Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Post by StarBrand »

Discuss comics that are hard to find or are currently hot.
Last edited by StarBrand on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:55:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Cool. I enjoy this information and would appreciate it if you would post when you update your site to remind me to check in. Good luck with it!
:thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

geocarr wrote:Cool. I enjoy this information and would appreciate it if you would post when you update your site to remind me to check in. Good luck with it!
I'll bump this thread from time to time. I'll most likely be updating the site most every day. :thumb:

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Very cool. I had no idea Thunderstrike #24 was going for that much.

Such a great series... :cloud9:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Tim wrote:Very cool. I had no idea Thunderstrike #24 was going for that much.

Such a great series... :cloud9:
I've sold that book in the 25.00 range in nm. I sold one copy on eBay around six or seven years ago and the buyer said that was the only copy he'd ever seen come up for sale at that time.

Tim

Post by Tim »

There's on on now for $24.99. One ended with BIN about a week ago for around $2.

Just picked up a lot of $1 through 24 for $20. Pretty good deal, I think. Thanks for reminding me about that series!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Tim wrote:There's on on now for $24.99. One ended with BIN about a week ago for around $2.

Just picked up a lot of $1 through 24 for $20. Pretty good deal, I think. Thanks for reminding me about that series!
Of course prices will vary on eBay. Sounds like you got some good deals! I read several issues of Thunderstrike when it was coming out and liked it a lot. Needless to say, I'd have bought that one for 2.00 for sure if I'd seen it. :thumb:
Last edited by StarBrand on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:21:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

good stuff looks like a great start but if i find invincible 1 for 50 its hard not to pull the trigger i have not seen one that cheep in years (might just be a regional thing)

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

superman-prime wrote:good stuff looks like a great start but if i find invincible 1 for 50 its hard not to pull the trigger i have not seen one that cheep in years (might just be a regional thing)
A couple copies have sold on eBay for less than that in the last week. The sellers had real low ratings which may have kept the price down, though. Of course when I hear an opinion like that from a knowledgable collector like you I'll have to take it into consideration. :hm:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

In particular I'm hoping to build up the hard to find comics page with an entry or two on most days, at least for a while. I've got some info set aside for that page, and turn stuff up that would be good to go on that page with a fair amount of regularity as well.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I am totally interested in information like this. I will be checking this out often. The hard to find back issues are very interesting to me.

Nice start.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Elveen wrote:I am totally interested in information like this. I will be checking this out often. The hard to find back issues are very interesting to me.

Nice start.
Thanks for checking it out, brother. I'll most likely be adding to the hard to find comics page once or twice a day for a while. Hopefully I'll be adding other stuff to the site that might interest you once in a while too. :thumb:

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

One early suggestion...... do you know/can you list why the specific book is valued so high? On some you say low print run..... but what about the Conan book, or the promethia?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Elveen wrote:One early suggestion...... do you know/can you list why the specific book is valued so high? On some you say low print run..... but what about the Conan book, or the promethia?
Promethea 32 is a book I saw sell for something like 30.00 on eBay a couple years ago. I then walked into a store and found two nm copies of it for something like 3.50 ea and bought them both and they sold quickly for me at 29.99 ea on eBay. I'm not sure exactly why it goes for so much. It's the last issue of the series, but certainly not many last issues of series go for that much from the modern era, especially when the next to last issue, 31, goes for around cover price the last time I checked. That's the weird type of stuff that so intrigues me about studying prices on modern books.
Conan 275 is similar. It's the last issue. I remember shortly after I discovered that one I picked up like four or five copies of it from one store and did real well with them.
I've sold the last two issues of Thunderstrike for 20.00+ ea in nm, but I've no idea why the last two issues go for so much, when the third to last issue doesn't. I think Thunderstrike 24 has a few copies available on eBay at the moment, but over the years that issue's been super tough to find. Why aren't other last issues from other series from the same year just as hard to find? No idea.
In any event, I'll be putting forth info on some of this stuff on the site in the coming days...Lord willing, of course. Thanks again for the interest.

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

The kind of website I'd love to have as a hobby if I had time for any of my existing hobbies (or website making knowledge). I'd love to see print runs where possible, and maybe a section divided by company for last issues. Good luck!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

JohnnyRnR wrote:The kind of website I'd love to have as a hobby if I had time for any of my existing hobbies (or website making knowledge). I'd love to see print runs where possible, and maybe a section divided by company for last issues. Good luck!
That would be great if someone did an outstanding site with comic prices on hard to find issues tied into print runs. I don't think I could pull off much of the print run stuff, but I've thought about doing something with last issues. That may be forthcoming. Thanks for the wishes. :thumb:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

As far as recent print runs go you should check out ComiChron, if you haven't already.
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

very cool idea. I'll be checking in to see what's new.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

greg wrote:As far as recent print runs go you should check out ComiChron, if you haven't already.
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html

Wow. Thanks! :thumb: Added to my favorites. I'll definately be using this.
Last edited by StarBrand on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:53:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

dellamorte wrote:very cool idea. I'll be checking in to see what's new.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the initial encouragement, everyone.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Wolf-man 11 is going for that much? Really? Why? Seems like Brit 7 would be tougher to find because the print run is lower. Weird.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

400yrs wrote:Wolf-man 11 is going for that much? Really? Why?
I think it has to do with it being an Invincible crossover. There may be other factors involved as well. It's tough to say on some of this stuff as to exactly why something sells for what it does. I actually have reason to believe the cover image can have something to do with the desirability of and demand for a comic as well.
No copies are for sale on eBay at the moment, and Mile High and mycomicshop are both out of it. I've seen copies go for 30.00 in the past, though. I'd be interested to see how much one closed at on an auction style listing.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I'm finally getting a chance to work on the site with a computer. I'm adding a few entries to the Hard To Find Comics page, including Birds Of Prey #16. A copy just sold on eBay for 24.99, and no other copies are available there at the moment. Also, the two sellers I refer to as 'The Big Boys,' Mile High and mycomicshop, are both out of it as well.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Archie #600 only shipped 4,234 copies?

Wow....I thought that one would be a bigger deal.
Last edited by Tim on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:06:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Tim wrote:Archie #600 only shipped 4234 copies?

Wow....I thought that one would be a bigger deal.
Im sure as they are also sold elsewhere and dont count as Diamond orders they may well be higher.