What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by lorddunlow »

Just finished Chew #15 - so much fun. Can't wait to read the rest. Are there hardcover collections?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:Just finished Chew #15 - so much fun. Can't wait to read the rest. Are there hardcover collections?
yeah bro. The Omnivore editions. 10 issues per HC there's 3 volumes so far.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Just finished Chew #15 - so much fun. Can't wait to read the rest. Are there hardcover collections?
I'll be getting those for sure. Wonder if they'll do HC for Revival? I like that book more with each issue.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
I'll be getting those for sure. Wonder if they'll do HC for Revival? I like that book more with each issue.
me too i'm really digging Revival
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Just read Chew #18. Poyo is soooooo awesome.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Elveen wrote:Finally done with Conan.

I'm reading Swamp Thing New 52. It's good and bad.
Yep. The whole Rotworld thing kind of messed up both Swamp Thing and Animal Man. There's some really great stuff in both, but really dragged out stuff in both as well.
ASM Crossover Home

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:Just read Chew #18. Poyo is soooooo awesome.
Hell yes!

PSN- gorakthebunny

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Hell yes!

+1 and in vol 3 also included is the secret agent Poyo one shot for more Poyo *SQUEE* kicking!
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

read Green Lantern/Superman Legend of the Green Flame last night. very enjoyable read written by Neil Gaiman and has some really sweet Mike Allred art.

PSN- gorakthebunny

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

The Underwater Welder from Jeff Lemire. It was good and worth the read, but not so good that I'd want to re-read it. Essex County Trilogy is his best so far.
ASM Crossover Home

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote:Finally done with Conan.

I'm reading Swamp Thing New 52. It's good and bad.
Yep. The whole Rotworld thing kind of messed up both Swamp Thing and Animal Man. There's some really great stuff in both, but really dragged out stuff in both as well.
Agreed. I dropped both books before the Rotworld crossover finished up. It's a shame too, they were both excellent titles initially.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Did anyone here follow Pat Zircher over to Suicide Squad with #20? I did - despite trying very hard not to buy anymore DC books. It was really well written, and Patch knocked it out of the park.

>sigh<

I'm still a little miffed he isn't doing Shadowman. :(
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

grendeljd wrote:Did anyone here follow Pat Zircher over to Suicide Squad with #20? I did - despite trying very hard not to buy anymore DC books. It was really well written, and Patch knocked it out of the park.

>sigh<

I'm still a little miffed he isn't doing Shadowman. :(
i've been meaning to check that out bc I really dig Patch's style. I too was hoping he'd stay on Shadowman at least for a bit longer but I guess sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

PSN- gorakthebunny

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

400yrs wrote:The Underwater Welder from Jeff Lemire. It was good and worth the read, but not so good that I'd want to re-read it. Essex County Trilogy is his best so far.
I liked Lost Dogs too that was a cool little book

PSN- gorakthebunny

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

picked up manhattan projects TPB 1 and single floppies 7-11...sweet reads.

one of my sons decided to read the TPB and is enjoying it as well...since it contains some of the stuff they've been talking about in his history class at school. Got to remind him the comic is fiction at some point... :P
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

myron wrote:picked up manhattan projects TPB 1 and single floppies 7-11...sweet reads.

one of my sons decided to read the TPB and is enjoying it as well...since it contains some of the stuff they've been talking about in his history class at school. Got to remind him the comic is fiction at some point... :P
Or is it? :hm:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Almost through the recent Transformers: Spotlight series as and they're pretty interesting reads Megatron and Thundercracker are the best IMHO and Trailcutter and Hoist are pretty damn good. Bumblebee and Orion Pax are the weakest of this batch they're good but nothing special. The subplot of Metroplex and hunt for the Space Bridge technology feels a little forced but still it's a fun read.

If you want smart, funny, and thought provoking and if you think that the Transformers are unrelatable you should check out these books as well as More Than Meets The Eye and Robots In Disguise and see how relatable these characters really are.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm reading the 2nd Cinderella (from Fables) Mini.

It's really fun. The best compliment is ..... I will not be adding to the for sale pile.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So I made it halfway through Chew #22 or 23 before my son woke up last night and climbed in bed with us, cutting off any more reading time last night. (I was hoping to get through that arc at least.) This book is so good. I can see why it won Eisner awards. It's just a very cleverly written, whimsically/grotesquely (what a weird combo, but it works) drawn, fun read. It is unique with no comparable book, I can think of.

I plan on getting caught up to the current book this week.

I wish the issues weren't so expensive. This would be a book I would love to have in a first print full run.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote:So I made it halfway through Chew #22 or 23 before my son woke up last night and climbed in bed with us, cutting off any more reading time last night. (I was hoping to get through that arc at least.) This book is so good. I can see why it won Eisner awards. It's just a very cleverly written, whimsically/grotesquely (what a weird combo, but it works) drawn, fun read. It is unique with no comparable book, I can think of.

I wish the issues weren't so expensive. This would be a book I would love to have in a first print full run.
I agree with everything you said. the mix of humor and drama and seriousness is outstanding. I can't believe John put a end issue on it. He's told me many times that he already knows the end, issue #60.

As for the price of the earlier issues. The only ones that are real expensive are #1 and #2. #3 and #8 are $30ish. I'll never forget my first SDCC, I met Rob and John and Rob agreed to do a sketch for me. They offered me a signed Chew #1 1st print. I passed. they offered it to me for $30!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Elveen wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:So I made it halfway through Chew #22 or 23 before my son woke up last night and climbed in bed with us, cutting off any more reading time last night. (I was hoping to get through that arc at least.) This book is so good. I can see why it won Eisner awards. It's just a very cleverly written, whimsically/grotesquely (what a weird combo, but it works) drawn, fun read. It is unique with no comparable book, I can think of.

I agree with everything you said. the mix of humor and drama and seriousness is outstanding. I can't believe John put a end issue on it. He's told me many times that he already knows the end, issue #60.

As for the price of the earlier issues. The only ones that are real expensive are #1 and #2. #3 and #8 are $30ish. I'll never forget my first SDCC, I met Rob and John and Rob agreed to do a sketch for me. They offered me a signed Chew #1 1st print. I passed. they offered it to me for $30!
They would still be more than I am willing to pay for comic books. I only starting getting the book on my pull at my LCS at #27 or #28 (not sure). So that's a lot of back issues. Maybe if the prices drop a little. This, Manhattan Projects, and Revival are so far the only books I feel compelled to own in first print full runs. I'm still not sure whether to grab Revival or hold out for a price dip on #1.

I'm actually glad there is a final issue planned. It means he has thought the entire story out from beginning to end. The best stories (comics, book series, movies, TV, etc.) are always best when there is a finite end. Otherwise you end up with a tired storyline at some point that drags the whole book/story down. (see my comments on Sliders in another thread).

Chew would make an awesome TV show. Too bad it seems that fell through. Although, maybe prices will fall if it never gets made.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote:
Elveen wrote:

They would still be more than I am willing to pay for comic books. I only starting getting the book on my pull at my LCS at #27 or #28 (not sure). So that's a lot of back issues. Maybe if the prices drop a little. This, Manhattan Projects, and Revival are so far the only books I feel compelled to own in first print full runs. I'm still not sure whether to grab Revival or hold out for a price dip on #1.

I'm actually glad there is a final issue planned. It means he has thought the entire story out from beginning to end. The best stories (comics, book series, movies, TV, etc.) are always best when there is a finite end. Otherwise you end up with a tired storyline at some point that drags the whole book/story down. (see my comments on Sliders in another thread).

Chew would make an awesome TV show. Too bad it seems that fell through. Although, maybe prices will fall if it never gets made.
I have sold Chew books at about every comic con I've set up at. I've never had a Chew #1 1st print. :!:

I'm pretty sure that Chew will make it as another type of medium. I think they have plans for a cartoon in Rob's style.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

nscc wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Hell yes!

+1 and in vol 3 also included is the secret agent Poyo one shot for more Poyo *SQUEE* kicking!
Indeed. This book is probably, month in and month out, the most entertaining title I pick up, and that's 15-20 books a month.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I just started reading the trades and I love it. So much fun and very different (like Saga and MP) which I always enjoy. On the second trade now and have the third ready to go.

Is Revival really good? I've had my doubts, but it keeps getting more and more pub, so that might be next on the list. Image really does kick *SQUEE* right now.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:

I just started reading the trades and I love it. So much fun and very different (like Saga and MP) which I always enjoy. On the second trade now and have the third ready to go.

Is Revival really good? I've had my doubts, but it keeps getting more and more pub, so that might be next on the list. Image really does kick *SQUEE* right now.
I read the first Revival trade, and thought it was good, but not great. I kept up with the individual issues and starting at #6 or 7 it really got me hooked. After the most recent issue, it's a keeper. It's just really slow to start. If the writing stays at the level it's at currently it will have some staying power. The only negative for it, is that part of the draw for me is the mystery. At some point, the mystery will have to be revealed and either replaced by a new mystery or the book will have to have a different focus.