Savage (2021) #1

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Savage (2021) #1

Post by SwiftMann »

Who doesn't love half-baked exposition, social media parody, and the promise of freakshow antagonists?

I'm surprised every time a new issue from Valiant ships since it means they haven't quietly folded up shop. At the same time, finishing this issue and rolling my eyes at the Shadowman preview's artwork made me pause to consider tapping out of Valiant completely.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993
Re: Savage (2021) #1

Post by dino »

In case there is any confusion, this is 100% not the direction we had planned for the Savage sequel.

And since I'm here, I might as well pimp BAD IDEA a little :D

Cover for TANKERS 2 by the dinosaur loving Lewis LaRosa:

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

dino wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:27:44 pm In case there is any confusion, this is 100% not the direction we had planned for the Savage sequel.
Feel free to elaborate on the planned direction. :D

JCP
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Lewis’ art is simply spectacular. Sonic Dan, any new OA available? Bad Idea can’t get here soon enough. I’m truly saddened by Valiant’s fall.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

dino wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:27:44 pm In case there is any confusion, this is 100% not the direction we had planned for the Savage sequel.

And since I'm here, I might as well pimp BAD IDEA a little :D

Cover for TANKERS 2 by the dinosaur loving Lewis LaRosa:

Oh we know full well that the car crash versions of Bloodshot, Psi Lords, XO etc we got were not the direction those characters would have went in had you still been in charge.
I can’t imagine there’s many people on this board who aren’t on board with Bad Idea! Looking forward to reading books from A list creators again :thumb:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:37:35 am Who doesn't love half-baked exposition, social media parody, and the promise of freakshow antagonists?

I'm surprised every time a new issue from Valiant ships since it means they haven't quietly folded up shop. At the same time, finishing this issue and rolling my eyes at the Shadowman preview's artwork made me pause to consider tapping out of Valiant completely.
It’s almost as if there’s a double agent working within Valiant to wreck the characters...and succeeding. facepalm At this point I would prefer them to close up shop rather than continue to damage the history of these characters. Aside from a couple of exceptions, it’s been an abject failure. It shocks me that Fred Pierce who was there during the Dinesh reign has allowed the quality to plummet.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

JCP wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:38:43 pm Lewis’ art is simply spectacular. Sonic Dan, any new OA available? Bad Idea can’t get here soon enough. I’m truly saddened by Valiant’s fall.
So far all his covers have all been snatched up "in-house" fresh off the drawing board. I may have some interiors for Eniac available at some point.
Currently, the SAVE NOW 8-page story by Kindt with art by Tomas Giorello is available as a complete set (including character designs & some patch panels). PM me for details!
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Who allowed 50 different fonts to be put into the dialogue on every page? It's so messy it's impossible to read just on that level and that's not even getting to the story.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

sonicdan
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

I would rather re-read both volumes of Bad Eggs than this crap-load of a comic. facepalm
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

🗑🗑🗑
#StayValiant

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

So, after reading Savage #1, i think i'm prepared to concede defeat.
I have been patient and gave DMG a chance to take over these titles and make them enjoyable.
Unfortunately, this was unreadable. I gave up around page 10.
I'm really at a loss in regards to what i do now. i don't feel the current Valiant deserves any more of my money, yet i have every issue released for VEI and would love to keep that going.

As a disclaimer, I am a 50 year white heterosexual male, so i believe my opinion isn't valid or part of Valiant's target audience. I just have a high disposable income that i'll have to direct elsewhere, i suppose.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:02:04 pm.

As a disclaimer, I am a 50 year white heterosexual male, so i believe my opinion isn't valid or part of Valiant's target audience. I just have a high disposable income that i'll have to direct elsewhere, i suppose.
Yep, you nailed it! Most long time Valiant readers will be a similar demographic and for reasons only known internally with fake Valiant they’ve decided to chase a mythical market that no ones ever seen but all comic companies are convinced is out there. I haven’t read Savage after reading the preview and seeing the art I’m not supporting that garbage. I did see a review referring to the ‘hunky teenage hero’ and I was reaffirmed in my decision.

I hear what you are saying about keeping a run going as I’ve been doing that with XO but haven’t tracked down #4 yet but I know when I do I’ll regret buying it.

At this stage I think it’s better if they go under and clear out the management / editors and maybe someone new takes over down the line. Spend your money elsewhere ..Bad Idea, get into back issues, indies such as Stray Bullets. You’ll only feel resentful buying crap you don’t like . Dinesh said when DMG bought him out they’d turn it onto Acclaim 2.0 and he was spot on.