Batman Snyder Capulla run

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Batman Snyder Capulla run

Post by StarBrand »

I only read a few issues of this run. How good is it? Will it stand the test of time as an all-time great run?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Batman Snyder Capulla run

Post by nycjadie »

Some of the seminal Batman comics of all time, and some of my favorite comics. I love them, but I didn't finish the entire run.

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

I’m just not a fan of Snyder.

Capulla’s art is very good.

The court of owl storyline was good, the rest was average, nothing special.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I fall somewhere in between NYCJadie and Aport on this. I thought the arc plots were relatively fresh for stuff that takes place with Batman in his prime. Arguably, "Hush" from Loeb and Lee had a better story than any given arc from Snyder's run, yet Snyder did some neat stuff with the character. The Joker arcs were good.

With that said, I'm still a sucker for basically any mainstream comic character who lands a solid run with a rockstar artist. I've been a Capullo fan since his Quasar run. I'd say that the run isn't necessarily "seminal" Batman reading by any means, but it definitely belongs in a "rockstar run" collection next to McFarlane on Amazing Spider-Man (and maybe Hulk), Silvestri on Uncanny X-Men, Platt on Moon Knight, Granov on Iron Man, etc...

I can't believe DC hasn't put this in an Omnibus yet.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I didn’t know Capulla worked on Quasar. That must’ve been before his Image work?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:I didn’t know Capulla worked on Quasar. That must’ve been before his Image work?
Yup... He drew the Cosmos In Collision arc (which was just collected in trade for October release actually), and took his run into the Infinity War. His drawings of Quasar emitting energy are awesome, and when Capullo draws him in flight, you can just feel the ridiculous speed the quantum bands can move a person at. It's a great run.

Here are some Capullo Quasar run highlights:

#18 - 1st Capullo on Quasar | 1st Origin & Unbeing | 1st Capullo designed Quasar costume (resembles Mar-Vell)
#19 - 25 - Cosmos in Collision arc | 2nd Capullo designed Quasar costume
#27 - Infinity Gauntlet crossover | has some awesome energy projection stuff in it
#28 & #29 - Kismet stuff, and has some great flight panels in it during a Hyperion chasing Quasar chasing Kismet sequence. Also, some pretty hysterical Hercules stuff in these issues.
#31 - Quasar in the New Universe acquiring the Starbrand
#32-35 - Operation Galactic Storm. #32 has the first Korath (big book now with Guardians of the Galaxy & Captain Marvel movies)
#36 - has some cool stuff showing ridiculous scale between the Soul-Eater and Quasar. Also, this was a Galactic Storm Aftermath issue that many people didn't know about.
#38 - Infinity War crossover. Capullo draws everyone in a great cosmic battle that ends indecisively in frustrating "hero vs hero" fashion for Quasar fans.

Specifically, Capullo drew Quasar #18-25, 27-29, 31, 32, & 35-38. He left Quasar book as an up and comer at Marvel to do his X-Force run after that. I recall some interviews in the past where he stated he loved drawing Quasar. It showed in his work too.

Last edited by IMJ on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

IMHO, and as someone who was reading it as it came out, the experience of waiting for the next installment of that first year was tremendous fun- I still remember the THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!! feelings when I first read issues 5 and 6. Court/Night of Owls is simply pUt one of the Batman stories ever written and - specially - drawn. Capullo :P just nails Batman- I literally begged DC Collectibles for a Batman figure based on his design. :D
Snyder's writing then gets a bit over-the top and wordy, specially during the Death of the Family- its his worst arc, in my opinion, but f me, that first issue has one of the best Joker moments ever.
Zero Year in retrospect is great fun and boy, do the colors come to town on this one. Its loud and Epic but opposite to everything that came before. Lots of daytime fights and events, opposed to nighty-night Batman we always get. Also, if the words "Survival Suit Batman on a Dirtbike" don't ring a bell, you are missing out on fun comics. :thumb:
The run never fully got to the level of goodness it attained in issues 1-11, but the final stories are actually, once again, Great. Particularly, Endgame with all the emotional stuff it brings to the run. Its my second favourite on this multi year run, the final issues of the story are beautiful Batman comics for any die-hard fan.

And then, Gordon as Batman in a super Bat-robotic suit nicknamed Rookie. This is where the boys went crazy, lots of stuff you'd never expect to see in a Batman main title story. Mechas and Giant flower people all over.

Its great fun and with Capullo drawing, you are always getting your money worth of pretty pics, even if you don't like the stories that much.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I still have my Capullo Batman action figure. I love it.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

nycjadie wrote:I still have my Capullo Batman action figure. I love it.

:high-five:
It is one of my fav Batman toys, I just love, love that figure. I also have Nightwing, for everytime I want to reenact that punching scene in CoO. :lol: :wink: DCC really did a wonderful job on these, the Rookie one (comes with Gordon in the suit AND the Robot) and SM Batman are must grabs down the road.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Just looked those up. Hilarious. I have the joker figure where he is a mechanic somewhere too. I don’t buy that stuff, but this was such a great run, I had to have it.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

After stopping any New 52 monthlies, I eventually tackled the Snyder-Capullo run through hardcovers. the first two arcs were strong fr me, and I love the Court of Owls mythos they created, but each successive arc felt weaker than the last.

That said, I was still entertained, but for me the high watermark was those first couple of arcs.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

nycjadie wrote:Just looked those up. Hilarious. I have the joker figure where he is a mechanic somewhere too. I don’t buy that stuff, but this was such a great run, I had to have it.
Yeah, I have a bunch of Batman comic-based figures and all that, but I USUALLY only pick stuff from stories that really struck a chord with me, like this one, DKR, Knightfall Tengu Bats, Batman R.I.P. (with Bat-Radia in the belt, and a whacky Bat-Mite mini figure- how can I not love this figure :lol: ), etc. On that, I really need a Last Rites Batman and the Lee design for the Hush series (I have the nu52 Bats by him)- together with that amazing DKR Mezco figure, these are probably the best Batman AF out there. The sculpt is phenomenal.
Completely unrelated, but the last DCC figure I picked is a fantastic rendering of The Judas Contract' Deathstroke. Its like the dude popped out of the books. :o

Sorry for the OOT bit.

sO, YEAH, Starbrand, IMO, you should at least read the first year of the book. 8-)
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

ShadowTuga wrote:
nycjadie wrote:Just looked those up. Hilarious. I have the joker figure where he is a mechanic somewhere too. I don’t buy that stuff, but this was such a great run, I had to have it.
Yeah, I have a bunch of Batman comic-based figures and all that, but I USUALLY only pick stuff from stories that really struck a chord with me, like this one, DKR, Knightfall Tengu Bats, Batman R.I.P. (with Bat-Radia in the belt, and a whacky Bat-Mite mini figure- how can I not love this figure :lol: ), etc. On that, I really need a Last Rites Batman and the Lee design for the Hush series (I have the nu52 Bats by him)- together with that amazing DKR Mezco figure, these are probably the best Batman AF out there. The sculpt is phenomenal.
Completely unrelated, but the last DCC figure I picked is a fantastic rendering of The Judas Contract' Deathstroke. Its like the dude popped out of the books. :o

Sorry for the OOT bit.

sO, YEAH, Starbrand, IMO, you should at least read the first year of the book. 8-)
My favorite Batman fig is the Dark Knight Returns set. Frank Miller Batman, Robin, Superman and Joker.

I don't own any non-Valiant statues, but if I did, it would have to be this guy:
https://www.amazon.com/DC-Collectibles- ... B00LBCVUIM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

Sorry for the OOT bit.

My favorite Batman fig is the Dark Knight Returns set. Frank Miller Batman, Robin, Superman and Joker.

I don't own any non-Valiant statues, but if I did, it would have to be this guy:
https://www.amazon.com/DC-Collectibles- ... B00LBCVUIM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Same here. I don't buy a lot of DC stuff, but I do have a few of the 6" DC Multiverse figs from TDKR, and a couple 3 3/4" Batman from the Multiverse line. That line gave us the Michael Keaton Batman toy we wish we always had as a kid. And the Christopher Reeve's Superman is fantastic.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

IMJ wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

Sorry for the OOT bit.

Same here. I don't buy a lot of DC stuff, but I do have a few of the 6" DC Multiverse figs from TDKR, and a couple 3 3/4" Batman from the Multiverse line. That line gave us the Michael Keaton Batman toy we wish we always had as a kid. And the Christopher Reeve's Superman is fantastic.
Those 2 lines had incredible cool picks, like the Keaton and Reeve you mentioned, one of them I MUST HAVE is the Armored DKR one. I have the regular suit Bats with black/grey scheme, but I really want that 30th anniversary one with blue/oval yellow symbol . :D I also like the Elseworlds Vampire and the legion of Arkham ones.

And this one... I think its the coolest Damian I've seen.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo