Shadowman (by Cullen Bunn) #1

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Shadowman (by Cullen Bunn) #1

Post by TheFerg714 »

I thought it was a promising start. I don't love the complete lack of connection to VEI Shadowman, but it was enjoyable enough. The artwork was Juan Jose Ryp-like and I loved it. Kind of a strange Shadowman design though.

It's a significant improvement over DMG's last few outings. This issue alone outclasses X-O, Bloodshot, Savage, Q&W, and Roku.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Shadowman (by Cullen Bunn) #1

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Jack's back, baby!

And he's back at being a jazz musician again and finally embracing and using his shadow powers to the fullest. That scythe thing is badass. I also like the way Jack's using shadow-y strings on that lion demon so he can cut off its head.

I believe the whole Baron Samedi thing and the Deadside being mad (at humanity) is a straight continuation from Diggle's run which is good. Cullen said the next few issues are going to be self-concluded stories while something else is cooking in the background (the Blight). These stories could all be examples of and reasons why the Deadside is more and more angry and going to retaliate.

The background information about "Thin Places", the Haunted House and Mad Madame in the Pre-Order Edition is quite interesting, too.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

It's better than recent DMG. Faint praise though.

I really don't like comics that are just everyone monologuing For the most part, this was that. And definitely felt like an issue in the middle of a long run and not a first issue.

I came into this a big Davis-Hunt hater (work on The Wild Storm was awful). I thought this was better than that, but still very static. When he did try to convey movement things got a bit questionable.

So, yeah, didn't hate it, but it fell pretty flat for me.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Sunlight on Snow

SwiftMann wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:39:12 pm I came into this a big Davis-Hunt hater (work on The Wild Storm was awful). I thought this was better than that, but still very static. When he did try to convey movement things got a bit questionable.
Hmm, I read Clean Room. Then picked up Wildstorm. I kinda like JDH's style.

I agree, though, he's not the best at doing movements. Sometimes he's just wrong about the physics and that let's the outcome look weird. For instance, that middle sequence of the back flip actually is part of a front flip. When doing a back flip your head is leaning backwards. That's physics 101. Anyhow, JDH then nailed the landing.

The rather lame coloring is a much bigger problem for me on this one. It almost feels like someone told Jordie Bellaire not to be too bloody disgusting so the book could still get the T+ rating, which is an odd thing for a supposedly "horror" book. The gory scenes just don't feel gory at all because there's no real blood. Everything's just matte red. Just compare some of the pages in Shadowman #1 with the panel and page in Britannia #1 where Nero is cutting the man's throat. So much bloodier....and Britannia isn't even rated M either...which is rather weird. Bellaire's coloring is so much better in Britannia.
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Mon May 03, 2021 6:19:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg-K
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Gregg-K »

Appreciate you guys taking the time to read it and sharing your thoughts. Thank you!

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

I actually enjoyed this and I'm looking forward reading the next issue.

I'm not sure about the art, but it worked for me.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Been a long time since I’ve commented on a new Valiant comic around here!!

This was an enjoyable new issue of Shadowman to me, overall. A simple but satisfying one-and-done story with just a hint of a larger plot development. Considering it’s been a little over two years now since they ended the previous run by Andy Diggle, this may have actually proven to be a wise choice as a “fresh start” this time around.

I just hope that it will build upon its connection to the previous storylines in time - there is just enough there so that it doesn’t feel completely disconnected to me, and yet it’s only a few elements that are familiar (the use of Baron Samedi as a returning background character, for example). It has me curious to know how much time has passed for Jack within the story, which is a good sign. He appears to have gained some additional, more successful experience in the role of Shadowman since we last saw him, but it’s not a radical departure from where he was at the last time around, and so far I like that. He is in need of it, as he has generally been through some incredibly difficult and traumatic experiences as Shadowman prior to this.

I am usually not a fan of the constant, now-formulaic “soft reboot-itis” that has largely plagued Valiant books in recent years - I was (and still am) fully exhausted by having to endure these constant “fresh starts” that immediately feel stale because every time they do it, they insist on ignoring and stunting the growth of their own previously established continuity. If nothing that happens matters within a few short issues-worth, then to me there is zero incentive to try and get invested in whatever is happening in the current issue. I am tentatively hopeful that this won’t play out the same way this time around. I hope to see more familiar characters (like Alyssa) return soon.

I generally like the tone of it so far - it’s definitely not afraid to embrace a darker horror vibe without being stereotypically so. There were moments where the narrative style of monologuing was great, and then there were moments where it was starting to feel a little forced. When he starts describing himself... to himself? I know it’s a good method of filling in a new reader on what he can do, and personally I’d rather have some narrative writing than none, but the tone of it at times was also starting to remind me of a saying that I used to hear a lot - - “I don’t know if you’ve heard this, but I’m kind of a big deal.”

The artwork is great as far as I’m concerned. Reminds me a little of Juan Jose Ryp, and also of Frank Quitely. I am a fan of both of their styles, and I enjoy the echo of it in Jon’s work.

So far so good, and I’m looking forward to more of this!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow

Here's a video live chat from the WhoDoo guys with writer Cullen Bunn from last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk3X_l8zdr0

Some interesting stuff. No spoilers here (but maybe there).

Gregg K. was listening, too, so maybe some of that interesting stuff gets through to the seniors as well.

Gregg-K
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Gregg-K »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:57:51 am
Gregg K. was listening
...I'm always listening... :popcorn:

Sunlight on Snow

Gregg-K wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:43:17 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:57:51 am
Gregg K. was listening
...I'm always listening... :popcorn:
Of course, you are. :thumb:

Hopefully it is leading to the second part of that sentence. :wink:

cthulhu73
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Not sure

Post by cthulhu73 »

Just read my copy. I am happily encouraged.

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

I know it's been a few months since this issue came out, but I finally read it on a whim after taking a break from Valiant when X-O wrapped its first stint. And this was great.

Jack was easily the most likable he has been since the 1999 run by Abnett and Lanning. And he's a musician again! They fixed my biggest gripes about VEI, though I dunno yet if the problem stays fixed and I'm just being too optimistic.

The issue gave some very John Constantine vibes in execution, albeit a more proactive Constantine. Which seems to be a good enough idea for a Shadowman comic. Curious as to whether or not Samedinis plotting something.

I also really liked the art. The lack of gore didn't bother me, though I feel implying horrible violence might have been a better creative choice than the half-measure we did get. I feel like that was probably an editor's decision more than the artist, though.

This is the most excited I've been for a Valiant property since the last run of Rai. It's nice to be excited about something from a publisher whose entire line I read back in 2012 and 2013.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.