What were the best comics in your opinion?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

Just finished reading both volumes of Astro City for the first time. It was a very good series and well worth reading. I think the first 10-12 issues of V2 were my favorite. Thanks guys for suggesting them.

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

betterthanezra wrote:I think that John Byrnes run on Fantastic Four is VERY good....

-Brian
:thumb: I agree. Fantastic Four #260 was the first comic I ever bought as a kid and is also the comic that really got me into collecting when I re-read it as a teen.

My favorites are Fantastic Four 209-214, 242-244, and especially 258-262.

djwatson23
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by djwatson23 »

bump

i love this topic! it has given me some great reads!

i just read the miller daredevil run (1st run) and was blown away. loved 161 with bullseye at coney island....classic!

cobra_commander
Dude...one word - Pterodactyls!
Dude...one word - Pterodactyls!

Post by cobra_commander »

djwatson23 wrote:bump

i love this topic! it has given me some great reads!
Yeah it is a pretty cool topic :hm: :thumb:

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

I don't like to take the easy way out on this, but one title has always stuck with me, and that is Watchmen. I have given my TPB to many people to read and they have all enjoyed it. It was one of the strangest reads for me in high school. When I first discovered the issues around the time that the "Bubble" popped they were far edgier than anything that I was getting from my LCS at the time; he liked Image, which was the hot blonde of the comics industry in my opinion, fun to look at as long as she has nothing to say. Watchmen was, for me, the first comic that really forced me to question morality and humanity with zero apologies for making me do such a thing while reading a comic book. I can still pick it up and be blown away by the subject matter.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Dreadstar
The Life of Captian Marvel
The Death of Captian Marvel
Transformers (Marvel US/UK)
Transformers (IDW)
Transformers (Dreamwave)
Supergirl (Peter David's run)
Fallen Angel
Warlock (Jim Starlin's run)
Watchmen
Camelot 3000
Superman: What Ever Happen to the Man of Tommorrow
Sin City
Batman The Dark Knight Returns
Miracleman
Swamp Thing (Alan Moore's run)
Sandman
Crisis on Infinte Earths
Identity Crisis
John Bryne's Next Men
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

I am not a big Superman fan, but I am something of a fan of history and I really like The Red Son TPB. I thought that it was a nice take on how the world would have been completely different if Supes wasn't waving the red, white, and blue.

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

ThrillKillWill wrote:I am not a big Superman fan, but I am something of a fan of history and I really like The Red Son TPB. I thought that it was a nice take on how the world would have been completely different if Supes wasn't waving the red, white, and blue.
I thought Red Son was decent. I wasn't a big fan of it, especially I was not happy with their handling of Batman (come on, thats simply a cheap way to go)

Most of these are guilty pleasures, not necessarily the best stories AND some of them I haven't read in near a decade.

Captain America - The Blood Stone Hunt(357-363)- part treasure hunt, part Goonies the story wasn't great but I grew to love Diamondback from this storyline. Another favorite, Crossbones, was introduced as well.
The Avengers - The Crossing Line (319-324)- Sure Fabian must have been watching The Hunt for Red October a few too many times that week but I'm a junkie for when super-teams clash. Avengers, Soviet Super Soldiers, Alpha Flight and Atlanteans all fighting over a Russian Nuclear Sub. Good times.
X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants - Inferno- In hindsight its a silly little story for the most part, especially the X-Terminators mini. (of course I had to collect that part too) It was my first X-story so it will always have a soft spot, but Sinister, the culmnation of the Madeline Pryor-Jean Grey story, de-aging Illyana, more insight into Cyclops' childhood AND the damned story didn't revolve around Wolverine. The X-Men exacting revenge on the Mauraders, Xaviers Mansion got blowed up (again)...I change my mind, Claremont did a good job of sucking me into this world.
New Warriors(first 25 issues or so)

along with many of the others listed previous, still one of my favorite single issue stories of all time is Eternal Warrior #0

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

MProyas wrote:
ThrillKillWill wrote:I am not a big Superman fan, but I am something of a fan of history and I really like The Red Son TPB. I thought that it was a nice take on how the world would have been completely different if Supes wasn't waving the red, white, and blue.
I thought Red Son was decent. I wasn't a big fan of it, especially I was not happy with their handling of Batman (come on, thats simply a cheap way to go)

Most of these are guilty pleasures, not necessarily the best stories AND some of them I haven't read in near a decade.

Captain America - The Blood Stone Hunt(357-363)- part treasure hunt, part Goonies the story wasn't great but I grew to love Diamondback from this storyline. Another favorite, Crossbones, was introduced as well.
The Avengers - The Crossing Line (319-324)- Sure Fabian must have been watching The Hunt for Red October a few too many times that week but I'm a junkie for when super-teams clash. Avengers, Soviet Super Soldiers, Alpha Flight and Atlanteans all fighting over a Russian Nuclear Sub. Good times.
X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants - Inferno- In hindsight its a silly little story for the most part, especially the X-Terminators mini. (of course I had to collect that part too) It was my first X-story so it will always have a soft spot, but Sinister, the culmnation of the Madeline Pryor-Jean Grey story, de-aging Illyana, more insight into Cyclops' childhood AND the damned story didn't revolve around Wolverine. The X-Men exacting revenge on the Mauraders, Xaviers Mansion got blowed up (again)...I change my mind, Claremont did a good job of sucking me into this world.

along with many of the others listed previous, still one of my favorite single issue stories of all time is Eternal Warrior #0
One of the great things about Gruenwald's run (it was Mark Gruenwald then, right?) was the introduction of Crossbones, as well as the Diamondback relationship.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Zaphod
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

leonmallett wrote:
MProyas wrote:

One of the great things about Gruenwald's run (it was Mark Gruenwald then, right?) was the introduction of Crossbones, as well as the Diamondback relationship.
yep, Gruenwald could be a little hit and miss but Cap just seemed easier back then. Of course it felt more like Detective Comics Cap some of the time and City of Poison was another story I enjoyed. That one had a kick *SQUEE* battle with Bullseye, then Daredevil and ultimately Crossbones. Cap addicted to drugs, fighting Black Widow and Diamondback AND Cap stripped of the Super Soldier Serum (I don't know when/how he got it back come to think of it)

RIP Grueney.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

and Ron Lim covers (even if he did use the "floating heads" effect)