Harbinger #1 (2021)

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
Harbinger #1 (2021)

Post by valiantdude »

What the *SQUEE*... insanely bad story and art, what the flying *SQUEE* .. thats my review

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Harbinger #1 (2021)

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I’m not reading this as it was obvious what it would be like from the writer’s politics …but the review should read (to coin a phrase)..BE BETTER! :lol:

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I wanna see more but think Pete's re design looks like trash
I Miss the good old days.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

The art is the art. It's what he did with Spider-Gwen. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.

The story was totally fine and interesting until it got confusing. Whatever nonsense "politics" or "agendas" folks have decided would be pushed or are railimg against because their echo chamber tells them to just aren't in this issue. It seems like a fairly continuity heavy story so far.

If it wasn't for the slightly muddy ending it would be pretty fun.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:27:42 pm The art is the art. It's what he did with Spider-Gwen. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.

The story was totally fine and interesting until it got confusing. Whatever nonsense "politics" or "agendas" folks have decided would be pushed or are railimg against because their echo chamber tells them to just aren't in this issue. It seems like a fairly continuity heavy story so far.

If it wasn't for the slightly muddy ending it would be pretty fun.
I have to wait until next week before i get to read this, as i live in Australia. Do you think the art suits the story? I only ask as it seems like its been a bit hit and miss with the art. The artwork for XO seems pretty good, but the art and colouring on Ninjak has caused the back of my retina's to burn out. The previews ive seen so far seem positive, in my opinion.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:27:42 pm.

Here’s a CBR interview quote from one of the creators …

“Peter Stanchek is a young man with far too much power and privilege -- and no idea how to wield it responsibly. That question -- how to use the privilege of your position, of your birth, towards the great good -- is something that we felt an absolute need to tackle.”

Kelly: “It feels stupendous. This book was primed to launch… Just as the world turned inside out and our industry effectively collapsed. During that time, we saw seismic shifts in the world -- from the demand for justice for George Floyd to the election of a new president. But while the world is a very different place, sadly, many of the elements in our original story didn't need any change: law enforcement can still abuse their authority, the powerful still marginalize the powerless, and the media can bend a narrative to fit the will of those who pay to maintain the systemically abusive status quo.”

This is the evidence of a political agenda with the usual left wing buzz words and dog whistles. To me, these creators are more like activists. That being said, we’ve all covered this debate over and over so I’m not looking for a back and forth.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:28:46 am Kelly: “.... and the media can bend a narrative to fit the will of those who pay to maintain the systemically abusive status quo.”
I might read this a little differently than Kelly intended it.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:20:52 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:28:46 am Kelly: “.... and the media can bend a narrative to fit the will of those who pay to maintain the systemically abusive status quo.”
I might read this a little differently than Kelly intended it.
Absolutely!

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Not reading it because you don't like the hype or description pre-release is understandable.

But now that it is out, commenting on what it IS without even cracking it open is just perpetuating your own politics and has nothing to do with a published issue review thread.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:00:06 am Not reading it because you don't like the hype or description pre-release is understandable.

But now that it is out, commenting on what it IS without even cracking it open is just perpetuating your own politics and has nothing to do with a published issue review thread.
I think I will buy the first issue out of morbid curiosity.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Oops look like my post got pulled...maybe too much info? Okay will rewrite, sorry Greg.. facepalm don't give those *SQUEE* a *SQUEE* dime.. there are places on the internet you can read it for free

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:21:41 am
SwiftMann wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:00:06 am Not reading it because you don't like the hype or description pre-release is understandable.

So I bought it, I read it…what absolute garbage! Worst Harbinger issue ever! DMG add Harbinger to the long list of properties they’ve ruined.

Garbled story, with the infamous ‘Be Betterrr’ (Oprah Winfrey/Michelle Obama message to men) running through the story and the “hateful, terrified cop who’s going to fire regardless of his orders” BS, it’s just amateur hour again with another writer using the books to insert their own political agenda. Why is the cop ‘hateful’??

Foolishly, DMG put a Lewis Larosa drawing of Peter Stancheck on the inside cover to remind us of Valiant in its prime and then subjects us to C level art which makes Stanchek look about 13 yes old paired together with some very gaudy colouring. Yeeeuch!!

The editors have so much to answer for in their selection of creators.

Amazingly this isn’t even the worse DMG have delivered but it’s still a 2/5 car crash of a book. :!:

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:13:07 pm

So I bought it, I read it…what absolute garbage! Worst Harbinger issue ever! DMG add Harbinger to the long list of properties they’ve ruined.

Garbled story, with the infamous ‘Be Betterrr’ (Oprah Winfrey/Michelle Obama message to men) running through the story and the “hateful, terrified cop who’s going to fire regardless of his orders” BS, it’s just amateur hour again with another writer using the books to insert their own political agenda. Why is the cop ‘hateful’??

Foolishly, DMG put a Lewis Larosa drawing of Peter Stancheck on the inside cover to remind us of Valiant in its prime and then subjects us to C level art which makes Stanchek look about 13 yes old paired together with some very gaudy colouring. Yeeeuch!!

Amazingly this isn’t even the worse DMG have delivered but it’s still a 2/5 car crash of a book. :!:
Sorry for reviving an old thread, catching up after some time away...

I don't know man, you're interpretation above seems to say more about your politics and disdain for political commentary (or more specifically which way the writers lean politically) than the story itself. Political commentary, social issues, social criticism, agendas, etc have ALWAYS been part of art, comedy, and literature. Despite people that lean right now decrying it and creating terms like "woke agenda" and "cancel culture", nothing Marvel, DC, or even Valiant are doing by making statements in their book are different than what all forms of arts have done for centuries. It's not going away. If you don't want your perceptions challenged, than probably best to stay away from art & literature...That's part of their goal, to challenge how we see things and generate conversation

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

markie7235 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:06:09 pm

I don't know man, you're interpretation above seems to say more about your politics and disdain for political commentary (or more specifically which way the writers lean politically) than the story itself. Political commentary, social issues, social criticism, agendas, etc have ALWAYS been part of art, comedy, and literature. Despite people that lean right now decrying it and creating terms like "woke agenda" and "cancel culture", nothing Marvel, DC, or even Valiant are doing by making statements in their book are different than what all forms of arts have done for centuries. It's not going away. If you don't want your perceptions challenged, than probably best to stay away from art & literature...That's part of their goal, to challenge how we see things and generate conversation
Have you ever read VH1 Harbinger? Shooter knew how to do those things without advocating. Miller and Moore challenged our perceptions. I certainly know what you are saying, but Miller and Moore are not what the creators of DMG Harbinger are doing.

I do not even mind they are doing it, but I certainly wish like hell they would do it with characters they created.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

markie7235 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:06:09 pm

You’ve made the classic mistake of ‘there’s always been politics in comics’. On a broad level yes there has been social commentary from time to time, that’s very different to the constant bombardment of left wing politics pervasive in comics today.

I’d rather not have any biased politics and just good stories but if there must be politics then at least allow right leaning writers into comics instead of gate keeping them out! Valiant, DC, Marvel etc have become platforms for activists rather than publishers. There’s absolutely no balance and given that most Americans are republicans then it seems a strange business model.

*note that last sentence was just mischievous fun, let’s not argue about the election :wink:

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

That's fair, but there's also been politics from an early time period. I mean, you had captain America beating up Hitler on the cover of early cap comics. That could be argued is left wing.

And the precursor to comics were things like weird tales (might be off on the name), where HP Lovecraft got his start, which you could argue is more aligned to current right wing politics. Most of his stuff couldn't be published today.

But yes, it wasn't so much political in your face and more tied to Nationalism, social views, old racist beliefs, etc. Though those same books would be considered political in nature if released today.

20 years from now, these books we consider highly political today will be viewed by later generations as social commentary, just like we view comics of old as such. Politics are only relevant to the generation/moment.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

markie7235 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:48:12 pm 20 years from now, these books we consider highly political today will be viewed by later generations as social commentary, just like we view comics of old as such. Politics are only relevant to the generation/moment.
I disagree. Just because we don’t think of bimetallism as a hot button political issue today does not make the Wizard of Oz any less political than when Baum wrote it.

And why is punching Hitler a left-wing thing? Right wingers backed the war effort as enthusiastically as left wingers - and left wingers were defending the rights of the Nazis to march in the 70s.