What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: greg, Daniel Jackson

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by ShadowTuga »

tarheelmarine wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:05:57 am
I just read the Absolute Edition of All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder. The introduction explained that this story is in the same bat-verse as Dark Knight, Dark Knight Returns, etc. Knowing that, I really enjoyed the series. I enjoyed the Batman with an edge, and art (of course) was fantastic. I was disappointed to know that the sequel was never published (and likely never will be).
That is one beautiful looking comic. Its story is completely bonkers and wrong on so many levels that it comes out clean on the other side, Dufresne style. :lol: But there's a lot of stuff I just have to shake my head... i wouldn't like it as much if it weren't for Jim Lee's work, that's for sure.

If you want more of that Millerverse there's the 9 issue "Dark Knight III: The Master Race" series (I think its one of those underated Batman comics already), and both "The Last Crusade" and "The Golden Child" one-shots- the former is the story of how Jason met his end in this universe, and the latter I still have to receive it (ordered it a few weeks ago) so I can't speak to its quality. It has some amazing art by Grampa, from what I could see.

DK III is definitely a way better story than ASB&R, I really reccomend it to anyone who likes Miller's brand of Batman.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:56:04 pm
tarheelmarine wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:05:57 am
I just read the Absolute Edition of All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder. The introduction explained that this story is in the same bat-verse as Dark Knight, Dark Knight Returns, etc. Knowing that, I really enjoyed the series. I enjoyed the Batman with an edge, and art (of course) was fantastic. I was disappointed to know that the sequel was never published (and likely never will be).
That is one beautiful looking comic. Its story is completely bonkers and wrong on so many levels that it comes out clean on the other side, Dufresne style. :lol: But there's a lot of stuff I just have to shake my head... i wouldn't like it as much if it weren't for Jim Lee's work, that's for sure.

If you want more of that Millerverse there's the 9 issue "Dark Knight III: The Master Race" series (I think its one of those underated Batman comics already), and both "The Last Crusade" and "The Golden Child" one-shots- the former is the story of how Jason met his end in this universe, and the latter I still have to receive it (ordered it a few weeks ago) so I can't speak to its quality. It has some amazing art by Grampa, from what I could see.

DK III is definitely a way better story than ASB&R, I really reccomend it to anyone who likes Miller's brand of Batman.
I am going to have to reread DKIII. I didn't care for it a few years, but with the context of ASBR and perhaps rereading DK and DK Returns it might shift my opinion. Thanks for the recommendation on Last Crusade and Golden Child.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:51:03 am
tarheelmarine wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40:07 am
grendeljd wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:40:16 pm
I am still enjoying Immortal Hulk immensely - I discovered that it was truly the only comic that I really missed while the industry hit the pause button for covid19. There have been two issues of it out already since publication resumed, and They have been fantastic, even without the regular art team on either issue to date.

I was also very pleasantly surprised to discover that I got a letter printed in issue #35!!

Nothing beats that thrill as a life-long comic nerd. Its not easy to get into a Marvel comic, even these days with less people on average writing in. Not only that, but The Hulk is an all-time top favourite character/comic of mine, so it feels like quite a lucky achievement to be published in it! Nerd-bucket-list item - checkmarked!! This was my third letter in a Marvel comic, in roughly 30 years of writing in at various times.
Congrats on the letter. I have read Immortal Hulk thru the trades and did not realize they published a letter column. Very cool!
Congrats, too! Having letters printed is awesome. I had a letter printed in The Bunker #2 by Joshua Hale Fialkov. It was the very first one. Unfortunately it was only in the early digital version and there were different letters in the print version later on. Maybe I should have sent the same letter in again but I didn't. Damn myself!!I
Thanks guys! :high-five: Al Ewing responds personally to all the letters in Immortal Hulk, so it was especially thrilling to me!

SunLight - congrats one your letter too! That’s pretty strange that there were two different letter columns made for print & digital versions... I’ve never heard of that happening before.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

grendeljd wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:43:16 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:51:03 am
tarheelmarine wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40:07 am
grendeljd wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:40:16 pm
I am still enjoying Immortal Hulk immensely - I discovered that it was truly the only comic that I really missed while the industry hit the pause button for covid19. There have been two issues of it out already since publication resumed, and They have been fantastic, even without the regular art team on either issue to date.

I was also very pleasantly surprised to discover that I got a letter printed in issue #35!!

Nothing beats that thrill as a life-long comic nerd. Its not easy to get into a Marvel comic, even these days with less people on average writing in. Not only that, but The Hulk is an all-time top favourite character/comic of mine, so it feels like quite a lucky achievement to be published in it! Nerd-bucket-list item - checkmarked!! This was my third letter in a Marvel comic, in roughly 30 years of writing in at various times.
Congrats on the letter. I have read Immortal Hulk thru the trades and did not realize they published a letter column. Very cool!
Congrats, too! Having letters printed is awesome. I had a letter printed in The Bunker #2 by Joshua Hale Fialkov. It was the very first one. Unfortunately it was only in the early digital version and there were different letters in the print version later on. Maybe I should have sent the same letter in again but I didn't. Damn myself!!I
Thanks guys! :high-five: Al Ewing responds personally to all the letters in Immortal Hulk, so it was especially thrilling to me!

SunLight - congrats one your letter too! That’s pretty strange that there were two different letter columns made for print & digital versions... I’ve never heard of that happening before.
Thank you, too.

They weren't released at the same time! The first five digital chapters came out in 2013 (or '12). A year later Fialkov got a deal with ONI Press to collect all five chapters in one double-sized issue and continue the story. The digital chapters were in widescreen format and mostly b/w. For the print version the panel layout was redesigned and also recolored by artist Joe Infurnari. Needless to say, I recommend reading The Bunker!!!