Bloodshot (2019) #2 discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Bloodshot (2019) #2 discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Helllloooo ....is the the Valiant fans dedicated website? Are there any of us left? Am I last man (or woman or they) standing?

Ok well if anyone stumbles across this site in future excavations then here is my hot take on Bloodshot (2019) #2....

Frantic, non-stop fight scene, unrealistic mid-fight dialogue, 1990’s art style and character designs, a main character who can now repair any wound within a split second (no protein needed), a bizarre plot line of helping people he wronged in the past (?)....BUT...there was no singing so that was a plus!

This book is mediocre at best and mediocre is not worthy of the Valiant logo IMO. Another misstep by whoever is in charge of creative direction and with the Bloodshot film just around the corner then this seems like a huge missed opportunity that new readers will see this book as their first introduction to the character.

In fact, the timing of the film release and the current low point in the Valiant books leads me to think Valiant is a cursed company, always snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They got rid of Shooter in VH1 and the quality of the books fell off a cliff and the company eventually went kaput. Now we have clueless people in charge giving us poor creative teams and pushing books no one was asking for (Roku, Forgotten Queen, Dr Mirage) facepalm

Just look at the lack of interest in this section of Valiantfans.com, no one wants to comment on these tedious books! Come at me KJ :P

I’ll be generous and give this book 3/5...but I’m not sure why I’m scoring so high.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Re: Bloodshot (2019) #2 discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Are there any of us left? Am I last man (or woman or they) standing?

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Helllloooo ....is the the Valiant fans dedicated website? Are there any of us left? Am I last man (or woman or they) standing?

Ok well if anyone stumbles across this site in future excavations then here is my hot take on Bloodshot (2019) #2....

Frantic, non-stop fight scene, unrealistic mid-fight dialogue, 1990’s art style and character designs, a main character who can now repair any wound within a split second (no protein needed), a bizarre plot line of helping people he wronged in the past (?)....BUT...there was no singing so that was a plus!

This book is mediocre at best and mediocre is not worthy of the Valiant logo IMO. Another misstep by whoever is in charge of creative direction and with the Bloodshot film just around the corner then this seems like a huge missed opportunity that new readers will see this book as their first introduction to the character.

In fact, the timing of the film release and the current low point in the Valiant books leads me to think Valiant is a cursed company, always snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They got rid of Shooter in VH1 and the quality of the books fell off a cliff and the company eventually went kaput. Now we have clueless people in charge giving us poor creative teams and pushing books no one was asking for (Roku, Forgotten Queen, Dr Mirage) facepalm

Just look at the lack of interest in this section of Valiantfans.com, no one wants to comment on these tedious books! Come at me KJ :P

I’ll be generous and give this book 3/5...but I’m not sure why I’m scoring so high.
This was very well said.
My first thought was what hes jumping into a chopper blade. Then next scine its dialog with some people I hadnt seen before or didnt remember. Did they show the pink chick. I found the dialog weird. Grunts and waagummm wtf.
Nobody posts because nobody has anything positive to say.
Dmg should hire one of us long time fans to be the assistant to the assistant editor
I Miss the good old days.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

2.75 wtf is going on taimos

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

Frankly, the books haven't even been worth my time to comment on. I had hopes that a new Bloodshot book could turn things around but that wasn't meant to be. This series is better than the last one, but that's not saying much. I don't feel any connection to the characters and nothing feels connected to anything that came before. I think I've just been sticking around because I've collected everything VEI has made and I'm not expecting it to go on that much longer.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Are there any of us left? Am I last man (or woman or they) standing?
What score did you give this book DBS?

Chris - if you’re reading this post, what score did you give this book?

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:
What score did you give this book DBS?

Chris - if you’re reading this post, what score did you give this book?
He'd have to read it to taimo it up.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

After reading this issue I've decided to drop Bloodshot from my pull-list. This is the first Valiant title since I starting reading comics following the reboot in 2012 I've dropped mid story arc.

Action - yes
nice art - yes (if you're into that 90's comic feel)
good story - no
solid characterization - no
in-continuity - no (at lease it doesn't read that way)

I won't go on and on about how bad this (and the 8 issue series prior) is but will say, Valiant had something pretty good in the pre-DMG era as it relates to this character and now it doesn't.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

you look around on Social Media, and there are a lot of people who are very positive about this book. It baffles me that they think this is good! I want to ask them if they have read anything prior to this regarding Bloodshot, if that stuff is good/better/same, but I just don't want to get into it.
Moose

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

I'm down with Booth's art. The blue, red, or fire color scheme still doesn't work. The writing and story are pitiful.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

SwiftMann wrote:I'm down with Booth's art. The writing and story are pitiful.
+1 That pretty much sums it up... :?
#StayValiant

CongoBill
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Livewire
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by CongoBill »

I couldn't even get through issue #1 so I'm not going to bother with this one. So is everybody missing Jeff Lemire at this point? I know some complained during his runs on Bloodshot Reborn and Bloodshot Salvation but I always found them very readable and, overall, I really enjoyed them. These new books (to me) are not even readable. There are too many good comics out there to waste time on crappy comics. I am the only one at my LGS who asks them to order Valiant books and I'm cutting it off. Such a shame.