cons and stores. I also did the same for daredevil and am just missing issue #1. I started on a few others including flash, iron man and the like, but I've lost interest in it.

For a short while, I considered going after all the ASM variants, but I gave up on that one too.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Sure it is. Many issues are still in dollar bins. There's a store here that has a six dollar silver age bin and there are double digit asms in there.
ASM Crossover Home

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

If you go for it, lorddunlow, start a thread here somewhere and let us know how it's going.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Setting up at cons and meeting and talking to dealers has shown me that ALL books are available
The dude next to me in Vegas had an amazing 15 on the wall.

If you have the scratch, then go for it.
You might want to do your research and go after some of the harder to find modern books first and then the silver stuff.
I can tell you that silver age spidey books are easy to find at cons.
Spider-Man vol. #2 #36, not as much. I see much more SM #129 than vol 2 #36 at cons.
The #129s are not cheap, but they are there.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

It might be a good idea to search eBay auctions for amazing spider-man lots as well. :thumb:

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

It's a great run to collect and you wouldn't regret it...I started in the mid-1980's too and need about 55 issues to complete the run.

Not quite as close as 400yrs on DD --- need 4 issues to complete that run, 48, 53, 55, & 75
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

One thing that I would recommend is counting the pages within the silver and bronze age stuff. Nothing is worse than figuring out you are missing pages and have to buy another copy.
ASM Crossover Home

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

It might look daunting from the beginning, but go for it! It's definitely feasible as I remember I started the quest back in 2009 and completed my run from 1 - 700 including AF 15 and all the annuals early this year. In reality, it took about 3 years as I took one year hiatus from comics after my daughter was born. Here are some tips you might want to think about.

1) The most expensive books of course are the early Silver Age issues all the way to the Punisher first appearance in #129. Then you will have the other key issues that can cost quite a pretty penny depending on your targeting grade level like #238, 252, 298 - 300. The most important step in attempting this quest is trying to figure out the best grade range to collect without breaking your bank. For example, this is my grade range target.

#1-20 = 4.0 - 6.0
#21 - 100 = 6.0 - 8.0
#101 - 129 = 8.0 - 9.0
#130 - 700 = 9.0 and above

2) Buy in bulk whenever possible. This will cut down the cost dramatically instead of buying one book at a time. Take your time and surf through Ebay or the CGC forums for anyone selling straight runs. Also check out your local comic shows and you will often get good deals when buying in bulk. Raid the 50 cents / $1 dollar bins whenever you see them. You never know what you might find. If you look hard enough, anything after issue #129 can be had for $1 or less except for the key issues.

3) When dealing with raw books, be wary of possible restoration on the early issues like from 1 to 20 and the other major key books. Unless you can get them ultra cheap, I would play it on the safe side and pick up the big key issues graded only.

Escaflown4
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

400yrs wrote:One thing that I would recommend is counting the pages within the silver and bronze age stuff. Nothing is worse than figuring out you are missing pages and have to buy another copy.
I can't agree more as I have encountered once or twice I gotten a Silver Age issue with missing pages. I rarely see Bronze Age books missing pages, but I have came across many of them that are missing the Marvel stamps. Nothing hurts more then looking through a nice high grade Hulk 180/181 just to see the stamp has been cut out inside. :!:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna start this soon.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I met a guy who completed an Amazing Spider-Man run, but chose to end it at 441, the issue the original numbering ended. I wonder how many others ended their Amazing Spider-Man runs with that issue.
(I was just giving you a hard time saying this isn't feasible, lorddunlow. I wish you all success if you go for it.)

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Escaflown4 wrote:It might look daunting from the beginning, but go for it! It's definitely feasible as I remember I started the quest back in 2009 and completed my run from 1 - 700 including AF 15 and all the annuals early this year. In reality, it took about 3 years as I took one year hiatus from comics after my daughter was born. Here are some tips you might want to think about.

1) The most expensive books of course are the early Silver Age issues all the way to the Punisher first appearance in #129. Then you will have the other key issues that can cost quite a pretty penny depending on your targeting grade level like #238, 252, 298 - 300. The most important step in attempting this quest is trying to figure out the best grade range to collect without breaking your bank. For example, this is my grade range target.

#1-20 = 4.0 - 6.0
#21 - 100 = 6.0 - 8.0
#101 - 129 = 8.0 - 9.0
#130 - 700 = 9.0 and above

2) Buy in bulk whenever possible. This will cut down the cost dramatically instead of buying one book at a time. Take your time and surf through Ebay or the CGC forums for anyone selling straight runs. Also check out your local comic shows and you will often get good deals when buying in bulk. Raid the 50 cents / $1 dollar bins whenever you see them. You never know what you might find. If you look hard enough, anything after issue #129 can be had for $1 or less except for the key issues.

3) When dealing with raw books, be wary of possible restoration on the early issues like from 1 to 20 and the other major key books. Unless you can get them ultra cheap, I would play it on the safe side and pick up the big key issues graded only.
Thanks for this very thorough post. I'm sure I'll take a a little longer to complete this run than you did. (Especially ASM #1 and AF #15 - I'll have to wait until my wife is senile). As for the recommendation to buy grade books for the early books and keys, I think that will definitely be the safest route (after dealing with loads of overgraded books on ebay just trying to get a Manhattan Projects #1). However, I would like to look at the books. Two questions: 1. How hard is it to open a slab up (any major risk of damaging the book doing so)? 2. Would all comic collectors descend upon me with pitchforks for doing so? (I would never plan to sell these books).

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I think it would be great for you to make a video blog of you cracking ASM slabs.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Elveen wrote:I think it would be great for you to make a video blog of you cracking ASM slabs.
I think I would have to make sure my location was secret. I think greg would personally try to stop me from continuing with it.

hulk181man
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

400yrs wrote:One thing that I would recommend is counting the pages within the silver and bronze age stuff. Nothing is worse than figuring out you are missing pages and have to buy another copy.
This is excellent advice. I once bought a nice looking #3 off ebay only to find the pin-up page was cut out. It was very tightly cropped, almost undetectable if you don't know to look for it. Of course I returned it and the seller was 'amazed' to learn of the missing page :roll:
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

Go for it! Went over to ebay just to see what kind of lots are on there - found this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spi ... 370wt_1330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There were several lots covering a similar number of books. Not saying it's a great deal or anything, just that there are plenty of people who have already done a lot of the work for you.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

hulk181man wrote:
This is excellent advice. I once bought a nice looking #3 off ebay only to find the pin-up page was cut out. It was very tightly cropped, almost undetectable if you don't know to look for it. Of course I returned it and the seller was 'amazed' to learn of the missing page :roll:
The dreaded "eBay Near Mint?"
:mad:

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Someone on the cgc boards has from 200-700 for sale for under 2k.