The Most Important Comic Character Since Wolverine

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis
Re: The Most Important Comic Character Since Wolverine

Post by hulk181man »

This list since Wolvie still has to include:

Harley Quinn
Deadpool
Venom and Carnage
& TMNT

Spider-Gwen is amazingly hot right now, but too new to determine staying power.
Same thing applies to Mile Morales, too new but there's long-term potential with the character.
Rocket Raccoon could grow stronger and the 2nd GOTG movie will propel the character further. That said, Marvel seems unable to craft an interesting solo book around this character.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

5) Jihaxus-Transformers: Generation 2 not the IDW one. Under what seems is a calm cool Cybertronian exterior is a deadly warrior of uncontrolable rage and unbelieveable depravity he blows up a major city just because he can. The IDW version is just a mad sciencist that created an unstable Arcee for reasons and worked with Shockwave to try and destroy the Universe for reasons.

4) Straxus-In the original US Marvel series Straxus is the Decepticon who controls Cybertron while Megatron, Shockwave, and Starscream are on Earth. He's a tyrant who throws Transformers he deems useless into the smelting pools to be melted alive. Blaster cuts his head off with his own axe on the space bridge. In the Marvel UK series his head survives clones Megatron and downloads his mind into the clone Megatron's body while the clone thinks he's the real Megatron. When the real Megatron arrives back on Cybertron he battles the clone and the clone kills himself to avoid Straxus winning.

3) Impactor-The leader of the Wreckers (or one of them) a group of second and third string Autobots that get the messier missions in the war. Impactor in the Marvel UK series dies at the end at the end of Target: 2006 (a great read so go check it out) but in the IDW he is a crazy warrior who doesn't play by the rules. He's a war criminal and one of the most dangerous Autobots in the Universe. Read The Transformers: The Last Stand of the Wreckers a very good...if somewhat overrated story IMHO.

2) Drift-An Autobot warrior with a tragic past. Drift is actually a cool character when he's written well.

1) Windblade-A female Autobot warrior who just got her own ongoing series.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Cyberstrike wrote:5) Jihaxus-Transformers: Generation 2 not the IDW one. Under what seems is a calm cool Cybertronian exterior is a deadly warrior of uncontrolable rage and unbelieveable depravity he blows up a major city just because he can. The IDW version is just a mad sciencist that created an unstable Arcee for reasons and worked with Shockwave to try and destroy the Universe for reasons.

4) Straxus-In the original US Marvel series Straxus is the Decepticon who controls Cybertron while Megatron, Shockwave, and Starscream are on Earth. He's a tyrant who throws Transformers he deems useless into the smelting pools to be melted alive. Blaster cuts his head off with his own axe on the space bridge. In the Marvel UK series his head survives clones Megatron and downloads his mind into the clone Megatron's body while the clone thinks he's the real Megatron. When the real Megatron arrives back on Cybertron he battles the clone and the clone kills himself to avoid Straxus winning.

3) Impactor-The leader of the Wreckers (or one of them) a group of second and third string Autobots that get the messier missions in the war. Impactor in the Marvel UK series dies at the end at the end of Target: 2006 (a great read so go check it out) but in the IDW he is a crazy warrior who doesn't play by the rules. He's a war criminal and one of the most dangerous Autobots in the Universe. Read The Transformers: The Last Stand of the Wreckers a very good...if somewhat overrated story IMHO.

2) Drift-An Autobot warrior with a tragic past. Drift is actually a cool character when he's written well.

Doesn't that list belong in a thread about your personal favorite comic book characters, and not in a thread about the most important comic book characters? :P
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

The Trapster.

'Cos he used to be Paste-Pot-Pete.

:P

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Cyberstrike wrote:5) Jihaxus-Transformers: Generation 2 not the IDW one. Under what seems is a calm cool Cybertronian exterior is a deadly warrior of uncontrolable rage and unbelieveable depravity he blows up a major city just because he can. The IDW version is just a mad sciencist that created an unstable Arcee for reasons and worked with Shockwave to try and destroy the Universe for reasons.

I've only heard of Drift, and I'm a big ol geek who likes Transformers. No way they are the most important comic characters. I doubt more than 1% of comic fans know who they are, not to mention the population at large.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

StarBrand wrote:

Doesn't that list belong in a thread about your personal favorite comic book characters, and not in a thread about the most important comic book characters? :P
You have your list and I have mine.

A version of Drift is already been the 4th TF movie. Windblade is the first transformer to get a solo ongoing series (as well as being one of the few female TFs), Impactor is in one of the revered comics ever published, (I dare you to go to a major TF fan site and say that book sucks you will be run off as a troll) and might have been in the 3rd TF movie. G2 Jihaxus is one of the scariest Transformers in comics and Straxus aint got nothing on Spider-Man when it comes to clones. Also these characters originated in the comics first before they became toys and movie stars.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Cyberstrike wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

Fair enough. :)

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

Fair enough. :)
:lol: I would think Optimus Prime and Megatron would have to be more important than any of the above.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Uh... Leige Maximo?

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

Wolverine first appeared in 1974 per the Marvel wiki. Frankly, it is kind of hard to figure out who came along and made such a bang since. He has crossed over into A list, leading movies, comics, and toons with stories that can affect everyone else. Casual folks know his name and who you are talking about at the every day dinner table.

Spawn? Maybe if you just consider comics but while he was in a toon and a film they never carried into pop culture like Wolvie's stuff did.

Night Wing? Maybe but see Spawn.

Nope...

I am going to say Star-Lord is it, since Wolvie. He came along in 1976. Hit movie in GOG. Been in toons. Hit comics. Does stuff that influences even the Avengers. Is known at the dinner table thanks to GOG. Peter Quill is my answer then.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

I honestly don't know how you guys underestimate TMNT. I would say they're bigger than Wolverine.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

GGSAE wrote:I honestly don't know how you guys underestimate TMNT. I would say they're bigger than Wolverine.
+1

cray_ws
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992 - X-O Manawar
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Peter Milligan
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by cray_ws »

As far as recognition, yeah TMNT. You'd have to be living under a rock for the last 25 years to not know who they are. Cowabunga dude!

As far significantly important to publishing comics, one could argue that TMNT fall into that as well, for having the most success as independent comic. But if I were to say what character changed the industry...that would be Sandman as he's responsible for the success of Vertigo and the beginning of DC's foothold of the tradepaperback market. Vertigo is what started the waiting for trade that is all too common now.

I think it's important to mention that a lot Image characters like Spawn, Savage Dragon, and Witchblade had a small significance as they helped redefine the industry as it was no longer just two powerhouse publishers. I don't think any or one characters from Image changed things though, it was more or less the creators who played a larger role in how the market shifted. Which is why I feel Sandman had more significant impact. The character and story itself was fairly revolutionary for it's time. It's won a lot of awards and is often credited for the launching Vertigo imprint to new heights.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Are there any villains that should get notable mentions like Bane or Doomsday that came about post-1974? Thanos first appeared February 1973 so that rules him out.

OTher notable mentions might be Cyborg, Deathstroke, Starfire, and Raven from Teen Titans which was a consistently top-selling book in the 80's and has had a couple successful cartoon shows in the last 10 years I believe.
***Support your local farmers!***

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

geocarr wrote:Are there any villains that should get notable mentions like Bane or Doomsday that came about post-1974? Thanos first appeared February 1973 so that rules him out.

OTher notable mentions might be Cyborg, Deathstroke, Starfire, and Raven from Teen Titans which was a consistently top-selling book in the 80's and has had a couple successful cartoon shows in the last 10 years I believe.
Villains count. Good point. :thumb:

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

hulk181man wrote:This list since Wolvie still has to include:

Harley Quinn
Deadpool
Venom and Carnage
& TMNT
Good list. I'd include Cable, Bane, Deathstroke, Spawn, Invincible, Witchblade and the Darkness.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

A real beard stroker for sure. First, in what context are we labeling "important"? Important to the continuity of Marvel's comic book universe or Important in terms of his impact/legacy?

Like BugsySig and hulkman181, I'll definitely agree that Venom is a very important character. Both as a villian turned anti-hero and the impact he had on Peter Parker's life as Spiderman

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

omega_override wrote:A real beard stroker for sure.
To the quotes thread!!

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

StarBrand wrote:Miles Morales.
Who???
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

x-omatic wrote:
Who???

I didn't say Miles Morales is the most famous character since Wolverine. Just the most important.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

StarBrand wrote:
x-omatic wrote:
Who???

I didn't say Miles Morales is the most famous character since Wolverine. Just the most important.
Starb, I'm curious, why do you think MM is so important?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Elveen wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
x-omatic wrote:
Who???

Starb, I'm curious, why do you think MM is so important?
He's actually Spider-Man to a fairly large number of readers. He's their Spider-Man. That's huge to me.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I'm going to admit I may have been wrong. TMNT may be more important than Miles. You TMNT supporters won me over.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:I'm going to admit I may have been wrong. TMNT may be more important than Miles. You TMNT supporters won me over.
Everyone knows Spider-man, and your Miles statement splits the fandom of Spider-man between Peter Parker and Miles Morales.
Everyone knows Spider-man, but some people don't know Miles Morales.

Everyone knows TMNT... and that's the end of the statement.

So, "everyone" for TMNT should be greater than "some of everyone" for Miles. :lol:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Depending on the value assigned each person Miles is Spider-Man to. It's a staggering accomplishment.