Marvel Legacy

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: Marvel Legacy

Post by Cyberstrike »

Captain America #695 is a damn good read.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

I'm really digging Legacy Moon Knight but he's my favorite comic character ever, so not a hard win for me, but I like far better than Lemire's take.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

QUARTZ wrote:I'm really digging Legacy Moon Knight but he's my favorite comic character ever, so not a hard win for me, but I like far better than Lemire's take.
I started out loving Lemire's run, but by the third tpb it was pretty much a really really decompressed story...but I still want to dig more into MK. I was planning on picking up the Ellis/Bunn run, any others you'd recommend?

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
QUARTZ wrote:I'm really digging Legacy Moon Knight but he's my favorite comic character ever, so not a hard win for me, but I like far better than Lemire's take.
I started out loving Lemire's run, but by the third tpb it was pretty much a really really decompressed story...but I still want to dig more into MK. I was planning on picking up the Ellis/Bunn run, any others you'd recommend?
Moench/Sienkiewicz original run is being collected in the Epic collections- I am currently reading/rereading vol. 1. I loved this stuff as a kid, have no idea if this is something that others would think its weak. I love it. :thumb:

More recently I was very impressed with Warren Ellis' (very short) take on MK. Issue 5 of his volume (the silent one, with MK going through a building full of aholes) was one of the best MK comics I ever read.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

so basiclly marvel is going back to old numbering again
although punisher in war machine seems fun

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

ShadowTuga wrote:
WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
Moench/Sienkiewicz original run is being collected in the Epic collections- I am currently reading/rereading vol. 1. I loved this stuff as a kid, have no idea if this is something that others would think its weak. I love it. :thumb:

More recently I was very impressed with Warren Ellis' (very short) take on MK. Issue 5 of his volume (the silent one, with MK going through a building full of aholes) was one of the best MK comics I ever read.
Ennis run was great, spectacular, even though it was short, Cullen Bunn did okay picking up the pieces. I loved the issue where MK figured out who the murderer was by sleeping in the crime scene. I have those Epic collections as well; I love perusing them. Much better in color; I have MK essentials volume 1 and 2 as well. I am looking for Moon Knight Essentials volume 3; seems to be way marked up on ebay. People are asking like 100 bucks for black and white reprints. I have recently picked up "Divided We Fall" and the entire run of Fist of Khonsu. I'm having a hard time finding any MK from the 90's. I really want every appearance of Moonie. I am glad they released the new Marvel's Legends figure with his new armor. I wish they made a version of Moon Knight wearing his "spirit armor" from issue #2 of the Ennis run. I heard there was a syndicated Moon Knight television series in Japan....can anyone confirm that?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

So far Marvel "Legacy" hasn't done much to fix what Marvel had been doing. Really, on most of the books they've just slapped the old numbering on and put out some shiny covers to look at. It seems that most of the content is just the continuation of Marvel's hostile-liberal facade of the last few years.

I want the content to be good again, but let's face it - Legacy so far has continued Marvel's recent agenda but now instead of slapping you in the face with it, it's topped with nostalgia to draw people back in. And the shiny lenticular covers, which I wanted to like, still don't lenticulate. It's pretty disappointing.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

the new numbering schemes have been going on for a whle relaunch a new number one after a few years add it up to the old numbering and continue as before

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I want Marvel to be great again, honestly, but the damage done by the Bendisation + Comics for the MCU fans of their universe (the SJW characters and 10,000 Avengers books, plus the constant renumbering of the last 5 years) is maybe too big for me to actually be interested in the long term.
I'm starting to get the "ok, I guess..." feelings when I finish the current "X-Men Gold" and since "Astonishing X-Men" is a 12 issue book... I am not sure if I will keep reading Marvel for a long time. The current incarnations of Moon Knight, Daredevil and (specially) Black Panther might be very cool and I do Love these characters, but the lack of direction that I get from the books and the vibe around the company (how they promote their stuff, essentialy catering to he new readers) lets me not caring that much. I appreciate the going back to numbers of old, but if the content is still the same light *SQUEE* of the Disney years, i'm not here to stay. And, yeah, even though I hate making comparisons between the Big 2 these days, its not really a fight, at all: DC has a lot going on for them, and by far, they are much more respected and appreciated by what I call "true comics' fans" (peeps around my age or older, who actually read books :D ).

Honestly, maybe it was that whole "Weapon H series" thing that reminded me how money-grabbing Marvel is today- you bet it made me want to snikt and smash *SQUEE*, specially the editors at Marvel.

But, like I always say, we all know where the good stuff of old is and gosh darn it, I do love the MCU. Win, win of sorts. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

superman-prime wrote:the new numbering schemes have been going on for a whle relaunch a new number one after a few years add it up to the old numbering and continue as before
I wish you were an Iron Man fan. You'd understand how incomprehensible the re-volumes, and renumberings of that book have become. And I'm saying this even as an Iron Man scholar of sorts. Marvel publishing lineup is a complete mess because of the last ten years of their "throw *SQUEE* at the wall to see what sticks in sales" mentality. Now, ten years later they have a wall covered in *SQUEE*.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

dc until the new 52 was not near as bad

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

IMJ wrote:
superman-prime wrote:the new numbering schemes have been going on for a whle relaunch a new number one after a few years add it up to the old numbering and continue as before
I wish you were an Iron Man fan. You'd understand how incomprehensible the re-volumes, and renumberings of that book have become. And I'm saying this even as an Iron Man scholar of sorts. Marvel publishing lineup is a complete mess because of the last ten years of their "throw *SQUEE* at the wall to see what sticks in sales" mentality. Now, ten years later they have a wall covered in *SQUEE*.
I was *this* close to checking out a couple of Legacy comics, because I really am nearly a sucker for a return to classic numbering. I almost bought Iron Man 594(?), and Hulk 709... but in looking through them, I'm just absolutely not interested in whatever is going on in their stories right now.

And further to that, to address your comments... it's all a total *SQUEE* -show right now in the wake of all the aggressive number/re-number/rehash/reboot sales gimmicks of the last decade. It really feels damaged beyond repair in that regard.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:I want Marvel to be great again, honestly, but the damage done by the Bendisation + Comics for the MCU fans of their universe (the SJW characters and 10,000 Avengers books, plus the constant renumbering of the last 5 years) is maybe too big for me to actually be interested in the long term.
I'm starting to get the "ok, I guess..." feelings when I finish the current "X-Men Gold" and since "Astonishing X-Men" is a 12 issue book... I am not sure if I will keep reading Marvel for a long time. The current incarnations of Moon Knight, Daredevil and (specially) Black Panther might be very cool and I do Love these characters, but the lack of direction that I get from the books and the vibe around the company (how they promote their stuff, essentialy catering to he new readers) lets me not caring that much. I appreciate the going back to numbers of old, but if the content is still the same light *SQUEE* of the Disney years, i'm not here to stay. And, yeah, even though I hate making comparisons between the Big 2 these days, its not really a fight, at all: DC has a lot going on for them, and by far, they are much more respected and appreciated by what I call "true comics' fans" (peeps around my age or older, who actually read books :D ).

Honestly, maybe it was that whole "Weapon H series" thing that reminded me how money-grabbing Marvel is today- you bet it made me want to snikt and smash *SQUEE*, specially the editors at Marvel.

But, like I always say, we all know where the good stuff of old is and gosh darn it, I do love the MCU. Win, win of sorts. :thumb:
You touch on another aspect of the nature of "corporate comics" that, in addition to what IMJ said above, has really ruined modern Marvel comics (for my tastes anyway, not really judging anyone who is into the current stuff).

These characters are approaching 60 years of continuous published stories without either ever really changing too significantly, or changing so radically that they are no longer appealing in some way. That's a double-edged sword of expectation, I realize.

But really, they've all been around for too long for anyone to continue to expect great new things from them still - it's a symptom of the nature of the beast here. At this point it's all part of a ghastly, bloated, grandiose soap opera that is collapsing under the weight of its own history. What is really left to tell with any of these characters that hasn't already been told? What can you do at this point without it being grossly gimmicky or re-hashed in some manner?

I am still a fan of decades-worth of Marvel comics, and I truly enjoy going back to re-read tons of old comics all the time. Realizing that there are things that will likely never change about the nature of the business, I feel very free from needing to continue to buy into new comics from Marvel. Haven't done so in 5+ years now.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

its odd marvel would be money grabbing as a comic company anymore its more a sorce material for movies id assume disney would be fine with breaking even for material reasons for movie material

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

ShadowTuga wrote:
WrathOfArmstrong wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. The Ellis run is definitely unique... even for what I come to expect from Ellis. Loved it. Will be digging deeper.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

... and Legacy is gone. NOW! we will have to suffer another BIG reboot, all for the new and lapsed readers. Fresh Start. facepalm Everytime a Movie makes a Big Splash, here we go- lapsed readers' bulls***.
Quesada just spills the same BS every other 2 years, it appears. So done with these *SQUEE* moneygrabbers, I swear.
I will finish the Astonishing and Gold books with the X-men and then I'm really done and done with this *SQUEE*.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/20 ... new-video/
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

ShadowTuga wrote:... and Legacy is gone. NOW! we will have to suffer another BIG reboot, all for the new and lapsed readers. Fresh Start. facepalm Everytime a Movie makes a Big Splash, here we go- lapsed readers' bulls***.
Quesada just spills the same BS every other 2 years, it appears. So done with these *SQUEE* moneygrabbers, I swear.
I will finish the Astonishing and Gold books with the X-men and then I'm really done and done with this *SQUEE*.

Marvel reminds me of the local furniture stores who are always "Going Out of Business!!" every 3-4 months...
***Support your local farmers!***

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

geocarr wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:... and Legacy is gone. NOW! we will have to suffer another BIG reboot, all for the new and lapsed readers. Fresh Start. facepalm Everytime a Movie makes a Big Splash, here we go- lapsed readers' bulls***.

Marvel reminds me of the local furniture stores who are always "Going Out of Business!!" every 3-4 months...
And that freaking store only has these cheap hipster bean bags to show. Lots of fluff, but nothing you could actually sit on for a long time.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

facepalm

More and more reasons every day to basically drop new comics altogether and turn to a certain era of collecting.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

IMJ wrote:

facepalm

More and more reasons every day to basically drop new comics altogether and turn to a certain era of collecting.
I will take it that you mean Marvel, only- am I wrong in remembering you liked current DC? :?
If that's the case, I think you are absolutely right. Marvel has been so damaged for the last 6/7 years, more since NOW! it is both confusing to newbs and unnerving for most of their loyal buyers. Its not just the renumbering and lost of what was promised like, months ago - no "wide events, whatsoever for at least a year"-, its yet again creative changes to books that were trying to find their foot, as I can tell from forums around. I was already bracing myself to cancel X-Men Gold once it hits 30, no biggie for me- I really made peace with the fact that this is not the same publisher I used to revere as a child. But they really could mnot care less for consistency and quality. The books that are good are short lived, sales and #1s with "all the cinema lookalikes you know" isd the mantra of the once-HoI..
They are Mickey Mouse. They are $$$$$$$$$$$$ and good for them, I guess, real bad for the "ancient" fans of these characters (when you had to actually read a comic to know who the f*** was Iron Man. Iron Man! :lol: ) who have been ignored for the longest time. I had hopes in early 2012, before that awful reboot that ruined my readings of the time, but 6 years later I am really tired of not seeing anything good stick for more than a year and a half, tops. Double shipping, one issue with rushed art and 3.99, *SQUEE* you very much!

DC is at least trying to entertain "comic book fans", they have stuff right now that's downright amazing and future classics like King's Batman and Mister Miracle, Priest's Deathstroke, even the current Superman line is widely regarded as "being great" (and there come the complaints about Bendis coming and just ignore the current series). Their movieverse is a failure for the moment, despite making huge amounts of money, but they are going their own way now with the Multiverse take on flicks, and even on the printed bizz the kids aged 10-14 or so are getting a new line of comics (Ink and Zoom). DC sells a lot on my store, and its my thing these days, so I'm a bit biased- thing is, I have a ton of Marvel reads in my curriculum to not have an opinion. :D
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

ShadowTuga wrote:
IMJ wrote:

facepalm

I will take it that you mean Marvel, only- am I wrong in remembering you liked current DC? :?
If that's the case, I think you are absolutely right. Marvel has been so damaged for the last 6/7 years, more since NOW! it is both confusing to newbs and unnerving for most of their loyal buyers. Its not just the renumbering and lost of what was promised like, months ago - no "wide events, whatsoever for at least a year"-, its yet again creative changes to books that were trying to find their foot, as I can tell from forums around. I was already bracing myself to cancel X-Men Gold once it hits 30, no biggie for me- I really made peace with the fact that this is not the same publisher I used to revere as a child. But they really could mnot care less for consistency and quality. The books that are good are short lived, sales and #1s with "all the cinema lookalikes you know" isd the mantra of the once-HoI..
They are Mickey Mouse. They are $$$$$$$$$$$$ and good for them, I guess, real bad for the "ancient" fans of these characters (when you had to actually read a comic to know who the f*** was Iron Man. Iron Man! :lol: ) who have been ignored for the longest time. I had hopes in early 2012, before that awful reboot that ruined my readings of the time, but 6 years later I am really tired of not seeing anything good stick for more than a year and a half, tops. Double shipping, one issue with rushed art and 3.99, *SQUEE* you very much!

DC is at least trying to entertain "comic book fans", they have stuff right now that's downright amazing and future classics like King's Batman and Mister Miracle, Priest's Deathstroke, even the current Superman line is widely regarded as "being great" (and there come the complaints about Bendis coming and just ignore the current series). Their movieverse is a failure for the moment, despite making huge amounts of money, but they are going their own way now with the Multiverse take on flicks, and even on the printed bizz the kids aged 10-14 or so are getting a new line of comics (Ink and Zoom). DC sells a lot on my store, and its my thing these days, so I'm a bit biased- thing is, I have a ton of Marvel reads in my curriculum to not have an opinion. :D
Big problem right now is that it looks like DC's about to relaunch a good chunk of their titles. It's looking rough all of a sudden.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

dornwolf wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
IMJ wrote:

facepalm

Big problem right now is that it looks like DC's about to relaunch a good chunk of their titles. It's looking rough all of a sudden.
Party pooper!!!! :D :kidaround:
You are also absolutely right, :D I haven't yet processed the fact that a brand new Justice League book by Snyder is coming, Priest's run on Slade might be over after the next arc and on the Gotham side of things, Tynion IV will wrap up his run in May. I think that King will stay on Batman for at least 6 more months (50 issues, more or less), and unfortunatley, Mister Miracle is a limited series, for the time being. We still have 0 clue on Doomsday Clock's "true intent" and what will be of the DCU after it. Detective Comics will hit the 1000th mark around the time the series is wrapping, hopefuly, and DC might do something a la new 52 again, with its oldest comic maybe really going to another volume. Disclaimer: I REALLY DO NOT WANT THAT. We can handle 4 digit numbered comics, DC!

On the New Age books: I will try Immortal Men because Jim Lee alone is almost the only reason I need to make me buy a comic, can't help it. :P I have seen The Silencer, but did not excite me as much as I expected. JRJR can be a hit or miss for me.
Its great that they are trying to emphasize artists on these books, but I have the feeling that save for IM, these characters might be forgotten a la Bloodlines' ones. Who the *SQUEE* remembers Gunfire or Argus? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sideways is a Spidey-with-Nightcrawler's powers rip-off, and Damage (V-Ditty writing it) seems like too much of another Jekyll & Hyde variation, and the guy relly looks like Grey Hulk. Like a lot. The reviews of the first books are not being that exciting, from what I can read.

That said, with all the new stuff - not even mentioning that Bendis might not just write 2 Superman comics, I smell a B-team book cooking- I STILL have faith in the editors of the Bat-books, and I DO trust Geoff Johns' reign until its over, hoping that the next Big Head at the publisher will be at least as good as he was and that GJ has left at least a how-to manual to the new guy(s)/gal(s). Gail Simone as EIC at DC, how awesome would that be? Specially after that Batgirl fist-fight. DC owns this lady a whole bucket of money, I never read a bad Simone book.
As an aside, its insane what Geoff Johns did for DC, there's really a pre and post Johns' era of DC comics. Not everything was superb, but damn, when it was good it was GOOD, OH SO GOOD!!!! JSA, NU52 JLA, Superman, Titans, Flash, Hawkman, Lanterns of all colors- Larfleeze is one of the best characters ever in the history of comics. Period!), *SQUEE* Aquaman as a true, regal badass and Big Events that were actually good and fun reads, ETC, ETC, ETC. I actually feel a bit sorry he did not write an ongoing with Bats. Earth One is excellent, but I would love to see a Batman monthly series by Johns.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

ShadowTuga wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
IMJ wrote:

facepalm

Party pooper!!!! :D :kidaround:
You are also absolutely right, :D I haven't yet processed the fact that a brand new Justice League book by Snyder is coming, Priest's run on Slade might be over after the next arc and on the Gotham side of things, Tynion IV will wrap up his run in May. I think that King will stay on Batman for at least 6 more months (50 issues, more or less), and unfortunatley, Mister Miracle is a limited series, for the time being. We still have 0 clue on Doomsday Clock's "true intent" and what will be of the DCU after it. Detective Comics will hit the 1000th mark around the time the series is wrapping, hopefuly, and DC might do something a la new 52 again, with its oldest comic maybe really going to another volume. Disclaimer: I REALLY DO NOT WANT THAT. We can handle 4 digit numbered comics, DC!

On the New Age books: I will try Immortal Men because Jim Lee alone is almost the only reason I need to make me buy a comic, can't help it. :P I have seen The Silencer, but did not excite me as much as I expected. JRJR can be a hit or miss for me.
Its great that they are trying to emphasize artists on these books, but I have the feeling that save for IM, these characters might be forgotten a la Bloodlines' ones. Who the *SQUEE* remembers Gunfire or Argus? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sideways is a Spidey-with-Nightcrawler's powers rip-off, and Damage (V-Ditty writing it) seems like too much of another Jekyll & Hyde variation, and the guy relly looks like Grey Hulk. Like a lot. The reviews of the first books are not being that exciting, from what I can read.

That said, with all the new stuff - not even mentioning that Bendis might not just write 2 Superman comics, I smell a B-team book cooking- I STILL have faith in the editors of the Bat-books, and I DO trust Geoff Johns' reign until its over, hoping that the next Big Head at the publisher will be at least as good as he was and that GJ has left at least a how-to manual to the new guy(s)/gal(s). Gail Simone as EIC at DC, how awesome would that be? Specially after that Batgirl fist-fight. DC owns this lady a whole bucket of money, I never read a bad Simone book.
As an aside, its insane what Geoff Johns did for DC, there's really a pre and post Johns' era of DC comics. Not everything was superb, but damn, when it was good it was GOOD, OH SO GOOD!!!! JSA, NU52 JLA, Superman, Titans, Flash, Hawkman, Lanterns of all colors- Larfleeze is one of the best characters ever in the history of comics. Period!), *SQUEE* Aquaman as a true, regal badass and Big Events that were actually good and fun reads, ETC, ETC, ETC. I actually feel a bit sorry he did not write an ongoing with Bats. Earth One is excellent, but I would love to see a Batman monthly series by Johns.
With Bendis getting full control of the Superman line dang right I'm a party pooper.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Maybe because the stuff by Bendis that I have actually read was stuff that I actually liked and I'm curious to see how he handles Superman and maybe it is because he is actually a GREAT writer too.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

This whole "SJW Marvel" is a load of crap. Marvel trolls their fans to get a rise out of them with stuff like:

Iron Man is dead and is replaced by a teenage black girl.
Captain America is a Hydra agent.
Wolverine is dead and is replaced by daughter and by an old man version from alternate timeline.
The Avengers are dead replaced by a group of supervillains.

If any of you actually believed that any of these changes or stunts would be permit then you are an idiot.

Or you get mad because Marvel turned a turned a third string character that no one cared about like Miss America in a bisexual Latino woman, or Pakistani-American teenager Ms. Marvel, and so on and they actually did something with that character you need to grow the f**k up.

Marvel isn't pandering to some "SJW liberal agenda" because that is a load nonsense, they pander to those who have money now and in 20 years. they trying to market their characters to a new younger audience that is more open-minded and wants to see themselves reflected in the media not to 40+ white guys who just want the same old characters in the same old stories but to their kids who are the next generation of comic book readers.

The same with DC, Valiant, Image, Dark Horse, IDW, and every other major publisher. Our day has the top dogs who comic book publishers pander to are just about done and frankly how we've acted as a fandom that is a GREAT thing because we acted like spoiled entitled brats and I say it's now it's time to let the next generation have their characters and stories their way without us dragging the comic book industry backwards.