What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: greg, Daniel Jackson

Post Reply
User avatar
ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:06:13 am
Valiant fan since: 2012
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by ShadowTuga »

tarheelmarine wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:05:57 am
I just read the Absolute Edition of All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder. The introduction explained that this story is in the same bat-verse as Dark Knight, Dark Knight Returns, etc. Knowing that, I really enjoyed the series. I enjoyed the Batman with an edge, and art (of course) was fantastic. I was disappointed to know that the sequel was never published (and likely never will be).
That is one beautiful looking comic. Its story is completely bonkers and wrong on so many levels that it comes out clean on the other side, Dufresne style. :lol: But there's a lot of stuff I just have to shake my head... i wouldn't like it as much if it weren't for Jim Lee's work, that's for sure.

If you want more of that Millerverse there's the 9 issue "Dark Knight III: The Master Race" series (I think its one of those underated Batman comics already), and both "The Last Crusade" and "The Golden Child" one-shots- the former is the story of how Jason met his end in this universe, and the latter I still have to receive it (ordered it a few weeks ago) so I can't speak to its quality. It has some amazing art by Grampa, from what I could see.

DK III is definitely a way better story than ASB&R, I really reccomend it to anyone who likes Miller's brand of Batman.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

User avatar
tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Posts: 3722
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:14:44 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
Location: Japan
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by tarheelmarine »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:56:04 pm
tarheelmarine wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:05:57 am
I just read the Absolute Edition of All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder. The introduction explained that this story is in the same bat-verse as Dark Knight, Dark Knight Returns, etc. Knowing that, I really enjoyed the series. I enjoyed the Batman with an edge, and art (of course) was fantastic. I was disappointed to know that the sequel was never published (and likely never will be).
That is one beautiful looking comic. Its story is completely bonkers and wrong on so many levels that it comes out clean on the other side, Dufresne style. :lol: But there's a lot of stuff I just have to shake my head... i wouldn't like it as much if it weren't for Jim Lee's work, that's for sure.

If you want more of that Millerverse there's the 9 issue "Dark Knight III: The Master Race" series (I think its one of those underated Batman comics already), and both "The Last Crusade" and "The Golden Child" one-shots- the former is the story of how Jason met his end in this universe, and the latter I still have to receive it (ordered it a few weeks ago) so I can't speak to its quality. It has some amazing art by Grampa, from what I could see.

DK III is definitely a way better story than ASB&R, I really reccomend it to anyone who likes Miller's brand of Batman.
I am going to have to reread DKIII. I didn't care for it a few years, but with the context of ASBR and perhaps rereading DK and DK Returns it might shift my opinion. Thanks for the recommendation on Last Crusade and Golden Child.

User avatar
grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Posts: 7796
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:51:03 am
tarheelmarine wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40:07 am
grendeljd wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:40:16 pm
I am still enjoying Immortal Hulk immensely - I discovered that it was truly the only comic that I really missed while the industry hit the pause button for covid19. There have been two issues of it out already since publication resumed, and They have been fantastic, even without the regular art team on either issue to date.

I was also very pleasantly surprised to discover that I got a letter printed in issue #35!!

Nothing beats that thrill as a life-long comic nerd. Its not easy to get into a Marvel comic, even these days with less people on average writing in. Not only that, but The Hulk is an all-time top favourite character/comic of mine, so it feels like quite a lucky achievement to be published in it! Nerd-bucket-list item - checkmarked!! This was my third letter in a Marvel comic, in roughly 30 years of writing in at various times.
Congrats on the letter. I have read Immortal Hulk thru the trades and did not realize they published a letter column. Very cool!
Congrats, too! Having letters printed is awesome. I had a letter printed in The Bunker #2 by Joshua Hale Fialkov. It was the very first one. Unfortunately it was only in the early digital version and there were different letters in the print version later on. Maybe I should have sent the same letter in again but I didn't. Damn myself!!I
Thanks guys! :high-five: Al Ewing responds personally to all the letters in Immortal Hulk, so it was especially thrilling to me!

SunLight - congrats one your letter too! That’s pretty strange that there were two different letter columns made for print & digital versions... I’ve never heard of that happening before.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Sunlight on Snow
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11:03 pm
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

grendeljd wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:43:16 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:51:03 am
tarheelmarine wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40:07 am
grendeljd wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:40:16 pm
I am still enjoying Immortal Hulk immensely - I discovered that it was truly the only comic that I really missed while the industry hit the pause button for covid19. There have been two issues of it out already since publication resumed, and They have been fantastic, even without the regular art team on either issue to date.

I was also very pleasantly surprised to discover that I got a letter printed in issue #35!!

Nothing beats that thrill as a life-long comic nerd. Its not easy to get into a Marvel comic, even these days with less people on average writing in. Not only that, but The Hulk is an all-time top favourite character/comic of mine, so it feels like quite a lucky achievement to be published in it! Nerd-bucket-list item - checkmarked!! This was my third letter in a Marvel comic, in roughly 30 years of writing in at various times.
Congrats on the letter. I have read Immortal Hulk thru the trades and did not realize they published a letter column. Very cool!
Congrats, too! Having letters printed is awesome. I had a letter printed in The Bunker #2 by Joshua Hale Fialkov. It was the very first one. Unfortunately it was only in the early digital version and there were different letters in the print version later on. Maybe I should have sent the same letter in again but I didn't. Damn myself!!I
Thanks guys! :high-five: Al Ewing responds personally to all the letters in Immortal Hulk, so it was especially thrilling to me!

SunLight - congrats one your letter too! That’s pretty strange that there were two different letter columns made for print & digital versions... I’ve never heard of that happening before.
Thank you, too.

They weren't released at the same time! The first five digital chapters came out in 2013 (or '12). A year later Fialkov got a deal with ONI Press to collect all five chapters in one double-sized issue and continue the story. The digital chapters were in widescreen format and mostly b/w. For the print version the panel layout was redesigned and also recolored by artist Joe Infurnari. Needless to say, I recommend reading The Bunker!!!

User avatar
tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Posts: 3722
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:14:44 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
Location: Japan
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by tarheelmarine »

Anyone else reading The Three Jokers? Being in Japan, I have only received the first two issues and am waiting for issue three. The first two issues kept me entertained both had a nice shocker at the end of each issue.

User avatar
The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:10:16 pm
Location: Eggbreaking today, Gone tomorrow
Contact:
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by The Harbinger »

Anybody reading Batman run with Clownhunter, Punchline, and Ghostmaker? People hating on it from what I can tell, but I've been enjoying Joker War and what's happening after


Also really enjoyed reading Sink lately. It's a Glasgow thriller comic, currently 10 issues. Highly recommended. Though that recommendation comes with a warning with Comixtribe comics. I read Red Ten, which was great, but it took 8 years to get 10 issues out. It had 2 separate 2 year delays.

Superman Man of Tomorrow is back to basics from the identity stuff in comics, and the kind of stuff DC needs to put out now that failure is no longer an option

User avatar
ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:06:13 am
Valiant fan since: 2012
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by ShadowTuga »

The Harbinger wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:59:49 pm
Anybody reading Batman run with Clownhunter, Punchline, and Ghostmaker? People hating on it from what I can tell, but I've been enjoying Joker War and what's happening after
I am, have a complete run of Tynion's Bats, so far.
I loved the art on Joker War, said it in a thread about Batman i made around these parts, but i am completely underwhelmed by the guy's writing these days. I really dug his Tec run, really backtobasicsofsorts Batfam stories that made me care for the cast. This Batman run of his is just "ok i guess" in my book. I still have to pick all books after 101, so no Ghostmaker yet, maybe the thing gets a wee better. But Joker War ws, in my opinion one of the most hyped up craptastic events in recent years. Please take no offense when i say it is a Batman story for people who never read Batman events before. Just a bunch of cliche stuff with the "Batman is now broke" gimmick on the side. Which i bet will be undone in a couple more months, if it hasn't yet. The FU to Selina and Bruce's relation also did not gel well with me, not that i care that much, it just felt really weird and shallow how their thing was just cast aside after all that noise a couple years ago.

It feels like editorial fingers all over, honestly, maybe Tynion is really not to blame for a lot of the mediocrity i find in "Batman" these days (i may be wrong, but I think he mentioned not being able to do his own thing or that he was told to take the Joke War thing into a direction he did not plan).

I always felt the main title was a wrong playground for another "Chuck Dixon in the making" type of Bat-writer (meaning, Tynion could write 200000 batman book per month, and none of them will be terrible or amazing). Batman's main book needs a great writer who is daring, fans be damned, tbh.

Snyder got a lot of hate in the beginning, and King... well, its Tom King, everybody hates the man to the point its a meme, stupidly and unfortunately. Tynion's two predecessors were great writers withtheir own ideas, Tynion is just recicling *SQUEE* with some made-for-speculation editorial-mandated characters. Clownhunter could be fun, but he feels like a 90s dude. Punchline is just marketing and fan-made hype.

I hope i don't sound like an *SQUEE*, i just have strong opinions on the only monthly book i'm buying these days. :D

I hope he gets replaced soon, honestly i feel he's not that much into it, given how much of an indie guy he bacame of late. Very happy for him actually, he seems like a genuine good person and he works his *SQUEE* of (I read his blog on occasions)
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

User avatar
Fu-Schnickens
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:53:20 am
Valiant fan since: Last Week
Favorite character: RAI / Bloodshot
Favorite title: RAI #0
Favorite writer: All of them
Favorite artist: All of them
Location: Portland Oregon
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Fu-Schnickens »

I've only been reading comics for little over a year now and I know this shouldn't matter, but I noticed on almost all the "Best comics of 2020" pages have almost none of the comics I'm reading. I'm a weird only child, I'm well aware that the stuff I'm into isn't the majority, But none of them have RAI, Bloodshot, Undiscovered Country, Tartarus, Savage Avengers, Hellboy, etc.

I love the comics I'm reading, especially RAI!! I thought for sure CBR or any of the biggest comic book pages would be writing about it, I guess I'm just confused on what constitutes a great comic vs a good one. Every single list I read had X of Swords and I have that comic too, but I thought RAI and Undiscovered Country were right there with it.

I probably just have a certain taste, any thoughts would help me though, I'm brand new to the comic book world!
One Love

User avatar
JCP
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:06:14 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by JCP »

Re-reading Scud the Disposable Assassin by Rob Schrab. Outstanding. A must read.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

User avatar
armlessphelan
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01:57 pm
Location: Ohio, US
Contact:
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by armlessphelan »

I picked up some of the TMNT trades from IDW on Comixology. And those books are actually really good. Probably gonna follow the series in trade now.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

User avatar
tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Posts: 3722
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:14:44 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
Location: Japan
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by tarheelmarine »

Reading the Paul Dini Batman Omnibus. Excellent self contained stories that include enough to contribute to a larger story arc. So far the only bad issues are the ones which were part of the "Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul." It is very apparent how "forced" the crossover detracted from Dini's writing.

User avatar
grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Posts: 7796
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by grendeljd »

armlessphelan wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:26:42 pm
I picked up some of the TMNT trades from IDW on Comixology. And those books are actually really good. Probably gonna follow the series in trade now.
That series is quite good! I have read up to around issue #25 or so to date. I was a tad too old for the era of TMNT cartoons and toys etc, but I have always liked the few odd issues I had from the original Eastman/Laird comic.

Within my limited knowledge of all the various media incarnations over the years of TMNT, this current IDW series seems like it incorporates all the best bits from every previous source into a single new take from ground zero.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
magnus20009
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:52:22 pm
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by magnus20009 »

grendeljd wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:03:48 pm
armlessphelan wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:26:42 pm
I picked up some of the TMNT trades from IDW on Comixology. And those books are actually really good. Probably gonna follow the series in trade now.
That series is quite good! I have read up to around issue #25 or so to date. I was a tad too old for the era of TMNT cartoons and toys etc, but I have always liked the few odd issues I had from the original Eastman/Laird comic.

Within my limited knowledge of all the various media incarnations over the years of TMNT, this current IDW series seems like it incorporates all the best bits from every previous source into a single new take from ground zero.
I agree. The current TMNT and related series are great. I am around issue 70 or so. I have been reading the big collected editions with include all the spins offs (which is good as they form an integral part of the story).

Since 2020 started I have read two different series:

1) Chew 1-60. I had been meaning to read this for quite a while. It is a pretty fast read and a unique concept. The first half is better than the second half but it is worth reading the entire series.

2) Persepolis graphic Novels I and II. For those not familiar is an autobiographical series by Marjane Satrapi that depicts her childhood up to her early adult years in Iran and Austria during and after the Islamic Revolution. I like to read things with a different point of view and this certainly is that and some of the book was eye opening. Not sure if I enjoyed it per se but I think it was worth reading. The one thing I did not like about it is despite challenging times she lived in is the author comes across a bit as a spoiled rotten rich kid.

Note sure what I will read next. Maybe the 1980's New Teen Titans.


Post Reply