XO Manowar [2020] #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
XO Manowar [2020] #1 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

Now it’s my turn to comment this - wow, no one wants to discuss the new XO, eh? Timing is bad of course, with the pandemic and the self-isolating and all the shutdown/lockdown activity happening, etc.

I’ve read the issue and I think it’s absolutely atrocious, and a disgraceful entry in the XO/Valiant universe. These guys should be ashamed of themselves for publishing it - might actually be worse than the infamous ”XO bike” idea.

There is a new OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Quantum & Woody (2020) #3];

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr243/
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: XO Manowar [2020] #1 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

When they relaunched the title with Matt Kindts take on it, I was a little disappointed that they decided to ignore past continuity for the most part to tell a fresh tale, but in that case the continuity was not chucked out the window so much as just set aside while we jumped forward in time a bit.

*This* atrocity of a comic has decided to just flat out ignore everything we know about Aric & Shanhara and is just some light-hearted, feel-good juvenile nonsense using the barest skeleton of a familiar and well loved character as an excuse to call it XO. The saddest thing about it is that it will be someone’s first XO comic and thus sets the bar low for their expectations of what the character is all about.

I mean, they advertised it as “buddy comedy meets sci-fi”. What the-f?! It’s a joke.
Last edited by grendeljd on Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:05:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I sincerely feel bad for anyone who is spending more than $4 for a copy of this comic. I feel bad for anyone even wasting *that* much money on it. But anyone who has bought multiple cover variants, and especially anyone who has spent big money on any higher-ratio variants, has been utterly duped and robbed.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:04:50 pm Now it’s my turn to comment this - wow, no one wants to discuss the new XO, eh? Timing is bad of course, with the pandemic and the self-isolating and all the shutdown/lockdown activity happening, etc.

I’ve read the issue and I think it’s absolutely atrocious, and a disgraceful entry in the XO/Valiant universe. These guys should be ashamed of themselves for publishing it - might actually be worse than the infamous ”XO bike” idea.

There is a new OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Quantum & Woody (2020) #3];

Still haven’t received my copy but I started to fear the worst when I read the preview pages in the back of the latest books and when I heard it described on twitter as a ‘buddy cop’ book?! :? If the usually mild mannered Grendel is scathing (or ‘triggered’ if you will :lol: ) then it *must* be bad!

No idea when I’ll get my copy but I’ll pitch in when I do!

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

The writing's been on the wall since this new crew took over, not only are none of them Valiant fans, they can't be bothered to do more than a cursory glance at the comics that have come before. On top of that they seem to have an active disdain for the action adventure genre that these comics have always been. I get that it's just a part of the larger 'culture war' that's raging, but it seems so ludicrous. It's like if someone bought a washing machine company but they actually thought that using a machine to wash clothes is destroying the environment. So the machines they make do a terrible job at washing clothes because none of the people working there believe that washing machines should even exist. Then when you complain that these machines have gotten worse and now they suck at washing clothes, they just say you're an evil human being who wants to destroy the environment with your hateful wash machines. WHAT?!

To be honest, I hope that the suspension of publishing at Valiant is permanent until these characters are able to find different caretakers. Which will get harder and harder the more the brand and characters get damaged by these kinds of books. No new comics would be better than this. Even the people who were defending this stuff seemed to have disappeared. Trying to think of positive way to end this (see this is why I don't post much :lol: ) Well done on the podcast and stay well Valiant fans.

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

Garbage.
Totally ignores Venditti and Kindt’s run.
Feels like an acclaim series.
They should call it X-O: Rising Spirit.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Ryan wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:43:46 pm The writing's been on the wall since this new crew took over, not only are none of them Valiant fans,
I haven't read the book except for the previews in other books, but I've already seen it doesn't excite me.

But one thing I can say is although I don't know about the staff on THIS book other staff are carryovers from VEI and I have trouble seeing them as not Valiant fans.

I'm thinking about Dr. Tomorrow Albona but also the guy who replaced Warren as cheif editor. Didn't he give an interview with some podcast where he fought for a chance to be an intern at VEI?

I will say I'm glad they finally gave Shanhara a voice. The rest of the comic may be garbage, but THAT has been needed. All throughout the VEI run of XO they talk about Shanhara communicating and being a separate intelligence and being sentient. I never ever saw that sentience exhibited in published VEI (although granted I haven't read all VEI XO)

I just hate that the voice is so snarky and argumentative. I realize drama needs conflict in the story, but these guys are supposed to be in symbiosis.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

grendeljd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:04:50 pm the infamous ”XO bike” idea.
I haven't heard of that!
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

grendeljd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:04:50 pm wow, no one wants to discuss the new XO, eh? Timing is bad of course, with the pandemic and the self-isolating and all the shutdown/lockdown activity happening, etc.
I honestly don't get this. I mean when I'm stuck in the apartment I have very little to do EXCEPT read my comics and play on my phone. (And pester my wife for ... attention)

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:04:50 pm Now it’s my turn to comment this - wow, no one wants to discuss the new XO, eh? Timing is bad of course, with the pandemic and the self-isolating and all the shutdown/lockdown activity happening, etc.

Wow, XO must be BAD!!! Even Sean came on to give it the thumbs down :o It sounds horrendously awful. Good to hear Chris back dropping some much needed truth bombs. Now DBS has gone AWOL?

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:46:59 am

Wow, XO must be BAD!!! Even Sean came on to give it the thumbs down :o It sounds horrendously awful. Good to hear Chris back dropping some much needed truth bombs. Now DBS has gone AWOL?
Yeah even Sean and I were surprised that we were basically in agreement on this one and that's a rare thing when I get riled up about a book, hell even Shakes is *SQUEE* about this one, we all were.

DBS is going full out in the corona virus war room, no time for this tripe.

As usual VCR is keeping it real, thanks for listening.

mateo107
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

I really had hopes this would be the book that turned the ship around after an unimpressive year without the A-list characters for the most part. There hasn't really been any book that moves the Valiant universe forward in any meaningful way, and if X-O isn't going to do that then there's really not any reason for this book to exist. I didn't feel like I was seeing an old friend for the first time in a while, this Aric doesn't seem to remember or acknowledge the experiences I shared with him over the last 8 years.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

My aunt died corona virus screwing with life and now xo manowar sucks balls.

This year is absolutely the worst year.
I Miss the good old days.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

This was bad, really bad. The pencils down mandate might be a blessing in disguise. I brought the 1:25 variant off eBay, but got my money refunded because they was out of stock and hadn’t unlisted the book. I was very pleased, I don’t even care to keep the pre order edition I have... :? facepalm

Unpopular Opinion ... Dallow was right about Antos, the way she raves about this book on Twitter, how is she senior editor, how sway?!?!? And to think, her and Meyers responded to my Divinity inquiry on Twitter, and she was spearheading his return... :o facepalm :censored:
#StayValiant

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

agent_graves wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:07:23 pm This was bad, really bad. The pencils down mandate might be a blessing in disguise. I brought the 1:25 variant off eBay, but got my money refunded because they was out of stock and hadn’t unlisted the book. I was very pleased, I don’t even care to keep the pre order edition I have... :? facepalm

Unpopular Opinion ... Dallow was right about Antos, the way she raves about this book on Twitter, how is she senior editor, how sway?!?!? And to think, her and Meyers responded to my Divinity inquiry on Twitter, and she was spearheading his return... :o facepalm :censored:
You might not want to lump Meyers into that mix, as I don't think he's at Valiant any longer. Much like others who have exited, you kind of have to take a deep look in order to find the truths. Meyers (on twitter) has moved to Oregon (from NY) about a week ago. He responded to a tweet when someone asked him if he was a PNW guy now by saying yes, in fact he was. While Valiant is on pause right now (and not knowing Robert all that well), he could still have a telework agreement, but not still being somewhere in NY kind of speaks volumes.

Pure speculation (and I've heard from other birdies), but I think he was removed.
Moose

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:33:21 pm
agent_graves wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:07:23 pm This was bad, really bad. The pencils down mandate might be a blessing in disguise. I brought the 1:25 variant off eBay, but got my money refunded because they was out of stock and hadn’t unlisted the book. I was very pleased, I don’t even care to keep the pre order edition I have... :? facepalm

You might not want to lump Meyers into that mix, as I don't think he's at Valiant any longer. Much like others who have exited, you kind of have to take a deep look in order to find the truths. Meyers (on twitter) has moved to Oregon (from NY) about a week ago. He responded to a tweet when someone asked him if he was a PNW guy now by saying yes, in fact he was. While Valiant is on pause right now (and not knowing Robert all that well), he could still have a telework agreement, but not still being somewhere in NY kind of speaks volumes.

Pure speculation (and I've heard from other birdies), but I think he was removed.
He was there when he responded, and tagged Antos in the tweet, who then chimed in to reassure me they had plans for my favorite Valiant character. I also seen the tweet about him heading out west. Of course now, with the state of the industry, who knows what will become of Valiant!
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

agent_graves wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:07:23 pm Unpopular Opinion ... Dallow was right about Antos, the way she raves about this book on Twitter, how is she senior editor, how sway?!?!? And to think, her and Meyers responded to my Divinity inquiry on Twitter, and she was spearheading his return... :o facepalm :censored:
Unpopular opinion!!? :o :lol: Charming! Unpopular with the vociferous minority maybe (they’ve been quiet lately)!
IMO Meyers is culpable as he allowed Antos et al to do what they wanted , he ‘trusted their instinct’ aka abdicating responsibility. I hope he has gone as how many chances can you give someone? The only problem is that he’s been replaced with people with a track record of failed books and crazily low sales (at Valiant).

I’m referring to Valiant as Acclaim 2.0 for the foreseeable

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992

Post by possumgrease »

This was a bad book. I’m going stop being so hard on Dead Drop.

This was my first valiant purchase in several months.

It was worse than I expected.

And I expected a subpar book.

On the bright side, at least it failed spectacularly.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Wow, this is one of the and possibly the saddest thread I've ever read on this board. :(
***Support your local farmers!***

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

nonplayer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:24:33 am My aunt died corona virus screwing with life ... absolutely the worst year
Sorry to hear about that, dude. Very sorry. And hitting one of our own. I know it's coming for me, too, and almost everyone here. It probably isn't the first (I suspect other disappeared folks are similarly in mourning) and certainly won't be the last.

Your post has me wondering what my next two weeks are going to be like.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

possumgrease wrote:This was a bad book. I’m going stop being so hard on Dead Drop.

One follow up to my post: If this book had been called “Roxxo and Zippy” and wasn’t set in the Valiant universe, it would have been a fine tale without much meat. So it’s not that the creators made a bad comic; they just made a bad Valiant comic.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Oxmyx wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:02:39 pm
nonplayer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:24:33 am My aunt died corona virus screwing with life ... absolutely the worst year
Sorry to hear about that, dude. Very sorry. And hitting one of our own. I know it's coming for me, too, and almost everyone here. It probably isn't the first (I suspect other disappeared folks are similarly in mourning) and certainly won't be the last.

Your post has me wondering what my next two weeks are going to be like.
Thanks buddy. Ive bairly had time to morn with covid bs happening.
Im still working luckily but its been very stress full much better now that my building is closed to the public.
And now xo my favorite all time comic is getting the worst reviews since dead drop.
I Miss the good old days.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

possumgrease wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:30:59 pm
possumgrease wrote:This was a bad book. I’m going stop being so hard on Dead Drop.

One follow up to my post: If this book had been called “Roxxo and Zippy” and wasn’t set in the Valiant universe, it would have been a fine tale without much meat. So it’s not that the creators made a bad comic; they just made a bad Valiant comic.
I agree there, the art was pretty enjoyable.
Moose

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Grendeljd was quoted on Twitter and then a story was done by the Quartering about Heather Antos and her liberal nonsense where he also cited this post.

The Quartering Video: This Single Tweet Is Why Comics Are Failing...

If I dropped Valiant because there were too many variants in the past, I remained away because the content grew poorer and poorer, and I'll never come back to anything that Antos works on. I've read way too much nonsense from her and seen way too many entitled and vitriolic tweets. I've never interacted with her at all, but given the framework of her statements, I don't have any desire to.
nonplayer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:24:33 am My aunt died corona virus screwing with life and now xo manowar sucks balls.

This year is absolutely the worst year.
Sorry, brother.

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

So, I finally got around to reading this. It's a Marvel book. I liked the art, and the actual writing from Dennis Hopeless was good, but it was a Marvel book. I have for the most part dropped Marvel because their style doesn't suit me anymore. I'm a big ole bleeding heart liberal who doesn't care about a creator's politics, as long as the comics are good. And this was just mediocre. If it had been a new character I would even say I liked it! But this isn't X-O.

It's nowhere near as bad as Acclaim X-O, which I'm currently reading out of morbid curiosity, but it's a sign that they aren't trying to keep the characters in-character. And that's a failure in the editing department. I think it was the soap opera writer Douglas Marland who said "if a fan says that a character would never do something that you have written, then you have failed as a writer". Antos being a liberal SJW whatever isn't the problem. Her not being a very good editor is the problem. How do you get someone with talent who has written the X-Men, and not rein them in when they pitch something completely alien to the X-O story?

Aric is a visigoth out of his time with one of the greatest weapons in the universe, not Spider-Man. Still, as disappointing as this was, as an isolated issue of a comic it wasn't bad and I'll stick with it for the foreseeable future. And I can see why a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't read Valiant are praising it. You just probably shouldn't alter the biggest character in your roster to appeal to a new readership, when it will only alienate your old readership.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.