Ultimatum

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Ultimatum

Post by 400yrs »

I must've picked up 1-3 in a 50¢ bin or something and I just read them. I see there is some hatred for this series and I usually dislike Loeb's stuff, but this was ok. I like all the peeps dying.

Did they end up just resetting everything in the Ultimate universe after this series?
ASM Crossover Home

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Re: Ultimatum

Post by BruceReville »

Nope - major players stayed dead - Fantastic Four stay split-up - X-Men basically a non-factor - the world still recovering from the events of Ultimatum - the over the top deaths are what turned the series off for me.

Wasp eaten by Blob - Magneto killed by Cyclops optic blast - Cyclops killed by Quicksilver basically shoving a bullet into his head - Doom killed when the Thing crushed his head with his hands - Wolverine killed by Cyclops and Iron man with help from Magneto (vaporized) - Giant man killed by scores of Multiple Man suicide bombers. Everything done with graphic images.
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

BruceReville wrote:Nope - major players stayed dead - Fantastic Four stay split-up - X-Men basically a non-factor - the world still recovering from the events of Ultimatum - the over the top deaths are what turned the series off for me.

Wasp eaten by Blob - Magneto killed by Cyclops optic blast - Cyclops killed by Quicksilver basically shoving a bullet into his head - Doom killed when the Thing crushed his head with his hands - Wolverine killed by Cyclops and Iron man with help from Magneto (vaporized) - Giant man killed by scores of Multiple Man suicide bombers. Everything done with graphic images.
When one lacks the talent, imagination or ability, one will rely instead on shock value. I have no trouble with graphic violence, but when it becomes an everyday thing, that is when it becomes a crutch. Of course, subtle storytelling wasn't the point of the Ultimate or Max lines.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

BruceReville wrote:Nope - major players stayed dead - Fantastic Four stay split-up - X-Men basically a non-factor - the world still recovering from the events of Ultimatum - the over the top deaths are what turned the series off for me.

The over the top deaths are definitely gross. The Wasp one with her guts hanging out? Blegh! I think Giant Man bit someone's head off too. maybe the Blob? That stuff was definitely shock value stuff. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever read though and it's cool that they didn't just wipe it out .
ASM Crossover Home

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

In one go Loeb completely ruined 10 years of pretty darn good stories right there.

Know idea why they let this guy loose on the Ultimate universe.

Just plain wrong.

:|
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Draco wrote:In one go Loeb completely ruined 10 years of pretty darn good stories right there.

Just plain wrong.

I see what you mean, but I think the Marvel U had pretty much ran its course so they went the shock jock way. I still don't really pay attention to it although the new Spidey character is interesting.
ASM Crossover Home

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I am going through and reading some digital versions of the Ultimate comics that I am missing (and posted a WTB Ultimate comics thread) and I have been enjoying them so far. I had read just about everything Ultimate when it was coming out but let go of the X-Men because they just had to do the gay thing, then Fantastic Four started SO GREAT, then petered out into nothing and I would still like to get the original Ultimate Spiderman books, because well just because and from what I read of the early books it was good (no interest in the new Spider-el hombre). Wanting to pick up everything that I don't have of The Ultimates and New Avengers, Thor and Hawkeye.

Ultimatum was a chance to retool the Ultimate universe by killing off characters, millions on the planet, and trying to shake up things but at least "dead is dead" from what I have seen in this universe. And hell, the Red Skull is Captain America's son so things can't be all that bad. I enjoy reading Ultimate Iron Man in whatever story he is in... "good stuff" in my book.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Knightt wrote: I enjoy reading Ultimate Iron Man in whatever story he is in... "good stuff" in my book.
Over the last few weeks, I read the first two Ultimates trades. In those and in the Ultimatum book, I think Tony had a drink in his hands in every introductory panel. They over did that big time.
ASM Crossover Home

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I always got out of it that Loeb was sort of using that story as some kind of catharsis or outlet for all of the vapid feelings that he had from losing his son. I think there was a real negative declined in him from that loss, and if you look at that story as a whole, it's less about shocking deaths and more about morbidity.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Interesting. I didn't know he lost a son.

I didn't read the last 2 issues, but I could see getting that vibe from it. I don't think it needed to be so graphic though. The panel with Wasp's guts hangin out was gross.
ASM Crossover Home

Draco

Post by Draco »

400yrs wrote:
Draco wrote:In one go Loeb completely ruined 10 years of pretty darn good stories right there.

Just plain wrong.

I see what you mean, but I think the Marvel U had pretty much ran its course so they went the shock jock way. I still don't really pay attention to it although the new Spidey character is interesting.

I think you are right, it had been going a while and they needed to make a decision on what direction to go, just the worst person ever to do that.

I know he lost his son and that must be one of the hardest things to deal with ever, but i just look at his books and cant see what there is to like about any of them for some time. I'm sure he is a nice guys and I don't want to come across like a hater. His work is awful and i hope someone in charge sees that before he ruins anything else.

Did they undo a lot of what happened in Ultimatum already?
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Draco wrote: Did they undo a lot of what happened in Ultimatum already?

According to Bruce, no. So that's kind of cool at least.
ASM Crossover Home

Draco

Post by Draco »

400yrs wrote:

Cool, just did what bugs me and skipped his post :oops:

I thought they already went back on some of what he did, so my bad, best go grab me a stack and read them to find out WTF is going on.

:thumb:

KO2003
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by KO2003 »

I bought this series for the art alone. I knew the story semi-sucked but I like Finch covers.. :|

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

KO2003 wrote:I bought this series for the art alone. I knew the story semi-sucked but I like Finch covers.. :|
The covers were weak even for Finch. I don't think his heart was in it at all.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Draco wrote:
400yrs wrote:

I thought they already went back on some of what he did, so my bad, best go grab me a stack and read them to find out WTF is going on.

:o Skipped my post? I thought we were tighter than that. No more me in fishnet stocking photos for you mister! :mad:

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

IMJ wrote:I always got out of it that Loeb was sort of using that story as some kind of catharsis or outlet for all of the vapid feelings that he had from losing his son. I think there was a real negative declined in him from that loss, and if you look at that story as a whole, it's less about shocking deaths and more about morbidity.
I thought it was awful and more importantly wasteful; wasteful in that so many under-utilised characters were basically swept away along with the head-liners taken out.

I don't think Loeb ever 'got' the Ultimate universe, not properly; look at his forcing of the cod-Shakespearian dialogue to Thor as a regular MU holdover - this was immediately ret-conned away by Millar at one of his earliest opportunities. Ultimates 3 felt like a discarded plot from the heroes reborn Image-Marvel era of Avengers.

I don't think this (Ultimatum) was cathartic writing in the slightest. I think it was nihilistic. Possibly fuelled by the same triggering event as cited above, but nihilism without doubt in my mind. Same could be seen in the TV show Heroes when he was involved with that, which was around the same time, with its over-used shock deaths that crept into the seasons he was involved with.

This is not an anti-Loeb rant as a writer; I enjoyed Long Halloween, much of his Batman/Superman run and especially Daredevil: Yellow when I read it. But Ultimatum? As I said, awful and wasteful in equal measure with no redeeming measure in the writing for me except the core plot point of the Ultimatum wave which was a brave decision, but was also another example of nihilism in of itself.
Last edited by leonmallett on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:28:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

BruceReville wrote:
Draco wrote:
400yrs wrote:

:o Skipped my post? I thought we were tighter than that. No more me in fishnet stocking photos for you mister! :mad:
No worries Draco... I have quite a few photos of Bruce in fishnet stockings, except mine are of Bruce (in said fishnet stockings), a vacuum cleaner, an electric weed whacker and a some kind of small water fowl !! The angle makes it difficult to tell exactly what it is, but I am betting small water fowl by the look on Bruce's face. :thumb:

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Knightt wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Draco wrote:
400yrs wrote:

No worries Draco... I have quite a few photos of Bruce in fishnet stockings, except mine are of Bruce (in said fishnet stockings), a vacuum cleaner, an electric weed whacker and a some kind of small water fowl !! The angle makes it difficult to tell exactly what it is, but I am betting small water fowl by the look on Bruce's face. :thumb:
It was a mallard duck.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

This actually makes me want to read Ultimatum. :lol:
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

BruceReville wrote:
Knightt wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Draco wrote:
400yrs wrote:

It was a mallard duck.

I thought that is what it was but I couldn't see it's head because it was betwe... yeah, I couldn't see it's head.
Last edited by Knightt on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:25:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

StarBrand wrote:This actually makes me want to read Ultimatum. :lol:
The mallard duck ?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Knightt wrote:
The mallard duck ?
No, I meant this thread makes me want to read it. :D
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

StarBrand wrote:
Knightt wrote:
The mallard duck ?
Stupid thing is? I find the series pretty reprehensible, but as a little bit of a UMU completist, I own it in 2 formats... :oops:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Draco

Post by Draco »

leonmallett wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Knightt wrote:
The mallard duck ?
Stupid thing is? I find the series pretty reprehensible, but as a little bit of a UMU completist, I own it in 2 formats... :oops:

OCD's can still be fun :)