The Visitor #5

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite
The Visitor #5

Post by mateo107 »

This finally came out a year since the last issue. I can barely remember what was going on in the first 4 issues, but this is the first one that actually seems to establish ties to the Valiant universe, Dr. Silk and 4001 Japan. The new art team sort of matches the style, although it's a little sloppy. The last 2 issues could be the best part, although it probably should've only been 3 issues.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: The Visitor #5

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

mateo107 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:41:36 pm This finally came out a year since the last issue. I can barely remember what was going on in the first 4 issues, but this is the first one that actually seems to establish ties to the Valiant universe, Dr. Silk and 4001 Japan. The new art team sort of matches the style, although it's a little sloppy. The last 2 issues could be the best part, although it probably should've only been 3 issues.
Yet no mention of the Livewire energy that New Japan's AI is made of (according to Fall of Ninjak and early Rai).

3 issues max. The first 4 could have been easily told in just 1 but the writer insisted on some sightseeing around NYC.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

MJ Kim's art was boring. Soo Lee's is just not good (and I dug Fantomah). Add to that the 13+ month gap and decision to just hamfistedly throw in some Valiant universe references after being ridiculously subtle for four previous issues and this book remains skipable nonsense.

Also, when is this taking place? Trying to figure out the chronology with the name drop of this incredibly ridiculous version of the character.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Oh, is this out now? I had heard it was coming but didn’t realize it was already out… I will probably grab a digital copy at some point just to see the series through.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

grendeljd wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:21:22 am Oh, is this out now? I had heard it was coming but didn’t realize it was already out… I will probably grab a digital copy at some point just to see the series through.
Yes, and the 6th and final issue will be out next WED, too -- Jun 16.

And in one of his final interviews (for VEI) Matthew Klein mentioned The Final Witness isn't completely "off" the table either.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:25:23 am
grendeljd wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:21:22 am Oh, is this out now? I had heard it was coming but didn’t realize it was already out… I will probably grab a digital copy at some point just to see the series through.
Yes, and the 6th and final issue will be out next WED, too -- Jun 16.

And in one of his final interviews (for VEI) Matthew Klein mentioned The Final Witness isn't completely "off" the table either.
Oh sweet - that’s a good move to just get them out there, I think. I’m sure the momentum was already long-lost for this title anyways, so why not just publish in quick succession.

And that’s good news about Final Witness too - that was another title I was looking forward to trying out, if it was to ever see print.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

The first 4 issues of this series were a pretty slow burn so the ending of this series really needs to justify being a 6 issue series. I wasn’t invested enough in this to re-read the previous issues so maybe I was doing it an injustice.

I thought it was ‘ok’, the Dr Silk reference seemed to come out of the blue. So I’m guessing that some of the Japanese contingent are psiots then with the whole red scarf strangling thing?

The art was decent apart from some (not all) faces seemed quite manga-esque.

3/5 - pretty average so far, hoping for a big finish!