Britannia: Lost Eagles Of Rome #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Britannia: Lost Eagles Of Rome #1 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& XO Manowar [2017] #17, & Harbinger Wars II #3], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr172/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Britannia: Lost Eagles Of Rome #1 Discussion

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

so far so good... got excited about it going to Egypt in another mini..before this issue resolved to be going there next.

Gill's art was more than serviceable, even if it lacks the charm that Ryps brought, I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Solid if not spectacular, similar to the first 2 mini series. I think to warrant the continuation of Britannia it either needs to be a seriously good stand alone or there needs to be a really clever link to the rest of the Valiant U.

Not usually a fan of Gill’s art but I thought this was the strongest I’ve seen from him.

3.75/5 Worth reading

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I really love these minis. I just wish they weren't set so far to the side of the rest of Valiant.

The Outcast
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Shadowman and Livewire
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Too many!
Favorite artist: Too Many

Post by The Outcast »

Man, why can't I get into this series. I really want to like it, it has everything I normally love. History, action, mystery. But I just get bored reading it....I know it's good at least, so it must just be me haha.
Pulls:
Valiant: Shadowman, Coffin: La Muerta

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Not usually a fan of Gill’s art but I thought this was the strongest I’ve seen from him.
Sorry to necro a thread but I've been waiting for the entire arc before reading. And I wanted to strongly agree: I've had issues from time to time with Gil's work but this is his best by far. Very well done.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Not usually a fan of Gill’s art but I thought this was the strongest I’ve seen from him.
Sorry to necro a thread but I've been waiting for the entire arc before reading. And I wanted to strongly agree: I've had issues from time to time with Gil's work but this is his best by far. Very well done.
Yep, after reading all 4 issues I think Gill has definitely improved. I still wouldn’t say he was A list but his art is much more consistent. In the past he’d have some outstanding panels (eg Book of Death where the bodies hang from a tree) and them some really dodgy panels mixed in.

I think it’s the way he draws faces has improved too, there’s more variety whereas before they were a bit ‘samey’.

He’s clearly working on his craft and it can only be applauded when you see someone’s hard work pay off.