Tankers #1

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Tankers #1

Post by syzhang28 »

Anyone read this yet? I thought it was AMAZING! Fun in a way Valiant used to be.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
Re: Tankers #1

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Picked it up yesterday (first customer too! :wink: ) but haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet. Hopefully tomorrow. :thumb:

Blood of Heroes

Finally got a chance to read Tankers...

Based on the preview pages that came out over the last year, this was a book that I wasn’t super interested in. But since it was written by V-ditti I figured I’d give it a chance. Glad I did! It’s a really entertaining story that can go I. Any direction. And it’s just off the wall enough that you really don’t know what’s goi g to happen. But even more than that is the bonus story at the end. WTF is going on with that?? :lol: I don’t know what has my attention more, Tankers or Abe Lincoln!

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

The doorbell just rang. It was the postman. I didn't expect any delivery from the Comic Room Hamburg before May but somehow they decided to send me my copy of Tankers #1 (and some other stuff) anyway, instead of waiting until May when they would get all of ENIAC (#1-2), too. Well......

TANKERS

First of all....that cover is dope! I didn't expect such great quality and glossy artwork. The entire book is gorgeous.

Second.....Juan Bloody Jose Gory Ryp. There is no better artist to draw dinosaurs than Lewis Larosa. And there is no better artist to kill off dinosaurs than JJ Ryp. The artwork is absolutely amazing.

I hadn't really paid much attention to the preview pages except for simply looking at the art without reading anything. I don't know why but when the guy said "We're going to time travel!" I had to laugh so hard. The cliffhanger at the end was to be expected. I mean it was obvious they wouldn't exactly go back to where they came from. Right?

Fun read. Great art. --- 5/5

Can't wait for the next issue. How many months again? "It doesn't matter!"

Sunlight on Snow

Back up story and back cover are cool, too. Overall great stuff!

Will all Bad Idea books cost $5.99?

Just asking/wondering.

Sunlight on Snow

Oh, with Tankers #1 came my copy of Image's Solid Blood #17.

Man, opening and reading Solid Blood after Tankers is like night & day.

The high production quality of Tankers vs Solid Blood...that looks, feels, and smells like it's from the 90s. :lol:

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

Pretty cover. Nice interior art.

The setup is STUPID.

Go back in time, change the schedule of when dinosaurs die out, because that will change things in the future.
Nobody assumed that this would change the schedule of when mammals rose to prominence? I'm not any kind of scientist, and I see how Ill-advised this excursion would be.

This is a poorly conceived Twilight Zone pitch.

Blood of Heroes

slack wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:12:04 pm Pretty cover. Nice interior art.

The setup is STUPID.

Go back in time, change the schedule of when dinosaurs die out, because that will change things in the future.
Nobody assumed that this would change the schedule of when mammals rose to prominence? I'm not any kind of scientist, and I see how Ill-advised this excursion would be.

You're not wrong, but I think you are missing the point. I think Tankers is supposed to be ridiculous. The characters are playing it straight, but the book is just stupid fun. Kinda like the Starship Troopers movie.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

slack wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:12:04 pm Pretty cover. Nice interior art.

The setup is STUPID.

It's meant to be over the top. It's a comedy! I laughed so hard when they said time travel too. And when the brontosaurus gets decapitated! lolz

slack

Post by slack »

Sorry... But the plan is far too poorly conceived to be humorous to me.

There's no subtlety, it's a telegraphed punch in the face, made entirely out of a stupid idea.

It's not V-ditti's best work, but they priced it like it is.

slack

Post by slack »

Double post

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Looking forward to hearing more spoilery conversations about this book - It’s not one that appeals to me either in basic concept or even from reading the preview pages (big fan of Vditti & Ryp, but not the premise of this one)... but maybe if I hear more scintillating details here I might be persuaded to check it out.

The greatest thing about Bad Idea to me is that they’re essentially aiming to be a kind of Image-style imprint publisher, and with none of the series interconnected in the same fictional universe then I feel extra good about not being compelled to buy every single thing they put out - I’ll just be getting only the ones that really truly appeal to me.

As far as I know, the price is higher at $5.99 because it is an oversized book - and I believe all three issues of it will be oversized too. Consider that hearsay as I don’t actually have the comic though, just what I recall hearing via promotional chatter online.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blood of Heroes

grendeljd wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:36:55 am The greatest thing about Bad Idea to me is that they’re essentially aiming to be a kind of Image-style imprint publisher, and with none of the series interconnected in the same fictional universe then I feel extra good about not being compelled to buy every single thing they put out
It’s probably nothing, but in the Hero Trade story at the end on ENIAC 2, there was a panel that showed a “Greenleaf Oil” sign. That’s the oil company that Tankers is centered around. Could just be an Easter egg thrown in there, who knows. :?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I happened to be passing near a Bad Idea store and stopped in to get Tankers 1. I asked and the counter guy knew what I was asking about (which honestly surprised me) and he knew that they were sold out of Tankers 1 and Eniac 2 and were expecting a reorder the following week. Further, they had a display of Eniac 1 not first prints right by the register. I did set up a pull list so I can load up on Bad Idea every time I visit my parents.

It looks like Bad Idea is selling fairly well, at least at this one store.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I thought this was excellent (as always from VDitti). I don’t think it’s necessary to over think the premise and this issue felt like a very solid set up for what’s to come. VDitti doesn’t waste much time in getting to the time travel part and brings the action back to current day just in time for the end of issue #1.

Looking forward to issue #2 and enjoying those weird little back up stories too!

4.75/5 :thumb:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:43:11 am Back up story and back cover are cool, too. Overall great stuff!

Just asking/wondering.
No Eniac is $3.99 and is a 4 parter but Tankers is a bigger page count over 3 issues. Some books will be one shots and they’ll be more expensive.

Quality of the books is phenomenal and the back up stories are worth a read too.

Sunlight on Snow

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:14:47 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:43:11 am Back up story and back cover are cool, too. Overall great stuff!

Just asking/wondering.
No Eniac is $3.99 and is a 4 parter but Tankers is a bigger page count over 3 issues. Some books will be one shots and they’ll be more expensive.

Quality of the books is phenomenal and the back up stories are worth a read too.
Thanks.

So ENIAC is just regular sized except for the extra backup. Got it.

grendeljd
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:27:24 am
grendeljd wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:36:55 am The greatest thing about Bad Idea to me is that they’re essentially aiming to be a kind of Image-style imprint publisher, and with none of the series interconnected in the same fictional universe then I feel extra good about not being compelled to buy every single thing they put out
It’s probably nothing, but in the Hero Trade story at the end on ENIAC 2, there was a panel that showed a “Greenleaf Oil” sign. That’s the oil company that Tankers is centered around. Could just be an Easter egg thrown in there, who knows. :?
Well now that is interesting!! :hm:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

slack wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:04:07 am Sorry... But the plan is far too poorly conceived to be humorous to me.

There's no subtlety, it's a telegraphed punch in the face, made entirely out of a stupid idea.

It's not V-ditti's best work, but they priced it like it is.
Stumbled over one copy at a sale at my LCBS who has never had these books, so for $4 why not.

I agree with the above. The whole thing is bad stereotypes and obvious plot turns. Even if it is trying to be a comedy, it's not funny. Frankly, it's just stupid.

Gorgeous art though.

The back-up story was an amusing punchline, but went on a bit long.

As a complete aside, I noticed that nothing IN the book says Bad Idea. It's "Cincinnati Kid LLC" and where BAD IDEA is on the front cover makes it look like a credit. The truly odd approach to every step this company takes continues.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:19:54 pm
As a complete aside, I noticed that nothing IN the book says Bad Idea. It's "Cincinnati Kid LLC" and where BAD IDEA is on the front cover makes it look like a credit. The truly odd approach to every step this company takes continues.
Not sure how much you follow Bad Idea related news but ‘Bad Idea’ as a concept has (or will shortly) finish, so they must have planned all this a lot more than they are letting on. Don’t know what’s next but Dinesh and Warren will keep delivering the goods.

Would recommend Eniac, Pyrate Queen and Passive Aggressive as being the pick of the Bad Idea bunch so far. Josh Dysart’s series comes out in December so you can bet your house on that being top quality!

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:41:16 pm Not sure how much you follow Bad Idea related news but ‘Bad Idea’ as a concept has (or will shortly) finish, so they must have planned all this a lot more than they are letting on. Don’t know what’s next but Dinesh and Warren will keep delivering the goods.
Yeah, I've seen the "Bad Idea is over" marketing push and new name. Sounds like that's going to have to wait until deeper into next year because of supply chain issues.
Would recommend Eniac, Pyrate Queen and Passive Aggressive as being the pick of the Bad Idea bunch so far. Josh Dysart’s series comes out in December so you can bet your house on that being top quality!
Not that I've seen a lot of casual reader reviews of Pyrate Queen, but yours was the first positive one.

And Dysart isn't my style. Both his Swamp Thing and Valiant work failed to connect as I found them often to be tedious reads.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:15:06 pm
And Dysart isn't my style. Both his Swamp Thing and Valiant work failed to connect as I found them often to be tedious reads.
That’s blasphemy!! :o :wink:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

SwiftMann wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:15:06 pm And Dysart isn't my style. Both his Swamp Thing and Valiant work failed to connect as I found them often to be tedious reads.
BURN THE WITCH!!!

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:36:53 pm
SwiftMann wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:15:06 pm And Dysart isn't my style. Both his Swamp Thing and Valiant work failed to connect as I found them often to be tedious reads.
BURN THE WITCH!!!
A stoning Monty Python style should be the punishment (there better not be any women here!) :lol:

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:44:30 pm
Chiclo wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:36:53 pm
BURN THE WITCH!!!
A stoning Monty Python style should be the punishment (there better not be any women here!) :lol:
Women on this board are as rare as undiscovered chromium variants.
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!