DC Comics Relaunching Everything In June

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: DC Comics Relaunching Everything In June

Post by ShadowTuga »

edited.
Last edited by ShadowTuga on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:53:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

edited.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:53:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Edited, and let's move on. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Dr. Solar wrote:
X-O HoboJoe wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:I read this Rebirth one-shot.

It was ok. It felt a bit like watching a magician perform and I knew how he did all of his tricks.

There is a way this could all go down though that would be incredible. It won't go that way though.
Don't tease, Tito -- Let's hear it. :thumb:
First, the heroes of the DC Universe learn that many of the events and changes that have gone down - Flashpoint, New 52, Rebirth, have all been influenced by a connection between the Watchmen Universe and the DC Universe proper.

The heroes of the DC Universe fight those anti-heroes from the Watchmen Universe, specifically Dr Manhattan. At the culmination of this big event, the DC Universe Heroes are able to close the connection between the DC Universe and the Watchmen Universe for good, so that nothing from the Watchmen Universe can have any effect and influence on the DC Universe. The ability for the Watchmen Universe and the DC Universe to interact closes. Forever.

When the final issue comes out, DC announces that they are going to stop printing Watchmen.

(Famously, the rights to Watchmen revert to Alan Moore when Watchmen goes out of print, which has never happened)

In this way, the entire event becomes a metaphor for ending both the creative influence that Watchmen has had on DC comics, and comics in general, as well as a metaphor for the business impact Watchmen has had.

The story, the meta story, and the meta-meta story would all mirror each other in an amazing, sublime way.

Of course, DC would never do that.
That really should happen.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

I know it's not going to be a popular opinion but I'm genuinely excited for Doomsday Clock. It's being marketed as a direct sequel to Watchmen so I'm curious to see how it goes.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

dornwolf wrote:I know it's not going to be a popular opinion but I'm genuinely excited for Doomsday Clock. It's being marketed as a direct sequel to Watchmen so I'm curious to see how it goes.
I'm with you, 'wolf. I honestly can't wait to see what a confrontation between Manhattan and Supes would be. The Doc is the baddie, he must be stopped- now how the hell do you do that, with the characters of the DCU?! Luthor? I honestly see that as an option- if well written, a dialogue between baldie and blue baldie would be amazing comic book food for thought (the whole playing God, being human, etc). Not the most exciting, but it is more logical than a slugfest, which would be beyond ridiculous.
I really can't wait. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I'm curious about Doomsday Clock Johns as always been a hit-and-miss writer for me but I've always loved Gary Frank's artwork.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Cyberstrike wrote:I'm curious about Doomsday Clock Johns as always been a hit-and-miss writer for me but I've always loved Gary Frank's artwork.
I kind of agree at least about Johns anyway, I found his New 52 stuff below what he's actually capable of, while Gary Franks art has actually been kind of a turn off for me. I just don't like how the dude draws faces.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I don't know if somebody mentioned it earlier:

Apparently, the hand might just be the doc's hand, instead of the presence.

Wow. :o
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

ShadowTuga wrote:I don't know if somebody mentioned it earlier:

Apparently, the hand might just be the doc's hand, instead of the presence.

Wow. :o
That's been a popular theory for a while now. I hope it's not true. I really really don't like the idea that Manhattan created the DC Universe. I don't mind messing with it, stealing time kind of thing, but the theory he could've created the Universe it self is literally a step to far.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Today's the day! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can't wait for this to be available in Comixology (usually they post the new books at earlier afternoon from this side of the woods, 9 pm ET, I think), will read it asap.

EDIT - Already is available, forgot about the midnight release. :high-five:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

watchmen everywhere the last few years before and now this stuff not sure i i like it but im still a few years back anyway now i dont even know waht number 1 to buy at this point

possumgrease
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I enjoyed the first issue. Big fan of Moore and the original. This was something different.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

possumgrease wrote:I enjoyed the first issue. Big fan of Moore and the original. This was something different.
Subscribe to every word.
Honestly, while there was excitement from my part, I'm a Watchmen fan and never touched the much maligned prequels of 5 years ago or so. I would like to keep the Watchmen world as pure as it came first. That said, Geoff I trust. I really, really do.

But this is not trying to up Watchmen, it's not deconstructing superheroes or anything that smart. It's a (so far) intriguing new story with these characters. I was hoping to see a connection here, but it is building slowly, I get that. I just got really excited when we, readers, arrived at Metropolis. How's the Kent's death related to this- if it is related, not a false clue

Of course, the fact that there's a new Rorschach guy (so... is it the mask that makes a Rorschach speak funny, or what the *SQUEE* is this guy anyway?) and he's working with Ozzy... those were the biggest surprises, of course. Plot-wise, I have no idea where this is going right now, but I'm pumped for it. Geoff Johns wrote a really creepy scene (the guard about to get gang-raped) and a really hilarious one on this issue (the Mime guy picking his guns :lol: :lol: :lol: ), and overall the writing is very good, as expected, even though the first panels were a bit "weird" to read (Non-Moore Rorschach is a bit of a joke among comic fans, we even had a thread here dedicated to that 8-) )
Art is fantastic, Franks is a beast.
If I had to give a number to this firstie: 8 out of 10, easily.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

geoff is as good as it gets he has just done amaing in all his stuff now if i can just forgive him the GL movie