XO-ManOwar #2 2020

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
XO-ManOwar #2 2020

Post by nonplayer »

It has been a long long long time since getting a comic.
Finally issue #2 comes out.
I am not thrilled about the issue But it is the first comic in a long long long time. Nastalgia and the fact its been a long long long time since getting a book plays a big part in my grade for this issue.

As a fan of XO since the 90's Ive seen it change and flow over the years.
Since 2012 we have had no mention of the little girl who became the armor. "Spoilers" sorry but not sorry. And suddenly she is speaking like a friend, in the least a trusted ali.
If it is infact her because we've not seen a back story or she being adressed to by name no friendship has been established. She just blabs and blabs. "Hear him out Aric"
Suddenly the armor can reason and what? be a people person! can relate and understand human intellect and can offer advice to Aric? And he listens
So there's that!

Ive seen Aric catch a huge metor like a baseball and your telling me a fire is to hot for the both of them?
Um ok quick move! Face palm\

I got interupted by work wile reading this so Ya that bites.

Why does Aric just trust some guy with murder bots? Wouldnt he talk to capshaw and get the run down on this guy?

The art was great no quams there but it was a choppy read today. And the armor blabbing through me off.
I'll read it again tomorrow.
I wanna say 5 out of 10 but our regular rating system I give it 3/5 because its been so so so long since a comic has gotten into my gruby hands taimos.
I Miss the good old days.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: XO-ManOwar #2 2020

Post by nonplayer »

Crazy a$$ theory
Ya know what would be really cool and I could forgive no back story on the little girl or them becoming trusted friends is if this story over a few arcs. Aric and the armor fell in love and when he take the armor off they hump.
and here is the kicker its the armors way of tricking him into allowing the amor to duplicate. If its been turned off by livewire. This is the work around for the armor.
So the kid becomes an enamy. An enamy thats power is equil to Aric and the armor.
( except fire is a weakness for Aric and the armor)
Together they must take it down. But the Armor has feeling for it and wont let Aric kill it Until it comes to earth and the final show down happens.
I Miss the good old days.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Before reading this I re-read issue #1 and that was worse than I remembered it! Aptly named “hopeless” Hallum does not have a clue who Aric is or what makes XO such an interesting character (spoiler alert - he isn’t anymore) or even the basics of his power set (he’s not super powered and can’t break basketball boards with a ball, he can’t fly without armour). The ‘witty banter’ from Shanhara is so tedious and unlike anything that came before but now it takes up 50% of the book. facepalm Not to mention the homeless woman who can fix a car that was thrown into the sea :o WHAAAAAAT?!?

On to issue #2. It’s just as bad as issue #1.

Aric living with this single parent in Harlem seems so forced and adds nothing to the story. What’s Hallum’s plan here I wonder? Is this how he crow bars police brutality into series so he can be (fake news) ‘topical’? Trigger happy cops who shoot at kids? Heather Antos must have loved that part.

The ‘humour’ in this book is written toward 16 year old babysitters which I think is what Heather Antos must think the Valiant fan base is. I’ve never read Gwen Pool but I imagine it’s similar to this garbage.

The main gist of the story of the story is about a billionaire Tony Stark lookalike who is manipulating Aric and as Aric is so weak willed now he pretty much gives up straight away and beg for help. :?

This is crass stuff from a writer who is either C level or just phoning it in.

More cartoony art from DMG Valiant, for some reasoned seemed much heavier inked than issue #1 and looked gloomy.

1/5 - Very poor book, put this alongside Bloodshot as more examples of the current editors ineptitude in how to run the company from a creative perspective.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:46:04 am
1/5 - Very poor book, put this alongside Bloodshot as more examples of the current editors ineptitude in how to run the company from a creative perspective.
With all of the delays in comics, I am impressed you waited for this one.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

tarheelmarine wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:54:38 am
With all of the delays in comics, I am impressed you waited for this one.
I’m a glutton for punishment :?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

wow, its really interesting how much they are making changes to the character that was introduced in 2012. Like they think they are fixing things wrong with him but actually they dont understand whats so great about him.

Valiant is starting to feel like its run by creative people who dont have the skills yet to do a good job but who are also inexperienced enough to not only not see that but actually think they are more talented than the people from the 90s and from the 2012s. the new talking suit must be someone remembering that 8th grade creative writing adage 'give the character someone to talk to' right?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:20:06 pm the new talking suit must be someone remembering that 8th grade creative writing adage 'give the character someone to talk to' right?
Exactly right! Now the suit dominates the book, it’s lazy writing and very very tedious!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

syzhang28 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:20:06 pm wow, its really interesting how much they are making changes to the character that was introduced in 2012. Like they think they are fixing things wrong with him but actually they dont understand whats so great about him.

Valiant is starting to feel like its run by creative people who dont have the skills yet to do a good job but who are also inexperienced enough to not only not see that but actually think they are more talented than the people from the 90s and from the 2012s. the new talking suit must be someone remembering that 8th grade creative writing adage 'give the character someone to talk to' right?
This comment is gold. Astute. :thumb:

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

I actually didn't think this was as bad as the first issue. There are still problems that are meh though. First thing why introduce evil billionaire tech guy, you had one already the guy who created the Armorines could've brought him back and just from this issue also reintroduced the good Armorines. Second, talking armor adds nothing. Third, the whole hanging out with a random family thing. Trying to actually call Aric a superhero with a straight face is just off with how he's usually presented.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

#2 was significantly more readable than #1. I have to believe there was a course correction made after #1 and COVID hit to cause a nine month gap in issues. Shanhara is no where near as grating. Aric is no where near as stupid. The plot is no where near as pointless. It may not be the X-O you want, but it is definitely a massive improvement over #1.

That said, it's a pretty bland comic book. It's not other worldly bad like #1. It's also not Bloodshot stupid in story. It's just pretty rote superhero storytelling.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Yes, maybe the second issue is slightly better than the first.

I still have a hard time thinking I will have to spend another 40 bucks on the next 10 issues.

Damn those bundles!

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

The ‘humour’ in this book is written toward 16 year old babysitters which I think is what Heather Antos must think the Valiant fan base is. I’ve never read Gwen Pool but I imagine it’s similar to this garbage.
How dare you compare Gwenpool to this drivel?

But for real though, Gwenpool is surprisingly great, and really funny.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:36:37 am

I’ve never read it tbh it looks goofy :lol: Since they review I’ve heard a better comparison of this dire take on XO..Booster Gold! With the annoying flying robot thing..even if you like Booster Gold, this is not XO Manowar!

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:35:15 am
TheFerg714 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:36:37 am

I’ve never read it tbh it looks goofy :lol: Since they review I’ve heard a better comparison of this dire take on XO..Booster Gold! With the annoying flying robot thing..even if you like Booster Gold, this is not XO Manowar!
Oh, it's goofy, but like in a good way.

Booster Gold is a perfect comparison. Makes me think Hopeless did it purposefully.