XO Manowar [2017] #20 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
XO Manowar [2017] #20 Discussion

Post by otomo »

First!

Slightly underwhelmed at the direction this took. No real fight to speak of they just kinda went with the guy in the ship all like "oh okay sounds good let's do this." I like the set up, it's interesting at the very least, but I'm really not invested in what's going on at the same time. It's kinda a weird thing.

Art has some wonky panels that look funky like an indie book, colors aren't super inspiring either. I'm glad they announced Tomas Giorello coming back to the book for #23.

7/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU
Re: XO Manowar [2017] #20 Discussion

Post by kinggirlfriend »

The artwork looks awesome and is nothing like an indie book. Andrew Dalhouse does the colors and he's as consistent and as great as ever. What are you talking about?!

I have problems with some of the direction DMG is taking but I really wonder what would make some of you guys happy. :roll:

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

kinggirlfriend wrote:The artwork looks awesome and is nothing like an indie book. Andrew Dalhouse does the colors and he's as consistent and as great as ever. What are you talking about?!

I have problems with some of the direction DMG is taking but I really wonder what would make some of you guys happy. :roll:
I'm not unhappy. 7/10 with some mild criticism means I'm enjoying it enough it's just not excellent.. I can take screen shots of the problem panels that look stiff/wonky...
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I liked this issue. 7/10 is fair. I liked the art. I like the story. And I like re visitung camp and the eden stuff that was set up so long ago. One of my big beefs is valiant set a bunch of stuff up but rarly re visit it so Im very happy to see them bring this into the fold. The woman trust aric so I understand this mission. Makes sence to me. Its a comic you cant expect 100% logic nor hindsight. Why dont they do this? how come that.
I liked camps words from the book. I hope for a big epic fight but some how I think its not going to happen which kinda takes away from an actul action comic. Remember Gilad and his choppy chop chop now thats action. Aric hasnt been good for a long wile. This issue is the best in a wile but if action doesnt happen or dmg doesnt stick the landing. Its for not and I'll be *SQUEE*. Dmg sucks royally and not being religious Ive started praying to god some how they learn to produce comics because Im at a point the few comics I do get will get less and less. So at the end of my rope.
I Miss the good old days.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Shadowman [2018] #8], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr183/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

otomo wrote:No real fight to speak of
There was ~4 pages of fight scenes. Why isn't that good enough on a second issue of a four issue arc, when the people fighting eachother aren't even enemies.

I also thought the art was incredible. Ryp is a god among men, and pretty much any colorist makes his artwork pop off the page. It's not 10/10 perfect, but it's a lot of fun, and I like all of the characters. It's a nice return to form after the absolute slog that was four months of Barbarians.

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

I don't know, I actually liked this one quite a bit...Sure, it's not a 10/10, but I'd score it about an 8

It was a good follow up to the last events of Eternity, and I actually like that they are bringing in other characters to the events of Eternity instead of keeping it contained solely to Divinity.

I also like how with New Eden and Camp (or Cartographer now) we possibly have a whole new realm and type of re-occurring Villain for the Valiant U. Really hoping they don't kill him off as with his abilities and ruling over New Eden, we have a whole villain type missing from Valiant before. We've barely even touched on his motivations, but he seems to be obsessed with knowledge, or forbidden knowledge, to map out and understand all aspects of reality and existence, and he's definitely a fanatic. It's interesting though that even though he now has power of his own, he's still obsessed with what he views as "gods", like those from the Unknown or Divinity. It's interesting because he's technically been touched by the Unknown now also, but still views himself as a pretender and raises all others from the unknown on a pedestal. Wonder what happens when he realizes he's equally gifted now, but in different ways to Divinity.

Also curious who the team is moving in on Capshaw. For some reason they remind me of insects/flies, and something about their masks and symbols on their suits remind me of Nurgle Marines from Warhammer 40K. Do they work for Camp? Or are they something else entirely?

Really interested in this new arc, probably the best one for the new X-O book since the original 12 issues.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Great issue. Great arc. Super art! I'm really loving this book again.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Yep, I enjoyed this issue quite a bit too. Agree with the sentiments above regarding David Camp/ Cartographer. He is developing into a very interesting new villain character. Although, he does seem to take himself a little too seriously.

Loved the artwork as well, I don’t understand how some people don’t like Ryp!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Best issue for a while. Interesting to see how Kindt loops things back to Eternity.

Is Atom-13 a kind of Magnus Robot Fighter character?

Atom-13’s wife looks like a Trinity Angel :hm: She spoke in binary, is she a robot?

“Identity is fluid”.... hmmmmm not sure if this was identity politics creeping in but let’s not dwell.

I thought the 4 dudes that came in at the end of the book could have been the Armorines? :?

I don’t think Dalhouse is a good match up for Ryp’s art, it makes it look too ‘clean’ IMO

3.75/5 - Moving in the right direction again, we need Kindt to stick the landing on this arc and get momentum back in the book :hope:

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Shadowman [2018] #8], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr183/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
Ps to the ‘OTV-ers’, just started a re-read of Divinity and the phrase ‘time is not absolute’ appears there too (issue #1) so it’s not a recent inclusion from Kindt.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

TheFerg714 wrote:
otomo wrote:No real fight to speak of
It's a nice return to form after the absolute slog that was four months of Barbarians.
I agree, I wasn't a fan of that arc, it really should have been one issue of flashback. I think 7/10 is fair for the new issue, not a lot going on, lots of setup, but I'm not a huge fan of the Divinity stuff.