What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by ian_house »

Lightning Strike wrote:
400yrs wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:I am about to re-read Marvels. It's been a long time. I still hold this as the finest series I've read from Marvel. I also still hold it as my favorite work from Busiek-I've not read much Astro City-and the place where I think Alex Ross best exhibited a gift for dramatic storytelling, rather than just static attempts at iconography. Yes, I just gave a mini-diss to Kingdom Come.
Marvels is overrated. I'm interested to see if you still think as highly of it after a re-read. Early Astro City blows it away.
Agreed. I think KC blows it away too
I did much prefer Kingdom Come but I think Marvels is an excellent piece of work. It may be a little overrated but so is Watchmen, Nirvana, The Beatles etc.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Scarlet Spider #1.

The tagline is "All the power None of the responsibility". I wanted NOT to like this, but I think I have another book that I'll at least give a few issues to try it out. This read like a movie and the premise was exactly like the tagline. The tone of the book is along the lines of what I hoped Venom would be, but was not. It focuses on the character moreso than punching / kicking some baddie.
ASM Crossover Home

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

400yrs wrote:Scarlet Spider #1.

The tagline is "All the power None of the responsibility". I wanted NOT to like this, but I think I have another book that I'll at least give a few issues to try it out. This read like a movie and the premise was exactly like the tagline. The tone of the book is along the lines of what I hoped Venom would be, but was not. It focuses on the character moreso than punching / kicking some baddie.

I saw that the first two issues received good reviews

Lightning Strike

Read the entire Fables tpb #16 (Super Team #101-107) last night. I was so looking forward to this. Mark Buckingham'a artwork is, as always, amazing. The story however, wasn't as up to par as it usually is. I thought the whole "super hero" thing was silly. And the ending was a little anti-climatic. I thought there would be this huge battle with Mr. Dark and instead we get Bigby's dad come swooping in at the last moment snatching him up and dragging him into the box, which by the way, could still be opened at some time in the future.

The best part of the whole thing was the interaction between Bigby and his dad. It was short, but had a great impact on their relationship. Bigby now sees his dad in a whole new light.

I have a feeling that Ghepeto is going to stir things up again and make things difficult for the fables. He should never have been allowed back into fabletown with absolute freedom. He's too sneaky.

And again, I hate the fact that Boy Blue hasn't returned yet. I know he's going to at some point, so please bring him back sooner rather than later Mr. Willingham!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Lightning Strike wrote:Read the entire Fables tpb #16 (Super Team #101-107) last night. I was so looking forward to this. Mark Buckingham'a artwork is, as always, amazing. The story however, wasn't as up to par as it usually is. I thought the whole "super hero" thing was silly. And the ending was a little anti-climatic. I thought there would be this huge battle with Mr. Dark and instead we get Bigby's dad come swooping in at the last moment snatching him up and dragging him into the box, which by the way, could still be opened at some time in the future.

The best part of the whole thing was the interaction between Bigby and his dad. It was short, but had a great impact on their relationship. Bigby now sees his dad in a whole new light.

I have a feeling that Ghepeto is going to stir things up again and make things difficult for the fables. He should never have been allowed back into fabletown with absolute freedom. He's too sneaky.

And again, I hate the fact that Boy Blue hasn't returned yet. I know he's going to at some point, so please bring him back sooner rather than later Mr. Willingham!
I would vote for Gepetto for mayor of Fabletown. I may yet write in Gepetto for mayor of my town.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote:
caxiotis wrote:HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

Just read invincible 88 and loved it. Once again greatness.
same. Every issue is a mega shock.
Well now the teaser they ran a while ago makes sense.
ASM Crossover Home

Lightning Strike

Chiclo wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:Read the entire Fables tpb #16 (Super Team #101-107) last night. I was so looking forward to this. Mark Buckingham'a artwork is, as always, amazing. The story however, wasn't as up to par as it usually is. I thought the whole "super hero" thing was silly. And the ending was a little anti-climatic. I thought there would be this huge battle with Mr. Dark and instead we get Bigby's dad come swooping in at the last moment snatching him up and dragging him into the box, which by the way, could still be opened at some time in the future.

I would vote for Gepetto for mayor of Fabletown. I may yet write in Gepetto for mayor of my town.
:lol:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I just finished re-reading the 1st 2 umbrella Academy TPBs.

Good stuff Marvin.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Trying to re-read Blackest Night. Uggggggggggggg. Some is good but most is just horse poo.

I might put this stuff up on ebay. :!:

Lightning Strike

Elveen wrote:I just finished re-reading the 1st 2 umbrella Academy TPBs.

Good stuff Marvin.
LOVE Umbrella Academy, although the first one was better than the second. :thumb:

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

My follow-up to Nova #1-25 is now:

New Warriors #1-75
Night Thrasher: Four Control #1-4
Night Thraser ongoing
Nova vol. II ongoing
Justice #1-4

After that, I'll go through Nova vol. III and New Warriors vol. II, III & IV.

So far, I've gotten through #1-30. Fabian Nicieza has been great so far! (But, then, I should expect good things - his Thunderbolts issues were a lot of fun, too)

Lightning Strike

Doorman wrote:My follow-up to Nova #1-25 is now:

New Warriors #1-75
Night Thrasher: Four Control #1-4
Night Thraser ongoing
Nova vol. II ongoing
Justice #1-4

After that, I'll go through Nova vol. III and New Warriors vol. II, III & IV.

So far, I've gotten through #1-30. Fabian Nicieza has been great so far! (But, then, I should expect good things - his Thunderbolts issues were a lot of fun, too)
T-Bolts rocked!!

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

yes. yes, they did! well - actually, "do". I'm still enjoying Thunderbolts

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Jersen »

I am approaching completion of my complete re-read of the Morrison Batman run. I am now on the last stretch, reading Batman, Inc., of which I am now through the first 2 issues. As I was reading through the middle act of this run, I believe I have devised a nice, neat way to read through the combined mish-mash of Batman & Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne, and Batman 700-702. Some may disagree with this issue placement, but this makes sense to me in terms of both pacing and issue placement within the context of the stories transpiring simultaneously:

Everything is pretty straightforward on Batman up through RIP. My only exception is that I left out the 2 issues that are part of the Return of Ra's al Ghul story.
Batman 676-681 (RIP)
Batman 701-702 (RIP: The Missing Chapter)
Return of Bruce Wayne 1
Batman & Robin 1-3
RoBW 2
B&R 4-6
RoBW 3
B&R 7-9
Batman 700
RoBW4
B&R 10-12
RoBW 5
B&R 13-15
RoBW 6
B&R 16

From there of course it goes to the Batman: The Return 1-shot and Batman, Inc. 1-8 and Leviathan Strikes 1-shot. I originally tried to go along with what I had read elsewhere and use the publication dates to determine where I insert the RoBW issues between issues of B&R, but found that story events didn't match up well and the pacing of the overall story suffered. However, by placing the the RoBW issues before the beginning of each 3-issue arc of B&R, the pacing was greatly improved and there were no inconsistencies of Dick and Damian searching for Bruce in RoBW while they were simultaneously caught in a deathtrap in B&R. If anyone's interested, compare my arrangement to those posted elsewhere and see what you think. Sorry for the epic post, I'm just really enjoying reading this run all put together and am getting so much more out of it than the first time around.

Lightning Strike

Doorman wrote:yes. yes, they did! well - actually, "do". I'm still enjoying Thunderbolts
Yep! I started with the T-Bolts from day one though, with the big reveal in issue#1, all the way through his run with Bagley and Zircher up until #75. I was really upset when Marvel decided to go another entirely route with #76, but tried it anyway and hated it. I tried the book again when Osborn took over the team and there were a few good issues, but not really my cup of tea. But when Parker and Walker came onto the book, I was amazed at how great it was and I'm hooked completely. One of Marvel's best books right now. :thumb:

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

Just finished up Old man logan, pretty sweet, need a sequal. Emma is still Hawt.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

superman-prime wrote:Just finished up Old man logan, pretty sweet, need a sequal. Emma is still Hawt.
I have not yet read Old Man Logan. I have seen what it looks like and the art, combined with the raves I've heard about the story, intrigue me, but still...I have yet to sit down and read an entire XMEN-related series.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Spider Island: Cloak and Dagger #1 - by Nick Spencer and Emma Rios. This was decent. I really like Rios' style for darker stuff like this. She would probably be great on a Shang Chi, Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, Thor type of book.

Brightest Day Flash #1 - by Johns and Manupal. The story is fine. The art...... boy did Johns and DC editorial hold back Manupal in this. His work in the new Flash series is off the charts and employs some inventive story telling pages. This brightest day book is just static standard pages. If the new Flash book was like this, I likely wouldn't be reading it. Reading this makes me appreciate what Manupal is currently doing even more.
ASM Crossover Home

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

i just bought A Tale Of Sand.

i'm looking forward to reading it.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:Spider Island: Cloak and Dagger #1 - by Nick Spencer and Emma Rios. This was decent. I really like Rios' style for darker stuff like this. She would probably be great on a Shang Chi, Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, Thor type of book.

Brightest Day Flash #1 - by Johns and Manupal. The story is fine. The art...... boy did Johns and DC editorial hold back Manupal in this. His work in the new Flash series is off the charts and employs some inventive story telling pages. This brightest day book is just static standard pages. If the new Flash book was like this, I likely wouldn't be reading it. Reading this makes me appreciate what Manupal is currently doing even more.
Isn't that the issue with the helicopter? One of the best sequences I've ever seen that...

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote: Isn't that the issue with the helicopter? One of the best sequences I've ever seen that...
Flash Brightest Day 1? Nah. There's a pretty cool sequence where a car flies off the interstate after a chase and Flash takes it apart in the air before it can smash construction workers and a kid.

Seriously though, if you haven't checked out the new series, you should for the art alone. As great as Capullo, Chiang, Paquette, etc are, this stuff in the Flash is the best.
ASM Crossover Home

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote: Isn't that the issue with the helicopter? One of the best sequences I've ever seen that...
Flash Brightest Day 1? Nah. There's a pretty cool sequence where a car flies off the interstate after a chase and Flash takes it apart in the air before it can smash construction workers and a kid.

Seriously though, if you haven't checked out the new series, you should for the art alone. As great as Capullo, Chiang, Paquette, etc are, this stuff in the Flash is the best.
Ahh I remember, it was that series, just later on.

Loving the art in the new series but not so sure on the story. Theres some things that aren't quite sitting right with me at the mo, I'm real worried about the whole 'destroy the speedforce' concept, sounds like Bilsons run (aaaaaarrgggggghhh) and that Cpt Cold is now going to be 'badass' having ice as powers. The rogues were always great because they were a little bit rubbish, but they had a code and it worked for them, I'm worried they are just going to turn into young punks with powers.

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

Finished my re-reading of the Morrison Batman epic as it stands to date. Definitely interested to see where it goes from here, now that the true identity of Leviathan has been revealed. Also finally finished reading Supergods as well (I was going through it at a very leisurely pace, sometimes I would go a week without reading a chapter), and found it very enjoyable as well, and a very nice look into Grant Morrison's thought processes behind some of his work as well commentary on the cultural context of different story and character trends through the years.

I've got 3 or 4 months of new issues to catch up on and some other as-yet-unread creative runs or arcs to read. I think I'm going to give Final Crisis a re-read, and I'm really thinking about re-reading Greg Rucka's Detective Comics run feature Batwoman with the Question back-up feature. Several other things I've obtained but haven't read yet, such as the pre-Morrison run of Doom Patrol and the post-Morrison run of Animal Man, New Warriors, and several others.

Lightning Strike

Jersen wrote:I think I'm going to give Final Crisis a re-read
:thumb:

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Jersen wrote:I think I'm going to give Final Crisis a re-read
:thumb:
:o Well there goes your sanity for a while
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.