DC Comics Relaunching Everything In June

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval
Re: DC Comics Relaunching Everything In June

Post by Psiot X »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Psiot X wrote:I will say that as an older reader there is a certain comfort and affirmation in not reading Iron Man for fifteen years and then picking up a book today to find what our old favorite Tony Stark is up to. Comic books themselves have taught us that the characters are timeless. They don't age and seem to change only enough to meet the times they are printed in. It's the same character you loved on a new adventure. It's part of why I find legacy to be a myth and that swapping hammer, ring, armor, X around is foolish. In truth you have made that hammer, ring, armor et al the main character of your book while making the person dispensable. That doesn't work out in the end. Ever. It takes years to interest people in a new character enough to accept them and buy into them long term in your stable to have books centered around them. You might get some short term pluses with a swap but in the end its a screw job. People want the original back and forget the other person or junk that went away from the core of what made the character successful in the first place.

It's part of why I feel Rebirth is so successful and Civil War makes the Marvel U look like its falling apart in quality and sales. You just can't slap a mantle on some one and expect people to care. Amadeus Cho can be interesting but they failed to make him unique in his own right for example. He isn't the Hulk. He is just another wannabe tolerated while we wait for the real thing to come back and start reading something else.

We got real Superman. We got real Batman. With all their cool history and interesting bits that made us care. Over there we got some kangaroo hopping around in some one else's clothes pretending to be the original.
Psiot, I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO THIS. I do get your pov.
BUT...
one of the most fun memories I ever had as a Batman reader (and that's decades now) was when Dick and Damian were the new Dynamic Duo. I NEVER expected to like them kids as I liked Bruce/Dick/Jason/Tim/Steph :lol: . It can work sometimes.
John Stewart is another case of a legacy character that in many ways, is as cool as Hal. Guy and Kyle, not so much.
I know. But It occurred to me just now to wonder, who reads comic books anymore? Times have changed. And the answer I get is older teens and midlife adults or old collectors... Nostalgia and comfort keeps the industry alive and a new break in requires catering to that audience. The kids got electronic media stuff like Pokemon Go and visit the movie theater with mom and dad or watch an anime toon on da Youtube.

whovian
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by whovian »

I'm still buying all the Rebirth titles. The only books I'm not liking are New Superman, Hellblazer, Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Hal Jordan. Would have dumped all those, but would get less of a discount for dropping bundles to get individual titles, so no gain by dropping anything. Sigh.

Have to admit I'm only just now warming up to the various Superman books. The writers have spent too much time playing in Death of Superman territory, and what they're doing now is nowhere near as good as that epic story.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Seeing articles over on Bleeding Cool about the current storyline in Superman and Bateman/Flash and how they are attempting to restore the continuity of the DCU as part of Rebirth... makes me somewhat wish I was reading these comics. I dig this kinda stuff, and it's cool to see them trying to get back to the roots after the Nu52.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Keith wrote:Seeing articles over on Bleeding Cool about the current storyline in Superman and Bateman/Flash and how they are attempting to restore the continuity of the DCU as part of Rebirth... makes me somewhat wish I was reading these comics. I dig this kinda stuff, and it's cool to see them trying to get back to the roots after the Nu52.
I've basically called Rebirth Geoff Johns apology letter. Everything that *SQUEE* people off is basically being waved away. We're still in Nu52 territory but it's much stronger thanks to basically grafting on what was missing. Is there anything god somewhat interested in? Rebirth has helped everything come along way and there might be something.

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

dornwolf wrote:
Keith wrote:Is there anything god somewhat interested in? Rebirth has helped everything come along way and there might be something.
I have it on good authority that Divinity is a My Little Pony fan, but I digress... :kidaround:

I don't think I can pinpoint any title I'm specifically interested in. It's like I'm more just interested in seeing how the major changes/events go down, regardless of title.

I did pick up The Button issues so far. Intriguing stuff!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Keith wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
Keith wrote:Is there anything god somewhat interested in? Rebirth has helped everything come along way and there might be something.
I have it on good authority that Divinity is a My Little Pony fan, but I digress... :kidaround:

I don't think I can pinpoint any title I'm specifically interested in. It's like I'm more just interested in seeing how the major changes/events go down, regardless of title.

I did pick up The Button issues so far. Intriguing stuff!
Just finished reading Batman #21 (part 1 of The Button): this was great. I loved everything in it. Kinda dumb comment, but yeah, for a first issue of an event that it is shaping the DCU (or at least, will shed some light on how we got here), I really, honestly, loved all of it. Great stuff with the art and its obvious reference, and great way to tell a story, with the countdown thing. I will buy the Flash issue this week, even if i'm not reading that series.
This is a must-read if you liked Rebirth, not only because its the next chapter, but it promises to be great comic book stuff.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Well the DC is officially on the clock.

Superman vs Doctor Manhattan, Doomsday Clock,

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/14 ... ne-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

I'm so glad that the whole watchmen thing will have superman be center piece, it's been a long time since this was a thing. Lately Batman always has to be in the center of it all even when it isn't needed.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

dornwolf wrote:
Keith wrote:Seeing articles over on Bleeding Cool about the current storyline in Superman and Bateman/Flash and how they are attempting to restore the continuity of the DCU as part of Rebirth... makes me somewhat wish I was reading these comics. I dig this kinda stuff, and it's cool to see them trying to get back to the roots after the Nu52.
I've basically called Rebirth Geoff Johns apology letter. Everything that *SQUEE* people off is basically being waved away. We're still in Nu52 territory but it's much stronger thanks to basically grafting on what was missing. Is there anything god somewhat interested in? Rebirth has helped everything come along way and there might be something.

I think where New 52 failed was trying to make every DC superhero be like Batman tone wise (grim, dark, and serious) while I still maintain that some heroes actually work better being tone wise like Batman or even darker than Batman (like characters like Green Arrow, Aquaman, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, and Suicide Squad should be darker tone wise than Batman) others it just doesn't work for the entire Superman family (this includes Supergirl, Superboy, Superwoman, Steel, Lois Lane, etc), Wonder Woman, The Flash, and Green Lantern. Hell even within the Batman family some of his sidekicks and spin-offs shouldn't be as dark as he is Batgirl, Batwoman, Nightwing, and Robin (Tim Drake).

Making everybody grim dark sourpuss where characters can't make jokes or smile is stupid.

My concern is that Johns is now going in the opposite direction and trying to make every DC superhero like Superman and his family which is just as bad because some characters don't work well as light and fluffy characters: Batman, Green Arrow, John Constantine, Suicide Squad, Aquaman, Swamp Thing, and Animal Man.

Making everybody a light and fluffy comedian who can't take anything seriously is equally stupid.

I long for the days when DC superheroes had a wide range tone for their characters from grim dark to funny light hearted characters and all points in-between and that was IMHO part of the fun and charm of pre-Flashpoint DCU and that is something I think is lost and no creator, no matter talented they are, will be able to bring it back.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

dornwolf wrote:Well the DC is officially on the clock.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/14 ... ne-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How would it even be a vs? The Dr is basically a god,if he can create life, he can easily dispense of Superman.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

maraxusofkeld wrote:
dornwolf wrote:Well the DC is officially on the clock.

How would it even be a vs? The Dr is basically a god,if he can create life, he can easily dispense of Superman.
Dissolve Superman at an atomic or molecular level. No coming back from that, I don't care how much yellow sun radiation you absorb.

If you really need to, disperse the atoms or molecules across several star systems, even if they are in several-kilogram clumps each. There is plenty of Kryptonian to go around.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:I read this Rebirth one-shot.

It was ok. It felt a bit like watching a magician perform and I knew how he did all of his tricks.

There is a way this could all go down though that would be incredible. It won't go that way though.
Don't tease, Tito -- Let's hear it. :thumb:
First, the heroes of the DC Universe learn that many of the events and changes that have gone down - Flashpoint, New 52, Rebirth, have all been influenced by a connection between the Watchmen Universe and the DC Universe proper.

The heroes of the DC Universe fight those anti-heroes from the Watchmen Universe, specifically Dr Manhattan. At the culmination of this big event, the DC Universe Heroes are able to close the connection between the DC Universe and the Watchmen Universe for good, so that nothing from the Watchmen Universe can have any effect and influence on the DC Universe. The ability for the Watchmen Universe and the DC Universe to interact closes. Forever.

When the final issue comes out, DC announces that they are going to stop printing Watchmen.

(Famously, the rights to Watchmen revert to Alan Moore when Watchmen goes out of print, which has never happened)

In this way, the entire event becomes a metaphor for ending both the creative influence that Watchmen has had on DC comics, and comics in general, as well as a metaphor for the business impact Watchmen has had.

The story, the meta story, and the meta-meta story would all mirror each other in an amazing, sublime way.

Of course, DC would never do that.

maraxusofkeld
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Dr. Solar wrote:
X-O HoboJoe wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:I read this Rebirth one-shot.

It was ok. It felt a bit like watching a magician perform and I knew how he did all of his tricks.

There is a way this could all go down though that would be incredible. It won't go that way though.
Don't tease, Tito -- Let's hear it. :thumb:
First, the heroes of the DC Universe learn that many of the events and changes that have gone down - Flashpoint, New 52, Rebirth, have all been influenced by a connection between the Watchmen Universe and the DC Universe proper.

The heroes of the DC Universe fight those anti-heroes from the Watchmen Universe, specifically Dr Manhattan. At the culmination of this big event, the DC Universe Heroes are able to close the connection between the DC Universe and the Watchmen Universe for good, so that nothing from the Watchmen Universe can have any effect and influence on the DC Universe. The ability for the Watchmen Universe and the DC Universe to interact closes. Forever.

When the final issue comes out, DC announces that they are going to stop printing Watchmen.

(Famously, the rights to Watchmen revert to Alan Moore when Watchmen goes out of print, which has never happened)

In this way, the entire event becomes a metaphor for ending both the creative influence that Watchmen has had on DC comics, and comics in general, as well as a metaphor for the business impact Watchmen has had.

The story, the meta story, and the meta-meta story would all mirror each other in an amazing, sublime way.

Of course, DC would never do that.

And to think, this is certainly better than anything DC will come up with. Great idea!

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

So I ordered some Rebirth stuff when the relaunch was new as DCBS had a few cheaper bundles. This is months ago mind you, as in the DC Rebirth books generally dated November and December 2016.

Well, my read pile is outlandishly big and I just got around to thumbing through Teen Titans #1 (2016) and man is that a gorgeously illustrated book. It reminds of Joe Madureira, but with colors that leave a cushy animated/anime feel about the title. I haven't read the issue beyond thumbing through it looking at the art, but I'm considering building the run and checking it out - it's that good looking of a book.

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

I'm happy they are bringing Hawkman and Swamp Thing back; otherwise not into DC at all outside of the occasional Batman comic. I dig the Dark Night Metal thing but fear it might get too convoluted at the end. Swamp Thing is a more speculative return on my part, but Greg Capullo has been dropping major hints about it.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Today was LCS day for me, and I actually asked about how DC is doing, coming Doomsday Clock and the Dark Matter line.
One of the guys told me that almost every regular DC guy ordered EVERYTHING; mind you, they do not BS me, in fact we have a great, honest store-customer relation. When the "Next Big S***!!!" books bomb, they always let me know how that works for them. Marvel has been on their mouths a lot for the last 5 years or so.

But, yeah, DC has a lot of customers in the store (perhaps a couple hundred regulars) and this next move seems to be playing really well- I haven't seen the guys' enthusiasm since the first 6 months or so of the New 52, when the freaking store would be packed any given day.

I asked also because those Immortal Men characters look really freaking great- Jim Lee Great. If there's an american comics' artist who brings with him a wave of enthusiasm like no other, since the 90s, Jim Lee; the only JLA book I ever bought on a monthly basis was his and Geoff Johns' book. And honestly, save for some fun stuff in the first arc (the basis for the movie, I easily bet my Bat-credit card), I bought that book only for the time that Lee was on it. He's the type of artist that makes. Pretty. Comics. I loved W.I.L.D.Cats when I first read it, plot be damned, so... :lol: You get the idea.

The line seems really interesting, giving the idea it will be a sort of "New Universe"ish, honestly. It's DC, and there will be interactions with the main continuity, but it feels like its own thing. And the books are all tied, making it a micro-universe of sorts.

What do you guys think (if you read the previews for the line)?
I may go for Immortal Men for starters, but the assassin book that is tied to the Leviathan (Boss Talia, baby! :clap:) also looks very tasty. And V-Ditty is on the roster, also. Seriously, i'm more than tempted.

And Doomsday Clock might be the most awesome *SQUEE* that DC has pulled in 20 years or so, on their regular line.
Doc Manhattan vs Superman.
I know it is "wrong" (Moore purists, no need for egg throwing), but it's Doc Manhattan vs Superman. How can anyone who ever read a superhero comic as a kid/young adult be on the fence about this? You can always read Watchmen and be done with it. It's freaking comic book superhero stuff, elite style. I personally can't wait to for a battle between a godlike creature and... I guess a really godlike creature? :hm: Divinity IV. 8-)
I trust Geoff Johns to pull a really good story, honestly- the guy said he just decided to write it because the idea came to him and everyone at DC loved it. What I mean, this was not part of Rebirth's calendar, one year ago or so. Sounds like something that GJ thought was too good not to do. I mean, the dude knows what the Watchmen represent for so many comic book fans (and how bad Before... did) - I personally know a couple of friends who only have Watchmen in their collections of Manga. It really is a special book, and I trust DC on this. Rebirth #1 was a phenomenal comic, can't wait for more of this.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

ShadowTuga wrote:Today was LCS day for me, and I actually asked about how DC is doing, coming Doomsday Clock and the Dark Matter line.
One of the guys told me that almost every regular DC guy ordered EVERYTHING; mind you, they do not BS me, in fact we have a great, honest store-customer relation. When the "Next Big S***!!!" books bomb, they always let me know how that works for them.
Man, I don't think that anyone who follows this market even a little is surprised to hear that DC Comics is the brand that has been keeping print comics alive for the last couple of years. It's not that DC's execution has been perfect, but they haven't made the core mistakes even with their two linewide relaunches. The whole range of IP's are more inviting than Marvel's hostile liberal takeover has been.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

IMJ wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:Today was LCS day for me, and I actually asked about how DC is doing, coming Doomsday Clock and the Dark Matter line.
One of the guys told me that almost every regular DC guy ordered EVERYTHING; mind you, they do not BS me, in fact we have a great, honest store-customer relation. When the "Next Big S***!!!" books bomb, they always let me know how that works for them.
Man, I don't think that anyone who follows this market even a little is surprised to hear that DC Comics is the brand that has been keeping print comics alive for the last couple of years. They haven't been without mistakes, but even with their two linewide relaunches, the whole range of IP's are more inviting than Marvel's hostile liberal takeover has been.
Yeah, and they just nailed another surprise hit with the critics'- Tom King's Mister Miracle. Impossible to get a #1, around here. I am a Bats guy, but I almost never dip into other characters on a monthly basis (I get my elsewhere DC in TPBs or HCs) this Mister Miracle book and the upcoming Ragman make me want to read more DC outside Gotham (in Miracle's case, at least 8-) )

I am still expecting that the Legacy trend around the HoI will actually pay-off, if they just abandon major crossovers for 2 years, like they have been saying. I have been enjoying the new X-Men Gold and Astonishing but the mutants are their own thing, as always. I have 0 idea on what's happening on the main series in Venomverse, or Secret Empire. Outside the X-Men, I don't recognise most of the current Marvel, honestly. Never read a Jane Thor, Iron Riri or a Amadeus Hulk. Never will, unless some classic story comes out of it, and I hear about it later. I don't get why the Hulk works better as a korean teen.
Its weird, some 10 years ago (even 5), Marvel was actually still about "daring", instead of "pleasing". There's phenomenal comics in the first years of the millenium, some of the stuff post-Disassembled is right up there with the best- Planet Hulk, House of M, Civil War, Old Man Logan, all great comics, imho. I actually enjoyed a LOT of the X-Men books of this era, with Morrison and Whedon all the way to Schism and Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

I don't see the current state of the company as being one to give us anything artistically on that level again, linewide. Disney. The movies have won and honestly, I personally do not care that much. I know where the good stuff is and I really love a Marvel Universe superhero flick.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

I've also noticed that about Mister Miracle #1 too... very tough to find. I'm very curious how that book will turn out in the long run. Because it's a mini series, I'm guessing that it might fizzle on the market in the future, reflecting that it's a fad now. Especially if the series comes out in trade in the future and the speculator market gets their fix by checking it out that way. It seems that the Bronze Age Mr. Miracle #1 has been seeing some market pursuit lately though.... something to think about.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ShadowTuga wrote:And Doomsday Clock might be the most awesome *SQUEE* that DC has pulled in 20 years or so, on their regular line.
Doc Manhattan vs Superman.
I know it is "wrong" (Moore purists, no need for egg throwing), but it's Doc Manhattan vs Superman. How can anyone who ever read a superhero comic as a kid/young adult be on the fence about this? You can always read Watchmen and be done with it. It's freaking comic book superhero stuff, elite style. I personally can't wait to for a battle between a godlike creature and... I guess a really godlike creature? :hm: Divinity IV. 8-)
I trust Geoff Johns to pull a really good story, honestly- the guy said he just decided to write it because the idea came to him and everyone at DC loved it. What I mean, this was not part of Rebirth's calendar, one year ago or so. Sounds like something that GJ thought was too good not to do. I mean, the dude knows what the Watchmen represent for so many comic book fans (and how bad Before... did) - I personally know a couple of friends who only have Watchmen in their collections of Manga. It really is a special book, and I trust DC on this. Rebirth #1 was a phenomenal comic, can't wait for more of this.

Geoff Johns is a writer who is mixed results for me. He can deliver good stuff but not when he's writing the big event books. IMHO his events is where he constantly fails because he is changing the entire DCU to suit his whims and no one else. He loves Barry Allen and Hal Jordan and that is fine but he forgets that there are people like me who grew reading Wally West and Kyle Rayner and treats them as sidekicks and suck ups to Barry Allen and Hal Jordan and NOT as equals who have been proven that they are just as worthy, if not more worthy, as the Flash and the Green Lantern than Barry Allen and Hal Jordan ever were. To Geoff Johns he doesn't seem them as anything other than Kid Flash and waste. He never thinks that some comic book fans aren't Silver Age fans like him and I think he better be extra careful with Doomsday Clock because as good as he might be he is NO WHERE near as great Alan Moore is.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Not digging Icon and Rockets new looks. Screams Image 90’s. Either way hope for success for these. I have a Icon and Hardware trades and thought they were great so it’s cool to seek those characters again. Shame they aren’t stand alone graphic novels like they originally were announced. Hope this also doesn’t mean they can’t show up in the normal DC earth

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Just read Dark Knights: Metal 1 & 2. Most fun I had in comics this year, save for that TMNT/BTAS mini, perhaps. But this is something else, this is a BIG event done right. The premise is intriguing and the results so far vary from disturbing horror stuff to whacky all-out crazy superhero comics at their best. Batman riding a dino. The JL battling mechas on Warworld, then making their own "Voltron" guy (GL is the crotch of the league, of course :lol: ). Batman trying to go back in time by using Baby Darkseid's Omega sanction. Plastic Man is an egg. The Joker's a good guy. Then Barbatos and his dark knights- if you think an amalgam between Bats and Joker is "stupid, c'mon...", then you gotta read this. The Batman who Laughs is a freaking hit with me. Love the character's visuals and those Robins are damn disturbing.
This was the part that need more convincing from me at first glance, but I'm glad there's valid reasons for them to exist. It's crazy.

After years of super-serious identity, infinite, final, this-is-it Crisis, deaths, rapes, mindwipes, friends killing friends, *SQUEE* necrophiliacs, world-outside-your-window (no, thank you!) and all that jazz... this feels so refreshing. It's like a Silver Age book, but modern. I really needed a comic book as "dumb and fun" as this. Escapism done right.
11/10. Give me more.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

edited.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:52:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

'Strike, this is a message board for people with a common interest in Valiant comics.

You can't be too surprised at least one of the other members here wants to share his passion for another comic book. I have heard Tuga say he is unhappy with Batman books in the past.