Dynamite bringing in top talent

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Dynamite bringing in top talent

Post by BugsySig »

In the past few days Dynamite has announced new series by Garth Enis, Rick Remender, Andy Diggle, Abnett & Lanning, Mark Waid and VALIANT's own Fred Van Lente. That's quite the group.

I wonder if DE is getting a little nervous at all the new competition from new and growing Indy publishers like VEI, Boom! and IDW, and the rejuvenation of several projects at Dark Horse?

I am also interested because all those names are showing a willingness to work outside the Big 2, which means maybe we will see some of them on a VALIANT title eventually. DnA would be great on something cosmic, and you can't go wrong with Remender right now.

Would anyone else be interested in seeing these names at VALIANT?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Re: Dynamite bringing in top talent

Post by 400yrs »

BugsySig wrote:In the past few days Dynamite has announced new series by Garth Enis, Rick Remender, Andy Diggle, Abnett & Lanning, Mark Waid and VALIANT's own Fred Van Lente. That's quite the group.

I wonder if DE is getting a little nervous at all the new competition from new and growing Indy publishers like VEI, Boom! and IDW, and the rejuvenation of several projects at Dark Horse?

I am also interested because all those names are showing a willingness to work outside the Big 2, which means maybe we will see some of them on a VALIANT title eventually. DnA would be great on something cosmic, and you can't go wrong with Remender right now.

All those names have already worked on the properties aside from Remender and Diggle.
ASM Crossover Home

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

400yrs wrote:
BugsySig wrote:In the past few days Dynamite has announced new series by Garth Enis, Rick Remender, Andy Diggle, Abnett & Lanning, Mark Waid and VALIANT's own Fred Van Lente. That's quite the group.

All those names have already worked on the properties aside from Remender and Diggle.
Really? I had no idea DnA and Waid worked for VALIANT in the past...or maybe I did and my memory fails me...but, hey, Patch Zircher dabbled in OG VALIANT and he's back and kicking *SQUEE*.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Add Tim Seeley and Josh Failkov to the list.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

So... 8 issue mini-series that take 16 months to publish and spin-off minis that never finish the first arc?

Yeah, sign me up for that.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Chiclo wrote:So... 8 issue mini-series that take 16 months to publish and spin-off minis that never finish the first arc?

Yeah, sign me up for that.
:funnypost:

That's how I like my Dynamite :lol:

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

So you're saying Dynamite has a slow fuse? [ducks]
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

After suffering through the one of the worse comics of all that was Transformers: Heart of Darkness that DnA wrote I would be more inclined NOT to buy a new comic with either of names attached to it. I lost a ton of respect for them after that turd.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Cyberstrike wrote:

After suffering through the one of the worse comics of all that was Transformers: Heart of Darkness that DnA wrote I would be more inclined NOT to buy a new comic with either of names attached to it. I lost a ton of respect for them after that turd.
Hey, everybody poops.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

i love dynamite, they are one of my favorite publishers.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Brother Darque wrote:i don't really like dynamite, they are shoddy variant cash in merchants that have been miliking the name Alex Ross for years and don't really have any ideas.
Fixed that for ya, :lol: sorry

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Brother Darque wrote:i love dynamite, they are one of my favorite publishers.
After four years of being a solid Dynamite fan and customer, I am beginning to develop Battered Dynamite Fan Syndrome.

It is similar to Battered Marvel Fan Syndrome, just with more sadness about never seeing Project Superpowers, Kirby Genesis or other smash-hit Dynamite properties ever again.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Chiclo wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:i love dynamite, they are one of my favorite publishers.
After four years of being a solid Dynamite fan and customer, I am beginning to develop Battered Dynamite Fan Syndrome.

It is similar to Battered Marvel Fan Syndrome, just with more sadness about never seeing Project Superpowers, Kirby Genesis or other smash-hit Dynamite properties ever again.
+1

I don't plan on buying any of these, or anything from Dynamite period, for those reasons. I just found it interesting that so many writers would be doing work-for-hire at a non-Big 2 company, and that it bodes well for VEI to continue drawing in top notch talent in the future.

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

The only Dynamite book I remember buying is The Boys. That got too gross though.
ASM Crossover Home

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

BugsySig wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

Hey, everybody poops.

When someone craps all over your favorite franchise the way that those 2 did how the hell would you feel?
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Cyberstrike wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

Hey, everybody poops.

When someone craps all over your favorite franchise the way that those 2 did how the hell would you feel?
That's how I have felt with the Defenders for, like, my entire life. But it's not like I gave up on Busiek, Larsen, Casey and Fraction because of it. Sometimes the concept just doesn't work, sometimes there are editorial mandates. Either way, it's not like someone just stops being a good writer for years and becomes a bad one overnight (OK, so it does happen, but I'm not willing to make that leap based on one series of work alone).

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by davidb »

BugsySig wrote:
400yrs wrote:

Really? I had no idea DnA and Waid worked for VALIANT in the past...or maybe I did and my memory fails me...but, hey, Patch Zircher dabbled in OG VALIANT and he's back and kicking *SQUEE*.
DnA wrote the Shadowman V3 book and Waid relaunched X-O Manowar for Acclaim along with Operation Stormbreaker.
This post has been approved by the Harbinger Foundation.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

davidb wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
400yrs wrote:

DnA wrote the Shadowman V3 book and Waid relaunched X-O Manowar for Acclaim along with Operation Stormbreaker.
Didn't DnA also write Ninjak (V1) at one point as well?
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by davidb »

SJS4 wrote:
davidb wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
400yrs wrote:

Didn't DnA also write Ninjak (V1) at one point as well?
Looks like you're right. Here's the full list of DNA's books from the VF database:

Bloodshot # 47 Date: MAY / 1996
Bloodshot # 48 Date: MAY / 1996
H.A.R.D. Corps # 21 Date: SEP / 1994
H.A.R.D. Corps # 22 Date: OCT / 1994
Ninjak # 7 Date: SEP / 1994
Ninjak # 8 Date: OCT / 1994
Ninjak # 11 Date: JAN / 1995
Ninjak # 12 (with SP card) Date: FEB / 1995
Ninjak # 13 (with card) Date: MAR / 1995
Ninjak # 14 Date: APR / 1995
Ninjak # 15 Date: MAY / 1995
Ninjak # 16 Date: JUN / 1995
Ninjak # 17 Date: JUL / 1995
Ninjak # 18 Date: JUL / 1995
Ninjak # 19 Date: AUG / 1995
Ninjak # 20 Date: AUG / 1995
Ninjak # 21 Date: SEP / 1995
Shadowman Vol 3 # 1 Date: July / 1999
Shadowman Vol 3 # 1 VARIANT With Price Date: July / 1999
Shadowman Vol 3 # 1 VARIANT No Price Date: July / 1999
Shadowman Vol 3 # 2 Date: August / 1999
Shadowman Vol 3 # 2 VARIANT Date: August / 1999
Shadowman Vol 3 # 3 Date: September / 1999
Shadowman Vol 3 # 4 Date: October / 1999
Shadowman Vol 3 # 5 Date: November / 1999
Shadowman Vol 3 # 6 Date: December / 1999

I'd forgotten all about those Ninjaks, Bloodshots, and HARD Corps stories.
This post has been approved by the Harbinger Foundation.