What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Been enjoying Batman: White Knight, recently read #7, and it was o-so-satisfying! Reasons why Joker kills Robin, where's Robins body, and a fantastic spiral towards the finish!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Been enjoying Batman: White Knight, recently read #7, and it was o-so-satisfying! Reasons why Joker kills Robin, where's Robins body, and a fantastic spiral towards the finish!

What a series, right? :high-five: This was another out-of-nowhere superhit, I love Murphy's art but had never read anything written by him, that I remember. But homeboy is killing it with this tale, there's already a sequel(s) planned and rumors have it that this might become a DC animated movie in the near future.

I have yet to read #7, but I loved the series so far- Sean Murphy's Batman is an instant classic, I love the look of the guy, that high collared cape and all.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

ShadowTuga wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Been enjoying Batman: White Knight, recently read #7, and it was o-so-satisfying! Reasons why Joker kills Robin, where's Robins body, and a fantastic spiral towards the finish!

What a series, right? :high-five: This was another out-of-nowhere superhit, I love Murphy's art but had never read anything written by him, that I remember. But homeboy is killing it with this tale, there's already a sequel(s) planned and rumors have it that this might become a DC animated movie in the near future.

I have yet to read #7, but I loved the series so far- Sean Murphy's Batman is an instant classic, I love the look of the guy, that high collared cape and all.
Tuga, get after that book! I don't know much about the current Batman Mythos, but this book has me wanting more!

You think Sean Murphy's art/story telling fits anywhere in Valiant? I dunno, but I'd like to think it could.
Moose

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

Tuga, get after that book! I don't know much about the current Batman Mythos, but this book has me wanting more!

You think Sean Murphy's art/story telling fits anywhere in Valiant? I dunno, but I'd like to think it could.
:thumb: I don't know if you know this TBM, but it is an Elseworlds story, nothing to do with current Batbooks or anything: Murphy said this was his version of the Burton movies/Animated Series era, but it is its own thing, first and foremost.

I loved "27", the story that he did with Scott Snyder for the new52 Detective Comics 27, and if you haven't read that story, do it. It is in continuity, but anyone can read it without previous knowledge of anything except what everyone knows about Batman.
Look at this amazing page:

I became a fan of the guy's art right there, and have been since waiting for the Big Batman project he would do with Snyder- that is not going to happen, Snyder and Capullo are doing that story ("Last Knight on Earth"), and Murphy said he will not draw for another writer right now, if ever again. Guy's a beast, and he's going to be a huge name in the medium. Seriously, Huge. He had that whole indie follow from Punk Rock Jesus - never read it, only knew it was a thing :P - BUT this. series. is extraordinary Batman comics, or just extraordinary comics. Even my wife said it looked beautiful "for superheroes". :lol:

He did came up with some new concepts here that I bet will crawl into the mainstream DCU,Neo-Joker above all. On that character, great way of showing how much of a narcisist Joker is.

Sean Murphy could do Shadowman, easily. He has such a cool style here, and anyone who can draw a great looking Bat book can do Shadowman, I would think. AND, big plus, he can do great, great fight sequences, so maybe Ninjak as well?
If Valiant grabbed this guy, that would draw a lot of attention. He's HOT right now.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

He wrote and drewm Punk Rock Jesus which was really good. He'd crush Shadowman. I'd buy that book.
ASM Crossover Home

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I've also been reading 'Koschei The Deathless' from Dark Horse lately [4 of 6 issues out so far] - this is a really great sidestory in the Hellboy universe.

I haven't actually kept up with every Hellboy story over the last 5-10 years, but I did pick up the Hellboy In Hell comics. Koschei appeared in one of the stories prior to that, which I have not read. But this comic is basically centered around Koschei & Hellboy sitting in a tavern in hell, having drinks together while Koschei tells his life story. Great stuff, brimming with the kind of supernatural, occult & mythological background details you would expect from all the best Hellboy comics.

I'm also a *massive* fan of Ben Stenbeck's art in general, and this mini-series has yet to disappoint visually. So inspiring!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

:thumb: I don't know if you know this TBM, but it is an Elseworlds story, nothing to do with current Batbooks or anything: Murphy said this was his version of the Burton movies/Animated Series era, but it is its own thing, first and foremost.

I loved "27", the story that he did with Scott Snyder for the new52 Detective Comics 27, and if you haven't read that story, do it. It is in continuity, but anyone can read it without previous knowledge of anything except what everyone knows about Batman.

I became a fan of the guy's art right there, and have been since waiting for the Big Batman project he would do with Snyder- that is not going to happen, Snyder and Capullo are doing that story ("Last Knight on Earth"), and Murphy said he will not draw for another writer right now, if ever again. Guy's a beast, and he's going to be a huge name in the medium. Seriously, Huge. He had that whole indie follow from Punk Rock Jesus - never read it, only knew it was a thing :P - BUT this. series. is extraordinary Batman comics, or just extraordinary comics. Even my wife said it looked beautiful "for superheroes". :lol:

He did came up with some new concepts here that I bet will crawl into the mainstream DCU,Neo-Joker above all. On that character, great way of showing how much of a narcisist Joker is.

Sean Murphy could do Shadowman, easily. He has such a cool style here, and anyone who can draw a great looking Bat book can do Shadowman, I would think. AND, big plus, he can do great, great fight sequences, so maybe Ninjak as well?
If Valiant grabbed this guy, that would draw a lot of attention. He's HOT right now.
Wow, thats some impressive art! Would love to see that guy do something for Valiant! :thumb: :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Definitely check out Murphy's Punk Rock Jesus. It is a more mature (as in wisdom granted through age) take on themes found in PREACHER. I too am loving White Knight. His art has saved other things... Tokyo Ghost and the Wake... which story-wise always hit a drag for me but that art makes them books I return to.

Murphy would be a huge get for Valiant. He's one of those guys that is worth every penny they'd have to throw at him. His Deviant Art Blog is great. Though it'll probably get him in trouble in our current climate if he ever skyrockets to real celebrity status.
grendeljd wrote:I'm also a *massive* fan of Ben Stenbeck's art in general, and this mini-series has yet to disappoint visually. So inspiring!

Me too! There's elements of Mignola there like he's been asked to stay close to it, but I love his Baltimore* run too. It's my favorite level of realism/cartooning. *Very happy that they're expanding that universe with Joe Golem...

Just got through Milligan's THE NAMES... overlooked little thriller--feels like it was starting to find its feet around issue 8, ends at 9. As happy as I am for more Britannia, I'd like to see him tackle something in modern day Valiant.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

ShadowTuga wrote: Sean Murphy could do Shadowman, easily. He has such a cool style here, and anyone who can draw a great looking Bat book can do Shadowman, I would think. AND, big plus, he can do great, great fight sequences, so maybe Ninjak as well?
I endorse this idea! :clap:
Multum In Parvo

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

I recently read the first two trades of Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat and am now reading The Immortal Iron Fist. Mostly grabbed those because of them being available on Kindle Unlimited.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

grendeljd wrote:I've also been reading 'Koschei The Deathless' from Dark Horse lately [4 of 6 issues out so far] - this is a really great sidestory in the Hellboy universe.

I haven't actually kept up with every Hellboy story over the last 5-10 years, but I did pick up the Hellboy In Hell comics. Koschei appeared in one of the stories prior to that, which I have not read. But this comic is basically centered around Koschei & Hellboy sitting in a tavern in hell, having drinks together while Koschei tells his life story. Great stuff, brimming with the kind of supernatural, occult & mythological background details you would expect from all the best Hellboy comics.

I'm also a *massive* fan of Ben Stenbeck's art in general, and this mini-series has yet to disappoint visually. So inspiring!
I am also loving "Koschei The Deathless." It is one of the best Hellboy Universe stories that has come out in a long time...and Stenbeck is killing it.

If you are interested go read the Hellboy Universe comic reviews that Mark Tweedale and I have been writing on the Koshchei series on Multiversity comics:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/tag/mignolaversity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Going slowly through the rest of Planetary and having tons of fun.
Also (slowly) catching up with IDW's TMNT, which I have been neglecting. I like this series a lot, some NOT-AS-GREAT arcs here and there, but it is a really FUN comic, overall.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

caxiotis wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I've also been reading 'Koschei The Deathless' from Dark Horse lately [4 of 6 issues out so far] - this is a really great sidestory in the Hellboy universe.

I am also loving "Koschei The Deathless." It is one of the best Hellboy Universe stories that has come out in a long time...and Stenbeck is killing it.

If you are interested go read the Hellboy Universe comic reviews that Mark Tweedale and I have been writing on the Koshchei series on Multiversity comics:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/tag/mignolaversity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will do, thanks for the link!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:Going slowly through the rest of Planetary and having tons of fun.
Also (slowly) catching up with IDW's TMNT, which I have been neglecting. I like this series a lot, some NOT-AS-GREAT arcs here and there, but it is a really FUN comic, overall.
:thumb: :thumb:

I finally picked up a bunch of TMNT digital trades to read this week - been meaning to give this newer series a go for quite some time. Looking forward to digging into them.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:Going slowly through the rest of Planetary and having tons of fun.

I finally picked up a bunch of TMNT digital trades to read this week - been meaning to give this newer series a go for quite some time. Looking forward to digging into them.
:o :o :o
J. I think its safe to say that we are some sort of brothers in geek. :lol: :high-five:

The first year of the IDW Turtles book is simply put, phenomenal. I am a Turtles fan of old - sort of, only read the Mirage issues in the early 00's, but the Archies were the last comic I collected before dropping out of the hobby in 91/92 - and honestly, this series is so much better than everything outside the Original Eastman/Laird issues.

It is amazing. What Eastman set out to do was some sort of amalgam of everything that is good among the various incarnations of the franchise: you have your red bandanas and your Purple Dragons, but you also have the freaking Technodrome or Slash for examples taken from the lighter versions. The Casey/Raph bromance is the best that it ever was. And Metalhead's origin is even better than the original,I was floored by the twist.

Also, there's a great chunk of NEW stuff added, that turns the origin of the turtles upside down. Read it and grab some tissues.
Awesome writing, damn it! I love this series- although the stuff with the Neutrinos drags a bit, it quicky becomes again fun "at 11".

If I had to suggest a TMNT comic today, I think I would go for this series; I LOVE the Mirage comics (there's nothing like Return to New York, that is the best turtles storyline ever written, imo) but this series has a lot of the cartoon/Archie elements that made me a fan in the first place and that most peeps associate with the guys.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

:o :o :o
J. I think its safe to say that we are some sort of brothers in geek. :lol: :high-five:
You know it, man! :high-five:

ShadowTuga wrote:The first year of the IDW Turtles book is simply put, phenomenal. I am a Turtles fan of old - sort of, only read the Mirage issues in the early 00's, but the Archies were the last comic I collected before dropping out of the hobby in 91/92 - and honestly, this series is so much better than everything outside the Original Eastman/Laird issues.

It is amazing. What Eastman set out to do was some sort of amalgam of everything that is good among the various incarnations of the franchise: you have your red bandanas and your Purple Dragons, but you also have the freaking Technodrome or Slash for examples taken from the lighter versions. The Casey/Raph bromance is the best that it ever was. And Metalhead's origin is even better than the original,I was floored by the twist.

Also, there's a great chunk of NEW stuff added, that turns the origin of the turtles upside down. Read it and grab some tissues.
Awesome writing, damn it! I love this series- although the stuff with the Neutrinos drags a bit, it quicky becomes again fun "at 11".

If I had to suggest a TMNT comic today, I think I would go for this series; I LOVE the Mirage comics (there's nothing like Return to New York, that is the best turtles storyline ever written, imo) but this series has a lot of the cartoon/Archie elements that made me a fan in the first place and that most peeps associate with the guys.
Right on, man! That all sounds awesome to me. I think its smart to take the best elements from all the various adaptations of the past & fuse them into a new single re-telling.

I'll admit that I was never heavily into the Turtles in the past. I didn't get into the cartoon or the Archie versions of them, but I have a bunch of random issues of the original Mirage series [including one of the Return To New York issues, I think]. I've always meant to read all the Eastman/Laird issues. And I absolutely adore the 3 issues done in the #30's by Michael Zulli as an alternate universe take on the book.

Definitely excited to dive into this series!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:Definitely check out Murphy's Punk Rock Jesus. It is a more mature (as in wisdom granted through age) take on themes found in PREACHER. I too am loving White Knight. His art has saved other things... Tokyo Ghost and the Wake... which story-wise always hit a drag for me but that art makes them books I return to.

Murphy would be a huge get for Valiant. He's one of those guys that is worth every penny they'd have to throw at him. His Deviant Art Blog is great. Though it'll probably get him in trouble in our current climate if he ever skyrockets to real celebrity status.
Comixology is having a big sale on some Vertigo stuff right now - I nabbed the trade edition of Punk Rock Jesus there last night for $6.
WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I'm also a *massive* fan of Ben Stenbeck's art in general, and this mini-series has yet to disappoint visually. So inspiring!

Me too! There's elements of Mignola there like he's been asked to stay close to it, but I love his Baltimore* run too. It's my favorite level of realism/cartooning. *Very happy that they're expanding that universe with Joe Golem...
Baltimore is a rare series that I have collected in hardcover trade format only. Those books look beautiful on my shelf :D

I only have the first 4 HC's though - I was disappointed when he stopped drawing the series regularly. HIs stuff is a massive inspiration for me personally - and yeah, he himself is clearly inspired by Mignola, but has managed to find his own standout style, I think.

I'm not aware of this Joe Golem series you mentioned... may have to look that up!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:I've always meant to read all the Eastman/Laird issues. And I absolutely adore the 3 issues done in the #30's by Michael Zulli as an alternate universe take on the book.
Best way to get them today, imho, is "TMNT Color Classics- The Works"; these 5 HCs collect ONLY the Eastman/Laird stories which are a narrative, independent of the other issues by others, weird as it is- kinda like an Anime has its main story but its frequently interrupted by filler stuff. These HCs have the individual micro series, issues 1-11, 19-21 and the final 15 issues when the guys came back to the book for City at War. Its the complete storyline, without interruptions. I will forever love the b&w OG look, but I am a fanboy of these new HCs. Superb presentation, and the color work is stunning and feels at home, if it makes sense.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B0 ... 161377625X

As for the Zulli stuff, it has ALSO been colored and collected in a HC format, "Soul's Winter"; It is indeed AMAZING art, needless to say. :thumb:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant ... 1631400517

Its a bit of a shame that one of my favourite stories (Masks by Michael Dooney) is somewhat hard to get for a new reader, it is on Volume 7 of the TPB collection that has most of the non-E/L stuff. Its called Classics, also with colors. Kinda confusing.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bookseries/ ... 1613772343
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I've always meant to read all the Eastman/Laird issues. And I absolutely adore the 3 issues done in the #30's by Michael Zulli as an alternate universe take on the book.
Best way to get them today, imho, is "TMNT Color Classics- The Works"; these 5 HCs collect ONLY the Eastman/Laird stories which are a narrative, independent of the other issues by others, weird as it is- kinda like an Anime has its main story but its frequently interrupted by filler stuff. These HCs have the individual micro series, issues 1-11, 19-21 and the final 15 issues when the guys came back to the book for City at War. Its the complete storyline, without interruptions. I will forever love the b&w OG look, but I am a fanboy of these new HCs. Superb presentation, and the color work is stunning and feels at home, if it makes sense.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B0 ... 161377625X

As for the Zulli stuff, it has ALSO been colored and collected in a HC format, "Soul's Winter"; It is indeed AMAZING art, needless to say. :thumb:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant ... 1631400517

Its a bit of a shame that one of my favourite stories (Masks by Michael Dooney) is somewhat hard to get for a new reader, it is on Volume 7 of the TPB collection that has most of the non-E/L stuff. Its called Classics, also with colors. Kinda confusing.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bookseries/ ... 1613772343
I read the first trade of the IDW TMNT book - thought it was great! Very enjoyable, looking forward to reading more.

I took a peek at that colour "The Works" trade collection set - they look pretty awesome. Love the pizza box graphic design elements. I'll be checking those out at some point for sure. :thumb:

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

grendeljd wrote: I'm not aware of this Joe Golem series you mentioned... may have to look that up!
Finish Baltimore...if only the for the sake of your shelf. In the current floppies the connection has been made to the events of the final books and Joe Golem's world --I think the second hardcover out in May will have those issues. But it's a different kind of story so far. Detective with a secret that even he's not so sure about. It would be neat if this universe gets as fleshed out as Hellboy's. I love that the basic premise for Baltimore is 'he's back, he should be dead, but he's back, let's go kill vampires.'

grendeljd wrote:Best way to get them today, imho, is "TMNT Color Classics- The Works"; these 5 HCs collect ONLY the Eastman/Laird
Thanks for that! I have a few old turtles comics and I've been wanting to get them all, but there seem to be way too many options. Loved the IDW/DC Batman/TMNT crossovers.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Bloodshot salvation, xo manowar, the walking dead
I Miss the good old days.

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

I just read the entire runs of Epsilon Wave (8 issues) and Seadragon (6 issues). I wish they had lasted longer. :cry:

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

ShadowTuga wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

:o :o :o Holy SQUEE!!! That guy needs to do an entire post-apocalypse book. That top panel is amazing!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Burrito Boy wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

:o :o :o Holy SQUEE!!! That guy needs to do an entire post-apocalypse book. That top panel is amazing!
The fact that only on a second glance did I see that there's a sort of ninja/cyborg/woman-horse hybrid in that panel speaks volumes about it. :lol: :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

caxiotis
What comics are you reading now?

Post by caxiotis »

For you Hellboy fans, Mark T. and I review B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know #6. It’s a killer issue with lots of surprises...

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/revie ... ou-know-6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics