What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Shadowman99 »

:funnypost:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Somehow, the 'Funny Post ^' smiley just doesn't have the same effect when it doesn't sit directly beneath the post that it refers to.

I might go and further express my feelings on the matter over in the 'Just Facepalms' thread.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

grendeljd wrote:Ten issues into Immortal Hulk and I am absolutely loving this title. Thought the title of “Immortal” Hulk was going to play out as a cheap gimmick - boy, was I wrong!

Really dark tone to the series, with a really rich depth to the character that I don’t think he’s had in *years*. Dips more than it’s toes into the horror genre, which is perfectly suited to this monster character - and also feels *connected* to all the important elements from the Hulks long history. Just an absolute treat to read as a long-time fan who hasn’t read a new Hulk comic in about 6 years now.
I just finished Vol 2 and I agree with everything you wrote. Looking forward to Vol 3, and I am rooting for the Horror Hulk to continue down this path.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

tarheelmarine wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Ten issues into Immortal Hulk and I am absolutely loving this title. Thought the title of “Immortal” Hulk was going to play out as a cheap gimmick - boy, was I wrong!

Really dark tone to the series, with a really rich depth to the character that I don’t think he’s had in *years*. Dips more than it’s toes into the horror genre, which is perfectly suited to this monster character - and also feels *connected* to all the important elements from the Hulks long history. Just an absolute treat to read as a long-time fan who hasn’t read a new Hulk comic in about 6 years now.
I just finished Vol 2 and I agree with everything you wrote. Looking forward to Vol 3, and I am rooting for the Horror Hulk to continue down this path.
How many issues are in each trade - 4 issues? If thats the case, you’re in for a major treat with volume 3. So far, those issues are my top favourites of the entire run to date. Having said that, I just read #18 this week and the comic is seriously still firing on all cylinders. The things Al Ewing is doing with the concept of Banners multiple-personality disorder continue to amaze me. It continues to be the best Hulk story in decades.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:

How many issues are in each trade - 4 issues? If thats the case, you’re in for a major treat with volume 3. So far, those issues are my top favourites of the entire run to date. Having said that, I just read #18 this week and the comic is seriously still firing on all cylinders. The things Al Ewing is doing with the concept of Banners multiple-personality disorder continue to amaze me. It continues to be the best Hulk story in decades.
I have to agree. I’m pretty obsessed with it right now.

Also catching up on the 616 versions of Starbrand and Nightmask (Hickman Avengers, Infinity, and their buddy book series). The Avengers run is good this far but man is it decompressed....the Starbrand and Nightmask title has some cool classic 616 Marvel cosmic ties but was pretty standard “superheroes at school” and kind of lacking overall.

Have to get the last issue, but Dynamite’s Peter Cannon Thunderbolt series by Kieron Gillan is REALLY good. I won’t give Dynamite! my money, but I’d recommend an illegal torrent. :lol: Actually, it’s worth a read if anyone sees it in trade eventually.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

BugsySig wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:

I have to agree. I’m pretty obsessed with it right now.

Also catching up on the 616 versions of Starbrand and Nightmask (Hickman Avengers, Infinity, and their buddy book series). The Avengers run is good this far but man is it decompressed....the Starbrand and Nightmask title has some cool classic 616 Marvel cosmic ties but was pretty standard “superheroes at school” and kind of lacking overall.

Have to get the last issue, but Dynamite (sucks!)’s Peter Cannon Thunderbolt series by Kieron Gillan is REALLY good. I won’t give Dynamite (sucks!)! my money, but I’d recommend an illegal torrent. :lol: Actually, it’s worth a read if anyone sees it in trade eventually.
Well I spoke too soon. Was not a fan of the final issue of Thunderbolt. Wrapped up the villain way to easily and had a bunch of exposition that didn’t make any sense to me. Too bad because it was a good build up. As usual with Dynamite! this will be the last we see of the character for another 5+ years.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Just started reading 1970's Marvel's Conan the Barbarian. 3 issues in, loving it :D

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by ironherc »

Read Wrong Earth vol 1 and it's a very fun series. Pretty much a batman archetype from two different universes, one from a grim dark world and the other from a very silver age/adam west inspired setting end up getting switched and have to deal with completely different realities.
Can't wait for season two.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

Star Wars Knight Errant comics.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

Dark Horse Witcher comics. So far, these suck, like big time. Wasn't expecting anything mindblowing, but this is really subpar stuff, "ytf did I went for this" level of bad. Aargh.
I hate spending money on *SQUEE* that I will immediately put aside to never touch it, and this seems like it.

Oh, there's a pair of cool pin-ups by Simon Bisley and Stan Sakai. Honestly, that is the best stuff in this *SQUEE* book, so far. facepalm
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Silver Surfer: Black. First 2 issues have been good. Kinda trippy. Interesting tie in to the Maximum Carnage stuff they have going on.

Catching up on Black Hammer. Halfway through the first series now. Definitely some interesting plays on the superhero and comic book genre crosses with some rural noir.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

My current order is the biggest it's been for new monthlies in a few years now.

Usagi Yojimbo
Witchblade
Tony Stark Iron Man
Star Wars
Something is Killing Children (ordered the first issue)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Blade Runner 2019

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote:My current order is the biggest it's been for new monthlies in a few years now.

Usagi Yojimbo
Witchblade
Tony Stark Iron Man
Star Wars
Something is Killing Children (ordered the first issue)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Blade Runner 2019
I have been tempted to start reading the main Star Wars series again lately. Last issue i read was #24 - how much do you like the title currently?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Got my letter printed this week in The Hyborian Page of Conan The Barbarian #8!! First time I've had a letter printed in a Marvel comic since 1991 8-) :banana: :banana:

This title has been really good so far - I haven't been reading any of the other Marvel Conan series though. One per month is enough for me.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Got far too much going on at the moment to have time to read comics :(

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

grendeljd wrote:Got my letter printed this week in The Hyborian Page of Conan The Barbarian #8!! First time I've had a letter printed in a Marvel comic since 1991 8-) :banana: :banana:

This title has been really good so far - I haven't been reading any of the other Marvel Conan series though. One per month is enough for me.
Congrats! I need to get another printed in this series as well.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

House of X and Powers of X.

I have not read X-Men since Age of Apocalypse, but I gave this one a try and it's the first time I have been going to a comic shop on Wednesday to read the subsequent issue. If you liked Hickman on Manhattan Projects then you should try this series. The format (as in the prose background and layout of the timeline) is really engaging and he did the same thing with MP.

Excellent series. How does everyone else like it?

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

My first time on X-men in a while. I read the issues of Ultimate X-men that Kirkman wrote, some Peter David Madrox and X-Factor stuff (great stuff!) and since before the crash...that's about it.

I read the House of X #1 a couple times and liked it. I have the other two to read still. I'm not the biggest Hickman fan (loved east of west), but I think I'm in for the 12 issues. This looks really interesting from the first issue.
ASM Crossover Home

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

About 4-5 years ago I moved almost exclusively to collected editions. I’ve mostly read Marvel Silver Age since then, but I also found a company that collects some pretty good public domain stuff and I’ve been buying and reading that as well.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

400yrs wrote:My first time on X-men in a while. I read the issues of Ultimate X-men that Kirkman wrote, some Peter David Madrox and X-Factor stuff (great stuff!) and since before the crash...that's about it.

I read the House of X #1 a couple times and liked it. I have the other two to read still. I'm not the biggest Hickman fan (loved east of west), but I think I'm in for the 12 issues. This looks really interesting from the first issue.
i'm hooked!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Really enjoying the Hickman X-men as well. Also, I just learned how to read Krakoan.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

tarheelmarine wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Got my letter printed this week in The Hyborian Page of Conan The Barbarian #8!! First time I've had a letter printed in a Marvel comic since 1991 8-) :banana: :banana:

Congrats! I need to get another printed in this series as well.
:high-five: Awesome, man! What issue did you get printed in?

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:Outside Valiant Comics here is what I am Reading:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Hopeless Savages GNs

Attack on Titan manga

Various Marvel Star Wars titles
Is Miles Morales related to Rags Morales? Doubtful but I'm curious
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

I had some credit card space available with no need to pay for over a month and an Amazon offer for one month trial free shipping...so I binge ordered 9 TPBs...a few days ago. They started to arrive yesterday. I can't possibly find the time to read all that in short order, but I think I'm good for maybe 8 months or more...I work too much to be a heavy reader at the moment

3 volumes XO
and
6 volumes Dejah Thoris

I think...I need to check on that

It irks me to support Amazon over my local comics store, but I checked and they don't carry any of these and if they ordered I'd pay more
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

lorddunlow wrote:Really enjoying the Hickman X-men as well. Also, I just learned how to read Krakoan.
Looking forward to Powers of X #3 today!