Rags (Antarctic Press & Patreon ex) Market Mover

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Rags (Antarctic Press & Patreon ex) Market Mover

Post by IMJ »

I'm very interested in this sudden sensation of a series. At first I really wondered if it was spec hype from the people blowing air into the spec bubble, but then I read the first three issues (free here by the publisher).

Honestly, given the print runs, the art (it's stellar - absolutely stellar), and the actually cool story that gives some credibility to the "naked hot chick in an apocalypse thing", I'm thinking the hype might be well deserved. From a market perspective, I don't know how far the legs will be on this one considering it's only a mini-series though. Mini-series that blow-up tend to settle a bit once the series wraps up and is in trade, whereas ongoings tend to stay on the back issue market. However, in the book's favor, we've got a patreon edition and also virgin variants that are limited to 200 copies.

With that said though, check out the link I left above. It's actually a great read and visually it's amazing.

This book could be huge, and if it is, it might be deserved.
Last edited by IMJ on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:42:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
Re: Rags (Antarctic Press & Previously Patreon Funded)

Post by myron »

Thanks for the heads up on this...will be taking a look at it when I get a chance.
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

IMJ
Re: Rags (Antarctic Press & Previously Patreon Funded)

Post by IMJ »

This series was originally self-published through Patreon before it was picked up by Antarctic Press, and so putting together a checklist of the first 3 issues (that would be #0, #1, & #2) is a little difficult. This is what I've dug up so far:

#0 - Patreon edition - low print run. Identified by absence of Antarctic Press logo
#1 - Patreon edition [Uncensoerd version] - this is also incredibly limited. Identified by absence of Antarctic Press logo
#1a - Antarctic Press edition - Has AP logo on cover above the Rabbit logo
#1b - Virgin variant - Limited to 200 copies
#1c - Tim Lim Patreon variant
#1d - 2nd print (yellow Rags logo)

#2 - Patreon edition [Uncensored version] - low print run. Identified by absence of Antarctic Press logo
#2a - Antarctic Press edition - Has AP logo on cover above the Rabbit logo
#2b - Virgin variant - Limited to 200 copies
#2c - Silver foil variant
#2d - Patreon exclusive "Mecha variant"
#2e - 2nd print (yellow Rags logo)

Note that Patreon editions are uncensored whereas Antarctic Press variants which are sold in LCS's are censored.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman
Re: Rags (Antarctic Press & Patreon ex) Market Mover

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

I’m digging this book. :thumb:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

I enjoy it and like the creators personally. A little bit much on the sex and gore for me but what can you do :)
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Just so everyone knows there is some drama going on with this book right now.

I’m not 100% sure about all the details.
But I’m pretty sure that the creators are reprinting on demand some of the super “rare” books that were selling for $100s on line.

Then a list of peeps that bought the reprinted books was posted and, again, I’m not sure but some dudes were banned from the Patreon And craziness

So if buying to read. Cool.
If buying to flip, do some reaserach.

I have zero involvement. Never read the book, never bought anything.
I do know that some of the books were selling for some good change, but not sure what is gonna happen now.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

That is some shenanigans a lot like what I understood happened in the 80s black and white explosion.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Elveen wrote:Just so everyone knows there is some drama going on with this book right now.

But I’m pretty sure that the creators are reprinting on demand some of the super “rare” books that were selling for $100s on line.

Then a list of peeps that bought the reprinted books was posted and, again, I’m not sure but some dudes were banned from the Patreon And craziness

I do know that some of the books were selling for some good change, but not sure what is gonna happen now.
You know that? That's infuriating to read, especially if those books are being reprinted without a 2nd print marker of some kind. I have the virgin variants of issues #1 and 2. I don't buy books to "flip" per se, but that doesn't mean that I pick books flippantly either. The series itself is a lot of fun an reprinting can't take away from that, but after reading this I've got the same feelings about this story that I had when Hot Toys & Sideshow started re-releasing their early Iron Man 12" figures.

myron

Post by myron »

Chiclo wrote:That is some shenanigans a lot like what I understood happened in the 80s black and white explosion.

this
facepalm

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

IMJ wrote:
Elveen wrote:Just so everyone knows there is some drama going on with this book right now.

You know that? That's infuriating to read, especially if those books are being reprinted without a 2nd print marker of some kind. I have the virgin variants of issues #1 and 2. I don't buy books to "flip" per se, but that doesn't mean that I pick books flippantly either. The series itself is a lot of fun an reprinting can't take away from that, but after reading this I've got the same feelings about this story that I had when Hot Toys & Sideshow started re-releasing their early Iron Man 12" figures.
I do know this.
Again, I'm not involved at all. ZERO.

But I have seen the screen caps and stuff like that.

One Million % the books are being reprinted on demand. Which books? I don't know.

I don't know what it is, but is there a "Lim Variant". That has come up in what I have read.

Being involved in the comic book industry I gotta know the things. Ya know.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Elveen wrote:
IMJ wrote:

I do know this.

One Million % the books are being reprinted on demand. Which books? I don't know.

I don't know what it is, but is there a "Lim Variant". That has come up in what I have read.

IndyPlanet What Is Print On Demand

myron

Post by myron »

IMJ wrote:
Elveen wrote:
IMJ wrote:

I do know this.

IndyPlanet What Is Print On Demand
So are the books on indyplanet there by consent of the owner or is that place doing total thievery?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

There is a ComicTom youtube show on this,interviewing the Rags creator and Ive gotta say that hearing the Rags creator talk is VERY telling and extremely disappointing.

Evebn moreso because the book itself is great, but oh man if you guys watch the youtube cast, it becomes VERY obvious what kind of guys the Rags creators are.

Unreal and what a shame.