The Lot #1 plus a new Ninjak story!

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
The Lot #1 plus a new Ninjak story!

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Was looking forward to reading the Lot by Maguerite Bennett and art by Renata Guedes after hearing the pitch about a film studio where horror films were made but the deaths were real! Interesting concept, maybe I need to re-read it but it felt ‘clunky in parts’. Still interested to know how it develops. Art by Guedes was all I’m black and white and was mostly top notch but a few panels were tricky to figure out.
Nice little shout out to Dinesh (Dino) in the story too...they should make it a trend in all the books (like Stan Lee in the Marvel films).
I’m all in with Bad Idea so hopefully the story becomes clearer in issue 2.

The back up story ‘Reverse Art Thief’ was very enjoyable and felt very ‘familiar’. Straight away I recognised the art of Doug Braithwaite as the story of an art thief who breaks into places to recover valuable art pieces and returns them to the original owner. Very Ninjak-esq how the meticulous planning and break in is covered. This art was stolen by the Nazis in WW2 and in the end it’s returned to presumably the Jewish descendant of whoever owned the art originally. Seems like this was based on a true story as there’s an editors note at the end saying the real art piece is still missing.

The list of creators is not until the final page and low and behold who is the writer? None other than former Ninjak writer Matt Kindt :clap: THAT’S why it felt so familiar.

3.75/5 overall, definitely worth picking up. :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: The Lot #1 plus a new Ninjak story!

Post by grendeljd »

Haven’t read this one yet, but it is the second Bad Idea book I’m picking up. The premise and the look of it sits in my sweet spot of interests - hoping it’s good :)
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

I agree with you Dallow. I enjoyed it, but maybe i'm getting old as I struggled to work out some of the story and art. I look forward to reading the rest of the story.
The back up was great and felt very familiar.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Agree with others. There wasn’t a strong flow to the panels at times, but overall the Lot was really entertaining. The art was fantastic and beautiful - black and white was a nice touch. I’m looking forward to seeing how this plays out. As an aside, I picked up David Lapham’s original art piece where he did a pin up of the protagonist on the horror movie set floor. Absolutely love it.

Kindt’s “Ninjak” backup story was a really cool b-side too. 4.0/5.0 overall and definitely worth getting.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!