Dr. Tomorrow #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Dr. Tomorrow #1 Discussion

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

BugsySig wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:05:22 am
armlessphelan wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:16:41 pm Um...who says Dr. Tomorrow takes place in another universe? Nothing in the 1st issue suggests that. So far it just seems like typical time travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't mean to suggest that the book takes place in another universe, just that future Dr. Tomorrow said he came from a parallel universe.
Hmmm...must have missed that...does he mean “potential future” instead? Neela’s involvement would suggest time traveler and not parallel universe.
DocTom: "I'm not you from your future. I came here from a parallel universe. It's very complicated science."

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:05:22 am
armlessphelan wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:16:41 pm Um...who says Dr. Tomorrow takes place in another universe? Nothing in the 1st issue suggests that. So far it just seems like typical time travel.

Didn't mean to suggest that the book takes place in another universe, just that future Dr. Tomorrow said he came from a parallel universe.
Hmmm...must have missed that...does he mean “potential future” instead? Neela’s involvement would suggest time traveler and not parallel universe.
DocTom: "I'm not you from your future. I came here from a parallel universe. It's very complicated science."
Yeah...ok...I don’t get much sleep these days...time for a reread before issue 2...if it ever comes out...

Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

I just finished listening to the Get Valiant! Podcast #147 interview with Alejandro Arbona, writer on Doctor Tommorow.

I really appreciate these guys doing these interviews.

There was one spoiler (of sorts) that slipped through. Some folks have wondered aloud if maybe BOTH the opening scene universe and the main story were alternate universes. That'd have been a cool twist, to be pretty sure you were finally in "our" VU, then be surprised.

But Arbona is pretty clear that Doc T reaches the "proper Valiant Universe" in the main story.

Question... did anyone spot Ivar in the opening battle in the alternate universe? I didn't. I didn't see Armstrong either. I thought I might have seen a yellow bearded Archer though. What do you think?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:34:19 pm
BugsySig wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:21:53 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Only if Nemesis, Bravado, and Jack Rapid came with Hadrian or future DocTom.
I honestly don’t know who those people are.
Then you haven't read the Operation: Stormbreaker one-shot by Acclaim (DocTom's first appearance) or don't remember it in detail.
This exchange was actually very interesting to me. I just listened to the Arbona interview and he mentioned some Easter Egg characters that weren't in the VU but I had no idea that this is what he meant. Sunlight, did you pick up on this yourself? Or did you see it posted somewhere?

Now I might want to search out the Stormbreaker comic to add to my collection.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Sunlight on Snow

Oxmyx wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:13:27 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Only if Nemesis, Bravado, and Jack Rapid came with Hadrian or future DocTom.
Then you haven't read the Operation: Stormbreaker one-shot by Acclaim (DocTom's first appearance) or don't remember it in detail.
This exchange was actually very interesting to me. I just listened to the Arbona interview and he mentioned some Easter Egg characters that weren't in the VU but I had no idea that this is what he meant. Sunlight, did you pick up on this yourself? Or did you see it posted somewhere?

Now I might want to search out the Stormbreaker comic to add to my collection.
Yes, all by myself. I read the Operation: Stormbreaker one-shot and original Doctor Tomorrow series at least 3 times though and the 3 cameos are from members of the original Stormbreakers team -- DocTom, Bravado, Jack Rapid, Nemesis, and Warmaster who happens to be Acclaim's Gilad Anni-Padda because Acclaim doesn't have the one and only Eternal Warrior but the Eternal Warriors aka the 3 Anni-Paddas who also happen to be members of the Forever Family. LOL

By the way.....in the Pre-Order Edition of issue #1 Arbona also confirms the first scene happened in an alternate universe. Everything else appears to take place in "the" Valiant Universe.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:23:05 am
Oxmyx wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:13:27 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:16:41 pm Um...another universe?
Nemesis, Bravado, and Jack Rapid
Operation: Stormbreaker one-shot by Acclaim
interesting to me. ... Sunlight, did you pick up on this yourself?
Yes, all by myself.
:clap: I applaud you, sir. I just googled all those characters this morning.

So, let me ask you, since you are apparently reading thoughtfully, it seems to me that we have no information at all suggesting Dr. Tomorrow has powers. I mean, he could, and techno-telepathy psiot powers would sure fit him, but he appears to be have all his powers come from his future suit (which in turn is powered by Dark Fluid, I think). What do you think?

So, is DocT essentially Iron Man with a cape and from the future?

Sunlight on Snow

Oxmyx wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:17:25 am So, let me ask you, since you are apparently reading thoughtfully, it seems to me that we have no information at all suggesting Dr. Tomorrow has powers. I mean, he could, and techno-telepathy psiot powers would sure fit him, but he appears to be have all his powers come from his future suit (which in turn is powered by Dark Fluid, I think). What do you think?

So, is DocT essentially Iron Man with a cape and from the future?
Seems that way. Just like the original Doctor Tomorrow wasn't super-powered without his gadgets and vehicles based on future technology (the Angel Computer).

I don't think his suit is as powerful and protective as Iron Man's though. At least not DocTom's. Hadrian('s suit) is certainly more powerful.