Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Re: Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Post by Savant »

Elveen wrote:X-23 could , maybe, has the possibility, to approach Harley status.

The BIG difference I see is that overall, Harley has tons of female fans and X-23 has some. That could change, but right now Harley is prob 50/50 female to male fans. Also a lot of X-23's initial push has come from spec about her possibly being in the Wolvie movie / taking over for Wolvie once Hugh Jack is done. Harley's popularity comes from the Batman Adv cartoon. So X-23 is a maybe and Harley is an already happened.

But no doubt X-23 is quickly climbing the rankings of popular / peeps buying their books at a shows.
Speaking of Harley, I've noticed that Batman: Harley Quinn one-shot by Paul Dini, with the Alex Ross cover, is selling at probably an average of $250 for a mint copy.

I'm not really into selling comics, I predominantly collect for reading purposes (Yet I keep everything bagged/boarded due to being mildly OCD).......But considering I essentially bought that Harley one-shot around 7 years ago for $3 (Bought it in a $30 bundle with a bunch of other comics), I'm thinking I'll sell the book.

My main question is, what do you think the best time would be to sell it? Right now, while there's anticipation for the Suicide Squad film? Or around the first 1-3 weeks the movie is out?

I'm thinking of sending the comic to CGC, too, as it's pretty much a NM/M copy (I'll need to look it over first).....Although I'm wondering if sending a single comic to CGC is worth the bother.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Ok guys long time no post but a quick update. Wonder Woman rebirth white cover seems pretty scant, and if issue 1 is any indication this will be short lived. Shocked by Wonder Woman 91. Hard to find in high grade which I did not expect. I will post more later as my health is returning I am getting out more and getting back into the groove!

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

Savant wrote:
Elveen wrote:X-23 could , maybe, has the possibility, to approach Harley status.

The BIG difference I see is that overall, Harley has tons of female fans and X-23 has some. That could change, but right now Harley is prob 50/50 female to male fans. Also a lot of X-23's initial push has come from spec about her possibly being in the Wolvie movie / taking over for Wolvie once Hugh Jack is done. Harley's popularity comes from the Batman Adv cartoon. So X-23 is a maybe and Harley is an already happened.

But no doubt X-23 is quickly climbing the rankings of popular / peeps buying their books at a shows.
Speaking of Harley, I've noticed that Batman: Harley Quinn one-shot by Paul Dini, with the Alex Ross cover, is selling at probably an average of $250 for a mint copy.

I'm not really into selling comics, I predominantly collect for reading purposes (Yet I keep everything bagged/boarded due to being mildly OCD).......But considering I essentially bought that Harley one-shot around 7 years ago for $3 (Bought it in a $30 bundle with a bunch of other comics), I'm thinking I'll sell the book.

My main question is, what do you think the best time would be to sell it? Right now, while there's anticipation for the Suicide Squad film? Or around the first 1-3 weeks the movie is out?

I'm thinking of sending the comic to CGC, too, as it's pretty much a NM/M copy (I'll need to look it over first).....Although I'm wondering if sending a single comic to CGC is worth the bother.
Now would be the way to go. I read somewhere that books sell the best (meaning at their highest prices) within 30 days after a movie announcement has been made. You can't go wrong with Harley though. If SS is a hit (which is no guarantee), and with the popularity of her character, Harley may see her own film and prices will soar higher. If you had a BA 12, I would tell you to keep it. It is a keeper comic. IMHO, a 9.8 copy will be a 5 figure comic in the years to come.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

Savant

Post by Savant »

greatbrandino11 wrote:
Savant wrote:

Now would be the way to go. I read somewhere that books sell the best (meaning at their highest prices) within 30 days after a movie announcement has been made. You can't go wrong with Harley though. If SS is a hit (which is no guarantee), and with the popularity of her character, Harley may see her own film and prices will soar higher. If you had a BA 12, I would tell you to keep it. It is a keeper comic. IMHO, a 9.8 copy will be a 5 figure comic in the years to come.

Interesting.....Although it's not BA 12, I think I'll keep it. It's the first in-continuity appearance of Harley in the DCU, so I have to assume it'll soar in value, as well.

greatbrandino11

Savant wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:
Savant wrote:

Interesting.....Although it's not BA 12, I think I'll keep it. It's the first in-continuity appearance of Harley in the DCU, so I have to assume it'll soar in value, as well.
It will.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

greatbrandino11 wrote:
Savant wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:
Savant wrote:

It will.
Yes. Hold hold hold.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Quite a run on Amazing Spider-Man 265 ...

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

depluto wrote:Quite a run on Amazing Spider-Man 265 ...
Interesting...
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

depluto wrote:Quite a run on Amazing Spider-Man 265 ...
The rumors of a Silver Sable movie is making this move a lot

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ramses818

Post by Ramses818 »

Welcome back to the 90's everyone! I know variant fatigue is supposedly setting in but I would like to hear your thoughts on this. The 2 hottest variants with out a doubt are Batman Rebirth 1 Turner Variant and Batman Adventures 12 FanExpo variant. Both versions of each. For something that could be had for $10 or $20 they now sell for 5-10x that amount. I know that there are probably thousands of these. But what do you guys think? Variants are burning it up right now. What does this mean for the valiant convention variants (normally limited to about 500)?

Also Rebirth is doing very well across the board. All upticks. Sneaky book to watch of course is Rebirth 1 2nd print. A black cover square bound book that lots of stores did not order because of the $5.99 cover. Hard to find.

Marvel books killing it , Amazing Spider Man 654. Always hot but just on fire now with it doubling in price because of movie news. 2nd print is super scarce and getting $150 plus easy. With Spider Man appearing in Civil War (movie) all his books are catching heat. I expect big things from this series in the next 2 years...all issues are moving, even old $1 bin books are seeing increases (post 1990 to be clear).

I will share more soon, but as always movie rumor books are gold if you get them early enough!

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Variants are for sure HOT on the spec sites and some ebay sales (usually after being hyped on said spec sites).

I don't see that many peeps asking for them at shows, some, yes, but not many.

I'd advise - buy what you like. If you like $100+ variants, there are a lot to chose from. Will they always be $100+? Who knows?

The HOT comics that I see are what I call, "up and coming keys". Books like Warlock 9, 10, 11 or Power Man #48, #50, #54.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Why are those Power Mans key?

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I believe you mean Power Men.

Trenton Sy
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Trenton Sy »

#48 Power Man meets Iron Fist
#50 Title change to PM & IF
#54 first Heroes for Hire

#48 is the most sought after right now and the cover for 50 is classic 54 doesn't excite me as much but has been really heating up.
"Life is one's oppurtunity to change that which aflicts them" ~ Dr. Doom

Ramses818

Post by Ramses818 »

On a scale of hot...how about Uncanny Inhumans 11? The day it came out had a 2nd print because the book sold out. I went to 4 stores and no one had any. The new character is supposed to get its own series...but still, one to watch.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Ramses818 wrote:On a scale of hot...how about Uncanny Inhumans 11? The day it came out had a 2nd print because the book sold out. I went to 4 stores and no one had any. The new character is supposed to get its own series...but still, one to watch.
Be careful.

I'm with Punlic Enemy with this one.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

Ramses818 wrote:On a scale of hot...how about Uncanny Inhumans 11? The day it came out had a 2nd print because the book sold out. I went to 4 stores and no one had any. The new character is supposed to get its own series...but still, one to watch.
I was going pick one up, but it was sold out by 2:00 pm even in my little town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Captain Marvel 17 2nd print raw breaks $200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-MARVEL- ... SwuhhXXlHU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

A copy of Space Riders 1 from Black Mask Comics recently sold for $50 on eBay.

betterthanezra
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

StarBrand wrote:A copy of Space Riders 1 from Black Mask Comics recently sold for $50 on eBay.
:thumb:

Awesome I have a few of those

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greatbrandino11

Didn't take long for Invincible Iron Man 7 & 9, their variants, and 2nd prints to soar in price....

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

greatbrandino11 wrote:Didn't take long for Invincible Iron Man 7 & 9, their variants, and 2nd prints to soar in price....
I was just going to mention those early appearances of Riri Williams. :)

greatbrandino11

StarBrand wrote:
greatbrandino11 wrote:Didn't take long for Invincible Iron Man 7 & 9, their variants, and 2nd prints to soar in price....
I was just going to mention those early appearances of Riri Williams. :)
Sad thing is I pre-ordered these books way back around the 1st of the year knowing they were introducing a new character. I have several copies of each cover for issue 7 but I only purchased one copy of each cover for issue 9. I should have ordered more.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Smart move though. I bet most of us have none. Like me. Lol

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

From my experience the last few years , books like the Riri books NEVER hold value (or almost never). THey come and go.

The books that have really has a dramatic price increase , especially moderns are books no one was talking about and then it just happened.

If the spec sites are talking about it, it is often too late. Nothing against the spec sites, I like them. But you have to be before the game.

For dudes that have the Riri books, cool and I hope u make some quid.

Could the IM book become EoSV#2? Maybe. Or maybe not.