ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Official Calendar |
It is currently Oct 16, 2019 5:52:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:10:03 pm 
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27:03 am
Posts: 4747
Location: Maryland
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
This week, Chris and I step all over each other as we attack this hybrid beast out of constructive love while insulting the comic book industry and all millennials.

Not to be missed! :thumb:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr212/

_________________
DBS

Image

Image
Image
Image

MY COLLECTION: http://tinyurl.com/DBSValiantCollection
MY CAF PAGE: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=100809


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:35:18 am 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19:05 am
Posts: 1711
Location: United Kingdom
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Solid issue, not as good as issues #1 and #2 but still enjoyable. Linking the story to War Mother was good (apart from the talking gun - yuk) and the refugees blowing up the city was a nice twist too. Overall it had good momentum and is easily 2nd best book behind LADOTH.

Couple of minor gripes, the animal people were visually good but I hated the way elephant man spoke, seemed clichéd. Also, Rai kid’s missing arm switched from right to left, bit like Lula’s eye patch last issue. Between the artist and editor how does that happen?? The only thing I can think of is that the panel is ‘reversed’ for some reason so it’s not how the artist drew it? DBS/Grendel do you know why this is (you guys know about art)?

Another general peeve is the personality of Gilad, they seem to be making him more ‘jokey’, bit like Thor in the Marvel movies. Same with Bloodshot, everyone’s ‘quippy’, which is a bit tedious.

3.75/5 Good book!


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:42:22 am 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19:05 am
Posts: 1711
Location: United Kingdom
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
DirtbagSailor wrote:
This week, Chris and I step all over each other as we attack this hybrid beast out of constructive love while insulting the comic book industry and all millennials.

Not to be missed! :thumb:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr212/


I think the dude hanging around with Rai is just a plot device so they can talk (ie explain the story), a bit like how the XO armour now talks or War Mother’s gun. What wrong with using thought bubbles?

There are plans in place for more Fallen World, not sure when or the creative team but I hope Dan Abnett stays on the book and I’d be happy with Pollina’s art too.

Great discussion on the direction of the company fellas, totally agree with your points :thumb:

But the biggest plot twist this week...is Chris on Twitter?!? :o Or else how did he know about Dysart talking about SoS?

5/5 common sense taimos for the discussion :high-five:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:28:23 pm 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02:29 pm
Posts: 2976
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:
This week, Chris and I step all over each other as we attack this hybrid beast out of constructive love while insulting the comic book industry and all millennials.

Not to be missed! :thumb:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr212/


I think the dude hanging around with Rai is just a plot device so they can talk (ie explain the story), a bit like how the XO armour now talks or War Mother’s gun. What wrong with using thought bubbles?

There are plans in place for more Fallen World, not sure when or the creative team but I hope Dan Abnett stays on the book and I’d be happy with Pollina’s art too.

Great discussion on the direction of the company fellas, totally agree with your points :thumb:

But the biggest plot twist this week...is Chris on Twitter?!? :o Or else how did he know about Dysart talking about SoS?

5/5 common sense taimos for the discussion :high-five:


Not on Twitter, I got the link here.

Thanks for listening!


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:19:59 am 
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:09:42 pm
Posts: 187
Location: PA
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Solid issue, not as good as issues #1 and #2

I agree. But I'd say not nearly as good as issues #1 and #2. This meandered and was unfocused - four different plotlines that don't get enough momentum in their chopped up appearances. And I really hate the Geomancer looking like some late 90s Image character (Aphrodite IX, specifically in some panels). I had the same thoughts on the animal people too - good visual, poor dialogue.


I did really enjoy this exchange though.

WM: They call me War Mother.

EW: Fancy. Nice, chatty gun you got there.

_________________
"What kind of name is Unity for a superhero team anyway? They deserve to die for that alone." - Bloodsquirt, Bloodshot Reborn #5


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:22:27 am 
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:09:42 pm
Posts: 187
Location: PA
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
Great discussion on the direction of the company fellas, totally agree with your points :thumb:

Agreed.

Two things I weren't onboard with were 1) getting an animal men mini (that's Hip Flask folks) and 2) 4/5 for a book you both seemed middle of the road on.

I'm fairly new to the podcast, but, man, every week the ratings are so skewed to 3 and up. Except Bloodshot Rising, which no one would actually rate by the end.

_________________
"What kind of name is Unity for a superhero team anyway? They deserve to die for that alone." - Bloodsquirt, Bloodshot Reborn #5


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:30:43 am 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:34:56 pm
Posts: 1554
Location: North Carolina
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Finally caught up on this. So far so good. Continuity is intact and the art is pretty good, although I feel like Rai is a bit thin, and Gilad’s dialogue seems a bit off, but other than that, it’s aight. :thumb:

_________________
#StayValiant


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group