Refuse + Last Resorts

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
Refuse + Last Resorts

Post by mrwoogieman »

The planet-sized (and priced) standalone double issue from Bad Idea.

The first story, Refuse, is beautifully rendered, a visual treat. The story is very straightforward, with basically a protagonist in an intriguing situation and not much dialogue to go with. I enjoyed it but it left me hoping that it wasn't the better of the two stories in the book.

And that brings us to Last Resorts which I thought was delightful! Visually, I was seeing the funky vibes of Chew with a lot of quirky looking characters. Story-wise, it was a winner. Lots of fun, it was like a Black Mirror/Twilight Zone episode.

Now that I think about it, each story was so different, I could easily see someone else preferring the former to the latter depending on personal taste.

Thanks Bad Idea!
:hm:

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa
Re: Refuse + Last Resorts

Post by JCP »

I preferred Refuse but really enjoyed both. Sauvage’s art is simply beautiful and Kindt - without a lot of dialogue- “told” an engaging story. Sauvage actually sold me a monoprint of the cover, which is spectacular to see in person.

Bad Idea puts out yet another great book.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Refuse + Last Resorts

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I enjoyed both stories but I didn’t understand the end of Refuse. What did she mean at the end?

Outstanding art by Sauvage, reminded me of Fiona Staples with the futuristic and clean style.

Last Resorts was excellent too, interesting concept and well executed art and writing.

4/5 - check it out!