The DBS Collection Gallery

Users can share photos of their VALIANT collections, your own museum for everyone to tour. No comments allowed by visitors in the gallery threads, just your own space to show and describe your own collection. Free admission for everyone to "The VALIANT Gallery".

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Re: The DBS Collection Gallery

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Book of Death #1 (2015) Original Cover Art framed with all four original preliminary cover sketch concepts by Robert Gill.

One of the highest selling issues of the modern Valiant era, I was most fortunate to stumble across this cover when Robert was auctioning it on eBay. The auction was scheduled to end at or about lunchtime on Easter Sunday, which led me to predict that MOST people would be enjoying time with their respective families at the auction end time given the holiday and what not. However, I watched like a hawk and prepared a calculated bid sniping attack, to great effect.

Despite some resistance and small bidding war, I won the auction and was most pleased with Robert's inclusion of his preliminary cover sketch concepts.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Bloodshot: Reborn #13 (2015) Original Cover Art and matching signed color print by Mike Choi.

Mike titled this piece "Ashes to Ashes" on his website The Art of Mike Choi. I first became aware of Mike's work when I saw his published cover for X-O Manowar #43. I posted the published cover for X-O Manowar #43 on the Valiant Universe Instagram Fan Page, and it received the (at the time) highest number of "Likes" of any art I had posted at that point. This motivated me to seek out and contact Mike to see if the original cover artwork for X-O Manowar #43 had been completed digitally (as is often the case) or by hand.

As it turned out, Mike not only completed the artwork by hand (using graphite) but he still had it available. I purchased the cover for X-O Manowar #43, which he titled "Intertwined", and also Mike's original covers for Ninjak #14, which he titled "Shi", and this piece, Bloodshot: Reborn #13, which he titled "Ashes to Ashes"

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10:35 pm, edited 11 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Eternal Warrior #7 (2013) - Original (unpublished) Cover Art and (published) Cover Art framed with all four original preliminary cover sketch concepts by Lewis LaRosa.

One of the very first pieces I purchased from Lewis. After I received the cover, I was contacted and informed that Valiant was going to take a different direction with Eternal Warrior and that the artwork had to be re-drawn to reflect this. Lewis made the second cover available to me, which allowed this display to be created.

The initial unpublished cover depicted Gilad and his daughter, Xaran, on the field of battle in what appears to be a continuation of Greg Pak's "Sword of the Wild" story arc that unfolded in the pages of Eternal Warrior #1 through #4.

The final published cover depicted Gilad and his granddaughter, Caroline, on the field of battle in what became Greg Pak's "Eternal Emperor" story arc that unfolded in the pages of Eternal Warrior #5 through #8.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:09:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps: H.A.R.D. Corps #0 (2012) Original Cover Art framed with all four original preliminary cover sketch concepts by Lewis LaRosa.

One of the very first pieces I purchased from Lewis; possibly the first.

Interesting to note, that one of the four original preliminary cover sketch concepts was later modified and used as to create the cover of Eternal Warrior #8.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:15:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #22 (2012) Original Cover Art framed with the original preliminary cover sketch concept by Lewis LaRosa.

Shortly before this piece was drawn, Lewis and I were messaging each other back and forth online about reference material for Lewis's artwork. As a military officer with extensive background in weapons, gear, and equipment, I wanted to assist Lewis however possible with quality reference material so that his artwork (namely Bloodshot) was as realistic, modern, and "battlefield perfect" as it could be. The fruits of these discussions would later be evident in Lewis's phenomenal work on Bloodshot #25 where Bloodshot's boots, kneepads, holster, weapons, pants, and other associated gear all appropriately match the time and setting of the story.

With Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #22, this is evident in Lewis's depiction of Major Palmer's knife, as well as the Blackhawk thigh holster worn by Bloodshot.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:31:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Armor Hunters: Harbinger #1 (2014) Original Cover Art framed with the original preliminary cover sketch concept by Lewis LaRosa, and an uncut pre-production chromium flat cover.

This cover was created prior to Joshua Dysart's "Death of a Renegade" story arc that occurred in Harbinger #22. When you look at the final published cover, you see a number of characters that do not make sense in the context of the "Armor Hunters: Harbinger" story arc which did not feature Pete or Flamingo (SPOILER, she was dead by then). However, the cover CLEARLY depicted Pete, Flamingo, Faith, and Torque on the cover fighting alongside the Gen Zero kids.

The original preliminary cover sketch concept by Lewis LaRosa included notes that (likely) explain what likely occurred.

The original DID feature Pete; however, he was re-designated as Chronos (who really looks nothing like Pete at all. For example, Chronos is blond...) to match the story which DID NOT feature Pete. The cover art was not changed of course, and the result is that we see Pete, but are supposed to accept that it is Chronos.

A similar thing happened with Flamingo. At the time this cover was drawn, Flamingo was very much alive. However, by the time it was released, she was 100% dead following the events that occurred in "Death of a Renegade". Lewis's original preliminary cover sketch concept explains how Flamingo was re-designated as Telic to match the story which DID NOT feature Flamingo (since again, she was dead). The cover art was changed slightly (during the coloring process, Flamingo's red hair was changed to brown so that she could perhaps be recognized as Telic), and the result is that we see Flamingo, but are supposed to accept that it is Telic.

The notes "Keep Torque and Faith" indicate that there was never an intention to kill off either Torque or Faith in "Death of a Renegade".

For Harbinger fans during this time period who are intimately familiar with the different story arcs, this is a very interesting display piece.

Note that I won the chromium flat for a different issue in a Valiant Fans contest; however, Bruce Hartshorn was kind enough to trade with me so that the matching chromium flat would be able to be included in the final display as seen below.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:56:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Savage #1 (2016) Original (Published) Cover Art, (Scrapped) cover art, and hand-written creator notes framed with all four original preliminary cover sketch concepts by Lewis LaRosa.

This is the 1st appearance of Savage.

Lewis's creator notes say:
"When Warren Simmons asked me to design Savage and his parents, I had no idea that he was a Turok analog of any kind, which I can appreciate looking back. Instead I was told about how his parents were rich and famous, how they crashed on an island, how the boy grew up feral - the impression I got was "Jungle Book" set in the VU. Right up my alley. Initially, the boy started off as a 10 yo but was later asked to make him 15. Turns out it's a really tough age to nail for me! Which is why I scrapped my first attempt at the cover. I struggled with that first draft to long, eating up the day of the deadline. Frustrated and running on fumes, I scrapped it at 3 am, pulled out another sheet, and banged out the final cover by lunchtime. I actually feel he looks a little too young here, but hopefully I'll be able to work it out on the interiors. I feel like editorial picked the most generic layout for this cover, but they wanted a good, clear shot for Savage's introduction to the world."

- Lewis LaRosa
7 - 20 - 16
The good news is that Lewis got his wish in the end anyhow. Of the four original preliminary cover sketch concepts, three would be used for the published covers.
  • Option A => Savage #1
    Option B => Savage #2
    Option C => Savage #3
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:14:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Imperium #11 (2015) - Original Cover Art framed with all five original preliminary cover sketch concepts by Carlos Alberto Fernández Urbano (CAFU).

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Divinity #3 (2015) Original Cover Art framed with hand-written creator notes by Lewis LaRosa.

Late in 2015, oa hunch, I reached out to "Sonic" Dan to see if perhaps LaRosa's original cover art for Divinity #3 was still available. Of all the artwork for the series, this cover was the only one that I (and many others) had not seen the original un-colored art for. "Sonic" Dan confirmed that color artist Brian Reber (who colored the published cover) owned the original cover art, so I contacted Reber directly to inquire. As it turned out, Reber still had the cover in his home (about an hour away from LaRosa's home).

What had happened (as confirmed by a discussion I had with LaRosa) was that LaRosa's scanner was broken, with (of course) the publishing deadline for Divinity #3 (LaRosa 1:20 Variant) quickly approaching. Reber still had to color the cover digitally before sending to Valiant Entertainment. Reber drove accross town (in the rain) and picked-up the cover from LaRosa's home. Due to the rain, LaRosa placed the cover art into a large garbage bag (so that it would not get wet), and Reber returned home where he scaned and colored it (that same night) to make the publishing deadline. LaRosa did not return to pick up the original cover art (it remained in a garbage bag on Reber's drafting table for nearly 8 months) until I asked about it in December of 2015.

LaRosa and Reber spoke, and a deal was offered to me for the cover for an "undisclosed" amount. Along with the original cover art, LaRosa also provided a hand-written letter outlining the creative-process for his Divinity #3 (LaRosa 1:20 Variant) cover (complete with preliminary sketches for the four covers that proposed to Valiant Entertainment).

Lewis's creator notes say:
I can't remember where the final layout came from - me or Warren Simons. Thinking about it now, though, I believe Warren brought up 2001 back when we were creating the character. Looking at 2001 imagery, I thought paying homage to the posters with the fetus would work well as a cover. I also proposed Divinity in "The Thinker" position on an asteroid, but that was never used. The cover is a little more bare bones for me than usual. I'd only been using Copics for a month or two and was still learning, but I was still using micron pens to help with separation, definition, clarity, and aggressiveness. I opted not to use microns for this cover, however, as I wanted a softer look and feel. I remember being torn on whether or not to add stars. It looked plain without them but I also thought if we're going to pay homage to Kubrick then we had to go starless.

- Lewis LaRosa
12 - 28 - 15
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:32:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Eternal Warrior: Days of Steel #2 (2014) Original Cover Art by Lewis LaRosa.

I was deep in the routine of buying as many LaRosa covers as practical, when (at some point) Lewis asked me if I might be interested in an Eternal Warrior cover that featured Gilad fighting medieval knights on horseback with a bloody battle axe.

I had not seen the piece at that time; however, how in the hell could I pass up such an offer? There was no possible way that this could go bad, and then some time later, this cover arrived as seen below.

Good faith is sometimes rewarded.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Imperium #2 (2015) Original Cover Art framed with all eight original preliminary cover sketch concepts by Lewis LaRosa.

Lewis clearly (and appropriately) drew inspiration from classic World War II Nazi propaganda posters featuring Hitler. The original Nazi art depicted the Third Reich in all of its imaginary glory with Hitler holding the Nazi flag, an army of supporters standing in ranks behind him, and a Valkyrie flying out of the heavens.

The parallels to Joshua Dysart's Toyo Harada in the Harbinger/Imperium story are many, so it was fitting that Lewis mirror that image for this cover. From the original preliminary cover sketch concepts, the question was asked bout what to place in the sky above;
What should go here? Bleeding Monk?
Adding a dove of peace could not have been a more perfect solution.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:51:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Bloodshot: Reborn #12 (2015) Pages #14-15 Double Page Spread Original Interior Page Art by Lewis LaRosa.

The vast majority of my art collection is composed of different covers with little to no pages. This is not because I do not like page art (I most certainly do), but rather a space issue in that there is simply too much art out there for me to focus on and covers (on average) simply carry more bang for the buck so to speak.

However, there are reasons to collect pages (as I sometime do), such as the first appearance of a character, an incredible splash page, or (like this case) an action-packed Double Page Spread featuring Bloodshot and "Old Man" Ninjak in full attack mode.

The result is absolutely stunning when viewed up close and in person, which is sort of the purpose of art. :wink:

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:40:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Ivar, Timewalker #5 (2015) Original Cover Art by Robert Gill.

Robert called this piece the "Golden Age" Variant, and appropriately so.

The "Golden Age of Comic Books" existed between 1938 and the mid 1950s, and in many ways, defined the comic book superhero (good vs evil) concept that was well-received throughout the second World War and has (in many ways) continued ever since.

This cover is a fantastic representation of that era, insomuch as its simple and classic depiction of its characters, vintage pinup girl hair and makeup for Neela, humanoid robots, and action bubble demonstrating Ivar's punch landing squarely on the chin of evil.

This is part of a four cover set by Robert, each depicting a different era of comic art.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Ivar, Timewalker #6 (2015) Original Cover Art by Robert Gill.

Robert called this piece the "Silver Age" Variant, and appropriately so.

The "Silver Age of Comic Books" existed between 1956 and 1970 (though DC fans often argue it ended in 1985 with Crisis on Infinite Earths...), and featured characters that were more human and relatable to readers. At the same time, it was a period in comic book history that was defined by a general turn toward conservatism in American society, where men rescued women (damsels in distress) from the clutches of a giant evil robot, or (as is depicted here) a tyrannosaurus rex.

As the Silver Age occurred during the Space Race, science was the answer to, and source of every problem. So in this piece we see "high adventure in the prehistoric era" featuring "Neela... ...of the future" and asking the very important scientific question: "can any man survive the time portal?"

This is part of a four cover set by Robert, each depicting a different era of comic art.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:14:23 pm, edited 13 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Ivar, Timewalker #7 (2015) Original Cover Art by Robert Gill.

Robert called this piece the "Platinum Age" Variant; however, he was incorrect in doing so.

The "Platinum Age of Comic Books" existed between 1897 and 1938, and shared absolutely zero creative or artistic elements as seen in this piece. The Platinum Age of Comic Books commenced with the publishing of The Yellow Kid in McFadden’s Flats that featured "Yellow Kid" and the first know use of the term "Comic Book".

What I believe Robert SHOULD have called this piece is the "Dark Age" Variant, "Iron Age" Variant, (or more appropriately, the "Baroque Age" Variant or the "Image Age" Variant; difficult to say as 1992 appears to be the dividing line between these four age descriptions) as it represents the extreme Rob Liefeld style of excess (e.g. huge breasts, impossibly thin waistline, massive guns to large to actually use, and an endless supply of pouches; even Neela's pistol has a bayonet!) that defined the early 1990's leading up to the Great Comics Crash of 1996.

This cover is a brilliant representation of that era, showcasing many of the artistic nuances that defined that period of comic book history.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:40:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Ivar, Timewalker #8 (2015) Original Cover Art by Robert Gill.

Robert called this piece the "Modern Age" Variant, and appropriately so.

The "Modern Age of Comic Books" existed from 1986 to present; or it existed from 2004 to present; or 2000 to present (it is hard to date). What I can say is that the artistic style used by Robert on this particular cover is certainly a reflection of the modern day indie style of comic books.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:45:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Bloodshot: Reborn #1 (Nord Ultimate Comics Variant) (2015) Original Cover Art by Cary Nord.

FACT! Anytime you can score original cover art featuring an iconic character like Bloodshot standing in the center of a giant crimson circle, it needs to happen. A nostalgic nod to 1992's Rai #0 and Archer & Armstrong #0, nothing can be recognizably "More Valiant" in appearance.

This was the first piece by Cary Nord that I purchased.

There is a certain Frank Miller look to this piece with a "Sin City" feel.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:54:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Archer & Armstrong #9 (2012) Original Cover Art by Clayton Henry.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Archer & Armstrong #10 (2012) Original Cover Art by Clayton Henry.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Harbinger #10 (1992) Page #5 framed with the matching original color page by David Lapham.

This is the 1st appearance of a H.A.R.D. Corps MEMBER

Actually, it is a minor debate. See, this is the 1st time we see the actual face of the H.A.R.D. Corps (in two panels) whereas Page #4 (owned by Dinesh) shows 1st appearance of a H.A.R.D. Corps GLOVE.

Who is right?

We BOTH are. Of course I feel that I am slightly more right, but time (and the market) will tell.

It always does.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Harbinger Wars interlocking cover by artist Clayton Henry.

Bloodshot #9 (Left)
Harbinger Wars #1 (Center)
Harbinger #10 (Right)

I hunted this cover art for several years, without much luck. Then one day, I received a message out of the blue from a collector in Europe. A deal was worked, and I finally became the proud owner of one of the most visually recognizable and iconic covers released by Valiant Entertainment to date.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:32:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

X-O Manowar #39 (CAFU 1:20 Variant) (2012) Original Cover Art framed with all four original preliminary cover sketch concepts by Carlos Alberto Fernández Urbano (CAFU) .

This cover was impossible for me to ignore, and as far as the classic "superhero" in action saving the day, this is as good as it gets. The published version shows Aric and the airplane over a city, which was digitally added later.

Aric and the airplane, however, as picture below, are beautifully rendered.

Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:36:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Imperium #15 (Gill Variant) (2015) Original Cover Art by Robert Gill.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Imperium #16 (Bernard Variant) (2015) Original Cover Art by Diego Bernard.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Bloodshot Salvation #1 (Stoney Creek Comics exclusive variant) (2017) Original Cover Art framed with all four original preliminary cover sketch concepts and Bloodshot character study by Thony Silas.

Initially advertised as the cover for 2016's Bloodshot USA #1; this cover was not used until 2017's Bloodshot Salvation #1 as a retailer exclusive variant for Stoney Creek Comics.