X-O Manowar (2020) #5

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
X-O Manowar (2020) #5

Post by SwiftMann »

First five pages were in this weekend's FCBD issue, so skipped those.

Fell asleep five pages later. Not nodded off for a second, completely passed out. Woke up. Couldn't even remember what it was I was reading because this is NOT an X-O book. I don't know what it's trying to be, but it stinks.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: X-O Manowar (2020) #5

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Quite honestly, the last 5 or so pages were surprisingly good!

I was happy to see Shanhara of Gennin again. For a moment I was thinking "this is actually getting better!"

Having been very negative about this series thus far, I'm really excited about the next issue now....

Maybe that's just the sentient robot in me?!?

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:03:20 am Quite honestly, the last 5 or so pages were surprisingly good!

I was happy to see Shanhara of Gennin again. For a moment I was thinking "this is actually getting better!"

Having been very negative about this series thus far, I'm really excited about the next issue now....

Perhaps.

To me those last 5 or so pages felt like the recent Bloodshot arc where they go into the nanites (or whatever was happening there) to free Ray.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

SwiftMann wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:16:17 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:03:20 am Quite honestly, the last 5 or so pages were surprisingly good!

Perhaps.

To me those last 5 or so pages felt like the recent Bloodshot arc where they go into the nanites (or whatever was happening there) to free Ray.
Are you referring to that half page showing close-ups of the nanites, or what Rampage did with his helmet, or something else I don't remember?

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

I had to look through recent issues (totally forgot about that Doctor Tomorrow series).

I was thinking of the sequences in the latter issues of Dan Abnett's Rai run, not Bloodshot.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

What a long wait to continue the story. ..
I was like what the Fudge is happening. How is he wearing the suit but it's beside him in ball form.
Who is this guy? And I didn't remember him helping aric.
I don't trust this guy. What ever his name is.
The woman in 3d land looked to much like livewire had me wondering what's happening.
With all the super friends Aric has where the f ate they couldn't he call live wire and ask for help.

All in all 2 out of 5 and 3 out of 5 for art work.
I hope this all goes back to armorhunters the digital chick alien taimos
I Miss the good old days.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Only just reading this now as I got a copy cheap…and I still feel like I over paid for it!

So from what I can fathom, rip off Tony Stark has some conversation in the middle of a war against what might have been WW2 Germans judging by their helmets but is presumably something more recent and decided to prepare for future technology taking over the world or something?? :? Then either him or his friend stands up and gets shot??! :?

Meanwhile Aric is at the bottom of the ocean and Tony Stark makes Shanhara do some sort of Green Lantern ring type manoeuvre to repel the big green blob :?

And just before the end, Shanhara who now looks a lot like Livewire is in some virtual reality type thing whilst entertaining the reader with this snappy, witty dialogue that diabolical writer Hallum thought was a good idea to introduce.

Art was acceptable B level type stuff.

1.5/5 - criminally bad (and boring)