Amassing My Complete Amazing Spider-Man Run

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Amassing My Complete Amazing Spider-Man Run

Post by lorddunlow »

kjjohanson wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Well, with the return of Amazing Spider-Man with volume 3 #1, I'll have new issues to chase. Still not sure if I'll be pulling this or picking up on the cheap later. I picked up #1, but haven't read yet.

As for back issues, I've stalled out so we can take a little vacation more often. My next target is ASM #121 and #122. #121 is a very important book in its own right, but I'm a Gwen Stacy fan too. I already have #31 (and a beautiful copy too), so I feel having her death is the next book I want.
The first issue of the mini I mentioned above is now out too, and the first issue is Amazing Spider-man 1.1, so there's those to get too. I would pick up at least the first issue new, since there's a new characters introduced and time will tell whether it ends up being an important character.
Thanks for the heads up!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I don't know if you are doing variants, but a few of the big dealers at Big Wow were looking for these books. These are dudes that buy LOTS of books for their store and they were about out.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Elveen wrote:I don't know if you are doing variants, but a few of the big dealers at Big Wow were looking for these books. These are dudes that buy LOTS of books for their store and they were about out.

Not really interested in variants. I actually prefer the "regular" cover for any issues with variants. I am rather fond of the Gwen Stacy variant of #692, but it's too expensive for my blood.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

lorddunlow wrote:
Elveen wrote:I don't know if you are doing variants, but a few of the big dealers at Big Wow were looking for these books. These are dudes that buy LOTS of books for their store and they were about out.

Not really interested in variants. I actually prefer the "regular" cover for any issues with variants. I am rather fond of the Gwen Stacy variant of #692, but it's too expensive for my blood.
What's interesting is that when there are multiple variants available at cover price, some price info I looked up seems to suggest that the regular version is usually more valuable.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Hey Dunlow, how's the SpiderMan collection coming along?

I just bought a copy of ASM #276 today, made me think of you. That's the first old Spidey issue I've bought in several years. I might start picking away at some more of the issues I'm missing from that era.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I was wondering the same thing.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

I've started the same thing with ASM, but also have Batman, X-Men, DD and to a lesser degree Tec. These are just the series I think are the most interesting, and imo offer the best value/price appreciation for long-term gain (as well as appeal to me the most). I have no specific timetable, just looking to add books of these series that are found in collections I buy.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I've also (so far) only gone after the keys of the very modern/late stuff of Batman/ASM. I don't think I need to have ASM 449 (just threw that out there for randomness, hopefully it's not a key issue lol), but want to have all issues of note of the more recent stuff.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I do the same thing. The larger runs I have are Avengers, Uncanny, ASM, Incredible Hulk, Tales of Suspense/CapAm, FF, etc. I focus on silver/bronze/copper, in the best grades I can get, and I collect newsstand and direct versions. I don't actively fill gaps. When I buy collections, I slowly fill them in with the best copies I can get, and any variants that are available (Marks, Bubblicious, price, etc.).

I have a full Marvel Star Wars in high grade. That's one of my complete jewels. I still upgrade copies here and there, but it's pretty complete.

I started a TWD run this year because I bought 2 collections with big runs. I think I have 30-120 or so. I need to organize it.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I've run out of room for comics at the moment, so I've mostly put this on hold until I can find some room for them.

I still look passively whenever I'm somewhere new. I plan on buying an ASM 121 and 122 next. I'll actually probably bite the bullet on those sooner rather than later. This is a supremely long term project.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

lorddunlow wrote:I've run out of room for comics at the moment, so I've mostly put this on hold until I can find some room for them.

I still look passively whenever I'm somewhere new. I plan on buying an ASM 121 and 122 next. I'll actually probably bite the bullet on those sooner rather than later. This is a supremely long term project.
the thrill of the chase... :thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

I'm also working on this run. Good luck with the finds :thumb:
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I went back and nabbed a copy of 192, 277 & a 278. Might've caught the spidey-bug again...

Man, I wish I had a better copy of #300. I got a badly spine-worn copy back in the early 90's for $9 just to have one, at a time when I had very little money for expensive back-issues. If only I had gone out on a limb & bought one for a little more in better shape... I can't believe how much this issue has gone up in value over time!

(It makes total sense, with Venom and all that, it's just not something I would have predicted back then)
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

lorddunlow wrote:I've run out of room for comics at the moment, so I've mostly put this on hold until I can find some room for them.

I think if you have 3-5 titles, it's not that much room. We're talking about a large dresser/shelving unit that should be able to accommodate all that in a 4 by 6 ft. area. Throw on a few more long boxes of just keys or issues of not and the total space isn't that bad. For me I have a 'need to stay low' mentality, so I'm always moving books and try to force myself away from the stuff I'm not super attached to, I also have been good at selling off/trading extras.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

nycjadie wrote:I do the same thing. The larger runs I have are Avengers, Uncanny, ASM, Incredible Hulk, Tales of Suspense/CapAm, FF, etc. I focus on silver/bronze/copper, in the best grades I can get, and I collect newsstand and direct versions. I don't actively fill gaps. When I buy collections, I slowly fill them in with the best copies I can get, and any variants that are available (Marks, Bubblicious, price, etc.).

I have a full Marvel Star Wars in high grade. That's one of my complete jewels. I still upgrade copies here and there, but it's pretty complete.

I started a TWD run this year because I bought 2 collections with big runs. I think I have 30-120 or so. I need to organize it.
I haven't bothered too much with this, because I'm in Canada I don't want to have to collect all the Canadian copper variants I see out there also. When I get a duplicate I keep the better copy, then look to move the extra stuff pretty cheaply.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Those few bargain bin ASM's I picked up in December definitely sparked a little something - I also recently nabbed a bunch of other cheap copies of ASM issues with Hobgoblin appearances that I have never had before. Got #245, 250, 251, 260 & 284 ( I did have a copy of 284 when I was a kid, but long since misplaced it - was cool to get one again).

I'm going to keep an eye out for the rest of the Hobgoblin appearances in that era that I don't have... namely 238, 239, 244, 259 & 289. I always liked Hobgoblin more than the Green Goblin - probably mainly because he was new around when I read Spidey as a kid, but I also thought he was tougher, cooler & a bit more intimidating than GG...

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Hey guys, I just made huge strides to amassing my ASM collection via a large comic purchase I made two weeks ago. In it was about 3-4 long boxes rammed with ASM, starting from issue 7 well into the 400s. I haven't tackled this part of the collection yet, but I will go through the books and most likely send some books off to grading (the collector had cherry-picked some of the best ASM books in the late 200s as a teenager).

What I don't send off to grading I can see if there's any interest here, this collection has multiples of many books and I'll be looking to sell-off all the doubles of books I don't have.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

GGSAE wrote:Hey guys, I just made huge strides to amassing my ASM collection via a large comic purchase I made two weeks ago. In it was about 3-4 long boxes rammed with ASM, starting from issue 7 well into the 400s. I haven't tackled this part of the collection yet, but I will go through the books and most likely send some books off to grading (the collector had cherry-picked some of the best ASM books in the late 200s as a teenager).

What I don't send off to grading I can see if there's any interest here, this collection has multiples of many books and I'll be looking to sell-off all the doubles of books I don't have.
:popcorn:

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
GGSAE wrote:Hey guys, I just made huge strides to amassing my ASM collection via a large comic purchase I made two weeks ago. In it was about 3-4 long boxes rammed with ASM, starting from issue 7 well into the 400s. I haven't tackled this part of the collection yet, but I will go through the books and most likely send some books off to grading (the collector had cherry-picked some of the best ASM books in the late 200s as a teenager).

:popcorn:

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
:hm:

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Finally getting through this large collection and into the ASM books....I've pulled a few out to be graded, but there is a very large amount of high grade raws in the late 300s. Some numbers have 5 or 6 copies and the worst would be a 9.2. Unfortunately it appears that cgc books for ASM don't sell for enough for me to bother subbing them from Canada, I was basically looking for perfect copies that would only get a 9.8....

I will be subbing this beauty though!

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Any further goodies from that run to show off or sell, GGSAE?

I recently picked up a copy of ASM #249 & #289. I'm still trying to target all the Hobgoblin appearances that I'm missing. Still looking out for the two biggest ones, 238 & 239.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Also keeping an eye out for ASM 244, 259, and if I'm not mistaken Hobgoblin appears in 285 as well?

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

grendeljd wrote:Any further goodies from that run to show off or sell, GGSAE?

I recently picked up a copy of ASM #249 & #289. I'm still trying to target all the Hobgoblin appearances that I'm missing. Still looking out for the two biggest ones, 238 & 239.
I haven't had time to really go through the collection yet, I've sold off a few very small lots locally but that's it. All my time is spent at the office working/studying, in a few months I'll start breaking it apart more.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Just wanted to post a few pics of my ASM books, some are uk versions and some are pretty low grade, but the bulk rate I'm into these comics for is very little....if I can keep buying bulk I'll sub out the lower-grade copies and add to the ones I'm missing (like I do with a few other titles I'm working on).
ImageImage

I'm only missing a handful of books from the low 50s on, sure there are some really big keys I need to get but I'll get there....