Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
Re: Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Post by superman-prime »

nice

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

A Splatterball no seal variant is listed for sale in eBay at the moment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Splatterball-1 ... 0011.m1850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

The foil covers for the nightmare Batmen of Dark Nights are going up, right now. Hard to find a Red Death #1 for less than 20 dollars.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

any movement on the iron spidy issue of amazing spiderman with a camio in avengers 3 trailer id expect movement

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

superman-prime wrote:any movement on the iron spidy issue of amazing spiderman with a camio in avengers 3 trailer id expect movement
Yes I have sold a few at $20-25 dollar range but it's not adding any extra price on the book I think that's been the price of the book for awhile but they are actually moving now instead of just being looked at.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

hoping that in gauntlet both go high been piling them up for a few years

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

A raw Splatterball No Seal variant sells for $76.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/SPLATTERBALL-0-U ... SwB9hZ4YXt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Just wanted to post this here to see if anyone else has any thoughts on ASM 361 as a longterm "Hot" comic:
grendeljd wrote:
IMJ wrote:Amazing Spider-Man #361 | Maybe a cliche pick, but it's Bagley art is terrific, the cover is iconic for it's introduction of Spidey's new psycho villain and it kicks off Marvel's pretty hardcore support of Carnage from this point forward.
Any thoughts on the long term value of this issue? Obviously it's a key 1st appearance - but I was wondering what kind of potential it has to grow & retain high value. Overstreet has it at ~$80 in 9.2, but I'm seeing it go for much more than that in shops & online. I actually decided to spring for a copy for $100 yesterday at my lcs. They had multiple copies available though, another raw one was $175, and they had a CGC 9.8 for $450.

Will it ever matter that there are likely a ton of high grade copies of it based on the era it was released?
nycjadie wrote:It's old at this point, and a glut key. That being said, I think demand is outstripping availability, especially in high grade. The A newsstand or Australian Variant should be worth a mint some day.
grendeljd wrote:
GGSAE wrote:My concern with ASM 361, unlike other keys is that there seems to be so many copies available. If anyone remembers my collection I bought that was heavy ASM, well it had five copies of this book (and a second print which is crazy to think that book went to a second printing). I think you’ll see more and more of that, it’s not something you see with other keys of other titles especially ASM. Having said that carnage is pretty big, so it will always be a must have book to own for a lot of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't Carnage going to be in the new Venom movie with Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock? I imagine there will be a leap in speculation pricing if thats the case.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I could see the Carnage book being a long term pick, if not a long term hot book. It may not be an ASM 300 or an Iron Man 55, but I could see it having as legit a market resonance as any other one or two tier Spidey villain, whereas the first appearance of characters like Styx and Stone, not so much.

If Venom is Spider-Man's Sinestro, then Carnage is Spider-Man's Hector Hammond (sorry, been buying Silver GL books lately....).

On another note for this thread, Iron Manv1 #219 is banging right now. I have so many thoughts on this one - like how badly I had hoped for the Ghost in Iron Man 3, but instead we got.... well... Iron Man 3 (-barf-), and how excited I am for this villain in Ant-Man & the Wasp, but then they gender bend the character for no reason (not a tremendous deal in of itself, yes a woman can be the Ghost, but in theory I'm pretty sick of this *SQUEE*).

And then there's the fact that I never got around to nabbing my own CGC 9.8 copy of this book, which is really frustrating because for me it's an Iron Man key and now there'll be more market competition for it. Anyway... Iron Man #219 is on legit cash grab right now. Previously a normal back-issue bin book and now a Marvel key.

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

I'm hoping the first time Wasp shows up in the trailer (it was awesome) will cause her first appearance Tales to Astonish #44 to be in higher demand I just put one up on Ebay

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote:On another note for this thread, Iron Manv1 #219 is banging right now. I have so many thoughts on this one - like how badly I had hoped for the Ghost in Iron Man 3, but instead we got.... well... Iron Man 3 (-barf-), and how excited I am for this villain in Ant-Man & the Wasp, but then they gender bend the character for no reason (not a tremendous deal in of itself, yes a woman can be the Ghost, but in theory I'm pretty sick of this *SQUEE*).

And then there's the fact that I never got around to nabbing my own CGC 9.8 copy of this book, which is really frustrating because for me it's an Iron Man key and now there'll be more market competition for it. Anyway... Iron Man #219 is on legit cash grab right now. Previously a normal back-issue bin book and now a Marvel key.
Ahh crap! I had no idea that The Ghost in the new Ant Man movie was that old villain. I haven't looked at my Iron Man comics in many years... I know I have a copy of #219 but I have no idea if it's in decent shape or not.

I wonder if it'll cool off after the movie comes & goes.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

grendeljd wrote:
IMJ wrote:On another note for this thread, Iron Manv1 #219 is banging right now. I have so many thoughts on this one - like how badly I had hoped for the Ghost in Iron Man 3, but instead we got.... well... Iron Man 3 (-barf-), and how excited I am for this villain in Ant-Man & the Wasp, but then they gender bend the character for no reason (not a tremendous deal in of itself, yes a woman can be the Ghost, but in theory I'm pretty sick of this *SQUEE*).

Ahh crap! I had no idea that The Ghost in the new Ant Man movie was that old villain. I haven't looked at my Iron Man comics in many years... I know I have a copy of #219 but I have no idea if it's in decent shape or not.

Usually does like 99% of the time

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)

Post by greatbrandino11 »

betterthanezra wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Usually does like 99% of the time

-Brian
I would guess very, very quickly. Probably faster than MOS 18.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

greatbrandino11

IMJ wrote:I could see the Carnage book being a long term pick, if not a long term hot book. It may not be an ASM 300 or an Iron Man 55, but I could see it having as legit a market resonance as any other one or two tier Spidey villain, whereas the first appearance of characters like Styx and Stone, not so much.

If Venom is Spider-Man's Sinestro, then Carnage is Spider-Man's Hector Hammond (sorry, been buying Silver GL books lately....).

On another note for this thread, Iron Manv1 #219 is banging right now. I have so many thoughts on this one - like how badly I had hoped for the Ghost in Iron Man 3, but instead we got.... well... Iron Man 3 (-barf-), and how excited I am for this villain in Ant-Man & the Wasp, but then they gender bend the character for no reason (not a tremendous deal in of itself, yes a woman can be the Ghost, but in theory I'm pretty sick of this *SQUEE*).

Good luck finding anyone to sell. I have not seen any graded copies come up for sale (except a 9.4 being sold alongside an Iron Man 1). I would guess a very hard book to obtain in 9.8 with the white cover.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

greatbrandino11 wrote:
IMJ wrote:I could see the Carnage book being a long term pick, if not a long term hot book. It may not be an ASM 300 or an Iron Man 55, but I could see it having as legit a market resonance as any other one or two tier Spidey villain, whereas the first appearance of characters like Styx and Stone, not so much.

Good luck finding anyone to sell. I have not seen any graded copies come up for sale (except a 9.4 being sold alongside an Iron Man 1). I would guess a very hard book to obtain in 9.8 with the white cover.
Ya.... But with basically 30 years of buying Iron Man stuff I've learned to be patient. Like other's have noted above, this book will cool off. Also, the statement of ownership found on the letters page of Iron Man vol 1 #231 states in section 10.A, "Total No. Copies Printed (net press run): Average no of copies each issue during preceding 12 months: 332,924. Single issue nearest the filing date: 321,286".

Now here, we could reduce the available submission population to make it harder for us by looking at the paid circulation, which the 1987 S.O.O. reports as averaging 179,567 "copies [of] each issue during the preceding 12 months". And then on top of that, let's assume that every copy of the traditional average print run was returned by tearing off covers, reducing the population to something nearer the paid circulation only. But even with that reduced volume, you've still got a nice shot at what's left of that population.

Basically, even with attrition, lost copies, and returns, that's a lot of Iron Man vol 1 #219's running around out there as potential high grade slabs from an existing population which exhibits a 40% return of 9.8's. Of course, I'm sure that hit rate would decline as more copies are submitted, but the fact is that any difficulty landing this book in that slabbed grade is likely due to lack of submission rather than lack of availability.

greatbrandino11

IMJ wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:

Ya.... But with basically 30 years of buying Iron Man stuff I've learned to be patient. Like other's have noted above, this book will cool off. Also, the statement of ownership found on the letters page of Iron Man vol 1 #231 states in section 10.A, "Total No. Copies Printed (net press run): Average no of copies each issue during preceding 12 months: 332,924. Single issue nearest the filing date: 321,286".

Now here, we could reduce the available submission population to make it harder for us by looking at the paid circulation, which the 1987 S.O.O. reports as averaging 179,567 "copies [of] each issue during the preceding 12 months". And then on top of that, let's assume that every copy of the traditional average print run was returned by tearing off covers, reducing the population to something nearer the paid circulation only. But even with that reduced volume, you've still got a nice shot at what's left of that population.

Basically, even with attrition, lost copies, and returns, that's a lot of Iron Man vol 1 #219's running around out there as potential high grade slabs from an existing population which exhibits a 40% return of 9.8's. Of course, I'm sure that hit rate would decline as more copies are submitted, but the fact is that any difficulty landing this book in that slabbed grade is likely due to lack of submission rather than lack of availability.
I have 8 of them in my collection, and a couple that are higher grade, but I'm reluctant to send to CGC because anything other than a 9.8 will leave me disappointment. It's a key Iron Man book that I've been trying to find in 9.8 for several years. It's not anything that will hold value, so I'd hesitate on paying premium price if one were to come out, and I'm sure that will be the asking price. Maybe I should roll the dice and try my luck with one.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

I didn't want to start a new thread on this one, and it fits here in a manner of speaking....

So I've been doing a pretty significant rebagging, regrading and recataloging effort on basically my entire collection. I bounce around between working on swaths of my Iron Man books, and working on other stuff by publisher. To keep myself grounded, I keep an array of CGC's of various grades next to me as reference (basically a span of examples ranging 4.5 - 9.8), in conjunction with Overstreet #47, of which I'm constantly referring to pages 225, 226 and 227. I haven't called a single book a 9.8 and only a few 9.6's. Mostly I won't even go there choosing to call the best of stuff 9.4's and the majority of things are falling into that 8 range. So I'm keeping this conservative and realistic.

So with that said, I've got 4 copies of Iron Man vol 1 #118 that I've been evaluating and putting into mylar with half backs. Did you guys know that this is now a $65 book in 9.2 (Comics Price guide online is similar at $67)? 8.5 copies, which are not difficult finds, are guiding at about $35. eBay sellers are asking 250 - 300 bucks for cgc 9.8's. I'll tell you now that true 8.5 copies shouldn't be too hard to find, and 8.0's are probably plentiful pretty cheap. I used to be up on this stuff almost to the moment, but I haven't written an Advanced Iron or Stark Market Report in a few years now.

Iron Man #118. 1st appearance of James "Rhodey" Rhodes. Tony Stark's best friend and the guy who becomes War Machine. This is also the issue from which the first Avengers movie mined the story event for Tony's armor-up sequence after being thrown from the window by Loki. Great book. Apparently now selling for 65 bucks if you can convince someone you've got a 9.2. I paid $1 for my first copy as a back issue probably somewhere around '92.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

I don't know that these are necessarily hot at the moment, but I do think there is value in DC/Marvel crossovers, particularly collected editions. DC and Marvel have gotten along to varying degrees over the years but once Superman vs. Spider-Man was published, it's over and done with. They don't go back and keep these crossovers in print so they're high profile characters in high profile books that don't stick around. I haven't looked into it, but I doubt they are available on Comixology or other digital platforms due to rights. Individual issues don't sell for nearly as much, obviously but I think there might be something to the lack of reprints/availability on these crossovers...now I just need to compile a complete list.

Amalgam TPBs sell for $20 - $45

JLA/Avengers TPB sells for $40 - $100

Superman vs. Spider-Man
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I haven't been keeping up with the market at all, but I bumped into Amazing Spider-Man 795 prices on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... kw=cgc+9.8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

StarBrand wrote:I haven't been keeping up with the market at all, but I bumped into Amazing Spider-Man 795 prices on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... kw=cgc+9.8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Norman Osborn becomes Carnage... probably destined to cool off, but currently a feeding frenzy.

greatbrandino11

greg wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I haven't been keeping up with the market at all, but I bumped into Amazing Spider-Man 795 prices on eBay.

Norman Osborn becomes Carnage... probably destined to cool off, but currently a feeding frenzy.
It will see a cool down once ASM starts a new series after 800. Carnage-related material is also extremely hot because of future movie speculation. With that said, I've always viewed Venom and Carnage as tremendous assets to a collection. There will always be a demand for them because of the cool factor. Depending on how the story ends, if there is a chance the Osborn Carnage returns, I see this as an issue to hold on to for a little bit.

P.S.

On a side note, it's not a bad story either. I've been keeping up with it.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

greg wrote:

What happened to cleatus kasady? Sorry about the spelling.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Thanos 13 thru 15 are crazy books now too....
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

IMO, buyer beware on these books long term.

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

Elveen wrote:IMO, buyer beware on these books long term.
In other words there won’t be long term investment potential on them IMO

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here