Doomsday Clock

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Doomsday Clock

Post by BugsySig »

Anyone read the first issue? Some interesting stuff in there sparking a lot of speculation about what has and will happen. I didn’t read the Watchmen 2 books, trying to stay purist with the Alan Moore versions, but this series is peaking my interest a bit.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: Doomsday Clock

Post by ShadowTuga »

I posted this over the DC renumbering thread: :thumb:
possumgrease wrote:I enjoyed the first issue. Big fan of Moore and the original. This was something different.
Subscribe to every word.
Honestly, while there was excitement from my part, I'm a Watchmen fan and never touched the much maligned prequels of 5 years ago or so. I would like to keep the Watchmen world as pure as it came first. That said, Geoff I trust. I really, really do.

But this is not trying to up Watchmen, it's not deconstructing superheroes or anything that smart. It's a (so far) intriguing new story with these characters. I was hoping to see a connection here, but it is building slowly, I get that. I just got really excited when we, readers, arrived at Metropolis. How's the Kent's death related to this- if it is related, not a false clue

Of course, the fact that there's a new Rorschach guy (so... is it the mask that makes a Rorschach speak funny, or what the *SQUEE* is this guy anyway?) and he's working with Ozzy... those were the biggest surprises, of course. Plot-wise, I have no idea where this is going right now, but I'm pumped for it. Geoff Johns wrote a really creepy scene (the guard about to get gang-raped) and a really hilarious one on this issue (the Mime guy picking his guns :lol: :lol: :lol: ), and overall the writing is very good, as expected, even though the first panels were a bit "weird" to read (Non-Moore Rorschach is a bit of a joke among comic fans, we even had a thread here dedicated to that 8-) )
Art is fantastic, Franks is a beast.
If I had to give a number to this firstie: 8 out of 10, easily.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

BugsySig
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

ShadowTuga wrote:I posted this over the DC renumbering thread: :thumb:
possumgrease wrote:I enjoyed the first issue. Big fan of Moore and the original. This was something different.
Subscribe to every word.
Honestly, while there was excitement from my part, I'm a Watchmen fan and never touched the much maligned prequels of 5 years ago or so. I would like to keep the Watchmen world as pure as it came first. That said, Geoff I trust. I really, really do.

But this is not trying to up Watchmen, it's not deconstructing superheroes or anything that smart. It's a (so far) intriguing new story with these characters. I was hoping to see a connection here, but it is building slowly, I get that. I just got really excited when we, readers, arrived at Metropolis. How's the Kent's death related to this- if it is related, not a false clue

Of course, the fact that there's a new Rorschach guy (so... is it the mask that makes a Rorschach speak funny, or what the *SQUEE* is this guy anyway?) and he's working with Ozzy... those were the biggest surprises, of course. Plot-wise, I have no idea where this is going right now, but I'm pumped for it. Geoff Johns wrote a really creepy scene (the guard about to get gang-raped) and a really hilarious one on this issue (the Mime guy picking his guns :lol: :lol: :lol: ), and overall the writing is very good, as expected, even though the first panels were a bit "weird" to read (Non-Moore Rorschach is a bit of a joke among comic fans, we even had a thread here dedicated to that 8-) )
Art is fantastic, Franks is a beast.
If I had to give a number to this firstie: 8 out of 10, easily.
The prevailing theory is Dr. M has been interfering in the DCU in order to make it “perfect”. Possibly including killing the Kents in order to influence Supes development.

As for Rorschach I’m thinking it’s the son of the prison psychiatrist.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

ill get it in a few days and see not having a ton of expectations

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

I dug it, very intriguing, but it lacks in the subtle touches and nuances of the original. It feels much more on the rails than the original did; they will never truly compare.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

i dont think any new issue will be hailed as good as the original run its just too loved and respected even something cool as jim lees batman run can no compair and thats a hell of a run as well

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

They are begging for comparisons with the source material, framing it as a sequel of sorts, they better try to match or surpass the quality of the original, otherwise there is very little point to doing it artistically. I'm sure Moore is spitting venom all over it. ;)

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

moore spits venom alot, all over dc has for a long time

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

superman-prime wrote:moore spits venom alot, all over dc has for a long time
They deserve it.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

not arguing the reasoning :lol: :lol: :lol:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

This will now be an every-other-month (bimonthly? :? ) after the gap between #4 and #5. Seems like this will be over only in 2019. Which sucks big time, but I'll take that over rushed art or story in order to meet deadlines.

I am so into this story, so far it has been everything I wanted from it. No comparison to the OG series, of course, that is a masterpiece. But it feels important, it looks seriously *SQUEE* amazing and it has been very respectful of Moore/Gibbons' work, in the sense that it acknowledges the "outside" factor this series brought to DC. Its a different universe from DC's main one and we are reminded why.

Among all the cool stuff that has already happened, Batman and NuRorschach's bit was just hilarious, I really loled with the pancakes scene.

And the breakout character to me, so far, is actually a brand new one (Mime- probable conection to standard DC Joker? It's so obvious that it can't be. Can it? :hm:). I want to see more of that guy and his crazy wife. And I am loving the connection between them and Doc as the glue that gets the group together, for starters.
Great Geoff Johns, you did it again!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I noticed the series on the shelf at my lcs the other day - I didn't clue in that Gary Frank was drawing it. Man, I love that dudes art!! It made me realize I miss reading books drawn by him.

Not sure if it's quite enough to convince me to check it out though... I really feel like Watchmen was a epic stand-alone event that should just be left as the only story necessary in that setting.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:I noticed the series on the shelf at my lcs the other day - I didn't clue in that Gary Frank was drawing it. Man, I love that dudes art!! It made me realize I miss reading books drawn by him.

Not sure if it's quite enough to convince me to check it out though... I really feel like Watchmen was a epic stand-alone event that should just be left as the only story necessary in that setting.
The art is as you would expect, crazy good. There's a sequence withOzzy and Blake in issue #3 that is just visual poetry in places.

I just read the latest, another great freaking comic. Batman is an a-hole, I was not expecting that twist. And I assume its safe to say that we now know who Doc was? The actor who "died" and had a secret room with clocks?

EDIT - Right, forgot about the bit where we find out that the Comedian did not die from a straight fall. He's taken to the main DCU by Doc and therefore, did not die. Yet. This might be too much for some people, I do not mind. I expect that Doc has this controlled and will return the dead body of Blake to the Watchmen universe, if he doesn't put him in the place where he plucked him (mid-air on its way to die).

Also, if you see people wondering what is it with Bats new getups, hear me out: Superman is back on the trunks this year, the 1000th issue year. Batman is next in '19, I can see the rebirth suit going away by then (I like it, like so many people, but its not "classic" with all the purple on the cape and the yellow kinda forced into its lines. Looks busy.) and replaced with this version, that, as far as I can see, its basically Gary Frank's Earth-One design. No I don't believe this is Earth One, you should not as well. Just a costume change for the special issue and forward, I'd bet my entire collection of Batman stuff. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I noticed the series on the shelf at my lcs the other day - I didn't clue in that Gary Frank was drawing it. Man, I love that dudes art!! It made me realize I miss reading books drawn by him.

The art is as you would expect, crazy good. There's a sequence withOzzy and Blake in issue #3 that is just visual poetry in places.

I just read the latest, another great freaking comic. Batman is an a-hole, I was not expecting that twist. And I assume its safe to say that we now know who Doc was? The actor who "died" and had a secret room with clocks?

EDIT - Right, forgot about the bit where we find out that the Comedian did not die from a straight fall. He's taken to the main DCU by Doc and therefore, did not die. Yet. This might be too much for some people, I do not mind. I expect that Doc has this controlled and will return the dead body of Blake to the Watchmen universe, if he doesn't put him in the place where he plucked him (mid-air on its way to die).

Also, if you see people wondering what is it with Bats new getups, hear me out: Superman is back on the trunks this year, the 1000th issue year. Batman is next in '19, I can see the rebirth suit going away by then (I like it, like so many people, but its not "classic" with all the purple on the cape and the yellow kinda forced into its lines. Looks busy.) and replaced with this version, that, as far as I can see, its basically Gary Frank's Earth-One design. No I don't believe this is Earth One, you should not as well. Just a costume change for the special issue and forward, I'd bet my entire collection of Batman stuff. :thumb:
It's not Earth-One, the Alfred is a dead give away on that. Apparently whoever did the cover tweeted out that well they did the cover and only found out later about the redesign. Plus the book is delayed already so adjust your math accordingly.

As for the issues it self, mainly Batman, I'm not surprised he locked his *SQUEE* up. Dude read Kovacs journal there's no way for Batman to tell if this Rorschach is the guy who wrote the journal or not. He's sees a a lunatic who broke into his cave and is rambling and a serious danger.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

dornwolf wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:

It's not Earth-One, the Alfred is a dead give away on that. Apparently whoever did the cover tweeted out that well they did the cover and only found out later about the redesign. Plus the book is delayed already so adjust your math accordingly.

As for the issues it self, mainly Batman, I'm not surprised he locked his *SQUEE* up. Dude read Kovacs journal there's no way for Batman to tell if this Rorschach is the guy who wrote the journal or not. He's sees a a lunatic who broke into his cave and is rambling and a serious danger.
I actually bought it because:
a) I thought he was taking the guy who broke into the Manor as a not-your-reg-loony guy.
b) He read the journal through and Bats is more than aware of the multiverse and its crazy *SQUEE*.
c) When they go to Arkham I was thinking that we might see someone like the Psycho Pirate, who remembers everything from pre-COIE. I think he was arrested in King's run, but he might have died, not sure right now. Psycho Pirate's medusa mask is "something else". Maybe it was from the Watchmen world.
d) The bit with the grapnel guns (how cool is that panel with both of them crouched- THAT COOOL!!!! :D ), being hilarious put my last guard down- I was so entertained I forgot about the big picture which is

Batman is taking a crazy guy into Arkham, of freaking course.
Duh!
Yamamoto Tsunetomo