The Most Important Comic Character Since Wolverine

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Re: The Most Important Comic Character Since Wolverine

Post by dornwolf »

Did anyone mention Static?

Well he is more of a missed opportunity

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

I think we're all forgetting about Sleepwalker. Seriously you guys.... he is about to SHAKE. THINGS. UP.
You wait and see, I'm telling ya..... Sleepwalker.
facepalm

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I think we're all forgetting about Sleepwalker. Seriously you guys.... he is about to SHAKE. THINGS. UP.
facepalm
If Marvel can make Sleepwalker awesome, then they are truly unstoppable.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Dr. Solar wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I think we're all forgetting about Sleepwalker. Seriously you guys.... he is about to SHAKE. THINGS. UP.
facepalm
If Marvel can make Sleepwalker awesome, then they are truly unstoppable.
I wouldn't be surprised at all...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: The Most Important Comic Characters Since Wolverine

Post by StarBrand »

We've all had plenty of time to debate the most important character since Wolverine, so I changed this thread to the most important characters since Wolverine. So, all discussion on characters who are near the most important or may become so is welcome. Thanks.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

StarBrand wrote:Depending on the value assigned each person Miles is Spider-Man to. It's a staggering accomplishment.
And yet I'd say that Miguel O'hara is just as impactful as "A Spider-man" if not more.
He's no more well known to the masses than Miles, but he's been hugely important from his own title to his tenure on Exiles to his new title.

Fact is all Spider-men not named Peter Parker are just not important to the general audiences. Sure, maybe it's cause they just don't know them but we aren't likely to know as the studios will always put Parker out front. The best bet Miguel or Miles has is for a long running Spider film saga where they have a chance to be introduced to the masses. Kinda like War Machine being introduced in IM2.
WM may not be anyone in the "masses" favorite but then again he may have a slowly growing fandom, especially coming out of Age of Ultron. So Miguel and/or Miles needs that, to be introduced in a Spiderman film alongside Peter to be properly exposed.

THEWGZK
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by THEWGZK »

So I may be out of sorts here but are we justifying the most important character based on impact to sales, readership, and popularity? Or what the character did as a whole for the industry. While he was mentioned once I'm surprised that Savage Dragon didn't pop up more. While moderately popular and back issues fairly inexpensive. Erik Larsen's character did push a lot of publishing boundaries which I feel helped a lot of mainstream companies begin to break away from the CCA. And of course later the Marvel Knights series which completely broke away from the CCA. But I suppose a lot of companies and characters did the same but the Dragon stands out for me.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Elveen wrote:
IMJ wrote:
Elveen wrote:Not sure when I posted my answer to the question in the title of th thread, but here are my thoughts based on back issue sales and interest at the last few cons.

1) Deadpool
2) Venom
3) Harely Quinn
4) Nightwing

And maybe Carnage.
I respect the hell out of the experiential input, but you can't look at this via comic sales.

I can when I state that....
Me wrote:but here are my thoughts based on back issue sales and interest at the last few cons.
I'm talking about back issue interest (which can most (or maybe a majority) of the time = current issue sales).

People DO occasionally ask for TMNT books, I have a small section of turtle books. I'm not talking about movies or TV or cartoons or merchandise, I'm talking about comic books. There are MUCH more Venom, Harley Q, Nightwing, and Deadpool fans than turtle fans. I don't think that can be argued. Again, I'm talking about physical comic books.

Another thing to consider is how much the above characters have female fan bases. TONS of girls read/ask for/are interested in the characters on my list. I would even say that a character like Harley Q has brought a bunch of girls into the medium, like tons.

I was not collecting comic books when the turtles burst on the scene, so maybe I don't have the history of experiencing (going through) the turtle phenomenon, I've never watched a turtle cartoon, never played with the toys, never read a turtle book. So maybe as the 1st independent popular character post wolvie they DO have big impact. That is undeniable, they are popular for sure.

My point is that they do not seem to move many books on the back issue market. If I was ranking comic book characters buy people: asking/looking for/thumbing through boxes/and (or) buying at the 12ish comic book shows I've done last year, the turtles are probably in the 50s-ish, maybe lower.

That's all Im saying.

Really to me the "current" answer to the question in the title is Deadpool.
Emphasis mine. Elveen, you should check out both the original series, specially the E&L issues (Return to New York is one of my fav storylines in all comics) and the current IDW one, which while not being the insane fun that OG Turtles are, is still one of the best comics out there today, imho. I still feel a bit *SQUEE* off because I can't collect them individually due to distribution issues. I do collect the TPBs.
The OG series is available in a series of hardcovers from IDW right now. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I've been putting my money where my mouth is, which is quite better than putting my mouth where my money is. That seems hard to do.
I have acquired so far:

Ultimate Fallout #4 first print (1st Miles Morales) CGC 9.8 x 1
" " " " " " " CGC 9.4 x 2
" " second print face variant CGC 9.8 x 1
Ultimate Spider-Man #1 first print (2011 series) origin Miles Morales, first Miles in own title CGC 9.8 x 1
" " #2 first print " " CGC 9.8
" " " #3 first print " " " CGC 9.8

The 2011 Ultimate Spider-Man series is the one where the first issue was in a white polybag. Issues 2 and 3 I had a huge quantity of raw at one time, and they're extremely tough in high grade.
Last edited by StarBrand on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:27:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

StarBrand wrote:I've been putting my money where my mouth is, which is quite better than putting my mouth where my money is. That seems hard to do.
I have acquired so far:

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 first print (2011 series) origin Miles Morales, first Miles in won title CGC 9.8 x 1

The 2011 Ultimate Spider-Man series is the one where the first issue was in a white polybag. Issues 2 and 3 I had a huge quantity of raw at one time, and they're extremely tough in high grade.
You still see a big demand and interest for Miles? I have not had anyone ask for UF #4 in a looooog while.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Elveen wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I've been putting my money where my mouth is, which is quite better than putting my mouth where my money is. That seems hard to do.
I have acquired so far:

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 first print (2011 series) origin Miles Morales, first Miles in won title CGC 9.8 x 1

You still see a big demand and interest for Miles? I have not had anyone ask for UF #4 in a looooog while.
Not at the moment, no. Which makes it a great time to buy. I hope prices on his key books plunge right now.
However, I am convinced at some point all living heck is going to break loose in the industry because he's going to get so hot. Plunge, key Miles Morales books, plunge so I can buy more of thee!!!
Last edited by StarBrand on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:19:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

StarBrand wrote:
Elveen wrote:
I have acquired so far:

Not at the moment, no. Which makes it a great time to buy. I hope prices on his key books plunge right now.
However, I am convinced at some point all living heck is going to break loose in the industry because he's going to get so hot. Plunge, key Miles Morales books, plunge!!!

Really? What could be the impetus? Miles as spidey in a movie?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Miles as the most important character since Wolverine. That will become apparent to all at some point, I predict. It's just a matter of time. And at some point his key books will be so hot it will be staggering.
Last edited by StarBrand on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:26:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Those who said the Turtles are the most important character since Wolverine had me going for a bit. Then I realized there are four of them, so their importance had to be collectively taken then cut into fourths. :D

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

StarBrand wrote:Miles as the most important character since Wolverine. That will become apparent to all at some point, I predict. It's just a matter of time. And at some point his key books will be so hot it will be staggering.
Maybe, but ultimately Miles is just a secondary Spider-Man. I hope for your sake you are correct, but I think a character would need to be wholly original (whatever that means these days) to be the most important since Wolverine.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I think it's absolutely impossible to overestimate the importance of Miles continuing to gain followers to whom he IS Spider-Man. This will grow exponentially, I think.
Doesn't matter if he's not unique as far as his name and powers. He. Is. Spider-Man. To a whole new generation.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

StarBrand wrote:I think it's absolutely impossible to overestimate the importance of Miles continuing to gain followers to whom he IS Spider-Man. This will grow exponentially, I think.
Doesn't matter if he's not unique as far as his name and powers. He. Is. Spider-Man. To a whole new generation.
Really? IS Spidey? I'm not looking to pick a fight, but, he IS Spidey? Where?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I think it is really cool to REALLY like a character (me with Toyo) but, who is he Spidey too?

jeremycoe

Post by jeremycoe »

I thought maybe he was in one of the Disney channel cartoons or something, and he is in 2 episodes of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. Peter Porker is in 3 episodes. In all honesty I think Marvel is too chicken to ever let him fully supplant Peter Parker.

When Marvel "relaunched" out of Secret Wars it at first sounded like Miles was going to be THE Spider-Man now, then it was announced that Peter Parker would also star in a Spider-Man book. Then it was announced that there would also be a second "teenage years" Peter Parker book. Marvel really had a chance to try and help Miles be the MAN, but they couldn't do it.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I shall answer, when I get the chance to back up my points with links and quotes and such.
Research could be done by googling ''Brian Bendis Miles is Spider-Man'' in the meantime.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

StarBrand wrote:I shall answer, when I get the chance to back up my points with links and quotes and such.
Research could be done by googling ''Brian Bendis Miles is Spider-Man'' in the meantime.

Ok.... how about you give me the cliff notes version right now?

Is Miles going to be spider man or something?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I haven't said Miles will replace Peter as Spider-Man.
That isn't necessary. He's already done so in the minds of some. I will expand on that over the course of time.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Here's an article that makes the case Miles is going to be supremely important in the Marvel universe. The title of this article is "Five Reasons Why Spider-man - AKA Miles Morales - Will Be THE Main Superhero in Marvel Comics!"

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3529392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeremycoe

Post by jeremycoe »

StarBrand wrote:Here's an article that makes the case Miles is going to be supremely important in the Marvel universe. The title of this article is "Five Reasons Why Spider-man - AKA Miles Morales - Will Be THE Main Superhero in Marvel Comics!"

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3529392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like I said, at the time this article came out Marvel was acting like Miles was going to be THE Spider-Man. Either that wasn't really the plan, or they backed out of the plan - because Miles has 1 book and Peter Parker has 2.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I think this is an important interview. Bear in mind, I was on Miles' bandwagon before it became known he'd be in the main Marvel Universe, so I have additional points in mind to defend my position on how important this character is. I'm finding some pretty good stuff on the internet right now making my case for me though, and probably doing it much better than I could.

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/27/417457442 ... mainstream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;