Monster Kill Squad #1 & #2 (Bad Idea)

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Monster Kill Squad #1 & #2 (Bad Idea)

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Visually this is a really strong series with art from Tomas Giorello and colours from Diego Rodriguez, but the story and characters seem pretty meh and gebric so far :? The leader of the group,Commander Joan Stockard is a 56 year old (with the body of a 23 year old!?) cigar smoking, 3 scars down the face ‘Bad *SQUEE*’?! Not the most original from writer Christie’s Gage (who did an excellent job on Ninjak). The story of chasing monsters who appear due to a mysterious Pandora’s box is a bit clunky and the dialogue not great with over use of exposition. Hopefully it picks up in the remaining issues but so far its a waste of some A level art.

The best thing about these books are the 2 x B sides from Matt Kindt and Juan Jose Ryp.

Issue #1 B side - Deep Fake. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is linked to ENIAC as it tells the story of a Russian spy who used US computerised technology to create an A1 who grows and manipulates her appearance over the years. Slight ‘Rai’ vibe to this story.

Issue #2 B side - Saver. The origin story of a character who I think was in one of the other B side stories. A guy with the ability to turn back time and relive moments over and over again until he gets the outcome he wants. This story tells the tale of how he saves his girlfriend from a car crash but has to sacrifice a stranger in order to do so. Interesting morale dilemma.

Monster Kill Squad 3/5 (saved by the visuals)

B sides 4/5 from Kindt and Ryp.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
Re: Monster Kill Squad #1 & #2 (Bad Idea)

Post by tarheelmarine »

I've got to find this as I am a big fan of Giorello's art.