Miracleman comeback

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: Miracleman comeback

Post by Cyberstrike »

Brother Darque wrote:also, will he be called Marvelman again?
The Marvel article called the series Miracleman.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Cyberstrike wrote:
I'm honestly glad about that. After the first arc of so (and especially during Gaiman's run) MIracleman just makes a lot more sense.

I am however *SQUEE* about how Marvel is gouging readers and milking this this for all the cash it's worth. $5.99 for the first issue and $4.99 and issue after that. Probably for a lot of useless garbage "director's cut" type material. :!:

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Cyberstrike wrote:
I heard somewhere that to avoid any confusion, in the new stories he will be referred to as "Bernard".

Tim

Post by Tim »

dave wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
I heard somewhere that to avoid any confusion, in the new stories he will be referred to as "Bernard".
Pronounced "BURN-erd" of course, cuz y'know, he's British.

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Absotively.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Tim wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
I'm honestly glad about that. After the first arc of so (and especially during Gaiman's run) MIracleman just makes a lot more sense.

I am however *SQUEE* about how Marvel is gouging readers and milking this this for all the cash it's worth. $5.99 for the first issue and $4.99 and issue after that. Probably for a lot of useless garbage "director's cut" type material. :!:

It's a bit of a rip-off, although they're likely recouping on the costs it took to own the property. Also, I've noticed recent Gaiman books tending to be more expensive than regular books. It's probably because he gets paid a premium, in comparison to other writers, so the cover price of books end up being higher as a result.

I'm going to trade-wait on Miracleman anyway, so the price of the single issues doesn't bother me. I'm looking forward to having that series in hardcover format.

I do wonder if they're going to censor or change the comic strips Miracleman read as a kid (Captain Marvel). Marvel Comics would likely have to pay royalty fees to DC/Time Warner if they keep that in there, however brief the "appearance" is.

The Spider
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by The Spider »

Savant wrote: I do wonder if they're going to censor or change the comic strips Miracleman read as a kid (Captain Marvel). Marvel Comics would likely have to pay royalty fees to DC/Time Warner if they keep that in there, however brief the "appearance" is.
Hard to say. Marvel has a trademark on the name "Captain Marvel" so using that title within the book (like in one of Gaiman's issues for example) isn't a problem. The only time I remember them using a picture of the Marvel Family was during the origin of Miracleman when Gargunza noticed a comic book lying around. It could be they just recolor it with one color so it wouldn't stand out. But there's also been a debate about whether or not Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family are actually in the public domain, too.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

My LCS had a lot to say from the retailer and gouging perspective on this. For my two cents, he's a small business man that I trust. Here's his opinion:
So, I posted on the Facebook page yesterday my excitement over eight (8!!!) covers for Miracleman #1 in the new Marvel solicits. This morning I was reading Mike Sterling’s blog, Progressive Ruin (which I do often), and he had some comments about it. Now Mike has been doing this a lot longer than I have, so I trust his wisdom and knowledge.

First of all, here is the solicit info:

MIRACLEMAN #1 & 2
THE ORIGINAL WRITER & MICK ANGLO (W)
GARRY LEACH, ALAN DAVIS, PAUL NEARY, STEVE DILLON & MICK ANGLO (A)
ISSUE #1 – COVER BY JOE QUESADA
Variant COVER BY JOHN CASSADAY (1:200)
Variant COVER BY MARK BUCKINGHAM (1:100)
Variant COVER BY JEROME OPENA (1:50)
Variant COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU (1:75)
Sketch VARIANT BY JOE QUESADA (1:75)
YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG (Exceed Guardians of the Galaxy #6)
CLASSIC VARIANT BY GARRY LEACH (Exceed Guardians of the Galaxy #6)

ISSUE #2 – COVER BY ALAN DAVIS
Variant COVER BY ARTHUR ADAMS (1:75)
Variant COVER BY MIKE PERKINS (1:50)
Variant COVER BY MIKE MCKONE (1:50)
Sketch VARIANT BY ALAN DAVIS (1:100)
• KIMOTA! With one magic word, a long-forgotten legend lives again!
• Freelance reporter Michael Moran always knew he was meant for something more — now, a strange series of events leads him to reclaim his destiny!
• Relive the ground-breaking eighties adventures that captured lightning in a bottle — or experience them for the first time — in these digitally restored, fully relettered editions!
• Issue 1 includes material originally presented in WARRIOR #1 and MIRACLEMAN #1, plus the MARVELMAN PRIMER. Issue #2 includes material originally presented in WARRIOR #1-5, plus bonus material.
ISSUE #1 – 64 PGS./Parental Advisory…$5.99
ISSUE #2 – 48 PGS./Parental Advisory…$4.99

For clarification, I am adding in the variant ratios. What they mean is I have to order 75 copies in order to be able to order 1 copy of the variant. Or in the case of exceed, I have to order more copies of #1 than I did of the other book to be able to order that variant. I ordered 50 copies of Guardians of the Galaxy (all the hubub about Angela, ya know).

So here are my concerns:

1) These are all reprint books. Issue #1 is 64 pages, but 32 of those are text pieces from Marvelman Primer that came out 2 years ago when the whole Miracleman thing was first announced. To give you an idea of my concern, I sold exactly 1 copy of that book.

2) Its $5.99. That is going to chase away many casual shoppers. “I’ve heard about this Miracleman… $5.99? I’ll wait for the trade.” Issue #2 is $4.99 which isn’t great either, but at least it won’t be half text.

3) 8 variants, but to even get one, I have to order 50 copies. So, I have to order $300 of a reprint book to get one variant cover. $1200 to get them all. That an awful lot for a reprint book that is half text pieces.

4) Alan Moore’s name will be nowhere on the book. Neither will Neil Gaiman’s until the later issues.

5) 2 issues the first month, meaning that I have to have my committed final orders in on #2 before I see the interest in #1. I truly believe that Marvel does this on purpose with books just to guarantee higher orders. If you look at the solicits for January, 5 new titles are shipping their first 2 issues in the January, meaning I have to guess on #1 and #2. It can’t really be coincidence. Add in Marvel’s low overprint and instant sell-out, they force us to gamble high.

Now, I’m guessing they paid a boatload for the rights to all of this and that is why the price is so high. It’s not like they are paying the writer or artist and have to make back those expenses. I just think they are really shooting themselves in the foot by pricing this stuff so high. Issue #1 with 32 pages of reprint story is $5.99.There is just no way I can realistically order anywhere near the variant levels on this. I’m not saying that people won’t be interested in this. Since I started collecting comics and reading magazines like Wizard and Comic Buyers Guide, I’ve always heard about Miracleman. It one of those, “Wow, I wish I could read that, it sounds great!” things. But I think Marvel is hurting themselves doing it this way. This is a niche book that has a curious type audience. They’ve heard of it but have not read it. People that grab #1, get home and realize it’s half text probably won’t be back for #2 unless it is absolutely awesome. Especially at $4.99.

I hope I’m wrong, but I am going to have to order with my checkbook rather than supposed internet excitement on this.

If you want it, please let me know. I’m really guessing blind on this one.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I definitely think the price is way too high. I will not be picking this up. I will wait for trade or digital sale.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:I definitely think the price is way too high. I will not be picking this up. I will wait for trade or digital sale.
TPB's all the way for me
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Tim

Post by Tim »

kevinbastos wrote:
So here are my concerns:

1) These are all reprint books. Issue #1 is 64 pages, but 32 of those are text pieces from Marvelman Primer that came out 2 years ago when the whole Miracleman thing was first announced. To give you an idea of my concern, I sold exactly 1 copy of that book.

2) Its $5.99. That is going to chase away many casual shoppers. “I’ve heard about this Miracleman… $5.99? I’ll wait for the trade.” Issue #2 is $4.99 which isn’t great either, but at least it won’t be half text.

3) 8 variants, but to even get one, I have to order 50 copies. So, I have to order $300 of a reprint book to get one variant cover. $1200 to get them all. That an awful lot for a reprint book that is half text pieces.

4) Alan Moore’s name will be nowhere on the book. Neither will Neil Gaiman’s until the later issues.

5) 2 issues the first month, meaning that I have to have my committed final orders in on #2 before I see the interest in #1. I truly believe that Marvel does this on purpose with books just to guarantee higher orders. If you look at the solicits for January, 5 new titles are shipping their first 2 issues in the January, meaning I have to guess on #1 and #2. It can’t really be coincidence. Add in Marvel’s low overprint and instant sell-out, they force us to gamble high.

Now, I’m guessing they paid a boatload for the rights to all of this and that is why the price is so high. It’s not like they are paying the writer or artist and have to make back those expenses. I just think they are really shooting themselves in the foot by pricing this stuff so high. Issue #1 with 32 pages of reprint story is $5.99.There is just no way I can realistically order anywhere near the variant levels on this. I’m not saying that people won’t be interested in this. Since I started collecting comics and reading magazines like Wizard and Comic Buyers Guide, I’ve always heard about Miracleman. It one of those, “Wow, I wish I could read that, it sounds great!” things. But I think Marvel is hurting themselves doing it this way. This is a niche book that has a curious type audience. They’ve heard of it but have not read it. People that grab #1, get home and realize it’s half text probably won’t be back for #2 unless it is absolutely awesome. Especially at $4.99.

I hope I’m wrong, but I am going to have to order with my checkbook rather than supposed internet excitement on this.

If you want it, please let me know. I’m really guessing blind on this one.
Very good points. I'd add the fact that I think a lot of readers will be underwhelmed with the first issues. Miracleman did not start to pick up steam until a few issues in and I think a lot of readers will be expecting mind-blowing Alan Moore and not get it.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Savant wrote:
Tim wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

It's a bit of a rip-off, although they're likely recouping on the costs it took to own the property. Also, I've noticed recent Gaiman books tending to be more expensive than regular books. It's probably because he gets paid a premium, in comparison to other writers, so the cover price of books end up being higher as a result.
Well he's a critically acclaimed award-winning NYT best selling novelist who has probably made more money off his first novel than his whole body of comics he's wrote. Also Neil Gaiman doesn't write comics that often now of days, I mean seriously after the second Death mini-series and Angela how many comics did he write before 1602? Not a lot and damn if I can remember any of them and it's always a one-shot, mini-series, or a short arc, (which outside of The Sandman and his orginal plans for Miracleman were his longest comics works). Chances are if he didn't feel or was legally obligated I doubt he would write The Sandman: Overture or finish Mircaleman and even money he will only finish Miracleman: The Silver Age and if sells enough maybe we'll get Miracleman: The Dark Age, so I don't see him going beyond that. No matter what he says in that short video interview he did for Marvel.

Also this series is costing Marvel a lot a money to do, IIRC the Marvel article mentioned that they are re-coloring the whole series and stated that they had to delveop some new ways to re-color and/or technology to do it as well finding and paying for the orginal art or photostats (from a lot of different artists and possibly CBA collectors who might have bought it over the years) to re-color it, as well the legal bills this series has racked up over the years. Not to mention paying all the varient cover artists (another reason why I HATE varient covers they jack up the price of comics).
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

It still costs too much for what it is. I saw the solicits for Sandman. Also $4.99 for 32 pages. Ridiculous. I'm really starting to think that Gaiman's ego is to blame for these prices. As I have ranted before, I used to be a big time fan of Gaiman (work and the man), but now just the work (in spite of the man). A DC and a Marvel comic with his name on them both just happen to be selling for a premium. Give me a break. Just because he's a NYT best selling author means crap. He is a GREAT writer. So is Rudyard Kipling, and most of his books are free. If you want to go contemporary - Cory Doctorow is awesome - also free. Demanding to be paid more (I'm making the assumption that the increased cost is due to Gaiman demanding more money - which may not be the case) because you have a good reputation is beneath a man of Neil Gaiman's character (or at least the character he had when he relied on rabid fans like me to support him when he was still just starting in novels).
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

this solicit surprises the hell out of me...

although with the price it curtainly doesn't seem like they are going to sell a ton of copies :roll:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?