Phantom's collection of valiant stuff.

Users can share photos of their VALIANT collections, your own museum for everyone to tour. No comments allowed by visitors in the gallery threads, just your own space to show and describe your own collection. Free admission for everyone to "The VALIANT Gallery".

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.
Phantom's collection of valiant stuff.

Post by Phantom »

Hello.

I am Phantom, aka Phantom(.) and most recently Phantom (..)
I have loved this thread yet in 8 years never posted. Just didn't think my stuff was worthy.
Saying that my colection has grown over time.

Trying to intergate into the board and 'get involved' hasn't panned out the way I wanted.
So by posting this stuff, do not feel I am trying to get one up on you, or beat you in anyway.
Collecting comics, amoungst other things, over the last few years has been excapism, to give myself a break.

So I will start slow, post a few things. See how I go, may not post everything. I may give up as this takes time.
But also it is fun to see other peoples threads, and their hoards :thumb:

Feel free to comment in the correct thread, I will reply.
Nb ~ If the images are to large ~ feel free to offer advice how to shrink ~ I use photobucket.

So here we go.

The photo above was taken during a rebagging session (such a comic geek), Usually no comic backing board means vf (or not worth boarding). one backing board is nm- and backing board frount and back is nm/nm+ for higher value books. Of the above from memory top row was boarded even though vf/nm. Next two rows Nm- bottom two rows nm/nm+

I Saw the glare off the books when photographing untiy 2000. So when rebagging photo was taken. Top row vf-? one has slight bent corner on the cover page, second row from top is nm- bottom two rows are nm/nm+ boarded back and frount and packed away.

Shall I write this stuff let me know, you guys maybe think I am too pedantic?

I find it difficult to grade somethimes. Some NM look better than NM+. Just because their is the smallest little ripple in the cover from printing process.

Saying that ~ in the end unless cgc'ed I will never know. I would love to see some of my books graded ~ but in the UK its not worth it. I would think some are 9.8 ~ but everyone would say that. I hope at least one would be. Maybe even my best of the above are 9.6 :? . That is why I brought 9.8 cgc cased copies and 9.6 ~ to improve my grading.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Phantom
Re: Phantom's collection of valiant stuff.

Post by Phantom »

The very very rare French Playstation SEALED game pack. I have never owned a gamestation ~ except a nitendo DS, a commadore 64 (which was a PC? or word processer with games on downloaded via cassette tape ~ Nitendo DS for the kids is MUCH better (obviously)

It took along time to track down, sealed or unsealed this is the only one I have come accross. The amount of hassle to get this YOU would not believe. It was to be a gift ~ thats why all the effort. Now it just sits onn the shelf behind some books ( to prevent sun damage).
Sorry about the second photo not being rotated ~ will attempt to change latter.

Boxed Shadowman game with all the bits ~ even Shadowman special edition. I also have another shadowman special edition. I was trying to get a higher grade of the ashcan, thinking if it was with the box it would be in better condition ~ alas, the copy I already owned was better. Will photograph latter.

Made for the first royal valiant fans met up. Only 21 made with a special gold stamp ( seen in third photo). THird photo has the book on top and a a4 size magnus ~ for magnusr :thumb: .
My friend designed these based on Mr Men Charactor and did an obsolutely fantastic job. Would love to make some of these for real they are so truely fantastic. I do have more of these via a printing accident ~ however, I will not gold stamp as it would be unfair to those with the orginal 21 ( for Downes Syndrome)

Image[/quote]

The most fantastic shadowman poster I have seen. I love it. I was trying to sell it, but I love it. When I get organised I may frame it. Or sell it whatever, I just love how big it is. From Germany.
Last edited by Phantom on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:27:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The current fundraiser that Greg has rescued.
Here are same photos of its construction ~ I will try and find a photo of all 75 books un marked ~ but computer is being mischievous with allocation of photos.

O also have photo of the magnesium plate, will try and find. Magnesium as in Mg if I spelt it wrong or if you use a z.

The reason for all the photos is that I know Magnusr is interested in the process of manufacture of the items I make for the project books. Others might be interested aswell. ( my intention is not to bore anyone).

You glue the Magnnesium plate with a 'pritt stick' ( light craft glue that comes in stck form) to the heated plate.
You play arround with temprature and pressure as well as contact time, pending the gold leaf.
I have written notes from previous experiance, so alot of guess work is taken away ~ but every paper is different so a few sacraficed issues. With Turok all over inside and back pages.

Once set up ~ you start a repetative process. What I did not calculate was that magazines are not all folded or printed or shaped the same, so the jig I made had to be cross rreferanced with specific points on the magazine to line up the Turok perfectly

Images of Turok and gold leaf process.

Next came the block printing.
Positioning of the block letters to appear on the comic, in relation to cover art and logos.
The Block printing process also required a jig, however did not need nearly as much effort in lining up hte books .
The turok had to be perfectly alligned, where the block printing just has to be straight and centred, 1/2 mm off no one would know.

Photos of collecables and hoards to come ~ this was posted to try and promote the current fundraiser.

Additional info only previously seen by MAGNUSR when he came to my house. He was greatful to see it (or just being polite) others maybe interested.

the rice paper was used to mark the plate and correspond it to the actual comic. This confirmed odering details and shows how fantastic the plate makers where who did this for me. They did not charge me extra for the ICT work and logo transfer which was very kind of them, usually they make the plates from computer files. I have used them since then, and going to use them again soon.

Magnus has a few? of these ~ unfortunatly the rest are missing in action, which is a shame, as they where to be mounted and given away.
Last edited by Phantom on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:16:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

THe block letter printing I noticed is not what is printed.
Knightt and I played arround few ideas and photos where taken.
Obviously ~ international fundraiser is what we settled on.
Only that block plate was ever used, their is no other 'variant editions flotting arround.

If you are interested in purchasing one to help raise money for charity ~ the link is posted below.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=39009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

back to comics.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Norma Magnus vs Predator
Very hard to get in high grade ~ happy to own this!

.}

Phantom..
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Location: The Royal Valiant Fans thank Dino and Svair for their kindness!

Post by Phantom.. »

Kapow 2012 Clock
linlk
Last edited by Phantom.. on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:07:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I have brought these over the last few years ~ trying toi get a perfect set.
As newstands? they are hard to find in top top condition. Some are slightly dirty ~ I have not tryed to clean them ~ as I don't want to damage my best set. So hard to find issues without massive spine roll. If you have a better set I maybe interested.
I have selected the best of the best of each issue.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If you are reading this, the turok plates are in post number three as an edit to keep it all togeher.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Archer and Armstrong cover artist and current artist.

ALthough she did not speak ebglish she understood it. I tryed to explain I didn't bring a comic for her to sign, would she mind signing a backing board. She signed and did an old school valiant star. She then passed it to the inker Guillermo Ortego to sign aswell. Ortego was not listed as being present ~ MagnusR return to his hotel to get more books to sign :thumb:

Before we knew Guillerno Ortego was their Magnus kept comming back to look at E. Luccinos work ( and she is easy on the eye ~ and the table very friendly). Their are two covers I am very interested in, then Guillermo sells the INKS to one of the covers ~ Magnus and I are in amazement!
This is how we where introduced to Ortego.
We where offered to photograph the two pieces together before they were separated.

After I spoke to Ortego. How they got working with each other, how it works.
I did bable some rubbish and it was unclear ~ so I laughed, paused and said ~ I like the way your inking complements the orginal work ~ I can see why she wants you to do her inking. it works together extremely well.

Magnus and I chatted again at the table ~ we where handed their private business cards.

This is the orginal artwork cover I so desparatly want to buy. Compare this to the printed issue, this blows it out of the water. You don't even see the beam over the head and you lose the very bottom aswell.