The Most Important Comic Character Since Wolverine

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: The Most Important Comic Character Since Wolverine

Post by StarBrand »

Miles is a new character, and has momentum on his side. I'm not concerned with what's happening this year. What's happening at the moment with Spider-Man isn't what will be happening with him in five years. It would be the height of stupidity to think Miles will be the choice of more fans as Spider-Man than Peter will be any time soon. Peter has been Spider-Man, and beloved as such for decades. I'm not sure Miles will ever have as many people view him as Spider-Man as view Peter as Spider-Man. It's possible Miles could become the more popular Spider-Man at some point, but he has a long, long way to go to do that.
Miles doesn't have to replace Peter as Spider-Man in the eyes of a majority to be a tremendously important comic book character. Please understand that. I have previously made the point that already there are some comic book fans who view Miles as Spider-Man. And, that number will grow. I'm not saying in the year 2016 or 2017 or 2018 he will replace Peter as Spider-Man in the Marvel universe. I am saying a new comic book character that appeals to a new audience as Spider-Man is vastly important.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

jeremycoe wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Here's an article that makes the case Miles is going to be supremely important in the Marvel universe. The title of this article is "Five Reasons Why Spider-man - AKA Miles Morales - Will Be THE Main Superhero in Marvel Comics!"

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3529392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like I said, at the time this article came out Marvel was acting like Miles was going to be THE Spider-Man. Either that wasn't really the plan, or they backed out of the plan - because Miles has 1 book and Peter Parker has 2.
Either that, or when Bendis said Miles is Spider-Man in the relaunched Marvel universe everybody interpreted that to mean he was going to replace Peter as Spider-Man. Bendis didn't say that. He said Miles Morales is Spider-Man in the Marvel Universe now, and he was truthful. Miles Morales is simply called Spider-Man now.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

This article best expresses my point about Miles Morales. I think I'll rest my case after I post this link, and return to happily buying up his keys and supporting his books.

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/ ... -1.2265591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Honestly, there is no new info in that article that had not been talked about before.

I think it's cool you like Miles so much, I don't know really anything about him. So now i know a few things.

But, Miles will never be spider-man. Peter Parker is spider-man. Is he / can he / will he be "important" cause he wore the spider suit. Sure. But he is not Spider man.

Batman is bw
Supes is cc
Spidey is pp.

IF marvel gets rid of pp forever and miles is the only one wearing the spider man suit, then, yes. Miles is spider man.

I hope your investments really pay off. I have no horse in the race. I have a few key mm books.

But compare mm to deadpool or Harley Quinn. To me, no comparison.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

:thumb:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

StarBrand wrote::thumb:

Love the conversation. Super interesting.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

My belief is anything major that happens with the Spider-Man franchise, especially the introduction of a
major character, is huge. That's why I bought all the first appearances of Silk that I did. Miles is even more significant than she is in my opinion to the Spider-Man franchise.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

StarBrand wrote:My belief is anything major that happens with the Spider-Man franchise, especially the introduction of a
major character, is huge. That's why I bought all the first appearances of Silk that I did. Miles is even more significant than she is in my opinion to the Spider-Man franchise.
I've done pretty good with Silk for sure.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Would Spider-Gwen count then?

I would say that the current Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan might be one of the bravest characters in recent history, especially in these troubled times. A teenage Islamic-American girl who is a super-hero? Is there like a German or Japanese super-hero who fought against the Axis Powers in the Golden Age from that period?
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Spider-Gwen is definitely a Spider-Man related new character. Thanks for bringing her up CS.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Cyberstrike wrote:Is there like a German or Japanese super-hero who fought against the Axis Powers in the Golden Age from that period?
Does Ms. Marvel fight against Islamic terrorists? Otherwise I think this analogy is over-reaching.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Chiclo wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:Is there like a German or Japanese super-hero who fought against the Axis Powers in the Golden Age from that period?
Does Ms. Marvel fight against Islamic terrorists? Otherwise I think this analogy is over-reaching.
I would imagine she would if that was ever comes up.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Time continues to strengthen my case on this.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

greg in 2013 and 2015 wrote:I still vote for:

Teenage. Mutant. Ninja. Turtles.

There isn't a person from 5 to 75 that doesn't know the turtles.
(And if there is, they probably don't know Wolverine either.) :D
There's definitely a good case to be made that Miles is becoming the Robin to Peter's Batman. An important position, and important in the Spider-Man mythos... but...

One animated Miles movie (which also features the "real" Spider-Man) in theaters is a far cry from the number of movies, tv series, costumes, and toys for the Turtles for decades, so I think you'll have to concede that Miles will never beat TMNT... but as 2019 approaches, the TMNT arrived 35 years ago.

So, "most important of the past 35 years" is now a goal for Miles. TMNT have settled the "since Wolverine debate", but "since TMNT" is still up for grabs.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Miles has done better as a character than I ever would have guessed. I've never been a fan of "clone characters" (I'm using allusion - I'm not inferring that MM is a clone of PP), but my fandom aside it's clear that Miles Morales is a fan-favorite of some sort. I can't make any predictions on how well the Into the Spider-Verse movie would have done if it was 100% a Miles Morales vehicle either, but that doesn't matter because we are seeing that movie has done incredibly well, which I think has helped cement the character even more. And so, clearly the people who were discussing Ultimate Fallout #4 back in 2013 made a good pick. Also, Miles might have a small amount of cultural importance too. But I say "small" because it's the modern reader that fails to recognize that these things have been done and supported in comics for forty years now (i.e., Rhodey? Anyone?).

Now, I've said all of the above basically in support of the relevance of Miles Morales. However, when comparing the importance of Miles Morales to the TMNT, let's consider the facts. Such as publishing volume, prolific use, recognition across the cultural zeitgeist, success across all media formats, ability to be reinvented across time; and all of the things I just listed being done repeatedly, I think that it's pretty clear that the answer has to be the TMNT. And if you really want to cement this, consider that TMNT has always been published by Independent or Small publishers, as compared to Marvel or DC. Hell, you might even say that TMNT were more recognizable across greater society than even Wolverine was up until Hugh Jackman put the character on film.

Take the most hard nosed, "armchair quarterback" kind of guy you know. The kind of guy that would uncomfortably, in an emotionally nervous and empty way, stutter out the sentence "I... don't know about... cartoons" when you showed him a comic book and you could detect that his emotional development is so narrow-minded that he would need a million people buying movie tickets before he decided it was acceptable to be inquisitive about a comic-book (hence "cartoons) IP. Even that guy, who would only concede that Wolverine's claws are neat because... you know... claws... testosterone, etc... would still more readily and easily file the TMNT away in his head as "acceptable" because even that guy can easily digest the TMNT as nothing more than a fun thingy for kids with animals and "weird" stuff; whereas he'd have a harder time "understanding" Wolverine.

When a comic-book IP is easily digestible to an armchair-quarterback-guy, you know the IP is a cultural icon.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: The Most Important Comic Character Since TMNT

Post by ShadowTuga »

Ok so I remember saying and defending the crap out of TMNT when this was the Wolverine thread. :P

After TMNT... :hm:
I will have to say, the easy choice would be Deadpool. His 1st appearance is stupid crazy high for a book of that era. He is recognisable like few characters are right now, and with him appearing in a for kids' cut movie this year BECAUSE DEMAND!!!!! :lol: is something one can not ignore. DP is commercial, as in looks "very cool", has two katana and a healing factor that is better than everyone, one would think and only he can say Deadpool stuff, which is freaking hilarious in points. Easy to like, but the only "downside" for a bigger recognition is the true nature of the character- he swears a LOOOOOOT and has weird sex stuff going on, not to mention he's a freaking assassin- too much for the gen pop, maybe.

Harley Quinn is the obvious alternative, or to some, second choice. This character is now part of the Super Tier of DC comics' characters- Supes, Bats, Wonder Woman, Flash and Harley. Most recognisable characters from DC in 10 years, if not now, I would bet (although Aquaman is prob super tier also, fishdude was famous worldwide way before I was even born, riding sea horses dressed in orange and with the new Drogo's movie, more reasons to it). Only downside, she now looks like a *SQUEE* (or wearing a *SQUEE*'s uniform as Ralphie May said). Again, too much for the gen pop (every age included)., perhaps.

I would like to say Bloodshot in 2021 or so, let's check that one out! :D
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Wow. We’re coming up on nine years since I proclaimed Miles Morales to be the most important character introduced in comics since Wolverine. I think this has aged well, too.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:17:35 pm Wow. We’re coming up on nine years since I proclaimed Miles Morales to be the most important character introduced in comics since Wolverine. I think this has aged well, too.
The real question is how heavily you followed your own advice, and how many you still have in your collection? :atomic:

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

StarBrand wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:17:35 pm Wow. We’re coming up on nine years since I proclaimed Miles Morales to be the most important character introduced in comics since Wolverine. I think this has aged well, too.
I bought 2 extra copies (in addition to my original book) thanks to your advice :thumb: and still have all 3 in my collection. I'm thinking a good time to sell will be when Miles shows up live action style in a Spidey movie and breaks the internet?
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I bought the regular book in 9.8 for about $100. Grateful for the advice here and I still have it.