What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by geocarr »

DC's Trinity of Sin TPB featuring the Phantom Stranger, The Question, and Pandora and written by JM DeMatteis. I think the characterization changes that these characters have received are just about the best thing to come out of the New 52. I really didn't care for the villains they were fighting but I loved how the writer characterized each of the trinity and their relationships with each other and their individual psychological torments, and would have enjoyed more back story on their shared animosity of each other.
Recommended for fans of these characters but not for readers who aren't already familiar with the characters.
***Support your local farmers!***

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

The private files of the shadow, collects issues #1-4 and 6 of Dennis O' Neils 70's Shadow run on DC. I've spent a good little time trying to track down comics based on the old pulp heroes. Finally found a good collection. This is definitely my preferred interpretation of the character. Newer writers always try to amp it up too much on the violence and the like.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Recently finished off reading my set of 38 colour Akira graphic novels. Wow. It's a big departure from the film, but very entertaining regardless. An absolutely stunning volume of high-level artwork throughout... I've been pouring over many of the issues repeatedly. I don't want to pack them away in a box again!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I bought the Top Cow Humble Bundle and it only had Witchblade starting with the Ron Marz run at #80, so I got the first run by Dave Wohl and started a chronological run of the shared Top Cow Universe starting with Witchblade #1. I'm through the first trade and I'm hooked. Sad I didn't read this as it came out. Pretty sure it would have kept me in comics through the crash. Diamonds in the rough, for sure.

I also started reading Switch - Witchblade reboot with a new teenage bearer of the witchblade written and drawn by Stjepan Sejic. It is right up my alley.

I've realized my favorite stories in any medium are those with badass young female protagonists (Divergent series, Hunger Games, Hanna, Umbral, new Ms. Marvel, etc.)
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Southern *SQUEE* tpb vol 1 and 2. Good stuff.

I started on Terry Moore's Echo and so far, I'm liking it.
ASM Crossover Home

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

Picked up first issue of The Steam Man. very good!

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Finished off what would be book 6 in Titanbooks Assassins Creed series. They've published hardback $10 books for a while and they're okay if your in to the games lore outside of that there are the stronger AC comics that Ubi published themselves. $10 bucks sounds great, as we know through Valiants efforts, but when there ain't much to actually back it up with it's bad. More when I remember they did the first 3 books in one book for like $25 bucks still not that much better of a deal story wise but amount wise I feel it works out better.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Sunstone vol. 2
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

Damage Control complete collection.

I highly recommend it.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

Steam Wars Bounty Hunters #1
Steam Wars First Empire #1
Simpsons Winter Wing Ding #10
Aliens: Colonial Marines #1-10
Futurama #77
Back To The Future #1-2
Indiana Jones: Further Adventers Omnibus #1

:popcorn: :ignore:

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

All Valiant, pois claro
East of West (my favourite comic for the last year and 1/2)
Batman (still a kick a** comic with the best Bat-artwork since Frank Miller's and Mazzuchelli's works. I will miss Greg Cappulo a LOT)
DKIII The Master Race (LOVE IT, only one issue yet but this looks VERY promising)
Star Wars (fun, but the crossover thing might put this book on the cancel list)
Darth Vader (idem, just not as fun now. Really liked the first arc.)
Ragnarok(cool stuff, I love fantasy but the odd schedule makes it a bit more difficult to follow. Wondering if I should just read the trades, but they might take a long time to arrive. :hm: )

I've stopped reading TWD, out of lack of interest for now. Still trade-waiting TMNT and collecting the TPB's of the fantastic "The Batman Adventures".
:thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Transformers: Holiday Special 2015, Harley Quinn: The Road Trip Special #1, Harley's Little Black Book #1, and Harley Quinn/Power Girl #1-6 all pretty good.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

400yrs wrote:Southern *SQUEE* tpb vol 1 and 2. Good stuff.

I started on Terry Moore's Echo and so far, I'm liking it.
I totally agree with you 400yrs, "Southern *SQUEE*" is an excellent read. :thumb: I just finished the first trade and I am anxious to read volumes 2 and 3.

Mkb28

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:All Valiant, pois claro
Naturally :wink:
ShadowTuga wrote:East of West (my favourite comic for the last year and 1/2)
Still really like this book, but it's fallen a few pegs for me over this past year. Lazarus is my top favourite comic overall right now, with no new Josh Dysart coming out of Valiant.
ShadowTuga wrote:Star Wars (fun, but the crossover thing might put this book on the cancel list)
Darth Vader (idem, just not as fun now. Really liked the first arc.
I'm still enjoying both of these Star Wars comics. Are you referring to the Vader Down crossover? I thought it was pretty good, and nice that they didn't add anything to buy other than the first issue as a stand alone part.

Darth Vader has been surprisingly good throughout, in my opinion. It's ending at #25, so probably worth sticking with to the end, dude.
ShadowTuga wrote:I've stopped reading TWD, out of lack of interest for now.
I still dig it - been some good stories developing with the whisperers and Negan. It's far better writing than the tv show has had lately.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Vader ending at 25, huh? It would be definitely cool to have a full Gillen run on the character, I have up until 14 or so. :hm:

As for TWD,issue 100 was the "I'm done with caring for these characters"- it's too much despair and pain in this world, and the biggest monsters are apparently human. It doesn't take me away from the *SQUEE* we live in, it is a comic where reality is a big thing (and I'm being 100% serious here), and my geekdom these days is more about masked dudes/ladies beating the crap out of a**holes with colorful names and costumes. :D I like my drama and tension in the funnybooks like everyone else, but TWD became too much of a bleak place for my tastes at this age, if this makes sense. :)

On topic, I also have been reading a s***load of translated DC comics. A publisher (Levoir) is putting out classic storylines from this entire universe since 2013, but I did not get into it due to some high horse attitude from my part towards translated comics. But, aside the completely different names of some characters, the translations are spot on "current" portuguese (youths talk like youths, etc) and the quality/price relation is excellent. Good hardcover books with shiny pages for under 9 euros is a grab for some of these tales- I bought stuff like "The Great Darkness Saga", "Flash: Rebirth" or Byrne's "Man of Steel" first arc. This is stuff I would not give 15 or 20 dollars/euros for a paperback, since Batman already takes a lot of my budget in that regard (there is always at least one Bat-trade I'm awaiting to arrive monthly, from the late 80's/early 90's to today and I also go for back issues of both 'Tec and Batman- trying to complete a full Alan Grant run on 'Tec right now, for example), but at this price, I went deep.
I am currently trying to complete all of the collections (45 HC), and minus one or two books, the selection is top.
Discussing these books with my son is the best thing. He's really into the Titans, Harley, of course, and the Flash/Lantern buddy stories. But Batman is not even on his top 5 characters. :cry:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ShadowTuga wrote:Vader ending at 25, huh? It would be definitely cool to have a full Gillen run on the character, I have up until 14 or so. :hm:

As for TWD,issue 100 was the "I'm done with caring for these characters"- it's too much despair and pain in this world, and the biggest monsters are apparently human. It doesn't take me away from the *SQUEE* we live in, it is a comic where reality is a big thing (and I'm being 100% serious here), and my geekdom these days is more about masked dudes/ladies beating the crap out of a**holes with colorful names and costumes. :D I like my drama and tension in the funnybooks like everyone else, but TWD became too much of a bleak place for my tastes at this age, if this makes sense. :)

On topic, I also have been reading a s***load of translated DC comics. A publisher (Levoir) is putting out classic storylines from this entire universe since 2013, but I did not get into it due to some high horse attitude from my part towards translated comics. But, aside the completely different names of some characters, the translations are spot on "current" portuguese (youths talk like youths, etc) and the quality/price relation is excellent. Good hardcover books with shiny pages for under 9 euros is a grab for some of these tales- I bought stuff like "The Great Darkness Saga", "Flash: Rebirth" or Byrne's "Man of Steel" first arc. This is stuff I would not give 15 or 20 dollars/euros for a paperback, since Batman already takes a lot of my budget in that regard (there is always at least one Bat-trade I'm awaiting to arrive monthly, from the late 80's/early 90's to today and I also go for back issues of both 'Tec and Batman- trying to complete a full Alan Grant run on 'Tec right now, for example), but at this price, I went deep.
I am currently trying to complete all of the collections (45 HC), and minus one or two books, the selection is top.
Discussing these books with my son is the best thing. He's really into the Titans, Harley, of course, and the Flash/Lantern buddy stories. But Batman is not even on his top 5 characters. :cry:
Batman is a comic book character I can take in small doses the longest run on solo ongoing series with this character I have is about 18 issues (it was Hush and the arc after it), honestly I think Batman's supporting, spin-off characters, and the villains are far more interesting characters than Batman is. I enjoy the well made Batman live action movies, animated TV shows and movies, video games, and etc. I can even enjoy the campy Batman show and movies when I'm in the mood. But as a comic book character he's never clicked for me. Some of it might be that I enjoy the secret identity "soap opera" drama stuff more than a rich guy beating the snot of punks every night while constantly brooding about his dead parents and how "tough" his life is.

I'm probably going to have drop Detective Comics in the near future, mostly it's the damn bi-weekly schedule of it along with Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, and other DC books is too much for me to keep up with them I've already had to cancel Batgirl & The Birds of Prey because of it. I would like to drop it at #950 but I don't know if I can keep up with it till then.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Geoff Johns' take on Hawkman, the trade that goes by the name of "Allies and Enemies" I think ( I read the portuguese version).
I have known this character for decades, always loved his outfit and that freakin mace; but I spent most of my life not knowing *SQUEE* about Carter/Katar's origins. When I got into the DCAU I was/am a HUGE Hawkgirl fan, first and foremost, of course. And from then, it was all about Thanagar, I could not care less about the GA version of the character.
Until last night. I heartily recommend this book to GJ's fans or Hawkman's curious. It's fantastic and it made me really appreciate this character, Truly for the first time. That double page with Morales's Carter in space, thinking about how free he is on Earth, given he has wings and how that clashes with the fact that he is a prisioner in the grand scheme of things (reincarnation cycle), broke me. Beautiful writing. And Kendra kicks so much a** it's crazy. I love (even more) this character.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Ravening #1-3 from Boundless, more reprints than new story and art.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
What comics are you reading now?

Post by caxiotis »

BPRD Hell on Earth is sucking me in now that there is only two issues left in the series (5/5) Laurence Campbell's art is amazing

The Discipline TPB 1 (1/5) - another piece of *SQUEE* by Milligan. I don't even know why I try to read his stuff anymore. Stopped reading halfway through

Cage! #1 (3/5) - really fun issue, loved the art and will keep reading

Tank Girl Gold #1 (?/5) - first tank girl read.......not to sure what to think yet. Will keep reading for now

Kill or Be Killed #1-3 (3/5)- wasn't sure about the first issue, but now I like it. If you like Brubaker/Phillips this is up your alley, but not their best

Paper GirlsTPB 1 (4/5) - another really good series by BKV. This is going to be another epic story like Saga

Black Road TPB 1 (3/5) - this was just okay. Thought Wood would do better

Got Sheriff of Babylon TPB, Black
Monday Murders 1-3, and Tokyo Drift to read next
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Been re-reading the Marvel run of GIJoe lately and enjoying it *immensely*. I got the last 4 issues I've been missing about a year ago (15, 18,19 & 20) & have wanted to do this ever since. Those 4 issues really filled in a lot of blanks I never knew about from later on in the series.

Currently at #48, I have every issue up to #120.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I've been reading Marvel Masterworks Silver Age stuff.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

mkb28
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I have been enjoying "Gotham Central" from Rucka and Brubaker. Good stuff! :thumb:

Mkb28

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:I have been enjoying "Gotham Central" from Rucka and Brubaker. Good stuff! :thumb:

Mkb28
:thumb: Excellent stuff. Rucka and Brubaker on the bat-books were so good. I just love those early years of the century, with the New Gotham vibe.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

Black Hammer by Dark Horse.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »