the harbinger #3

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
the harbinger #3

Post by valiantdude »

garbage.. pure garbage.. its 'the' harbinger now.. how is this being published? its like how low can you go and stay there.. but hey its almost 2022!!! and there are still valiant comics.. but so so bad..

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Re: the harbinger #3

Post by Oxmyx »

When I think of THE Harbinger, I think of this guy:
cmx-cu-sash-lg.png_0,0,271,416 158,303,112,112_QL80_TTD_.jpg
cmx-cu-sash-lg.png_0,0,271,416 158,303,112,112_QL80_TTD_.jpg (37.24 KiB) Viewed 937 times
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

aw man.. i thought the same thing.. did we a rehash of a guy named peter as the harbinger..
i will never get it

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by The Harbinger »

Oxmyx wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:05:38 pm When I think of THE Harbinger, I think of this guy:

cmx-cu-sash-lg.png_0,0,271,416 158,303,112,112_QL80_TTD_.jpg
This was my avatar pic until about a month ago the image source went offline. Story may have been a mess, but always thought the design and his appearance in Visitor was cool (Visitor art by Chang is the first thing that got me to pick up a Valiant comic)

I am reading this series. I don't... hate it... but I got no idea what is going on and the art seems to fit this fever dream. For all the talk about targeting new readers with in the mystical YA audience, I'd bet my life 100% of the people that read Harbinger #3 were already reading Valiant stuff. Like imagine your dad hearing you like the Spiderman movies, going to a comic shop, and coming back with Harbinger #2 and Harbinger #3 for you :lol:

Should have given VIP a chance with their archangel Harbinger character to see how it would have gone

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I don't hate it, especially when comparing to both Dysart's Harbinger and Harbinger Renegade. It seems to have a solid goal in mind for Peter, and now that it's 3 issues in, I honestly don't mind this direction. Pete's gone through a lot. Maybe it's time for him to embrace being a true "superhero" now.

As for the art... I'm not sure... It's okay I guess.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

I've just read the first three issues back to back and feel a bit divided on it. It respects continuity as far as I can tell, but because it's been well over a year since I finished reading Renegades I can't remember why it is that everyone in the world is supposed to hate Peter now... If someone could remind me why that's the case it'd be nice.

As for the political agenda the book may or may not have, I can't really say because I'm not too conscious of that stuff. I read comics for light entertainment, I don't deep dive on them like some of you guys here. What I can say is that any talk of 'hate' or segregation and such was appropriate for the context the story was set in, and that's fine by me.

One thing I really don't like is that Peter has literally become a cookie-cutter super hero now. I know Valiant (the company) seem to feel that's the angle they want to play right now, but although I can follow Peter's desire to be a better person and use his powers virtuously, the mask literally makes me cringe, primarily because super heroes just aren't my thing, but in no small part due to the fact that I just don't feel that 'being a super hero' is something that Peter Stanchek, the character, would be doing. 'Super hero' just seems a poor fit for the character imo, so disappointed to see that a previously interesting character has now been transformed into something much more generic: this first arc was literally a case of 'super hero rescues an innocent from a gang of overtly stereotypical villains'. Stereotypical comic book fair, nowhere near as interesting as the previous series outings to date, sadly.

Ah well. Still interested to see why/how Peter seems to have been split into two different beings, so will stick with it for the time being.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Rodriguez's art has some great panels. It also features chaotic panels and layouts that become hard to follow or understand; a problem going back to his Spider-Gwen days.

But really, the issue with this series is the writers and there babbling duologue. It's tedious. It's meaningless. It's false importance. It adds absolutely nothing to the story.

"The Badge hits with a force shield. H.A.R.D.Corps tech has mass, which means it's governed by the laws of physics. He's confident. Confidence has mass, too. It makes the mind solid and turns a thought into a bullet. I can catch a bullet. And sure, I may not have confidence yet, but I have chaos for days. Chaos makes excellent shrapnel."

Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing, whichever of you wrote that, I might hate you. That's utterly stupid. Utterly meaningless. And desperately wanting to be pretentious. Also, all the new characters have painfully stupid names as if they were made up for DC Bloodlines or 1993 Marvel annuals.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246