Rai #6 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rai #6 Discussion

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

This issue is great. I could listen to Rai & Raijin all day, and I really like that Positronic Roman legion from Rome-mania.

The only problem with this series is it's almost too much world building and setup that it takes too long to get to the final (or next) confrontation with Bloodfather.

Is Ray popping up on Lula's screen really a failsafe or Bloodfather's doing, too?

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!
Re: Rai #6 Discussion

Post by geocarr »

Someone on FB said something about 4001 and Britannia. I haven't read Rai yet and don't care about spoilers so can someone explain that to me?
***Support your local farmers!***

Sunlight on Snow

geocarr wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:57:06 am Someone on FB said something about 4001 and Britannia. I haven't read Rai yet and don't care about spoilers so can someone explain that to me?
If you're wondering whether or not there is a connection to Britannia......I don't see it that way.

The Positronic Roman legion is from a crashed Entertainment Sector (called Rome-Mania).

They certainly don't say anything about Antonius Axia and the Vestal Virgins. :lol:

geocarr
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:43:44 am
geocarr wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:57:06 am Someone on FB said something about 4001 and Britannia. I haven't read Rai yet and don't care about spoilers so can someone explain that to me?
If you're wondering whether or not there is a connection to Britannia......I don't see it that way.

The Positronic Roman legion is from a crashed Entertainment Sector (called Rome-Mania).

They certainly don't say anything about Antonius Axia and the Vestal Virgins. :lol:
Ok, thanks! I couldn't picture that connection in my head through what I read on FB and couldn't get anymore clarity from FB either.
***Support your local farmers!***

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Excellent issue! Re-read #5 beforehand as it’s been a while which was useful as a character who appeared minor in that issue appears to be a bigger player in future issues. Dan Abnett is a glimmer of light in these Valiant dark times and I hope Valiant fans are getting behind it.

Abnett continues to fresh out this new world since New Japan fell to Earth. We continue to meet new characters whilst existing characters intertwine into the story. Interesting Appearance of ‘Ray’ on screen , what does it mean ?

Love the use of rain/weather in this issue, the very first page really sets the mood, Ryp does a great job in this issue.

4/5 - Definite recommend :thumb:

Sunlight on Snow

Hehe, I re-read everything incl. Fallen World.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:30:55 am Love the use of rain/weather in this issue, the very first page really sets the mood, Ryp does a great job in this issue.
Yup, from the rain, to the fog and all the flies. Ryp and 'house are killing it. Colorists need to be praised/mentioned more. Coloring Ryp must be fun but also very tedious and time-consuming. Anyhow, Andrew Dalhouse is doing a wonderful job. The entire creative team is. This is how Valiant books are supposed to be. Obviously, Abnett is getting it (done). Just like he said in July's Compass Point.....

(all writers and creative teams should read this before they start thinking about and working on a Valiant story)

ps. I really like the "do not resize" option and then postimg is scaling it down from 1200 to 800 px.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Yes to the post above !

Why Abnett’s run is working so well (in contrast to other series) :

1. The characterisation of Rai is recognisable and consistent to what’s come before.
2. The continuity is in place and continues in a logical manner (not totally disregarded)
3. Established characters and new characters are blended in easily in new interesting stories.
4. There’s no overtly biased politics or agenda being pushed, just good stories.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

All this positivity about a new VEI book, it is almost like Dallow's account got hacked.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:28:32 am All this positivity about a new VEI book, it is almost like Dallow's account got hacked.
:lol: Not true ...I’ve been a fan of this series since it started, especially since #3.

cthulhu73
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Not sure

Post by cthulhu73 »

Very much enjoying it as well. I wonder if we'll be seeing Armstrong, Ivar, or another time traveler. Possibly a Shadowman of the era?

Sunlight on Snow

cthulhu73 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:11:28 pm Very much enjoying it as well. I wonder if we'll be seeing Armstrong, Ivar, or another time traveler. Possibly a Shadowman of the era?
That's why I mentioned in the other discussion that it would have been cool if they had introduced another UNITY team in Doctor Tomorrow.

X-O, GIN-GR, Ank and Neela, and Capshaw would make a wonderful team and the UNITY book could cover different timelines.

Neela already traveled back in time with XO (in #50). This team-up would come naturally, and bring us so much closer to bringing Antonius Axia and Achillia together with the rest of the universe. Damn, if I was a comic book writer I would even pitch a clever story line.

cthulhu73
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Not sure

Post by cthulhu73 »

I like the way you think.